EVGA 670 SC 4 GB or Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 GHz

wyqtor

Limp Gawd
I would like to buy a high end card that offers good performance and maximum visual quality at 1080p 60Hz. In particular, I'd be interested in good performance in open-world games, I plan to play Tomb Raider 2013, Assassin's Creed 3, Bioshock Infinite and GTA 5. Right now I would like good performance in Tomb Raider w/ TressFX on, but on the other hand also some of the nVidia-specific features like TXAA because the temporal aliasing in Assassin's Creed 3 kind of bothers me. (As a side question, is there any way to get rid of it without TXAA?). Might also pick up Borderlands 2 at some point , and I only have a i5 750 until Haswell comes out, so GPU PhysX capability would also be nice. Also 3GB+ of video memory is important in preparation for GTA5. Low noise and overall power consumption are also preferable.

So, I have noticed these 2 models:
- EVGA 670 SuperClocked+, 4 GB
- Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz Vapor-X, 3GB

I am open to other suggestions, I also like Asus cards. Also, if the Sapphire 7950 Boost Vapor-X can keep up at 1080p with those 2 cards at negligible FPS differences, I might go down the cheap path.

A 7950 will do what you want at 1080p for less.

Right now Nvidia is having some issue with Tomb Raider, so if that's really important go with AMD.

Definitely consider a 7950 over a the 7870 if you can afford a 4GB GTX 670.

For low noise I'd recommend the ASUS DirectCU II GTX 670 4GB. Plenty of reviews and users have verified its amazingly quiet.

Tessellation currently doesn't work on TR 2013 with Nvidia right now, but TressFX runs fine and these issues will likely be fixed soon.

Also take advantage of the newegg v.me 10% promo while you can.

HD 7950 is the best value for money. at the same clock the HD 7950 is 3 - 6% slower than HD 7970. go with sapphire HD 7950 boost. AMD reference PCB design. unlocked voltage. 29 cm long.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-7950BST

USD 300 with shipping (280 after rebate) after $7 OFF your order over $49 w/code: SBZSHAKE, ends 03/11.

since you intend to play bioshock infinite you save 60 bucks. comes free with the game. if you won't play crysis 3 you can sell it for USD 30 as retail price is USD 60.

OK, so I decided to go with AMD rather than pay extra for nVidia, now I have to choose between the sheer performance of the 7970 GHz vs. the good price/performance of the 7950. But which Sapphire Boost 7950 performs the best in terms of overclocking potential? There's the Dual-X, Vapor-X, and so on. If I do get one of these I would like to be able to overclock at least to 7970 GHz edition clocks on stock voltage, preferably even surpass them.

Back