EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with hybrid cooler kit problem

Nexus6

Limp Gawd
Howdy,

I purchased av EVGA hybrid cooler kit for my FTW3. Installed it last night, followed all the directions to the letter. Now it won't boost at all, GPU clocks are locked at 1569MHz (used to sustain 1980-2000 on air). Ram still overclocks just fine. Adjusting power target at all, or fan speed, basically causes the system to lock up. Card runs cool, 40c, but that's to be expected as it's not able to run full speed.

I've reseated the card, checked the pcie power cables, and reverted to the stock FTW3 air cooler. The problem persists.

I've opened a support ticket with evga but I'm just at a complete loss to understand what could have possibly failed on the card. The power and ram fans no longer spin at all.

Any thoughts other than 'there goes $900"

Howdy,

I purchased av EVGA hybrid cooler kit for my FTW3. Installed it last night, followed all the directions to the letter. Now it won't boost at all, GPU clocks are locked at 1569MHz (used to sustain 1980-2000 on air). Ram still overclocks just fine. Adjusting power target at all, or fan speed, basically causes the system to lock up. Card runs cool, 40c, but that's to be expected as it's not able to run full speed.

I've reseated the card, checked the pcie power cables, and reverted to the stock FTW3 air cooler. The problem persists.

I've opened a support ticket with evga but I'm just at a complete loss to understand what could have possibly failed on the card. The power and ram fans no longer spin at all.

Any thoughts other than 'there goes $900"

Strange.. have you asked on Evga's forum??

Talking to their support, they're recommending an RMA.

It almost seems like the hybrid cooler nuked the memory/power fan controller.

Or the power cord is pinched? Or one of the small pins backed out of the connector when seated?

Likely nicked a part and damaged it during the install.

Likely nicked a part and damaged it during the install.

Possible, but there is not visible damage to any surface mount components or the pcb. It's not a super complex operation and I didn't use anything other than my hands to remove the air cooling components.

Bummer man :( Does sound to me like something was damaged during the install.

With EVGA, I'd be super surprised if you're truly out anything more then time. I'd opt for an RMA if offered (for peace of mind going forward), and ask about cross shipping too. Plenty of positive RMA experiences with EVGA can be found, hoping you end up in that same boat if it comes to that.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. My first EVGA 1080TI had a dead displayport out of the box. Shit happens.

Back