Every two weeks or so my router goes down.....

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
Basically we loose internet and even pulling the power plug doesn't help. The only fix? Re flash it with the firmware.

I am using the latest DD-WRT firmware for the wrt54gl v1.1.

I am wondering, are log files full or something? Can I do something else other than re flashing the firmware every two weeks when it completely stops working? FYI: The router is one year old.

There is a lot of variables that come into play here...

When you say "loose" internet, what do you mean? You cant ping anything or you loose your IP from your router.. What are the specifics....?

-Are you doing anything specific each time your net drops?
-Is this wired or wireless?
-Is this a possible ISP issue?
-Bad firmware? I've never liked DD-WRT, I would suggest Tomato: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
-What other troubleshooting steps have you done?

We are unable to go to any web page and can't ping anything other than the router. This effects both wired and wireless pc's. There isn't any one thing in particular that we do that cause us to loose internet activity other than every two weeks it just stops and I have to re flash the router. The only thing I can get to and ping is the router, nothing past that.

I will say that when the internet stops working if I plug my pc directly into the cable modem I can use the internet so it seems to be a problem with the router.

What are you doing? are you running bittorrent? That can cause all sorts of problems with some routers.

What are you doing? are you running bittorrent? That can cause all sorts of problems with some routers.

It's just my wife and I using basic internet stuff and online gaming (ps3/360). We do stream sometimes with Netflix through one of the game consoles.

I always recommend the D-Link DIR 655 to people. One time in six months I have had to unplug. Just one time. Awesome little router.

I appreciate the responses. If Tomato doesn't work I will look into the D-link that was mentioned.

I appreciate the responses. If Tomato doesn't work I will look into the D-link that was mentioned.

Best home-grade router is the WNDR-3700... If you want to spend the money, anyway.

But try different (free) firmware first.

I am actually wondering specifically what build of DD-WRT you are running. If it isn't a 14xxx build it isn't recent. I know that I had many issues with my Linksys WRT310n with a 12xxx build of DD-WRT which the router database told me was "the most up to date." I then found through the forums that 13064 was at that time the most up to date, installed that and haven't had an issue since. I am now running a 14xxx build to test a few things out, however would recommend if you are not using the 13064 Pre SP2 build update now. I would also recommend flashing with the standard firmware instead of the micro. The micro is required to get you from the linksys to the DD-WRT firmware but once you are on DD-WRT using the standard is really the best way to go.

I am actually wondering specifically what build of DD-WRT you are running. If it isn't a 14xxx build it isn't recent. I know that I had many issues with my Linksys WRT310n with a 12xxx build of DD-WRT which the router database told me was "the most up to date." I then found through the forums that 13064 was at that time the most up to date, installed that and haven't had an issue since. I am now running a 14xxx build to test a few things out, however would recommend if you are not using the 13064 Pre SP2 build update now. I would also recommend flashing with the standard firmware instead of the micro. The micro is required to get you from the linksys to the DD-WRT firmware but once you are on DD-WRT using the standard is really the best way to go.

I am using 13064, the standard version.

The router completely stopping working internet wise tonight. I even re flashed it with the current firmware I had been using and the newest beta version. It seemed "dead".

Fortunately I had already downloaded Tomato and was able to get into the router. I upgraded to Tomato and so far it is working great. The only changes I made so far are:

-changed password to get into router
-named router
-set up security password
-enabled UPnP and NAT
-then made a backup of the config

Is there anything else I should ideally do at this point, or just let it be as is?

Last edited:
If your internet is loose, I would check all connections and ensure they are tightened down. Remember, "righty tighty; lefty loosey".

On slickdeals.net they have a Asus RT-N16 on sale that goes good with tomato sauce.

An alternative is to simply get yourself one of those cheapo timers and plug your router into it. Put the on and off flicker dealies right next to each other, and it will turn off and then back on every night at say 4AM. Should improve reliability.

The router completely stopping working internet wise tonight. I even re flashed it with the current firmware I had been using and the newest beta version. It seemed "dead".

Fortunately I had already downloaded Tomato and was able to get into the router. I upgraded to Tomato and so far it is working great. The only changes I made so far are:

-changed password to get into router
-named router
-set up security password
-enabled UPnP and NAT
-then made a backup of the config

Is there anything else I should ideally do at this point, or just let it be as is?
Tomato seems to be a more fluid OS than the DD-WRT... It's just not the "original" alternate firmware... So many people stick with DD-WRT just because of loyalty (I do think DD-WRT offers more features, but even most geeks won't touch them).

Make sure you're using WPA2 and not just WEP or WPA.
I personally disable UPnP crap- usually more trouble with Windows always trying to configure it or something...

An alternative is to simply get yourself one of those cheapo timers and plug your router into it. Put the on and off flicker dealies right next to each other, and it will turn off and then back on every night at say 4AM. Should improve reliability.
Tomato has scheduler in it... And a reboot is a default option you can set.

Regardless, if Tomato fixed the OP's problem than he should be good to go.

Back