EVGA 750i SLI FTW question

winuser2000

Limp Gawd
I just read the review on hardocp for this board and it looks solid. However there are a few cool Asus features I really like that im not sure this board comes with. I have never built a computer with anything other than Asus and was wondering what kind of software this comes with. Asus has that feature that you can overclock through windows when you are gaming or doing something demanding. Does this have something like that? For around 159 AR can I do better than this board for my q6600? SLI isn't a must for me but seems like it would be a good feature should I ever need to upgrade.

This board comes with no software besides drivers, sorry. But overclocking in the BIOS is easy just leaving everything on auto.

this does seem to be one of the best boards on the market for overclocking & SLI. I've had problems with my 680i overclockign my Q6600 which i why i'm looking to upgrade to the 750/780i FTW series.

I've had nothing but problems with this board.
Be aware that it is impossible to set a multiplier higher than 9, or (9.5) if you are using 45nm.
I paired this with a QX6850 as EVGA states that Extremes are supported but I would have been better off with a Q6600.
So far I'm unable to hit 3.5ghz through voltage and FSB manipulation.

I may be part of the minority but be aware that the multiplier stops at 9

Also make sure you look at the Evga forums and read about Video Corruption issues

If you don't need SLI then got a P45 board. P5Q-E/Pro are good choices. The 750i FTW is a nice board but still intel makes better chipsets IMHO, especially when overclocking quads. Also P45 gives you crossfire.

Just read your posts on the evga forums Fellows...that is harsh dude. At least the dude offered a beta bios for you to 'try' out. But you were right, a "we are aware of the situation and a fix is planned" would have been nice.

It won't be fixed ever take it from another 750 survivor the problems never end your wallet just gets thinner. This untested defect ridden garbage.

It won't be fixed ever take it from another 750 survivor the problems never end your wallet just gets thinner. This untested defect ridden garbage.

Let me guess...you're not happy with your 750 board? :cool:

Seriously though, after reading all of these stories, I think I might just wait until X58.

Just read your posts on the evga forums Fellows...that is harsh dude. At least the dude offered a beta bios for you to 'try' out. But you were right, a "we are aware of the situation and a fix is planned" would have been nice.

[rant]
Thanks for the support man. I was so happy to get the QX6850 and have had nothing but problems since. It's almost made me hate this hobby....almost :)

At this point I think I may just take it back to NCIX and take the 15% hit on restocking. I'm sick of defending EVGA and recommending their products. I've suggested them to many customers, up to now, based on hearsay; actually having dealt with them, I am not impressed.

A EVGA rep emailed me, after I submitted a question about the Extreme Series CPU, and completely ignored the issue. I asked him when evga would address this problem and post a bios, and he told me I could find them on the support website when it was released. (Basically to go F$$$ myself)
[/rant]

Back to your question OP....

When I was originally getting recommendations for a board, [H]'ers mentioned that SLI was not worth it for me because I'm gaming at 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 and would see no real benefit from SLI.
I was stubborn to believe that SLI would not pay off but, to be honest, you need to invest in it almost immediately or run the risk of better tech surpassing it. [Case in point, I could get another 8800GT or a HD4850/9800GTX+ instead]

As far as OC'ing is concerned, I can't even get my QX6850 [w/ 9x multiplier] stable at 3.4GHZ. a FSB of 1600 wont even load windows start screen.

Anyway good luck and drop more questions if you have them.

Man I dont even nowhere to begin with the problems ive had with this board. I almost took a hammer to it. I now have it working flawlessly but take my advice it took me back to my dfi days. I literaly took a hammer to a dfi board.:eek:

How did you guys who had problems find the 'supperior evga customer service'. Did it help/hurt/make no diff?

How did you guys who had problems find the 'supperior evga customer service'. Did it help/hurt/make no diff?

I know it sounds like I keep sh*ting on EVGA, but you don't really know a company until you have to deal with them first hand.

