EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming for 750$ vs 4070ti?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
What would you guys get an why?

the EVGA 3090 or the 4070ti?

Can you give the reasons?

Assuming equal price, I would side on 4070ti.

Newer architecture, cooler, etc.

Yeah, the RTX 4060 Ti will be using the new version of Nvenc, which is nice, combined with all the other new features and enhancements from the new architecture.

However, there is one fundamental thing you should take note of, and that is VRAM. If VRAM matters to you, then you will need the RTX 3090, and that's what I ended up buying recently here on Hard for a similar price. However, if you are interested in gaming more than datacenter type usage, then I would just go with the RTX 4070 Ti.

Last edited:
I don't like the 3090 card taking up too many PCIe slots. Easy choice for me, although I am a sucker for large video RAM.

I don't like the 3090 card taking up too many PCIe slots. Easy choice for me, although I am a sucker for large video RAM.
I might end up buying a PCIe riser cable .... but NOT for the video card! I wonder if I could simply plug it into the covered slot underneath the RTX 3090, and plug in some of my other PCIe cards that way. That'd be nice, eh? Just gotta find a nice place to mount them, right?

Only reason to get 3090 at this point is if you want to use it for benching with SLI.

If the prices were the same and you game at 1440P resolution, 4070 Ti for lower power draw and slightly better performance (along with new features that probably won't be as helpful until later on at 1440P - e.g. dlss3).

If the 3090 is $100+ cheaper than the 4070 Ti, or you game at 4K I'd lean to the 3090 due to the higher VRAM amount and slightly better 4K performance (assuming no DLSS3 of course). If you do any video editing or the like that requires more than 12GB of VRAM, or use mods that crank up the VRAM use, the choice is also a 3090.

I do game at 4k and it was 100$ cheaper. And I didn't have to fight the not in stock nightmare. So I made the right choice. Thanks.

4070ti even if it’s $100 more. Even at 4k 12gb holds up fine. Performs better, runs cooler, uses far less power, takes up less space, has better features. There’s nothing the 3090 does better unless you’re doing production work that actually needs the vram.

4070ti doesn't get more fps than a 3090 ftw3 ultra gaming card. I looked it up. All signs point to the 3090 getting more fps at 4k. And honestly I am getting 100 to 112 fps in Warzone2 at 4k with max settings. I am good until the 5 series.

Thanks.

Why is EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming better than Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 Ti X3?​

• 12GB more VRAM24GBvs12GB
  • 432GB/s more memory bandwidth936GB/svs504GB/s
  • 192bit wider memory bus width384bitvs192bit
  • 2816 more shading units10496vs7680
  • 88 more texture mapping units (TMUs)328vs240
  • 32 more render output units (ROPs)112vs80
  • Has RGB lighting

Last edited:
4070ti doesn't get more fps than a 3090 ftw3 ultra gaming card. I looked it up. All signs point to the 3090 getting more fps at 4k.

Thanks.

Why is EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming better than Inno3D GeForce RTX 4070 Ti X3?​

• 12GB more VRAM24GBvs12GB
  • 432GB/s more memory bandwidth936GB/svs504GB/s
  • 192bit wider memory bus width384bitvs192bit
  • 2816 more shading units10496vs7680
  • 88 more texture mapping units (TMUs)328vs240
  • 32 more render output units (ROPs)112vs80
  • Has RGB lighting
https://www.theverge.com/23538558/nvidia-rtx-4070-ti-review-gpu-graphics-card-benchmark-test

out of 18 4K tests the 3090 did better on 3 of them. Link to what you looked up?

For gaming at 1080p I'd probably go with the 4070ti. Otherwise the 3090. Also, keep in mind that the 3090 has 24GB of VRAM and supports NVLINK, so it's much more useful for machine learning, if you're into that.

Just a random site. I forget. I am too lazy to look it up again. I am good. The games I play I get plenty of fps at 4k with the 3090. I am just going to wait until the 5 series...there is 0 reason to go to 4 series if you have a 3080 or 3090 imo. I'm saving money and get the same if not better performance for less money. I can totally wait for 5 series. Even the 4080 is what? 20fps more for like 500$ more? No way in hell.

Or if you need the VRAM for production/AI workloads and can't afford a 4090.
Even if you could afford a 4090, you could still buy two (used) 3090s for about that price, giving you a total of 48 GB VRAM.
For non-gaming tasks, the 3090 is just better in every way. Saving a few seconds or minutes isn't important when the real bottleneck isn't time, but VRAM, when it comes to advanced modern loads.

Even if you could afford a 4090, you could still buy two (used) 3090s for about that price, giving you a total of 48 GB VRAM.
For non-gaming tasks, the 3090 is just better in every way. Saving a few seconds or minutes isn't important when the real bottleneck isn't time, but VRAM, when it comes to advanced modern loads.
Yeah, the 40xx series pricing is so bad that the 3090 is starting to age like wine, which is crazy given all of its issues with heat dissipation. Nvidia really dropped the ball when it comes to VRAM.

