EVGA 600W W1 B-stock

brian84ar

n00b
I saw what appeared to be a good deal on slickdeals for this b-stock power supply sold by EVGA on their own website. I was skeptical of getting a PSU "B-stock" but I've read good reviews on evga, and I thought myself why no? If they were returned cause they have issues, I'm sure CS repaired it....but I guess it wasnt the case on the one I got.
So a week after I ordered, the item arrived. First thing I did is use a power supply tester. and the 5vsb was low, between 4v and 4.4v, after trying different things I started to have issues with this thing trying to turn on. it turns on randomly whenever it wants with the tester and if I connected to motherboard it doesnt start even once.
At this point I'm done with this psu but I feel like I was scammed by EVGA.
B-stock products are basically refurbished items, so they supposed to be tested and fixed but clearly this one wasnt even checked.
it was a cheap 26 dollars psu, but Im really pissed and I don't know what to do.
I contacted EVGA but it's likely that they will ask me to return the item, pay for the sipping (probably 20 dollar shipping?) and then they'll give me refund.
Should I do a chargeback to credit card?

That's unfortunate. I got 4 PSUs from them during the deal 2x 450 W3, 1x 600 W1, and 1x 700 BR. All booted up fine and completed one 10min cinebench run on my test computer.

I think it's accepted that there is more risk when buying B-Stock, but that's still on them that they did not "refurbish" it correctly. Who knows what kind of refurbishment, if any, these things actually go through between when they are returned and then re-sold.

Interestingly, out of the 4 I got, only the 600 W1 still had that "new electronics" smell to it when I opened it up. I took that to mean that the others had all been used for at least a few days at some point.

I don't think it's worth doing the chargeback for a $26 PSU. I'd send it back.

That's unfortunate. I got 4 PSUs from them during the deal 2x 450 W3, 1x 600 W1, and 1x 700 BR. All booted up fine and completed one 10min cinebench run on my test computer.

I think it's accepted that there is more risk when buying B-Stock, but that's still on them that they did not "refurbish" it correctly. Who knows what kind of refurbishment, if any, these things actually go through between when they are returned and then re-sold.

Interestingly, out of the 4 I got, only the 600 W1 still had that "new electronics" smell to it when I opened it up. I took that to mean that the others had all been used for at least a few days at some point.

I don't think it's worth doing the chargeback for a $26 PSU. I'd send it back.
I gues I was really unlucky then. did you test your psu with a tester?

If I send if back I'm pretty sure they will charge me $20 shipping. at that price I dont think it's worth it.. I would have paid the brand new version on best buy for 40 dollars.
sadly this might be my first and last time paying for a b-stock item

did you test your psu with a tester?

I have a very basic power supply tester, that just gives me a green-light for each voltage. No voltage read-out or anything like that. I always use it before I connect a new PSU to a computer. In this case, all lights lit-up green.

With a PSU this cheap, shipping is certainly a concern. I'd at least communicate with them and see what they say.

It doesn't hurt to invest in a decent DMM when you don't have a PSU tester. I can't tell you how many times I got a dead/partially dead psu. The DMM saved me from killing my other hardware.

Got a 450 sfx from evga, works for me.

Definitely contact evga and see if they can work something out with you.

It's $26 shipped. I wouldn't expect to get a Corsair RMX 1000 for that.

It doesn't hurt to invest in a decent DMM when you don't have a PSU tester. I can't tell you how many times I got a dead/partially dead psu. The DMM saved me from killing my other hardware.
any recomendations?

any recomendations?
Everyone will swear on a fluke, but those TOTL and quite expensive. You are getting your money's worth tho. I snagged a Craftsman 82400 from Sears when they were still in business. I think I paid $30 for it. Works great for the price.

Back