EVGA 2080 Ti XC Catches Fire in Spectacular Fashion

2mlctk.jpg
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Nvidia should just cancel the RTX junk for now until it's actually ready... and release a GTX2080TI that is basically a RTX2080TI w/o the raytracing for half the price.

They might if people would stop buying them hand over fist. However for now it seems customers can't get enough and are willing to spend tons of money so....

And don't forget. So many people signed NVidia's NDA, they may not even be allowed to take about anything failure-related.

Has anyone tested to see how well these heat in the cold? When not on fire of course

As these things get more, and more powerful there is only so much power that can come out of a 120V socket before you start over clocking your homes walls... I mean what next disconnecting your refrigerator / Stove to get at the 240V socket?

I'm thinking about making my wall socket 240v for efficiency purposes, all you need is a circuit breaker that connects to both legs of power in your breaker box, the correct wire and maybe a 3 prong wall socket thats made to handle it.

In light of this thread (pun intended)

Here's a Christmas Carol REINVENTED by nVidia's own Jansen Hsu

Turing roasting on an open fire
Hot flames nipping at your nose
RMA calls being worked by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos

Everybody knows a T-I and some mistletoe
Will help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their bodies all aglow
Will find it hard to survive tonight

They know that Jensen's on his way
He's loaded lots of cards and drivers on his sleigh
And every mother's child is going to spy
To see if 2080's really really do fry

And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To nerds from one to ninety-two,
Although its been said many times, many ways,
Merry Christmas & F*&K you.

Exactly why i RMA'd the exact same card. Mine ran hotter than a furnace and smelled of burning electronics.

Exactly why i RMA'd the exact same card. Mine ran hotter than a furnace and smelled of burning electronics.
I think it's a hit or miss with these cards. My first 2080ti XC was noisy and warm with a dead displayport, but the new card is about 12c lower at load and doesn't go beyond 67c.

Nvidia should just cancel the RTX junk for now until it's actually ready... and release a GTX2080TI that is basically a RTX2080TI w/o the raytracing for half the price.

Can use the cores that are set aside for raytracing to gain a slight bump in performance if something like this ever happened (of course it won't, just curious)?

This is final proof. All electronics work with smoke. There is special smoke inside all electronics that makes it work. Once this smoke is released, it will stop working. You can however prevent this from happening by taping all electronic components. Duck tape will work well. This will prevent any smoke from escaping, helping your device to keep on working just fine.

But even if only a small bit of smoke escapes, it will be rendered useless. It is also dangerous, as seen here, that sometimes this smoke might cause a fire, so DON'T LET IT OUT!!!

Here's allegedly actual footage of nVidia's marketing department letting the smoke out while they were finalizing price points of the new RTX series...

XLSJt.gif

This seems like an EVGA issue to me. I had a EVGA 980 TI catch fire and while I was researching I saw their 1080's had a fire problem. Now the 2080's? Not surprised.

Luckily EVGA has amazing customer service.

This seems like an EVGA issue to me. I had a EVGA 980 TI catch fire and while I was researching I saw their 1080's had a fire problem. Now the 2080's? Not surprised.

Luckily EVGA has amazing customer service.
I keep reading about how great EVGA's return policy and customer service is. In fact, that's the first thing people mention when they talk about EVGA products. It's like people have to use it a lot. I'd rather never have to have my customer service mentioned, because people didn't need to RMA my stuff.

Lame, I would expect it to keep working despite the flames. Just at a much reduced flame rate ;). /sarcasm

Untitled.png
Linus's WAN show is discussing this. First ten minutes of teh show if you were late. I'm bored so just watching anything on YT. Linus is not on so no annoying voice.

In light of this thread (pun intended)

Here's a Christmas Carol REINVENTED by nVidia's own Jansen Hsu

Turing roasting on an open fire
Hot flames nipping at your nose
RMA calls being worked by a choir
And folks dressed up like Eskimos

Everybody knows a T-I and some mistletoe
Will help to make the season bright
Tiny tots with their bodies all aglow
Will find it hard to survive tonight

They know that Jensen's on his way
He's loaded lots of cards and drivers on his sleigh
And every mother's child is going to spy
To see if 2080's really really do fry

And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To nerds from one to ninety-two,
Although its been said many times, many ways,
Merry Christmas & F*&K you.

This is gold!

Well done. (pun intended) :D

To be fair to EVGA it seems that the two known self immolations were reference PCB's. There are pics of the Asus version posted to the EVGA forum thread above. Points to a design weakness in the power section of that card.

Glad I bought a custom card, but I won't be leaving it on unattended for the foreseeable future just in case.

Why would you have a coin on the back of a card?

room mate at the time had left pile of coins on desk. I had computer on it's side under desk swapping hard drives. I reached up for screw driver and heard something fall into the case. I looked around and found a loose screw in the corner of the case, thought that must be it. turns out a nickel had actually fallen in behind the video card. so when I flipped the system vertical again it was just sitting on back of the card.. in those days there was a floppy connector on the card for additional power - the nickel was sitting on the opposite side of the card to that.

I played some games that night and noticed some light artifacting but didn't have time to figure out why.. next day at work I get call that computer shut off and smoke was shooting out the back... good times!
it melted the power supply cables, fried card and power supply but rest of system was fine. was due for upgrade anyway ;)

PCPer guys do a bit of a deep dive onto why possibly the card caught on fire.

Back