EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Underperforming

Percy

Gawd
So, I just installed my 3080 FTW3 Ultra and the performance is similar to my 1070TI. Something is definitely wrong and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Specs:
i7 5930k (was WCed, now air-cooled waiting for new build)
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666
EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
500GB (OS)
1 TB SSD (Games)
EVGA Supernova 1200P2

using Optimal settings in GeForce Experience
getting around 70-90 fps in COD Warzone.
Call of Duty Cold War runs like ass.

Benchmark I ran.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/53448368

I did run a few benchmarks with my CPU OC'd to 4.2Ghz, 4.3Ghz, ran a few passes but got crashes after repeated benchmarks so I just went back to default clocks.

I've used Display Driver Uninstaller twice and hasn't done anything really. While installing drivers did clean installations both times as well.

Did any of you legends have any issues like this and managed to figure out a fix?

Attachments

• 2020-11-22_19-22-19.png
    2020-11-22_19-22-19.png
    596.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-11-22_19-22-52.png
    2020-11-22_19-22-52.png
    907.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-11-22_19-25-52.png
    2020-11-22_19-25-52.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 0
What GPU usage are you getting in Warzone/ColdWar? If it is under 98/99% it is a CPU/memory bottleneck.
The TimeSpy looks about right to me assuming it's at stock.

I'm not too familiar with the COD games, but you do have ray tracing enabled in both benchmarks which would be a big performance hit even with DLSS enabled.

Well, geforce experience has been known to royally fuck up game performance in the past, requiring a deletion of the game config file after uninstalling geforce experience.

Your GPU performance in that 3DMark benchmark looks fine. You'd likely get a higher GPU score with a stable OC on the CPU.

I haven't had any problems with GeForce Experience.

I used to have a 5930X in my gaming box and the gains that I had from moving to my 9900KS last winter weren't huge on paper but definitely big on frametime consistency. Not that it is a solution, but part of the factor could definitely be the CPU with your 5930K. Still a great CPU, to be sure, but a few gens old.

COD is definitely not a GPU pusher. I ran this bench last night and here it is compared to yours: https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/15502537/spy/15503283. Your GPU doesn't look too far off considering mine is OC'd.

EDIT: here's my 5820K @ 4.5GHz paired with a 2080 FE (stock): 10,012 - seems aligned with what you're getting.

go in the GPU driver setting and set to Power mode to high performance. i have noticed in some games itll clock down at times it shouldnt. your 3d mark seems a bit low to me as i just break 16k https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14888770

3090 varies from 19500 to 21000 depending on the cpu. Your 3080 score at 17K is right up there with the cpu combo tbh.

go in the GPU driver setting and set to Power mode to high performance. i have noticed in some games itll clock down at times it shouldnt. your 3d mark seems a bit low to me as i just break 16k https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14888770

Some people don't like the high power usage when the card is always running at base 3D clocks. And changing the NVCP setting usually takes time to work.
A better way is to just lock a voltage point in MSI Afterburner, which will stop the card from downclocking unless it hits power limits.

Reactions: Elios
like this
Ran afterburner to monitor temps and clocks while playing COD. I have attached it to this post. Could it possibly be that my CPU is a bottleneck? That's with power mode in high performance.

Attachments

• NVmV6PzYuN.jpg
    NVmV6PzYuN.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
3090 ftw3 ultra owners are currently losing their collective shit over the PCIe power issues. Maybe you have something similar? https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3090-FTW3-XOC-BIOS-BETA-m3124192.aspx
Seems completely unrelated. These people are trying to use a special BIOS to get extra power (which seems very situational given that these cards are already power inefficient). I think the OP is just trying to use the normal BIOS to get normal performance.

Seems completely unrelated. These people are trying to use a special BIOS to get extra power (which seems very situational given that these cards are already power inefficient). I think the OP is just trying to use the normal BIOS to get normal performance.
Pretty much. I'm getting my friends 5900x delivered tomorrow so I might slap that on my Dark hero to see if i was dealing with a CPU bottle neck or not.

Ran afterburner to monitor temps and clocks while playing COD. I have attached it to this post. Could it possibly be that my CPU is a bottleneck? That's with power mode in high performance.

That screenshot you posted shows you're pushing 100 FPS. I'd hardly call that running "like ass." The screenshot is too small for me to read what the graphs are, but if the one I think is CPU utilization really is, you're pegging the CPU out at 100% almost continuously (pretty impressive this game can do that, actually), with the GPU utilization well below 100%. That suggests that you're heavily CPU bound, and I'd guess that this game, like most others, relies heavily on a single thread on the CPU, so your mid 3.X GHz CPU is like 30% behind the 5GHz+ CPUs that all the reviewers are using to produce the framerate numbers you're expecting to see.

I don't think this is a power issue on the GPU. The clock and voltage graphs are basically straight lines, which says that you're well within the power/voltage envelope the BIOS allows. They'd be noisier if you were running into the power limit.

Warzone is very cpu dependent. Once you get a better one your fps will go up.

I would not worry too much about the xoc bios released. I am using it and am not drawing any more power on my amd system than my i7 based system. My old Z270 Classified had an extra pci 6 pin power for the GPU to draw 82W from the PCI-E port which let me hit as high as 488W.

On my AMD rig, I am pulling less power and getting identical performance.

Pretty much. I'm getting my friends 5900x delivered tomorrow so I might slap that on my Dark hero to see if i was dealing with a CPU bottle neck or not.
Good idea. Your cpu isn't OLD, but Haswell is old enough to hold back top end modern GPU's a little bit.

Since when is a seven (eight?) years old CPU not "old"? I mean it's probably not obsolete yet, but it's getting old alright.

So here's a little update. While waiting for drops to get a 5950x, I managed to snatch a 5900x for a friend of mine, he was cool with me trying it out to do some testing. Here is a TimeSpy benchmark I did with the 5900x and the 3080 FTW3 Ultra. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/15951859

Seems like the CPU was getting hammered. Don't have graphs to go with it. But yeah. was running Warzone as well, was averaging around 150FPS as well.

That's with shitty DDR4 2666, that wouldn't even run at 2666 set in BIOS.

the gpu score is still within variance. my low scores on a 3090 will be as low as 19500 and as high as 20800. Noticed same behavior on i7 7700k and amd 5600x. The cpu score is holding you back along with that ram speed.

I used ddr4 3600 18 timings on my i7 7700@ 5.0ghz and got same cpu score as your 3d mark. My in games were perfectly in line with others for 1440p and a 3090

Back