eVGA 6800 GT running hot at stock

rtierney

Limp Gawd
Got my eVGA 6800 GT in today and the first thing I did was take it apart and put some AS2 on the ram and gpu (I have a tube of AS5 on the way, AS2 is all I had at the time. I'll put AS5 on it when it comes on Friday).
When I booted up at stock speeds, I gave AquaMark and 3dMark03 a run and checked my temps, and I must say, they're quite high for stock speeds.
Right now at idle, my gpu temp is about 63 C. Under load, it was mid-upper 70's. Ambient temp, according to cool bits 2, is 47 C.

Now, the room temperature here is much higher than normal. It's probably about 80F or so in this room because my dad's a tight wad and turned off the AC earlier. Usually it's about 68-70F in here. Once I can get my room temperature back down to ~70F, would it be safe to assume that my 6800 GT temps will drop at least 5 degrees C?

I don't even want to try overclocking until I can get my stock temperatures down to a decent range. It's just too hot as is, I think.

rtierney said:
Under load, it was mid-upper 70's.

dont sweat it man.

that baby's good to well in the high 80's to even 90's.

heck, the threshold is something like 115C or so.

by the time you exit the benchmark and check your temps, they probably dropped like 10c.

that being said, i break 92c running the rthdibl demo. give that a shot and see what kinda temps you get.

Are you saying you did all this before you tested it out stock? Those temps don't seem way off from what I've seen reported. (but still higher than my eVGA GT straight out of the box! :eek: ) Mine is 56c at idle as we speak and the highest I've ever seen was 68c under load.

joemama said:
Are you saying you did all this before you tested it out stock? Those temps don't seem way off from what I've seen reported. (but still higher than my eVGA GT straight out of the box! :eek: ) Mine is 56c at idle as we speak and the highest I've ever seen was 68c under load.

I never tested it with the stock thermal paste/pads on. I took them off and put AS2 on as soon as I got it in the mail.
Im getting some AS5 and a vantec pci slot fan in the mail Friday, so I'll be putting those into action over the weekend. Hopefully that and turning the AC on (decreasing ambient temps by about 10-12 F) will get me to much lower temps so I can start OC'ing.

joemama said:

68C under load is hardly even close to being normal, don't worry most are getting load temps well into the 80's some in the 90's

your temps are normal dont worry bout it, the 6800GT usually idles around 55-65 and loads 70-90

i do that HDR lighting demo and my card only gets into the mid 70's. same with DOOM III 1024X768XHigh with 8XS AA and 16X AF.

blbrchnk said:
68C under load is hardly even close to being normal, don't worry most are getting load temps well into the 80's some in the 90's
This is in a aluminum case with 2x80's drawing in, 2x80's drawing out, 90mm blowhole and dual fan power supply. Oh...and I keep my ac cranked down to 72f when I'm home. ;)

Back