Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
just thought i would give my thanks to all of the crypto currency miners using graphical cards. a big thank you for all your wasteful greedy behavior. i get paid in my countries currency not your blackmarket birthed lame anonymous encrypted (oh my its such an amazingly encrypted source code compiled program ooooo) transaction captcha code like bullsh1t blockchain f*ckery. dont care if you guys delete my account from this post, i dont care. ;) i wish your little mining rigs the best and i hope they catch on fire so you can suffer the same fate we are all in at the moment.

And then there were 5...

20210124_mc stock.JPG

Its the perfect storm. Mining boom, people with stimulus money blowing it on electronics instead of food and rent , and every major gpu and console all competing for the same 7nm fab space. Damn shame the only gpus available are gt 1030s or 710s.

It tickles me that people say this. Buying luxury items or services with stimulus money is precisely how stimulus money is intended to be used.

If I am desperate to pay a bill or to eat, then my stimulus money will certainly be used for that purpose... because frankly, I NEED electricity, shelter, food and water to survive. BUT... not everyone is in that particular position. Having less disposable money does not necessarily mean I can't eat or pay my bills, it means I can't spend excess money to buy things. BUYING things keeps businesses in business. Stimulus money is not meant to be bail out money (though many people will use it for that purpose and I shall not fault them for it), it is meant to be EXACTLY what the name implies - it is money meant to be used to STIMULATE THE ECONOMY - i.e. to buy things so businesses stay in business so THEY can keep paying people (jobs) and buying things (commerce). Ya know... STIMULATING THE ECONOMY SO IT DOES NOT COLLAPSE. If everybody hoards their stimulus money, the economy DOES NOT get stimulated and collapses - and all that hoarded money does at that point is buy you a little time.

The products and manufacturing aren't the issue, the abuse of purchasing methods, where you can't even buy a product in 20 seconds is the actual issue.
I think there is possibly some magic thinking here, without bot the distribution of people getting cards/console/anything would change and the story of the people getting them would be a bit different, but the amount of wanted cards not able to get purchased by people that want too buy them would be pretty much the exact same.

. Imagine this happened with housing: everything triples in cost, suddenly %90 of the population cannot buy or rent a roof to sleep under.
Except if we imagine something fantastic of massive sudden immigration (or some cataclysm destroying housing) that more than double the population or empty building, how can 90% of the population cannot buy or rent ? The price cannot go above the situation where almost everyone can and do buy or rent, no ?

It tickles me that people say this. Buying luxury items or services with stimulus money is precisely how stimulus money is intended to be used.
You are %100 correct. For many people, stimulus money will be used to survive. However, millions of people around the country are not on the verge of collapse, but should use up that money anyway - as long as they're being safe and securing some savings too. My stimulus money has been put into getting rid of my old car and buying a new hybrid, injecting that money into the car industry. I'd be happy to contribute to the electronics industry by buying a GPU if I could get my hands on one at all - in fact, I'm considering getting a 3060 Ti instead of a 3060 because the extra $100 are "painless" thanks to the stimulus money (could also go for a 3070, but my PC would end up imbalanced). Anything one buys contributes to the economy, and the government wants us to spend stimulus money on anything that goes back into the economy. I wish more people understood this simple fact. So, while I wait for GPUs, I make sure to order food at least a couple times per week from local restaurants, because I'd like them to still exist after this pandemic is all over. I've also been buying lumber locally to remodel a couple closets, which I probably wouldn't have done in a couple years otherwise. But, the industry needs to keep selling, and I have more time at home than usual, so...

Last edited:
You are %100 correct. For many people, stimulus money will be used to survive. However, millions of people around the country are not on the verge of collapse, but should use up that money anyway - as long as they're being safe and securing some savings too. My stimulus money has been put into getting rid of my old car and buying a new hybrid, injecting that money into the car industry. I'd be happy to contribute to the electronics industry by buying a GPU if I could get my hands on one at all - in fact, I'm considering getting a 3060 Ti instead of a 3060 because the extra $100 are "painless" thanks to the stimulus money (could also go for a 3070, but my PC would end up imbalanced). Anything one buys contributes to the economy, and the government wants us to spend stimulus money on anything that goes back into the economy. I wish more people understood this simple fact. So, while I wait for GPUs, I make sure to order food at least a couple times per week from local restaurants, because I'd like them to still exist after this pandemic is all over. I've also been buying lumber locally to remodel a couple closets, which I probably wouldn't have done in a couple years otherwise. But, the industry needs to keep selling, and I have more time at home than usual, so...

