EVGA 780 classifieds are released

WetMacula

Gawd
Got an email about 10 minutes ago the 780 classifieds are in stock at EVGA. I placed 2 separate orders (to avoid signature), then went back to the product page and it was already out of stock. If you want one, F5 the page now and see if any come back. Good luck.

Base Clock: 993 MHz (+130 over Vanilla)
Boost Clock: 1046 MHz (+144 over Vanilla)
Texture Fill Rate: 190.6 GT/s (+25 over Vanilla)
14+3 Power Phases
EVBot connection
++Power Target
Dual BIOS
Dual 8pin Power Input

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3788-KR
780 classified

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-BP-3788-B9
backplate

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1937399&mpage=1
link to EVGA forum for this model

Last edited:
this is the version for poor people that can't afford 4 sitting right next to each other

ACX cooler: the preferred cooler of the poor

looks terribad. would prefer fantastits

hmm, just got my ASUS DCIIOC, maybe I should exchange it for this.

I don't get this one. At first I was a little bummed that I hadn't waited for a Classified card to come out before buying my 780s but now that I see the ACX cooler...not so much. Why would anyone spend extra money on a Classified version with a cooler meant for single card use?

It should have twice the memory like its predecessors but I suspect the high price tag for Titan ruined any chance of that. EVGA should have at least provided a back plate. I don't know anything about chip manufacturing but I think they got us by the short hairs because production quantity is limited, the price is high, and high end cards sell out it minutes. From the diagram, the ACX cooler looks good. It has a solid plate, increasing surface area for heat transfer. I will have to inspect it up close to see if all the VRM's and memory chips make good contact. Installing two in SLI this weekend and will report back with temperatures. I've always used the blower style coolers. Not too concerned because my case has excellent ventilation and 780's run cooler than 580's. Time will tell.

rkWe01L.jpg

R48Wamk.jpg

wiJbPbI.jpg

Why the hell are all these hi-end cards always sold out?

People cry that the are soo expensive (and they are) but the cards still get sweeped off in minutes.

Who the hell buys them all out?
Why cant manufactures make enough stock for everyone?

Supply and demand. With no competition or regulation, they can do less work, jack the price up, and still make plan. This shipment of classifieds sold out less than five minutes from the time I received an email from EVGA. You think this is bad. Try buying ammo right now.

Edit: Or someone is hoarding the cards and reselling them in another market.

seen quite a few 690's hitting 600-50 lately

So what's the standout feature that makes these more desirable over the reference or other acx cooled 780s?
I know the classified in the past seemed well above par when compared to the reference cards. These seem......not so different, and $50 over a standard 780 doesn't seem like there can be a whole lot of difference. Maybe just cherry picked GPU's on a more heavy duty PCB?

So what's the standout feature that makes these more desirable over the reference or other acx cooled 780s?
I know the classified in the past seemed well above par when compared to the reference cards. These seem......not so different, and $50 over a standard 780 doesn't seem like there can be a whole lot of difference. Maybe just cherry picked GPU's on a more heavy duty PCB?

With all 780GTX's to the date being voltage locked at a max of 1.212v there is no difference (Nvidia would void their warranty if they were unlocked) . The only thing you can hope for is that they are cherry picking them in the classified, and even then it really wont make that large of a difference. Generally speaking you can expect it to OC to 1185MHz to 1230MHz, not a limitation by the card, tempature or power draw but that voltage lock.

It's a Classified version. Should have come with more memory. :)

Agreed but Nvidia told its partners not to do this as it would give the Titan no advantage in gaming. You will not see a 4.5GB/6GB 780GTX from any manufacture.

seen quite a few 690's hitting 600-50 lately

The 2GB of memory is what gets to me on that though, still would need to be cheaper to be worth it to me.

Last edited:
correct me if I'm wrong, but the classified cards differentiate themselves from the rest with a fatter custom pcb and more robust power management.

Pretty sure classified has the following: 14+3 Phase Power and dual bios. There is chatter about voltage change up to 1.35 with software and higher with evbot, but not confirmed. EVGA doesn't say much about the changes.

I like my MSI Asus N780 OC Gaming edition that is coming more. Better cooler, and probably perform just the same.

Get outta here! Green PCB or go home, son.

Hopefully nobody thinks i'm even remotely serious.

Last edited:
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-BP-3788-B9
backplates for 780 classified are in stock @ $20 each.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1937399&mpage=1
link to EVGA forum for this model.

Base Clock: 993 MHz (+130 over Vanilla)
Boost Clock: 1046 MHz (+144 over Vanilla)
Texture Fill Rate: 190.6 GT/s (+25 over Vanilla)
14+3 Power Phases
EVBot connection
++Power Target
Dual BIOS
Dual 8pin Power Input

also updated OP

Can you link me to the EVBot response from an Evga rep saying it has it? All I see in the forums was an initial no since people were trying to verify since it was in the pic, then an edit and he said stay tuned but that was on May 30th. Doesn't look good IMHO, it would be the only feature going for it that would make it worth the $50, well if they allow it to overvolt with EVBot .

EDIT:
Right from the website:
http://www.evga.com/articles/00746/#3788

EVGA ACX Cooler
14+3 Power Phases
++ Power Target
Dual BIOS
Dual 8pin Power Input

Doesn't have EVBot listed, I would imagine that would of been a big deal for a lot of people (me for one), if its not listed I would imagine its not on it.

Last edited:
Why does no one like the ACX cooler? I used a 760 ACX on a build and thought it was great compared to my SLI 670 power editions.

And now I have 2x ACX 780's coming in the mail... tomorrow...

Why does no one like the ACX cooler? I used a 760 ACX on a build and thought it was great compared to my SLI 670 power editions.

And now I have 2x ACX 780's coming in the mail... tomorrow...

It's a nice cooler. It's not better or worse than any of the other ones on the market, though.

My general opinion is if you're buying a plain aftermarket card, flip a coin. The windforce3, MSI Twin Frozr, Asus DC2, and ACX are all good. The only thing that differentiates these cards is load noise (they're all pretty close, although the MSI gamer series are the quietest) and the PCB quality.

If you're buying a reference card with an aftermarket cooler, flip a coin, basically. If you want a better PCB then look at the classified and lightning series - I can't comment on the Classified though, i'm not sure how that stacks up. We'll see soon enough I suppose? Aside from the horrible PCB color I imagine it will be a fine card ;)

The big deal with this card, is more to do with the rumor that it has voltage control up to 1.35 (can go higher with evbot).

If its voltage is unlocked, it is definitely worth it. Though, I'm going to hold off until the lightning shows up.

I'm pissed all these aftermarket cards with enhanced specs don't use blower coolers. It's like they don't want me to SLI unless I have some sort of large tower :(

I'm honestly not impressed with the acoustics of the ACX cooler when it's set to 40% idle speeds by default. Not sure if this is true for the Classified. Thankfully the techinferno bios allows a 26% idle fan speed custom profile -- without this I'd have probably returned the card and went with the MSI TF Gaming variant or Asus DCUII. Does a much better job at keeping the temps down vs the reference cooler though.

I find the acx cooler to be much quieter than my twin frozr 4's..

I have two 2150rpm gentle typhoons as side intakes so I'm not really worried about temperatures as much. Possibly too little, but my sli 670's never went over 71C with those intake fans

Back