EVGA 1070 FTW or Gigabyte G1 1070

sze5003

n00b
The EVGA 1070 FTW has a $20 coupon which brings it down to $439 shipped. While the G1 from Gigabyte is $434. Are they pretty much similar? I hear Gigabyte RMA and customer service can be lacking. Their motherboards are decent but I've never had any of their graphics cards.

Which would you choose? Both are on newegg.

Last edited:
Which FTW? There are 3 listed on EVGA's site. And, where's this coupon at?

I assume he means rebate.

The EVGA 1070 FTW has a $20 coupon which brings it down to $439 shipped. While the G1 from Gigabyte is $434. Are they pretty much similar? I hear Gigabyte RMA and customer service can be lacking. Their motherboards are decent but I've never had any of their graphics cards.

Which would you choose?

EVGA has top notch support, I buy all my PSUs and GPUs from them. My only gripe with the 10 series is the hideous design on the 1070/1080 but to each their own.

I assume he means rebate.

Nope it's a $20 coupon listed on top of the $459 model. 1070 FTW edition not the DT. On newegg.
EVGA has top notch support, I buy all my PSUs and GPUs from them. My only gripe with the 10 series is the hideous design on the 1070/1080 but to each their own.

Yea that is what I have heard too.

Not me, I fkin love the design on their 1070 (even more so when you consider how much bigger and heavier all the other manufacturers made their coolers this time around.

And it's also interesting, because I'm on the opposite side of the service argument too, because where I live, I get faster and easier (though not necessarily better) service from ASUS and MSI than from EVGA considering what it costs me to ship to them (I live in Canada, 30 minutes from ASUS and MSI depots)

I'm definitely the exception to the average case though.

EVGA has always been great to me.

Years ago I had issues with a GTX 460. They replaced it no problem EVEN THOUGH I couldn't find any receipt or record of my purchase. And again Last year, they took care of me when a GTX 780ti failed.... They replaced it with a GTX 980...

I have since built an entire Hadron ITX with all EVGA components for my 4K living room TV.

Do I love the cooler design on the 10 series... meh, not really. But it could be worse. EVGA has earned my loyalty.

Went with the EVGA 1070 FTW from the newegg. It was $460 but there was a coupon yesterday that brought it down to $439 shipped.

Got the FedEx tracking today. Based on the support and what I hear about them, seems like I should give them a try.

I bought the 1070 ftw from evga. Solid as heck card, seriously overbuilt internals . 10/10 would buy again ;)

I bought the 1070 ftw from evga. Solid as heck card, seriously overbuilt internals . 10/10 would buy again ;)

I just bought the 08G-P4-6276-KR same card from Microcenter for 429$. Just like you said, the thing is built like a steel tank. I like how you can cycle rgb through the cards leds. 10/10 indeed. Thing is worth every penny!

I just bought the 08G-P4-6276-KR same card from Microcenter for 429$. Just like you said, the thing is built like a steel tank. I like how you can cycle rgb through the cards leds. 10/10 indeed. Thing is worth every penny!

I got the same one from Newegg a few days ago. Now last time I checked it was $459 on there but I got it for $439. Definitely solid built, and I have yet to reach its overclocking limit. I left off at +200 on memory clock as I can't stand the process of benchmarking when you OC lol. I'll do it in steps until I see artifacts then try and see how much the GPU clock can go up to. So far its giving me excellent performance at 1440p and doom is a lot more enjoyable now.

Got Evga 1070sc solid card. Quiet and performs well. Even at 60-70% speed the damn thing is quiet. I won't touch anything else after experiencing how quiet and cool it ran. My graphic card is facing down almost touching my power supply. I thought blower would work better but this cooler is amazing. Stock clocks it stayed in the high 60s. I gotta give props to evga some amazing cooler design!

I would definitely go with the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW. EVGA has the best support and service in the industry but that particular model has a dual BIOS which the G1 Gaming does not. It also comes clocked much higher out of the box and is likely to be a better overall overclocker. The G1 isn't a bad card but the FTW is better in about every way including aesthetics (IMO).

