EVGA 2080 Ti XC Catches Fire in Spectacular Fashion

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Self immolation is a tough way to go out, but we have to give it up to this EVGA 2080 Ti XC video card owned by HardOCPer shansoft. He was simply browsing the web, undoubtedly adding to his HardForum post count, when all of a sudden his computer shut down for no good reason, and then flames started shooting out the back of his EVGA 2080 Ti XC video card. We are sure that a flaming EVGA video card is a pretty good reason for your computer shutting down unexpectedly. At least when my personal RTX 2080 Ti failed, it did not try to burn my house down. In totally unrelated news, EVGA has started selling discount fire insurance this week (get it while it's hot) through its RMA department.

All these pictures are large resolution so you can see the carnage. He does have a few more in his HardForum thread.

Scared the shit out of me since my kid was right around it when it shoots flame.

It's the 480 all over again.

2-gtx-480-5848275.png

Ahh jeez. Someone tell me that we aren't going to end up in a situation where the entire 2000 line gets recalled.

wow, that happened to me with my old ATI Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder.. but that was due to a nickle coin sitting on the back of the card.

Are there any honest numbers on the failure rate of these cards? I'm hearing about failures more and more but I also read RMA rates are hovering at average...

All these 2080 ti issues makes me very glad that I didn't try to save up to buy one out of the gate and that EVGA's step ups are so backordered that it will be months before I get anywhere in the queue. Maybe by then the RMA and spouting random fire issues will be resolved.

Glad the fire was contained and everyone was okay. I hope EVGA is going to work with Shansoft and replace not only the card but anything else damaged by the spontaneous fire.

Are there any honest numbers on the failure rate of these cards? I'm hearing about failures more and more but I also read RMA rates are hovering at average...

Last heard is from Steve at Gamer's Nexus saying his AIB contacts were reporting normal or below normal RMA rates with some low volume supplies reporting super low rates. However, Nvidia themselves never commented on their own RMA rates and it could have changed in the couple weeks since that statement was made.

Last heard is from Steve at Gamer's Nexus saying his AIB contacts were reporting normal or below normal RMA rates with some low volume supplies reporting super low rates. However, Nvidia themselves never commented on their own RMA rates and it could have changed in the couple weeks since that statement was made.
And in other news, AIBs are NEVER going to start telling journalists that they have huge RMA rates. That is stuff you have to have deep contacts for to find out and then you are going to need specific information about it to publish it.

I personally had this happen with the 4 series cards, and more recent years we can recall the 1080 gtx issues from EVGA.

Its not a new problem that every card will have issues like this, but it is a concern when one company has this across 2 generations of GPU in a row.

I've had a video card give up the magic smoke like that, but it was quite some time ago.

I personally had this happen with the 4 series cards, and more recent years we can recall the 1080 gtx issues from EVGA.

Its not a new problem that every card will have issues like this, but it is a concern when one company has this across 2 generations of GPU in a row.

I think its a concern by weight of problems, this is just one more example of a 2080ti failing, something is going on under the hood here.

"Self immolation is a tough way to go out", "undoubtedly adding to his HardForum post count", "In totally unrelated news, EVGA has started selling discount fire insurance this week"...

Kyle, you are on FIRE today. :LOL:
I will be here all week, remember to tip your waitresses. New thread tags just for you.

I'm getting one next week. I'll let you know if it catches fire.

Be nice to know what components failed to cause the fire to happen.

This is final proof. All electronics work with smoke. There is special smoke inside all electronics that makes it work. Once this smoke is released, it will stop working. You can however prevent this from happening by taping all electronic components. Duck tape will work well. This will prevent any smoke from escaping, helping your device to keep on working just fine.

But even if only a small bit of smoke escapes, it will be rendered useless. It is also dangerous, as seen here, that sometimes this smoke might cause a fire, so DON'T LET IT OUT!!!

Can't tell from the picture, is that a stock 2080ti cooler or an EVGA cooler? I ask because a full on damn fire seems like it would be caused by something shorting it out from the outside (kind of like the coin someone listed earlier that exploded their gpu). Wondering if it might be a poorly mounted cooler having a screw without a plastic washer or something wonky like that.

So... this is why we water cool. It's a builtin sprinkler system.

But why do computers catch fire? In next episode...

Slap a bigger fan, undervolt it, then put an AMD sticker on the box. It'll be fine.

As these things get more, and more powerful there is only so much power that can come out of a 120V socket before you start over clocking your homes walls... I mean what next disconnecting your refrigerator / Stove to get at the 240V socket?

What a piece of garbage! When my Evga 790i motherboard burst into flames, it kept trying to boot Vista until I yanked the cord!

Back