[EVGA 680i] New computer won't turn on, kinda freaking out, please help!

obake

n00b
First off, I hope this is in the right place. If it's not, I sincerely apologize.

OK, I just finished building my first computer, plugged it in, LEDs came on, but when I press the power button, it doesn't turn on. Needless to say, I am completely terrified that I've just somehow fried every single piece of hardware in the computer.

I've got an EVGA 680i motherboard with an OCZ GameXStream 700w power supply. The only thing that happens when I turn on the computer is an amber LED turns on on the motherboard, but I cannot find any documentation about it. I'm guessing that means that it's failing in the POST, but I can't think of what might be the problem. The CPU and RAM are firmly seated in the computer, as is the graphics card.

The only trouble I ran into when building it was that the documentation for the power supply and how it's designed to plug into the motherboard doesn't match the documentation that came with the motherboard. I'm referring, mainly, to the 24-pin power port. The documentation on the motherboard indicates that the 20-pin connector should be on pins 1-10 and 13-22, while the 4-pin connector should be on pins 11-12 and 23-24. Unfortunately, that's not how the connectors fit on the motherboard; the 4-pin is on pins 1-2 and 13-14, while the 20-pin is on pins 3-12 and 15-24. This matches how the display models of both the power supply and the motherboard at Fry's connect, and the salesperson said that's how it's supposed to be, so I'm thinking that it's just a documentation error, but I'm not sure.

Please help me!

Thanks!

Heya... are your fans etc. spinning, or is it just starting a split-second to spin then stopping? If your fans are spinning and you're just not getting video, then you have the plugs in correctly, otherwise it is turning itself off automatically to prevent damage due to improper connections. Either way, you don't sound like anything's been fried, so don't worry on that front. Another question I have for you is, are you using 4GB of RAM? If so, remove all but one stick and try again to power up (only if the fans are spinning!), as the amount of RAM usually requires you to boost the vDIMM (RAM voltage) in the BIOS before you can boot with all of it.

EDIT: Just to note for you and any future people who stumble upon this thread, the amber/orange LED is just a standby power light, nothing else.

Fans are not spinning; they don't even start spinning. Also, only have 2GB of RAM.

Someone on another forum suggested it might be a bad power supply... any chance that this is the case?

There are a few things I can think of off the top of my head to try:

1) Press the power button that is on the motherboard (your model has one) (it's labelled, small gray rubber button) beneath the bottom PCI slot on the board, and see if it powers on that way. If so, you probably just have the power button headers on the wrong pins.

2) There could be a short causing the computer not to power up. Try spraying some compressed air around the case and beneath the motherboard to ensure no metal shavings/dust/whatnot are shorting anything, and make sure wires are in firmly.

3) Remove the power cords from everything except the video card (if it uses a PCI-E cord or 4-pin molex) (EDIT: and motherboard of course) and try powering up, see what happens.

4) If none of this works, your PSU is probably a dud.

Yeah, none of that worked. Guess it's just a bad PSU. I'll send it back to Newegg and just get a replacement at Fry's or something.

Thanks!

I bet it's the motherboard. My 680i crap out. One day I pressed the power button and the computer shutdown itself within 2 seconds, and never boot again.
I bought an asus maximus formula, and the performance it's amazing, and excellent for quads.

You should also have a blue led on the board that's illuminated as well.

Also try booting with just one stick of ram and cpu, no video card or anything else. If all the fans start spinning then another component is causing a short.

I am running about the Same Setup, EVGA 680i SLI TR, E6420 Zalman CNPS9700LED, 2 Gigs Corsair XMS2 6400C4, MSI 8800 Ultra T2d768 HD OC, 2 X 60 Gigs Maxtor 7200 8 Meg SATA, 700 Watt OCZ GameXtreme PSU, NZXT Gaming Armor, and it sounds like he may have missed a Plug in somewhere. I would start and go over all your Connections, 8 Pin, 24 Pin, etc. and double check all Pin-Outs, sometimes it's just been put in Backwards, and all you need to fix it, is turn the dang Case Power Switch Pins around. You should then get power to the rest of the MOBO.
Let us know what you figure out!

I am running about the Same Setup, EVGA 680i SLI TR, E6420 Zalman CNPS9700LED, 2 Gigs Corsair XMS2 6400C4, MSI 8800 Ultra T2d768 HD OC, 2 X 60 Gigs Maxtor 7200 8 Meg SATA, 700 Watt OCZ GameXtreme PSU, NZXT Gaming Armor, and it sounds like he may have missed a Plug in somewhere. I would start and go over all your Connections, 8 Pin, 24 Pin, etc. and double check all Pin-Outs, sometimes it's just been put in Backwards, and all you need to fix it, is turn the dang Case Power Switch Pins around. You should then get power to the rest of the MOBO.
Let us know what you figure out!

yeah it does sound like the case pins to the motherboard...I had a similar problem on my last build...but different. I was shorting out the MB because I had an extra mount underneath the motherboard that shouldn't of been there.

you do have the 24pin power AND the 4 pin (might be eight) power BOTH connected to the motherboard, right?

I couldnt really tell by your first post.

Are you running with the PXR3 molex connected? If so you might want to try disconnecting it and seeing if the system will post. I had an issue with my latest build where the power suppy would give an error code and refuse to boot the system while this molex was connected. I called evga and they said that it is intended to give a "power boost" to SLI cards, but, I seem to be just fine running the system in SLI without the PRX3 connected. Worth a shot anyway.

Back