Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
when the 3070 first came out, they were selling for 500-600 right? then at some point I guess retailers were like screw it?

when the 3070 first came out, they were selling for 500-600 right? then at some point I guess retailers were like screw it?

I mean, it makes sense....Supply and Demand man. Business 101.

If private sellers/scalpers are selling them instantly for a higher price, why should they let those people reap all the profits when they are having supply issues getting them themselves.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
It was kind of sketchy. I saw some Evga 3060 Ti's available from some seller off Etsy today for like $350. In-stock, only had like 10 or so total. But he was shipping from Germany for $12. I almost pulled on it but the brain took over. I dont see how that can be legit. I am sure he sold them all but....

I dont think shipping would be $12 from Germany and hes selling at like the all time lowest price ever. Fakes I would assume? Also I had to realize the VAT would be like 19% on top of that which you probably cant recoup if theres an issue.
That's an obvious scam, so similar to the one they pull on ebay just about every day.

Hah. RogueCast got back to me. I asked them about the price difference.

Hi,

So the price on the first image was the result of a glitch causing the price to display incorrectly. The correct price is $721 per unit. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

Hah! And I just looked again and they've changed the price. They, uh, FIXED THE GLITCH

The Gaming x trio is their better card. It should run quite a bit cooler than the 2x and has RGB if that is your thing. It had a massive heatsink on it. Performance should be roughly the same.
I put in for the 3070 Gaming X Trio on Newegg Shuffle today but thinking it will not fit in my case. But after the fact, I took a deeper look and think its going to be too long and interfere with my reservoir/pump placement. And looking online not sure about waterblock support. May just keep trying for an XC3 3080 whenever they popup.

I put in for the 3070 Gaming X Trio on Newegg Shuffle today but thinking it will not fit in my case. But after the fact, I took a deeper look and think its going to be too long and interfere with my reservoir/pump placement. And looking online not sure about waterblock support. May just keep trying for an XC3 3080 whenever they popup.
How do you know when there will be a new Shuffle? Is there a way to be notified?

I mean, it makes sense....Supply and Demand man. Business 101.

If private sellers/scalpers are selling them instantly for a higher price, why should they let those people reap all the profits when they are having supply issues getting them themselves.
I'm curious if the manufactorer raised the price or the retailer

I'm curious if the manufactorer raised the price or the retailer

That would be interesting to know. Hard to say. You would have to ask someone within the supply chain heh.

It worries me a little bit because I definitely have my mind set on getting a 3060ti for $400 or 3070 for $500. I am not looking to spend more than that.

That would be interesting to know. Hard to say. You would have to ask someone within the supply chain heh.

It worries me a little bit because I definitely have my mind set on getting a 3060ti for $400 or 3070 for $500. I am not looking to spend more than that.
You will have to watch Best Buy or Microcenter then. They are mostly still at regular retail. And also both have the Founders edition.

You will have to watch Best Buy or Microcenter then. They are mostly still at regular retail. And also both have the Founders edition.

Oh I have been. They are just never in stock. And according to some sites, the last stock was in the beginning of December for the 3060 ti.

I hate microcenter cause they are an hour away from me and you cant buy online. You gotta show up before anyone and hope youre first in line.

Hah. RogueCast got back to me. I asked them about the price difference.

Hi,

So the price on the first image was the result of a glitch causing the price to display incorrectly. The correct price is $721 per unit. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

Hah! And I just looked again and they've changed the price. They, uh, FIXED THE GLITCH

Attachments

• glitch.jpg
    glitch.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
Oh I have been. They are just never in stock. And according to some sites, the last stock was in the beginning of December for the 3060 ti.

I hate microcenter cause they are an hour away from me and you cant buy online. You gotta show up before anyone and hope youre first in line.
I think you can reserve products on their website

It appears that for these, and few other new items, MC isn't allowing folks to reserve online for in store pickup.
In store pickup. Like I'm going to drive over 400 miles. I don't think so. I may as well pay some scalper's price for a 3060.

And according to some sites, the last stock was in the beginning of December for the 3060 ti.
3060 Ti FE was in stock on Best Buy just last week, saw it with my own eyes, was unable to add it to cars. Intermittent availability for 20min actually.

In store pickup. Like I'm going to drive over 400 miles. I don't think so. I may as well pay some scalper's price for a 3060.
I was thinking once warmer weather gets here, gear up the motorcycle for a ride. Kind of make a trip out of it. XD

I went to MC a few times after the website said they had some 3000 series cards. When I get there they don’t have them anymore. I asked the guy and he said you have to be here every morning waiting in the parking lot. They come out and tell the people they have X amount of cards and they get to buy them first. So if some scalper lives close to a MC then they are there every morning.

I went to MC a few times after the website said they had some 3000 series cards. When I get there they don’t have them anymore. I asked the guy and he said you have to be here every morning waiting in the parking lot. They come out and tell the people they have X amount of cards and they get to buy them first. So if some scalper lives close to a MC then they are there every morning.

Of course man. That is how it has always worked. Lots of people go to microcenter and wait in line for it to open. That is the only way.

