Everywhere You've Used A Credit Card Has Been Hacked

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let's face it, everywhere you've ever shopped will eventually be hacked and your information stolen. This time it just happens to be Kmart. :(

Similar to the Dairy Queen/Orange Julius breach that was confirmed today, as well as the Jewel/Osco hack before that, and the Jimmy John’s, Home Depot, and Target payment data breaches before that, in-store payment systems were infected with malware, and an unknown number of credit and debit card numbers were stolen.

imagine if the legislation had passed to get credit card implants in our bodies... I'd be so sore by now.

Why don't these people hack money into our bank accounts or pay off all the outstanding balances?

God forbid any of these companies actually destroyed the credit card data after the transaction is complete instead of databasing it for eternity. Why is anyone's guess.

This is why I use shopsafe which is BofA's free service for credit cards that let's you generate a temporary card # so you never have to give your real one. Great for online shopping and really great for those companies that try to auto rebill and make it a hassle requiring multiple phonecalls to cancel.

I don't have a credit card. Can't spend money I don't have.

About a year ago I told some family members virtually every place they shop is compromised in some way with regards to credit card security, and that 100% of major chains have breaches. They didn't believe me, and worse, they didn't want to hear it.

It's probably Illinois's Dick Durbin data-mining all major retailers so they can find out which Illinois residents have purchased online and have not paid the "use tax". ;-)

What is the "use tax"? Let's say you're an Illinois resident and you buy components for a PC build from Newegg. You're not going to get charged sales tax because you're buying online. By Illinois law, since you are going to "use" those components in Illinois, you're supposed to pay the "use tax".

Now, let's say you buy a t-shirt at Walt Disney or Universal Studios in Florida. You're going to end up paying sales tax. Do you think you should pay the "use tax" in Illinois because you can use that t-shirt in Illinois? Hell NO is what I say!

But I digress ...

This is one the reasons why I actually hold some Bitcoin and hope for its long term success. Because if the carelessness of these companies is going to cause me to have money stolen (or at least credit line that I may be liable for), at least my BTC wallet and any value inside of it will be safe. I bought some stuff on Newegg using BTC and it was a breeze. Since then I've really become a strong supporter of crypto currencies. They've shown me there really is absolutely no need for any middle man be it a bank or credit card company.

This is one the reasons why I actually hold some Bitcoin and hope for its long term success. Because if the carelessness of these companies is going to cause me to have money stolen (or at least credit line that I may be liable for), at least my BTC wallet and any value inside of it will be safe. I bought some stuff on Newegg using BTC and it was a breeze. Since then I've really become a strong supporter of crypto currencies. They've shown me there really is absolutely no need for any middle man be it a bank or credit card company.

Good point, because there hasn't been any Bitcoin breaches....

Well, if you ONLY use cash....shouldn't be a problem. Just sayin'. I use credit and debit cards too, but....I'm starting to lean towards using cash more and more.

Well, if you ONLY use cash....shouldn't be a problem. Just sayin'. I use credit and debit cards too, but....I'm starting to lean towards using cash more and more.

Its probably less safer depending on your area to carry cash on you all the time vs just having credit cards.

If you're buying a sandwich on credit, you have bigger problems.

Not the point at all...

I personally use credit/check cards for 99% of my purchases because in this day and age everything is digital. It is convenient, I don't touch my pay check it goes into my accounts automatically... I then use my cards to buy stuff... no trip to a bank or ATM to worry about.

How much cash do I need? Not an issue with a card.

I messed my credit up when I was young, its all fixed now but I still pay "cash" (aka check card) for most everything.

I am switching over to credit because you can get cash back, miles etc which is free $$$ if you are responsible and pay it back each month without any APR % fees.

Some cards extend warranties etc

So yes I will put that sammich on my card!

The rate at which these hacks are happening almost makes me think it is governmental level. Like the NSA is taking revenge on the feeble masses that are protesting the idea the NSA has for the world.

Quite honestly the system they have, I really don't give a rats arse...

I had my check card # stolen from somewhere, I think the PS fiasco.

