Everything okay with your console? Sound in!

Klintor

Limp Gawd
Thee are always threads complaining about problems with the [insert console here]. While I'm not saying those problems don't exist (they do exist, in a big way), I don't really see any people saying "Hey, mine's working just fine! Thanks for asking." A chance to say something like that doesn't usually present itself, as people have a natural tendency to complain to others, and praise to themselves.

So, I have created this thread for owners of any recent video game consoles. PS2, GC, Xbox, Xbox 360, etc. The thread is supposed to be directed at the recent Xbox 360, but if it has worked for you, or works for you now after a fix, post it here. Personally, my Gamecube and Xbox have always worked just fine, my launch PS2 had to be fixed once and has been going strong ever since, and my launch Xbox 360 has had no problems whatsoever, even after the recent dashboard update.

Sound in! You rarely get the chance to do so.

Remember! This is a place to talk about positive experiences, not bad ones about broken consoles.

My main PS2 has been working fine since launch day; even backup discs don't affect it.

I also have an Xbox with a Thomson drive and even though its main purpose is a DVD player, the drive has given me no issues and it has never been cleaned.

My Dreamcast has been having some issues with CD-Rs, but otherwise works fine.

My Gamecube works swell. Never had a problem.
So does my Sega Saturn, Sega Genesis, Original Nintendo (with zapper), and my Commodore Vic20 (a little beat up, but works). Oh yeah, my Bentley Compuvison (pong) works good too.

My Xbox ran great until I killed it (dont try to solder a modchip if you have no idea what you are doing, bad things happen)

PS2 ran great, no problems, only had it for a few months though.

My 1st gamecube developed a problem with the disc motor (sometimes It wouldnt spin up the disc and you would have to kind of jumpstart it). 2nd one worked fine.

So far no problems with the 360 other than the release schedule.

Xbox 360 - Working just fine since launch day

Xbox - Had problems near the end where it wouldn't read discs, but I was able to fix it by cleaning the laser lens. If it were to fail in the future, I could replace the drive and wouldn't have to deal with any problems.

Gamecube - No problems since launch day.

Playstation 2 - My siblings dropped it once, the controller ports got loose but I took it apart and fixed it. :p Other than that, no problems since launch.

Got my first gamecube on launch day and it worked fine until summer 04 when it meet it's end... being slammed into a wall.... don't ask.... though it still worked well enough to sell to gamestop :p
Second cube was purchased after that (with gamestop credit... at a different gamestop >.>) works fine to this day.

Xbox was aquired ~1 year ago and meet a similar fate as gamecube #1.... never replaced it.

Edit:
All my older consoles (NES, Genesis, & SNES) are all in working order. Sold my n64 off so not sure on it.

My Gamecube has worked fine since I got it used in May of 2005. It was one of the launch Gamecubes so it's been going for quite some time.

My Xbox 360 works perfectly. I have not encountered any overheating. I have only had crashing in Oblivion which I'm pretty sure is due to the game and not the hardware as I have similar problems on my PC. Nothing else crashes.

I've always had good luck with consoles... nerver had one break on me. But I have shit for luck with PC parts. I'd had DOA part(s) or parts that died a premature death on every computer I've built or owned for the past 5 years.

My PS1 which I got in about 1998 died in about 2002. The CD drive broke the laser still worked but the thing that was spinning the disk around the laser stopped working.

About a year ago I picked up an N64 from EB just because I've never owned one and wanted to play some of the exclusive games that got good reviews. About 5 months after I got it, it wouldn't put out a image to the TV even with new cables just sound. But that was used from EB games so I don't know where it has been or how old it was.

My slim PS2 I got about a year and a half ago always worked fine although these last 6 months I haven't really used it very much.

My older model PS2 has worked fine since 2002 when I got it. I once dropped a 13 inch TV on it and the plastic in back got all little chipped but it's always worked fine. Tons of dust in it though. Sold it to my brother when I go my slim PS2 it still works and he uses it a lot.

All my consoles work well. The only one that gives me problems is the Nintendo and I believe it is fine and the problem lies with the actual cartidges. Some work well and some don't.