EVGA's 'impressive' customer service has been pretty much standard for me. I found it no different than most other companies decent. Their email support was completely useless to me. Not once did a rep respond to my comment about this board having false advertising. All I wanted was for them to admit to the mistake and misinformation. Moreover, when I asked when a bios update would be released, a rep had the nerve to tell me they are available on the website.

Phone support was a bit better, but again in no way superior. When I questioned one of the reps about the issue, he ignored the problem but told me honestly that they only had 3 people working and no supervisors (2nd tier) support would be available till Monday.

I know it sounds like I keep sh*ting on EVGA, but you don't really know a company until you have to deal with them first hand.

EVGA's 'impressive' customer service has been pretty much standard for me. I found it no different than most other companies decent. Their email support was completely useless to me. Not once did a rep respond to my comment about this board having false advertising. All I wanted was for them to admit to the mistake and misinformation. Moreover, when I asked when a bios update would be released, a rep had the nerve to tell me they are available on the website.

Phone support was a bit better, but again in no way superior. When I questioned one of the reps about the issue, he ignored the problem but told me honestly that they only had 3 people working and no supervisors (2nd tier) support would be available till Monday.

Thanks for all the insight dude. I definitely feel your pain having gone through similar stuff in the past. This board is now off my list.

No problem man, glad to be of help.
Please let me know what board you end up going with, as I'll probably RMA this POS, and get an Asus or Gigabyte.

Cheers

I sold my eVGA 750i and unless something really changes that will be my last nVidia chipset based mobo. On the video card front eVGA is the bomb, but their mobos (more specifically Ns chipset drivers and designs) are frustarting for many people. Some people do great, but I've not been that frustrated in quite a while.

I also have a 750iFTW. While the FSB easily hits 400mhz, you can't get higher that I've noticed.

It does have very nice bios controls. You can unsync the memory to type in the speed you want, and type in the speed for the FSB. Lots of voltage control.

What fasle advertising?

My 750i FTW has been flawless with heavy gaming and lots of video since early July....

EVGA 750i FTW (SZ1B)
[email protected]*400mhz
4*2GB G.Skill@800mhz
EVGA 8800GT SC
Audigy 4
ATi HD650 TV Tuner
WD500AAKS
WD320AAKS
Samsung S203B
Enermax Modu 82+ 625w
Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD
Vista x64 Home Premium

I loved my 750i that I bought a couple months ago. Overclocked an E8400 up to 4ghz easily and managed to almost take it up to 4.4, but temps were higher than I would have liked so I took it back down to 3.6

Had an issue with the video corruption about a week after I got mine, but I updated to the Z1F bios and never had an issue again. I'll be grabbing another 750i for my new build in a couple days. They've released another revision I believe, but I don't know, Z1F worked fine for me so I didn't try to fix what wasn't broken anymore.

Had an issue with the video corruption about a week after I got mine, but I updated to the Z1F bios and never had an issue again.
What type of corruption? I have one and have that issue.

Another question.

My 750i FTW has an extremely loud northbridge fan. I manually adjust the speed to 30% and it stays at 5500 RPM no matter what % I put it at. Is there any other way to force it to slow down? I don't really want to keep it unhooked. It used to run slower and not be so whiney, but now it won't.

I also have a 750iFTW. While the FSB easily hits 400mhz, you can't get higher that I've noticed.

It does have very nice bios controls. You can unsync the memory to type in the speed you want, and type in the speed for the FSB. Lots of voltage control.

I currently run at 3.5Ghz. 437MHz FSB(x8). I've had as high as 460 before, and it was stable.

No problem man, glad to be of help.
Please let me know what board you end up going with, as I'll probably RMA this POS, and get an Asus or Gigabyte.

Cheers

FYI, ended up going with my initial choice, Asus P5Q Deluxe (ZZF has them for 189.99 + Live cashback). Decided to say screw it to SLI, as it probably isn't worth the hassle. Since x58 will now natively support it, we'll actually have quality options in the future. So saving it till then.

Back