I was pretty clueless didn't even notice until about 2k was taken from goofy daily charges from all over the place.

Wells Fargo literally put the money back in with 1-2 phone calls and a emailed list of charges. Took a week at most. Granted I am lucky that I can afford a temp loss like that, but still this day and age most of it is covered.

Though we should be angry that ultimately we ALL pay for these breaches (via higher prices), the companies sure won't.

In some major metro areas around the world that have mass transit the transit cards are tied directly to a debit card or a credit card. You can't purchase one with cash because they want to track you everywhere you go. With cash based cards you can't know for sure who purchased the card.

I think the hackers may have another agenda ... use cash instead of some EFT process. ;-)

I recently bought 2 DieHard Platinum G65 AGM truck batteries (rebranded EnerSys Odysseys) online from Sears with a store pickup. Annual sale price-online discount-previous points applied. PayPal. 30-second pickup guarantee (which they met).

Got the best batteries on the planet for my truck at 1/2 retail, and have Sears nationwide 5-year replacement + 5 more years prorated warranty on my phone and cloud storage.

You can use PayPal online or at the register at Sears and Kmart and Home Depot and a bunch of other places... :)

Good point, because there hasn't been any Bitcoin breaches....

As far as someone successfully attacking the BTC block chain and stealing coins, not there has not, and has for 5 years now proven to be 100% safe to hold funds on your own computer.

The rate at which these hacks are happening almost makes me think it is governmental level. Like the NSA is taking revenge on the feeble masses that are protesting the idea the NSA has for the world.

It's not really their style, besides if it was and it ever came to light? heads would roll. No. I doubt this theory of yours.

It's just the vulnerability of mag strips. THEY NEED TO GO. THEY ARE OBSOLETE TECH!

why do we even care about credit card hacking?

credit card companies cover all the fraud

It's not really their style, besides if it was and it ever came to light? heads would roll. No. I doubt this theory of yours.

It's just the vulnerability of mag strips. THEY NEED TO GO. THEY ARE OBSOLETE TECH!

The only way to really verify the validity is if the stolen information starts to be used. I haven't heard of any large scale use of any of these big data thefts.

I wish companies would be held liable for this stuff, it's getting ridiculous how they just don't care about security. Seems they all outsource/downsize IT and this is what happens and they don't get in trouble because they have insurance. Cheaper to deal with the problem than to prevent it.

why do we even care about credit card hacking?

credit card companies cover all the fraud
Yup, if you're going to use a card all the time use a credit card. If your check card gets stolen you're going to have a much harder time than if your credit card is.

Companies for the most part actually do care about security. The issue is usually most companies are not willing to impact their customer experience to inact a solid security plan. Which is of course idiotic because a customer dealing with a potential data breach, or worse ID theft or loss of money is a much bigger customer experience issue.

Companies for the most part actually do care about security. The issue is usually most companies are not willing to impact their customer experience to inact a solid security plan. Which is of course idiotic because a customer dealing with a potential data breach, or worse ID theft or loss of money is a much bigger customer experience issue.

They only care so far as their liability period, even then they have short term memory.

I worked for a healthcare group, which had a doctor lose a USB drive he kept all of his patient data on (never mind we had a web based EMR system). The loss was front page of the wall street journal.

Of course for about a month security and outrage was thrown all over the place. We dropped everything to demo endpoint USB security. Money and features we asked for not a year before denied... were instantly approved.

2 months later when the system was demo'ed... locking down USB was too much of a hassle and the previous emergency was completely forgotten about, matter was completely dropped.... until the next breach that is.

Until someone sees you paying cash, and sticks a gun in your face when you come out of the store....

At least with credit cards you are not responsible for charges you didn't make. It's also a good excuse for all the fake charities and bums asking for money... Sorry, I don't carry any cash....
I'm just waiting for a bum to whip out an iPhone and a credit card reader and tell me that's ok because they take credit....

The only way to really verify the validity is if the stolen information starts to be used. I haven't heard of any large scale use of any of these big data thefts.

They use them down the line, weeks to months later. With as many companies starting to announce the hacks far after it's happened, it's unsurprising.

Back