EVGA 750i SLI FTW @ [H]

I found it to be quite loud but keep in mind that I ran it on an open test bench. Inside a case it won't be as bad. Also what is bearable and unbearable is subjective to each person. I can stand quite a bit of noise compared to most people, so take my comment with that in mind.

Is the NB fan speed speed adjustable within the sub-menu? I'm asking because I may mount a higher CFM 60mm fan on it before installing it in my case, but if I can't drop the RPMs via the bios, it will be loader than hell (not that I've been there).

TY!

199.99 + shipping (9$) + potential tax (depending on where you live) is NOT under 200$.
It was when the article was written, but it went up like 30-50$

My neighbor ordered one last week (not sure where) for ~160+shipping.

You might want to edit this part: "The MSI P35 Platinum Combo audio solution provided decent CD playback. No hissing or popping was heard. "

The 750i FTW has the infamous N200 chip, so that's how it gets enough PCI-e lanes for two 16x slots.

Okay. Is that also how Asus does it for their 750i board, and how Intel does it for Skulltrail? Any issues with these additional chips? Any funky drivers needed?

if my 16 month old and 5 month old 650i's decide to stop doing what i need them to do, *50i is where i'll be looking to again.

would be a nice frivelous upgrade tho, new quad + FTW... retire the 805D :p

the board's $189CDN at ncix.com right now by the way with free ground shipping for entire order! egads! here's a linky.

I was under the impression the QX9770 was LGA771? QX9750 maybe you mean?
edit: nvm, QX9770 is LGA775, 9775 is LGA771.

How is the Chipset heat?
I have an Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS with a i650 Hybrid Chipset and it heat like hell oO

I don't like the ring of For The Win...

EVGA should have named it the "EVGA 750i SLI WCTBW".. WCTBW = "What Choo Talkin Bout Willis?!" Then it would be gold!

imm.jpg

How is the Chipset heat?
I have an Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS with a i650 Hybrid Chipset and it heat like hell oO

Like all NVIDIA chipsets, it runs extremely hot. However I have seen NVIDIA chipsets cooled less effectively than with the board in question. The cooling is nearly identical to what the 790i Ultra SLI reference boards get so it isn't that bad.

Two more SATA ports and I would have ordered it along with another 8800GTX...

What's a decent SATA RAID card going for these days?

Nice board. I read a couple of reviews on it a few days ago on xtremesystems and I've been recommending it to people if they want SLI since then :D

This comment is on the newegg customer reviews for the 750i FTW:

Cons: There is a video corruption problem with the 7x0i series boards that nVidia is aware of (check their site) but has not been able to provide a fix for yet. If you are planning on playing a lot of videos you will will be sorely disappointed when they crash your machine and you can't watch them (youtube, media player, etc.).

Other Thoughts: I'm hopeful nVidia will come out with a solution because the problem is so widespread. If they do, it would certainly change my opinion. Without that problem this is a great board, but what's it worth if you can't even watch videos? Games appear to do just fine.

If that's a real problem, it seems like a real show-stopper of a bug (in a most literal sense).

I've watched at least a dozen hours of all sorts of video, DVD's, some HD trailers, recorded TV, Flash (YouTube) on the sig rig and no problems. At 3.83GHz on a quad core, better than most.

While I don't doubt that people are having problems, and I know for a fact that my S2E doesn't work at stock speeds even without upping the RAM voltage, I wonder just how much of it is hardware and how much it it is lack of knowledge. I spent at least three hours of reading up on the S2E before and during getting it setup. It's not a plug and play solution. But I do believe that its a more than capable solution if you know what you're doing.

I just had to post that I got a real kick and laugh from the "Incubator"!

While amusing enough, it's still a genuine stress test and I look forward to seeing more of this done. With so many reports of dead memory controllers on the 680i, we can be sure that heat won't be an issue with this 750i.

This mobo seems rock solid to me after tinkering with it for 2 days. After 4 hours of sp2004 (prime95), Im rock solid my e8400 at 8x500= 4ghz which was my goal. I had to bump vcore up to 1.38125 which in cpuz is 1.36v idle, 1.344v load. My gSkill 2x2gb is running at 1:1 at its rated speed of ddr2 1000 at its rated timings of 5-5-5-15 2T.

Just a nice overclocking experience so far...will run overnight for 10-12 hours to ensure final stability. Now unto overclocking my gpus.

I'm buying this board, I just have to find it for at least a good price. After seeing it bump up $40 from its initial price, I am less than enthusiastic about reviving the economy through my own personal wallet.

Is the NB fan speed speed adjustable within the sub-menu? I'm asking because I may mount a higher CFM 60mm fan on it before installing it in my case, but if I can't drop the RPMs via the bios, it will be loader than hell (not that I've been there).

TY!

I think you can, but I do not recall with 100% certainty.

I think you can, but I do not recall with 100% certainty.

Yep, I've got the stock fan at 30% and it is still the loudest thing in my case, gotta find a replacement but my AC 7Pro hangs over just enough to make that tough.

Yeah, I've got it up and running now. I'm using 60x25mm fan and running it at 50%. More than enough cooling for now. Much less noisy than those cheap 60x10mm fans OEMs use.

BTW, so far I really like this board. Solid as a rock at 3.15GHz first boot (as opposed to the nightmarish problems I had with my MSI P7N) - boots into windows at at 3.6Ghz (8x450 - not stable for game play). Doesn't seem to like running in the 1600-1700MHz FSB range.

hey. just wanted to stop in and post some numbers.

i have the 750i ftw, q6700, evga 9800gx2, ocz sli 2x2gb
sli works like a dream. i max every game i own (hl2, fear, tf2, ut3) except for crysis, which looks perfect at 1920x1200 on high.

im overclocked to 3.0 @ 1.288 volts. (300x10) thats a lower voltage than the chip ran stock at 2.66ghz.
stable as a rock. memory timings are 4-4-5-15 at 2.1v, 800 fsb.

