Everyone Should have a Tire Gauge

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
TEKTON 5941 Digital Tire Gauge - $7

61J0VjkTGnL._SL1500_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, the Ryobi cordless power inflator is pretty awesome. Trigger is pretty sensitive, but it can top off a tire pretty fast.

Dammit. That's just so...practical.

And cheap.

And will be delivered Thursday, December 21.

Had to give one to my mom today cause she took it to some dump car shop that over filled her tires by 10 PSI. She freaks out when her tire warning lite comes on and thinks she has a flat. Guy must of just put air in all the tires with out a gauge. It turned out it was just the spare tire that was low. Surprised they have that shit on spare tires one 10 year old cars.

Are these just as accurate as a good dial gauge? I'm always skeptical of digital gauges as I've had a few that were off by a couple PSI.

Are these just as accurate as a good dial gauge? I'm always skeptical of digital gauges as I've had a few that were off by a couple PSI.

my dad has one of these sitting in the garage and its always spit out the same numbers as my el cheapo slidy ones. I figure if two cheap ones match they are accurate enough :p

my dad has one of these sitting in the garage and its always spit out the same numbers as my el cheapo slidy ones. I figure if two cheap ones match they are accurate enough :p

I suppose probably good enough for passenger vehicle tires.

Thanks! In for one.

I actually just found my old cheap ass plastic slide gauge in my toolbox and thought about getting something more accurate/reliable. This fits the bill

Thanks Kyle. Been meaning to pickup one of these for a while.

These are actually amazingly accurate for $7. I get within 1lb of my high end digital race gauge.

Agree everyone should have one and know how to use it.

I know tekton generally is pretty good but I've had really bad luck with cheap air gauges over the years. The ones on my milton air chuck and my bluepoint racing one do much better.

Whats the matter, afraid negative posts are going to hurt your referral incomes? Yeah - way better to sell forum members junk, waste their money so you can make a few bucks, right?

Whats the matter, afraid negative posts are going to hurt your referral incomes? Yeah - way better to sell forum members junk, waste their money so you can make a few bucks, right?
Forum members are too stupid to make up their own minds if this is a waste of money for them?

Thanks Kyle. This is actually a deal that I'm interested in. :)

I've found that these electronic gauges are more accurate than mechanical ones.

Good to know! I've been using Joe's Racing gauges for awhile now, but these are welcome at $7!

71w5vifnRvL._SY355_.jpg

This is the one I use after a decent amount of research. I like the idea of reading a digital to the tenth but everything I read said that you're spending twice the price for equal accuracy in a digital format. This was $30 and I must say, it's *much* easier to read than I'd have expected. The gap between a single PSI is quite large.

Good to know! I've been using Joe's Racing gauges for awhile now, but these are welcome at $7!

71w5vifnRvL._SY355_.jpg
Thanks! Playa I'll have to grab one of these too.
I'm at the top end of that gauge. I'm pressured up between 50 and 55psi.

Thanks! Playa I'll have to grab one of these too.
I'm at the top end of that gauge. I'm pressured up between 50 and 55psi.
There are a bunch of different models (don't remember what exactly the differences were), also available on Amazon.
Don't forget that sweet [H] referral :)

I use one and the best I can tell you, is the gauge said the tire was at 34.5 PSI and when the car did its check it reported it at 34. So I consider that close enough.

I have used this on the garage for a couple years and have loved it. Locks onto the stem without damaging it. Allows you to bleed off air with handle as well. Nice cover on it, don't have to be too careful with it. Only downside is that it needs batteries about once a year, but it is out in the hot/cold of the garage, so it is understandable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002PUTC0M/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71sF16wgPkL._SL1500_.jpg

I put it on this hose and can get all over the garage with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E6HLC2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81jcthRWoDL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any tire gauge is better than none. And actually using it is good too. I prefer dial gauges myself but that is only because the hose typically makes it easier to get around the pieces of the wheel that might otherwise be in the way.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Had to give one to my mom today cause she took it to some dump car shop that over filled her tires by 10 PSI. She freaks out when her tire warning lite comes on and thinks she has a flat. Guy must of just put air in all the tires with out a gauge. It turned out it was just the spare tire that was low. Surprised they have that shit on spare tires one 10 year old cars.

How is the spare even connected to the tpms?

Electric ones are BS - constantly replacing batteries. No thanks.

I've had mine for about 3 years now, and have never had to replace the batteries. I live in the frigid northeast and have to check frequently as the weather changes, and as I swap my tires out for winter tires. Works perfectly even in sub-zero temps (although the LCD gets a little slow when it's that cold). The built-in light works well and I never need a flashlight.

Anyway, I have taken it apart and the batteries are easy to replace. Also very accurate.

FYI, some of these digitals have two batteries...the easily replaceable one, and one buried inside (coin battery) that supplies power for some internal function that cannot be replaced. When the internal one goes, it's bricked. Supposed to last 6 or 7 years.

I dunno if this one is like that, but just wanted to provide a heads-up.

Some LEXUS vehicles have them on their spares as well...not sure how that works.
All TPMS is radio frequency monitored for the most part. Not exactly like you have a wire running to the inside of any of your tires. Some of it actually monitors tire rotation speed IIRC. Good explanation here. So yeah, your spare would have to be a radio device.

Back