I've only had my Gamecube since this last Christmas, so I can't talk much on the reliability of it. I've had my N64 since the price drop to $150, no problems whatsoever. My Xbox that I got for free a couple months ago seems to be working fine. I was worried about the reliability of it since it had a modchip and 250GB hard drive installed. I guess the installer did a good job. My PS2, however, wasn't so lucky. I guess 5 years is a long time, but it pissed me off when the DVD portion of the laser crapped out one day while played hot shots golf fore. I am such a whore, I'm gonna buy another one. Too many games just sitting around unfinished to not do it.

PS2 stopped working with dual shock and has problems reading some disks.

Dreamcast is perfect in all ways. (9/9/99 btw)

PS1 has lots of problems reading disks.

Genesis is perfect in all ways.

SNES is perfect in all ways.

Game Gear is perfect in all ways.

Game Boy is perfect in all ways.

The only console I have that has had problems working is my original Nintendo, with the whole cartridge contact problem. PS2, Gamecube, Gameboys, etc. are all working fine, aside from one modded PS1 which only reads imported games now for some reason.... From experiences with other friends' and family's systems though I'd have to say Nintendo takes the cake for most durable hardware. The only problematic piece was their N64 controller's thumb stick which wore out when noobs mashed it all around like... well... noobs. I played way more N64 than most and mine were fine. People need to finese more and mash less, but that design was definitely not ideal.

I've definitely noticed though that the whole optical disc revolution for consoles has definitely made reliability go way, way downhill from days of old with cartridges.

PS2 makes a grinding noise when tray opens.
Gamecube and Xbox360 work fine.
Got a DS, DS Lite & PSP that all work great.

PS1 - no idea, since it hasn't been plugged in for years (just use the ps2)
PS2 (launch window) - still running strong, the cd tray jammed but wasn't hard to fix
Dreamcast (9/9/99) - still running
n64 (launch day) - still running
SNES - still running
Gamecube - still running
GBA (launch day) - still running
GB Micro - still running
DS - still running

So far I've been lucky, I've seen my friends' DC, PS1s, and PS2s die before. I've seen my nephew kill two GBA SPs so far, but he's doing that all by himself.

My PS1 (only console I currently own; not the PSOne version...old school) is still is still alive and kicking.

:)

My original Xbox that i've had for a while now is still running strong. I'm mostly using it as a cheap DVD player, as I do most of my gaming on the X360 now. I've had my X360 since launch day last year with massive gaming hours(probably 500+) without a single problem yet.

My SNES ans N64 are still truckin along and still hooked up to the tv. My buddies launch Xbox is still going strong. Mine on the other hand (bought it the day Halo 2 came out) died for no aparent reason. Stupid Xbox. Great Nintendo though!

I purchased my console on launch date and everything has been rock solid since purchase! Loving the 360!

XBOX still working perfectly since I bought it on launch day
XBOX 360 bought it a month after launch, have had 2-3 freezes in oblivion (hopefully patch will have aleviated those), other than that no problems

Xbox 1 is working perfectly, aswell as my launch day PS2 and Gamecube. The one of two of my original PSX units will not read discs unless its on its side. As for my X360, my launch day one died a week after I purchased it, the replacement so far is running good... for now...

I gotta say, the X360 feels the cheapest built out of all the consoles, It feels fragile. I hope the PS3 doesn't have the same feeling.

My Super NES still runs like a champ. :D

Playstation - didn't have problems for the 6 years I used it (bought it in 1997)
Playstation 2 - bought it in 2005, runs great, even though my mom came into my room and tripped on the controller cable, bringing it crashing down to the ground from 3 feet up, causing the tray to pop open and my game to pause. It's been fine the last two days through extended play time, so I hope the slims are resilient.

Gamecube - I own 2, running fine since 2002 ever since I got a replacement for my first one (under 1 year warranty).

I don't own the 360 - but my ex-roommate owns both it and the 360, been running fine even though he never turns it off, he just turns off the TV, comes back 6 hours later to finish the game he was playing.

My PS2 purchased on 1-31-01 still plays games just fine.
However it is tweaking out when playing DVDs especially DVDs I made.

Also I wore out one of my controllers while playing Kingdom Hearts 2.

PS2 been working perfect since launch day. It did stop reading DVD's at one point, but this is a very common problem. I opened it up, used a q-tip and some alcohol on the laser, and the problem was instantly solved. :)

Same thing happened to my friends a couple of weeks later, I used the same procedure and it worked perfect.