(i dont know much about memory overclocking)

I have the video corruptions problem mentioned in someones post earlier, sucks big time....only occurs while playing windows media players playing avi and mpeg files....DVDs and games are completely stable and problem free.

I hope Nvidia fixes this problem quick, sinces ive heard from a few people on the eVGA forum that this prpblem has been going on since February! :mad:

I don't fully understand everything I've read about the n200 chip and the pci-e bandwidth used with the 750i. With 650i boards they said that if you installed 2 pci-e cards the second one ran at 8x instead of 16x. Is that what this n200 is doing or is it somehow better than that but still not quite what you get with a 780i?

I guess what I really care about is whether the benefit of adding a second 8800gtx (not gs2) is going to be limited by the n200.

TIA

Ok, not rock solid at 3.15G. I have the latest bios and drivers, but suddenly I got a ton of drive corruption the only way to get back running was to restore from a two day old backup :eek: It wasn't a cpu temp problem, so I don't know what happened. Now I'm running at 3.0GHz. The Vdroop on this board is nasty, I lose ~50mv going from idle to max load.

Also, while stress testing it at 3GHz, I noticed that my 5v line has dropped to 4.6V!! This is with a PCP&C 610. This did not happen on the MSI P7N I had. Now it's possible that my PSU failed just when I switched boards, but I doubt it. I think my board is fubarred.

I have the video corruptions problem mentioned in someones post earlier, sucks big time....only occurs while playing windows media players playing avi and mpeg files....DVDs and games are completely stable and problem free.

I hope Nvidia fixes this problem quick, sinces ive heard from a few people on the eVGA forum that this prpblem has been going on since February! :mad:

One of the mods at eVGA said they are testing a BIOS fix that should be ready for release soon.

i get vdroop.

i have it at 1.288, and under 100% load it will drop to 1.264 or 1.272.
are there any simple settings that will fix this?

Ok, not rock solid at 3.15G. I have the latest bios and drivers, but suddenly I got a ton of drive corruption the only way to get back running was to restore from a two day old backup :eek: It wasn't a cpu temp problem, so I don't know what happened. Now I'm running at 3.0GHz. The Vdroop on this board is nasty, I lose ~50mv going from idle to max load.

Also, while stress testing it at 3GHz, I noticed that my 5v line has dropped to 4.6V!! This is with a PCP&C 610. This did not happen on the MSI P7N I had. Now it's possible that my PSU failed just when I switched boards, but I doubt it. I think my board is fubarred.

check your monitoring software. voltage readings are very commonly wrong.
look in bios for voltage readings. they are usually correct.

i get vdroop.

i have it at 1.288, and under 100% load it will drop to 1.264 or 1.272.
are there any simple settings that will fix this?

There is a pencil mod to reduce the vdroop (which probably voids your warrantee), but no setting that I'm aware of.

ok. boo at that then.
i just dropped my voltages again, 2 more notches for the core.
the rest are in the first step of green, or 1 or two below, i forget.
under load its 1.252v or so. idle reads 1.272.
meh. runs stable, gonna go play some games and see if any problems arise.

the new multicore support for tf2 is great. i set my max fps at 60, and it never drops below that mark.

check your monitoring software. voltage readings are very commonly wrong.
look in bios for voltage readings. they are usually correct.

Good point. I really should take a multi-meter to it under load to be sure, but the bios reads 4.91v. TY :)

Good point. I really should take a multi-meter to it under load to be sure, but the bios reads 4.91v. TY :)

no problem. i just did the same thing the other day... i was freaking out that my 12v was reading 7v from one program and 9.2v from the other. bios reads normal.

also- use the new Everest beta to get correct nb temps, everything else will read the normal temps +50c, so in my case around 92c.

Yeah let's hope they release the bios fix soon, other than this problem...i think this board is ace!.

For DualCore yes, for Quads - its much more flaky, for whatever reason.

will this work on my new E8400, my first intel build :)

Okay. Is that also how Asus does it for their 750i board, and how Intel does it for Skulltrail? Any issues with these additional chips? Any funky drivers needed?

Nope. Whats' nice about the D5400XS "Skulltrail" board is that the two NVIDIA MCP's are a complete hardware solution. No drivers are needed. In fact the OS doesn't even make mention of them in device manager.

will this work on my new E8400, my first intel build :)

Yes, but depending on when you want to build, you may want to wait for the P45 boards. If you want SLI, however, then a nVidia chipset is the only way...

I really like the look of this board except the low number of SATA ports, my A8N-SLI deluxe has 8 (4 3Gb/s and 4 1.5Gb/s) I could probably squeeze by with the 4 or get a raid controller but I seems like a pretty stupid idea to put so few on the board. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to put in a few 1.5 Gb/s ports for CD drives.

I agree - the lack of SATA ports is stupid. The problem is Nvidia has the best support for the reference boards and chose to leave the number of SATA ports low (no doubt to artificially distance the 750i from the 780i and 790i) and those who go with the reference design are stuck.

One of the reasons I like the 750i over P35 designs is because of the greater number of expansion slots, but if one is going to be eaten up by a SATA controller, it kinda defeats the purpose.

i have been running this board for a couple of weeks and have had no problems.

although i havn't attempted to overclock it yet.

i have a q6600, and some OCZ reaper 1066 ram. had no problems configuring the ram or anything.

can you fit 4 sticks of that ram, you know, with the large heatsinks on them and all...

Back