P.S. I've had the 1070 G1 Gaming and STRIX and also the 1080 G1 Gaming, STRIX, and now own the FTW.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've gone with EVGA last 3 build (GTX 470s SC, 670s FTW and 1070s FTW).

My 470s died after 3 years of overclocking on air, 670s still going strong and loving the 1070s so far.

My only complain is the EVGA Precision which is buggy.
  1. Doesn't sync my two cards so need to adjust each card manually;
  2. Default fan profile are pretty bad. Cards were getting into high 70s lows 80s before I adjusted the fan profile. Now they don't go over 63 degrees;
  3. OSD font is big an invasive compared to the older version of Precision; and
  4. G510 Keyboard, font is too big.

I'd definitely go with the Gigabyte, it probably cools better and aesthetically it's more pleasing. Both will probably hit the same 2-2.1 ghz OC wall.

I'd definitely go with the Gigabyte, it probably cools better and aesthetically it's more pleasing. Both will probably hit the same 2-2.1 ghz OC wall.

My friends Asus Strix card runs cooler than mine but like the Gigabyte it has 3 fans and is much larger. In terms of aesthetics beauty is in the eye if beholder. I find the 3 card fans to be a bit too big and overwhelming and your OC is subject to the silicon lottery not the brand or model.

I have had a gtx 660 SSC from EVGA since forever. Only recently it cant handle some of the higherend games at high settings, just doesnt do well. EVGA has never let me down, while I have burned through 2-3 asus cards due to overheating but that could be more because of my hotbox than the card.

Between FTW and G1 - ftw is a no brainer. However between FTW and Extreme (if you can get one) - extreme is better.

My only worry about EVGA there is a good number of peeps on newegg complaining about coil whine issues, I'm curious what EVGA would do in these situation, could this qualify for RMA?

It seems MSI Gaming cards have VRAM lottery (they are using less successful to OC micron instead of samsung). One of the reasons I'm thinking about getting OC Strix myself.

I'm sorry for going sidetrack, so to answer your quesiton... based on my reading.. if I had to chose between G1 and FTW, I would for sure pick FTW.

I didn't realize there was an extreme edition. Didn't see it in stock when I bought the FTW edition.

As for the coil whine, mine does not seem to have it except for when I'm using heaven to test my OC and I quit heaven, fps shoots up to like 1000 for a split few seconds.

I've read in some newegg reviews EVGA will RMA if you have a bad case of whining.

Well I just bought the EVGA 1080FTW today. Runs at 60 degrees 2100mhz and is quiet as a mouse. I would say grab the EVGA.

I have the 1070 G1, great card, OC is the same as every other 1070. Runs 62c under load.

Honestly, they're so close that it probably doesn't matter what you go with.

EDIT: Oops, I see you bought the EVGA :)

I have not checked temps on the card while gaming but under heaven benchmark it can go up to 70 C during testing. I've slowly been testing out the over clock and I started with the memory first. I stopped at +200 on that since I got tired of watching the heaven benchmark. No artifacts and max temp is around 70. I'll continue bumping up the memory until I see some oddities and then I'll try the gpu clock and see how far that can go. This thing is very quiet compared to what my 7970ghz was.

Anyone want to share a custom fan profile they have? I feel like the stock on is not so good.

Last edited:
I'm an EVGA guy all the way. Just got the 2nd best 1070 FTW, myself. Badass GPU!

I have not checked temps on the card while gaming but under heaven benchmark it can go up to 70 C during testing. I've slowly been testing out the over clock and I started with the memory first. I stopped at +200 on that since I got tired of watching the heaven benchmark. No artifacts and max temp is around 70. I'll continue bumping up the memory until I see some oddities and then I'll try the gpu clock and see how far that can go. This thing is very quiet compared to what my 7970ghz was.

Anyone want to share a custom fan profile they have? I feel like the stock on is not so good.

My fan profile is as follows:
  • 0 - 47 Degrees Celcius: 0%
  • 50 Degrees: 30%
  • 60 Degrees: 55%
  • 70 Degrees: 70%
  • 80 Degrees: 85%
  • 90 Degrees: 95%
  • 100 Degrees: 100%
Temps no longer exceed 63 degrees. I was seeing mid-70s before adjusting the fan profile in some games like Far Cry 4.

Back