Yeah, the 40xx series pricing is so bad that the 3090 is starting to age like wine, which is crazy given all of its issues with heat dissipation. Nvidia really dropped the ball when it comes to VRAM.
Yeah, a 4090 Ti with 32 GB VRAM would be a serious smack across our cheeks, just due to how nasty the price would be, despite the "oh it's sooooo much VRAM! thank you sir!" cries even I would make.
32 GB VRAM on a 4090 Ti would be insulting, but I'd end up wanting to buy it, as if the modern GPU market actually is a form of BDSM.

If the VRAM stays at 24 GB, then at least the 3090 is still the best option for these sorts of workloads.

Yeah, a 4090 Ti with 32 GB VRAM would be a serious smack across our cheeks, just due to how nasty the price would be, despite the "oh it's sooooo much VRAM! thank you sir!" cries even I would make.
32 GB VRAM on a 4090 Ti would be insulting, but I'd end up wanting to buy it, as if the modern GPU market actually is a form of BDSM.

If the VRAM stays at 24 GB, then at least the 3090 is still the best option for these sorts of workloads.
The 4090ti needs to include pcie 5.0 support so you can pool RAM at least. It's pretty silly that they've driver locked this feature away and made current gen GPUs worse than 3090s for some applications (it's intentional, I know). This way small users with a few GPUs could use their GPUs for small-scale machine learning projects while any serious commercial operations would still be forced to buy their DGX servers.

The skimpy vram in on the gaming cards protects some of the professional stack for sure and of course means in about 2-3 years gamers will be looking to upgrade —so yep all according to plan.

Since people started gaming on the Titan cards it seems like we now get a Titan priced gamer card that no longer does that professional work.

I would rather get a 3090 or even a 6950XT over a 4070ti because of vram alone.

You can get a brand new 6950xt for $699. Something to think about. https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...N82E16814930088&SoldByNewegg=1&quicklink=true
Yeah, I can't recommend the 4070ti with the abysmal amount of VRAM Nvidia put on it. Not a terrible card, but I don't see it lasting as long as we keep getting unoptimized games (and I don't see that changing as long as people keep buying them).

I'd take the 3090. 24GB card and is actually a 4k card. 4070 Ti is just too expensive for what it is. $750 is a good price for a 3090.

I've hit a couple instances at 4k where I've already regretted the 12GB of this 3080 Ti. Mainly in newest updated Witcher 3. Ran out of VRAM and activated slideshow mode.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't recommend the 4070ti with the abysmal amount of VRAM Nvidia put on it. Not a terrible card, but I don't see it lasting as long as we keep getting unoptimized games (and I don't see that changing as long as people keep buying them).
Exactly. The 4070ti as a GPU performance wise is just fine. But it can't show its strength if its limiting itself with 12GB of memory. Thats the issue. If it had 16GB of memory, this discussion would be an easy yes. Get a 4070ti LOL

Exactly. The 4070ti as a GPU performance wise is just fine. But it can't show its strength if its limiting itself with 12GB of memory. Thats the issue. If it had 16GB of memory, this discussion would be an easy yes. Get a 4070ti LOL
And not only the 12GB, but man that 192-bit bus...

I'd take the 3090. 24GB card and is actually a 4k card. 4070 Ti is just too expensive for what it is. $750 is a good price for a 3090.

I've hit a couple instances at 4k where I've already regretted the 12GB of this 3080 Ti. Mainly in newest updated Witcher 3. Ran out of VRAM and activated slideshow mode.
What about power draw on a 3090, isn’t it pretty power hungry and has tough power spikes 🤔. That’s one of the reasons I would rather get a 40 series I don’t need an electric heater driving up my electric bill.

What about power draw on a 3090, isn’t it pretty power hungry and has tough power spikes 🤔. That’s one of the reasons I would rather get a 40 series I don’t need an electric heater driving up my electric bill.
That's fair. Lovelace definitely has the performance per watt win over Ampere. So just depends on what matters most for what you are looking for.

And I get it. My 3080 Ti really bothers me in the summer at 350-400W. It's a damn space heater.

That's fair. Lovelace definitely has the performance per watt win over Ampere. So just depends on what matters most for what you are looking for.

And I get it. My 3080 Ti really bothers me in the summer at 350-400W. It's a damn space heater.
I’m most like grabbing a 4070 Ti as I’m only pushing 3440 x 1440 UW and Lovelace has much more L2 cache, which supposedly lowers VRAM memory bandwidth requirements a bit, it should be fine for at least 2-3 years which is all I will need at this resolution.

I said fuck it, went out and sold the 3090 and bought a 4090. I ain't buyin shit for 4 to 5 years.
Lol I did the same thing. I feel the same way. Not upgrading anything in my rig for 5 years lol keeping the platform "balanced" for a long while.

Back