Reactions: DBZ33
like this
Some of us work for a living. Standing outside every morning not really something I can do. :(
bro dont be sad. perfect time to find a new hobby, gaming is way overrated. ;) when they make WoW like vr world with active combat system then be sad you cant get the gpu you need. otherwise these games have been done into the ground same boring stuff. even the new doom although good still rehashed stuff with shinier look and prettier sounds.

Some of us work for a living. Standing outside every morning not really something I can do. :(
Yeah, and some of us don't even have a Microcenter within hundreds of miles...
bro dont be sad. perfect time to find a new hobby
Absolutely. I've gone on a bunch of hikes, I've learned to cook new things, I've remodeled a closet from scratch and now I'm finishing the 2nd one... the pandemic gives you time to learn things and useful skills. You have to try to look at the "positive" side of things.

my buddy got there at 5 AM to get his 3080. it's not a bad system tbh, and his local microcenter asks for your e-mail and keeps your cc on file so you can't buy the same type of card within 30 days (buy one 3080, can only buy a 60, 70, or 90).

there's obviously ways around that, but at least they're trying.

yea. i got "lucky" last week and got a 3070 ventus from best buy... was ~$775 after tax. i remember a month ago, 3070's were going for $750 shipped from scalpers.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
1) I'm willing to pay the price the manufacturer has deemed its product to cost, not a penny more. That's not an unreasonable position.
2) I'm not saying I somehow don't understand how demand/supply works, I'm not confused about the stratospheric prices. I'm saying, we shouldn't allow prices to inflate over a certain threshold, as it ceases to be a demand/supply balance and it crosses over into a speculative economy. Imagine this happened with housing: everything triples in cost, suddenly %90 of the population cannot buy or rent a roof to sleep under. How long do you think it'd take until government would take matters into its hands and regulate pricing? The price of any good is not free to skyrocket in "perceived value", capitalism or not, we have limits on many things to keep the market within some boundaries.
3) As a human, having my address and payment method stored in my account with a business, I can buy a product in a matter of seconds. Add to cart > checkout > confirm order, maybe 15 seconds total? If you can't purchase in that limited timeframe, the situation officially becomes superhuman. Realities of possible methods aside, I'm not willing to do a superhuman effort to buy a product. What's more, I'll remember all the stores who have treated me this way and act accordingly with what brands/venues my money goes to (if you didn't establish a queue system to let people buy by ordering and then fulfilling the order, a pretty simple process, my middle finger goes to your business from now on). And meanwhile, I got better things to do while I still can't buy a GPU: look, I remodeled a closet from scratch in the past 2 weeks for a grand total of $150, here's a before/after. I think I'll do another one next month, it's a much more rewarding pastime than obsessing about being or not being able to buy a GPU.
You're just asking for price controls, which lead to shortages. Current MSRPs, despite being quite high compared to historical prices, are still clearly too low based on the total lack of availability we're seeing. If you want to pay MSRP then be prepared to wait until everyone else willing to spend more gets their cards first, or visit a microcenter early in the morning multiple times a week and spend a lot of time in line hoping for a card (lots of opportunity cost there depending on how you value your time).

Btw, we have the same situation in housing as well, and guess what, rent controls are a thing and they lead to housing shortages.

I'm all for preventing collusion between companies to maintain high prices (such as has happened multiple times with RAM manufacturers) but given all that's going on right now it doesn't seem like that's the case here.

Went to Microcenter yesterday and the store was fully packed of scalpers.

Of course they didn't have anything except the rtx 3090 for some $2k according to a rep.

Getting a 3 series card in the Boston Microcenter is like seeing a flying rhino with pig in a top hat riding it. It just ain't happening.

Reactions: DBZ33
like this
You're just asking for price controls, which lead to shortages.
And not having price controls hasn’t lead to shortages???

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree. Having systems that guarantee MSRP is maintained, where everyone signs up to buy a card and you get it when it’s your turn depending on when you signed up, sounds like a much equitable market to me. Either way you’ll have shortages.

Here in Finland it's actually super easy to buy RTX 3070 or RTX 3090. When cheapest available RTX 3070 is 829 € and RTX 3090 is 2199,00 € - it's not exactly a surprise why they don't sell out super quickly. Manufacturers have kept increasing the prices and this is the result.

And not having price controls hasn’t lead to shortages???

I get what you’re saying, but I disagree. Having systems that guarantee MSRP is maintained, where everyone signs up to buy a card and you get it when it’s your turn depending on when you signed up, sounds like a much equitable market to me. Either way you’ll have shortages.
Having price controls + banning skyrise apartments = shortages of "affordable" housing because everyone is going after the same resource. Not having price controls + having apartments means you'll get a city full of cheap apartments that are affordable but unsightly. No price controls + banning of apartments = a lot of people get priced out of the market and go live somewhere else where their income allows them to survive.

Having price controls + banning skyrise apartments = shortages of "affordable" housing because everyone is going after the same resource. Not having price controls + having apartments means you'll get a city full of cheap apartments that are affordable but unsightly. No price controls + banning of apartments = a lot of people get priced out of the market and go live somewhere else where their income allows them to survive.
A) we're talking GPUs, not apartments. Their necessity is quite different. B) In either case, you're ending up with shortages, because whether you control the price or not, people keep wanting the same resource. So why not create a queue where everybody signs up and gets what they want when it's their turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back