Despite being a closed tray console, they are not exactly dust proof.

My old N64 died on me lately so I had to eBay a new one ($25). Also sadly my original Genisys is no longer working but I didn't store it very well so ya ... :(

I still have an Atari Lynx in perfect condition, and my Xbox 360 is running tip top. :D

xbox360: No trouble. Love the dashboard update.

PS2: Had to replace the DVD drive once.

PS1: Died and never placed it.

Genesis: Still works, but the video cable needs to be taped tight. The system was pushed up agianst the wall one too many times. (So, user fault)

Nintendo: Worked great for years, but last time I turned it on games would only run about 15 mins before freezing.

I have a working NES that I repaired, my original SNES, N64, and Gamecube work fine. I am pretty sure I have a working original gameboy but can't seem to find it. My PS2 died twice, got rid of it. My XBOX died, got rid of it. The only next gen system I am getting is the Wii

My gamecube started freezing nonstop but only in certain games after about a year and a half, and my ps2 gave me disc read errors after about the same amount of time. All i had to do was clean the laser on the ps2 but i had to buy a new gamecube. Ive opened up my xbox probably a dozen times for modding purposes and its always run like a champ. 360, psp, ds lite, no problems whatsoever.

N64 bought used a few years back and still runs good. 2 Dreamcasts (1 around launch maybe and one given to us 2yrs ago) run fine. PS2 runs great but it is my third one I think (traded first for GT3 bundle, second for network bundle). Xbox from launch had a problem but I now have two modded ones that have been running fine. Xbox360 runs great but it has stalled a few times since Feb.

None of my portables have ever had to be replaced/repaired. Clear Original GB w/duct tape battery cover FTW!

Every console I have ever owned (started with an NES) has been absolutely perfect until recently with my Xbox 360 and DS Lite.

The DS has 2 dead pixels, but Nintendo has an awesome warranty. Kinda sucks seeing as my PSP has no dead pixels, super rare. However my PSP screen got scratched bad and they wouldn't take it back under warranty. The replacement faceplates are poor quality so I asked Sony if I can just purchase the faceplate and they said no. So now I'm using a crappy replacement faceplate with a bunch of tiny divots, hairline scratches, and dust or something I cannot get out under the screen. Never again, Sony.

My Xbox 360 has a noisy fan. The bearing is coming loose or something but I don't think I can send it back for that, plus I don't want to be Xbox-less for an extended period of time. :p I also have one with the earlier DVD drive that is noisy as hell.

dreamcast (launch) works fine
n64 (second batch) works fine
psx(a yr after release) works fine
ps2(second batch) works fine
xbox(a lil under half a yr after initial release) works fine
gamecube (a lil over a yr since release) works fine

gameboy color is still good (packed for safe keeping)
gba is still good
psp is still running like a champ, dispite the dead pixel issue with the initial releases, my was first batch

nes and snes work great but are packed into their oringal boxes for safe keeping.

Launch Xbox 360 still running strong

Launch PlayStation 2 worked fine with no probs, but I sold it after a year. I don't know how it runs at present time.

Launch Xbox 1 runs fine. I sold it to my bro a year ago, and it's still running perfectly

PlayStation 1 worked for about a month, then wouldn't work. 3rd times a charm, I guess, as the 3rd one worked fine up until I sold it like 2 years ago.

Snes/Sega Genesis worked fine for 10 years until I lost track of them from moving.

Nes lasted until just about the time I lost track of the Snes and the Genesis.

my xbox 360 has been running like a champ - the only 2 crashes I've seen have been in backwards compatibility titles - I reset the box and it reloads and plays fine on those two occassions. I've got a launch box from November 22nd. Waited in line at wal-mart for six hours. Bought 2(my wife went with me) - sold one on ebay and paid for my unit completely with the mad profits.

All consoles I've ever owned are working fine, new and old.

My SNES is still working after who knows how long I've had it (10+ years???)

Original playstation is still working

Dreamcast is still working

PS2 is still working from December of 2001 (never had a problem with it)

Xbox 360 - just bought it yesterday and played it for about 6 hrs straight with no freezes or anything. I bought a Fan for it, but I think I'm going to return it now.

*Knock on wood for all the mentioned systems*

Back