Everyone Still Using Their Galaxy Note 7

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to these statistics, no one really seems to care that their Galaxy Note 7 can blow up at any time. People are still using it as much now as they were two weeks ago when the device was recalled. Fire, schmire, who cares? I still need to use my phone. :D

Nearly two weeks after Samsung recalled the Galaxy Note 7 due to the risk of explosion, the device is still being used just as frequently by its owners. This is according to data from Apteligent, a mobile analytics company that claims "usage rate of the phone among existing users has been almost the exact same since the day of the recall."

Just received official word from Samsung:
Dear ......., as part of our voluntary recall, Samsung is announcing that new Galaxy Note7 replacement devices will be available in the United States at most retail locations no later than September 21, 2016.

The company received approval for its exchange program from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and has announced an official U.S. voluntary recall of the Galaxy Note7. We strongly advise all customers who have Galaxy Note7 devices to replace their current device with a new device under the terms of the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program.

That's why we don't care.

I am still using mine as well but it is because I have no other phone. I have already contacted my carrier and arranged the replacement which will ship overnight but the shipping dates are between today and the 19th. Granted I won't charge it while I sleep.

Last edited:
I could have sworn I read somewhere that all the Note7's that exploded did so while bring charged using cheap Chinese eBay special USB-C adapter cables.

Was this incorrect?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that all the Note7's that exploded did so while bring charged using cheap Chinese eBay special USB-C adapter cables.

Was this incorrect?

Incorrect. The problem is from a defect in the Samsung SDI batteries. Somewhere in manufacturing the batteries received impurities in the chemical makeup, like water in your gas tank. It's hard to know which phones are affected so everything has to be recalled.

I still have mine, but I ran it down to about half charge and stuck it back in it's box, and I am using my craptastic One+2. Sometime after the 21'st I will call my local store and see if they have them in stock, and stop in to swap out when they do.

I haven't had much time due to family death (lost my mother to cancer last Friday). Sadly where I live, the nearest AT&T store is an hour away (why I can't take it to the other stores I do not know...). Has to be a corporate store...anyho. Might be able to take it this Saturday though...hope so.

I have a manager at work that's refuses to stop using it. He said "it's only been like 35 confirmed issues, people are blowing this out of the water". In other words " it won't happen to OMG MY HANDS ARE ON FIRE".

Why I always wait to make sure there are no bugs before getting a new phone. Was really looking at getting this and trading in my Priv, but I will stick with blackberry.

I have a manager at work that's refuses to stop using it. He said "it's only been like 35 confirmed issues, people are blowing this out of the water". In other words " it won't happen to OMG MY HANDS ARE ON FIRE".

Why I always wait to make sure there are no bugs before getting a new phone. Was really looking at getting this and trading in my Priv, but I will stick with blackberry.

Lol @ blackberry.

Incorrect. The problem is from a defect in the Samsung SDI batteries. Somewhere in manufacturing the batteries received impurities in the chemical makeup, like water in your gas tank. It's hard to know which phones are affected so everything has to be recalled.
Actually they said SDI batteries positive and negative leads were too close, or something along those lines so it causes a short, has nothing to do with impurities.

I finally gave in and refunded my Note 7 for an S7 Edge earlier this week. Within 24 hours I now have a smashed screen. On the upside, my case arrives tomorrow...

As far as I can tell it is just for the Note 7's that has a US manufactured battery...on Samsung's website Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program

Which means not all 2 million + phones are being recalled and it is going to suck for the battery manufacture who I suspect is going to foot some of the replacement costs.
PS The new safe Note 7's are supposed to be available next week

Last edited:
PS The new safe Noote 7's are supposed to be available next week

What is unclear to me is what this means. Are these actual new Note 7's with good batteries?

Because I've read that there is a software patch that "fixes" the issue by limiting the battery to a max charge of 60%.

I certainly hope this doesn't mean that people will just be getting Note 7's with 40% less battery capacity...

IMHO, that's not a fix.

Too bad they didn't make the Note 7 with user replaceable batteries.... Would have been much cheaper/easier to just swap the battery.

What is unclear to me is what this means. Are these actual new Note 7's with good batteries?

Because I've read that there is a software patch that "fixes" the issue by limiting the battery to a max charge of 60%.

I certainly hope this doesn't mean that people will just be getting Note 7's with 40% less battery capacity...

IMHO, that's not a fix.

As I understand it the replacements are supposed to have brand new batteries that won't blow up on you.

The software patch that limits the batteries capacity is for folks to use until they can get their phones replaced or get a refund. It isn't a permanent solution.

As I understand it the replacements are supposed to have brand new batteries that won't blow up on you.

The software patch that limits the batteries capacity is for folks to use until they can get their phones replaced or get a refund. It isn't a permanent solution.

That is good!

I hope this is the case!

My wife is still using hers. I just make sure I charge it in the morning and unplug it when it's 95% or higher. I know it's probably safest to either charge it underwater (a rubbermaid container filled with water sitting on top of a wireless charger) or have it sitting in a ceramic pot or something like it but whatever.

I got a FedEx email notification today saying my wife's replacement Note7 has shipped and will be here (Vancouver, Canada) tomorrow.

I would have turned it off even if it is the only phone I have. Not using it!

Android fanbots, you gotta laugh... Oh well, we will see these once great PC Hardware forums go insane when Samsung sends out that update that will limit the phones charge to 60% of full.

Now that the "official" recall is on based on the CPSC recommendation it'll just get worse.

Was this incorrect?
Sounds like garbage since the charging mechanism is not the problem, it's the batteries themselves. They are so densely packed that the positive and negative ends are coming into contact and shorting out, cause it to heat up, and lithium ion is highly flammable, thus explosion

Now that the "official" recall is on based on the CPSC recommendation it'll just get worse.

Not really. The official recall came along side the approval of the new units to be replaced and sold. Pretty clever business wise to limit consumer fallout.

Just a large screw up on whoever designed the Samsung Note 7. Imagine someone will be out of a job due to this fiasco. The Samsung 6 Edge was phone of the year, so I'm sure Samsung will continue on as a company despite this large mess. Still using my HTC One M8, it is still ticking along nicely, I don't upgrade rapidly like a lot of others. If it works, I keep using it, still playing Starwars Galaxy Of Heroes on my current phone.

I was ready to get this phone and then this fiasco came out. I guess Note 8 or 9 for me. In the meantime, I'll try the Jet Black 7+

I've been using my Note 7 still.. waiting for them to get the new ones with the fixed batteries in stock so I can go swap it out.

I was ready to get this phone and then this fiasco came out. I guess Note 8 or 9 for me. In the meantime, I'll try the Jet Black 7+

Or - if you really wanted this phone - you could just wait a few weeks until they have fixed the battery issue and get one then :p

No need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Just received my wife's replacement unit in the mail. Now to transfer all her stuff over and drop the old one off at the local Samsung Experience Store.

Ok Mactards are getting in their jabs, pure google people are, everyone is so I want to get something out of this too. I hope this will be some sort of lesson about removable batteries to Samsung, I bet this recall would have been a hell of a lot better for Samsung had the batteries not been glued into the phone. I can't even imagine the cost or ripping all those phones apart to replace the batteries.

Back