Absolutely right. For many, stimulus money will go towards things like rent/food, but for others not on the edge like that, it will go towards stimulating the economy which can only happen if money is spent on such goods.

every major gpu and console all competing for the same 7nm fab space.
Not really true. RTX 30xx is manufactured on Samsung 8nm, which is more similar to their 10nm than TSMC 7nm.

I would say the main driving force is the general PC boom (which would be heavily influenced by covid isolating). The 30xx cards were really hard to find even before bitcoin prices surged in November. Now that crypto has surged, it obviously adds more to the problem. Note that this time around, Radeon GPU's fare much worse in mining than Nvidia GPU's.

Last edited:
Not really true. RTX 30xx is manufactured on Samsung 8nm, which is more similar to their 10nm than TSMC 7nm.

I would say the main driving force is the general PC boom (which would be heavily influenced by covid isolating). The 30xx cards were really hard to find even before bitcoin prices surged in November. Now that crypto has surged, it obviously adds more to the problem. Note that this time around, Radeon GPU's fare much worse in mining than Nvidia GPU's.
Now it really pisses me off that I didn't buy an AMD 5000 series GPU back in May or June, when I was buying the parts for my new rig. I was going to use an AMD GPU until I read all the the threads about AMD driver issues. Now I'm really pissed at myself. I could have bought a card at MSRP back then. What a schmuck I was. By now AMD would have fixed the driver issues and/or I would have found workarounds. And I wouldn't be suffering with my ancient 660 Ti.

Now it really pisses me off that I didn't buy an AMD 5000 series GPU back in May or June, when I was buying the parts for my new rig. I was going to use an AMD GPU until I read all the the threads about AMD driver issues. Now I'm really pissed at myself. I could have bought a card at MSRP back then. What a schmuck I was. By now AMD would have fixed the driver issues and/or I would have found workarounds. And I wouldn't be suffering with my ancient 660 Ti.
I mean if we want to talk about low points.

So many people sold their RTX 20xx cards because when the RTX 30xx card specs were leaked, everyone knew it was a massive performance jump for the money (e.g. the $499 RTX 3070 ~= $1299 RTX 2080 Ti). Plenty of RTX 2070's were fetching low 300s. RTX 2080 Ti's were being sold for $500-600. Radeon RX 5700/XT were high 200s/low 300s.

Just sold my 1080ti for $530. Bought for $280. Things are nuts right now. When people suggest waiting, I say buy the first card you see in store.

Yeah, the people panic selling their 2080 Tis brought a world of hurt onto themselves.
Glad I waited a bit and did an even exchange more or less, 2080 ti sold for 725 and a 3080 bought for 800. Had I known that GPUs would be such an appreciating asset though...

If my 3070 does end up arriving, wonder if I should cash in on my 1060. haha

Then again, something happens to my 3070 I'm pooched.

If my 3070 does end up arriving, wonder if I should cash in on my 1060. haha
Definitely. 6GB GTX 1060 can still mine. I would also sell any Polaris 8GB cards if you're not using them.

I actually have Vega 64 that I should sell now, but I like to collect stuff :(

Definitely. 6GB GTX 1060 can still mine. I would also sell any Polaris 8GB cards if you're not using them.

I actually have Vega 64 that I should sell now, but I like to collect stuff :(
The only hang up being something happens to the 3070 and I have to send it back or something.

I have a HD 4850. There is a DVI, an hdmi, a dp port and even a VGA. It's not that bad... who wants it for ... starting at 200$ ? :LOL:

Frankly, all this made me ask if a Threaripper as for a 3970 or a Ryzen 5950 + a CPU 3D driver combined with a 710 wouldn't be ok. I am quite sure there is a way around this on Linux.

Everything from the 1660 super, to the 5900xt, to the 2070 super, 3070, 3080, 3090....

All gone.

Any that are showing a few in stock are 3rd party stores selling 40% to 100% over MSRP.

2060 cards are going for $500... ?!?

So, there's not enough of ANYTHING for ANYONE now? It's just, "Sorry everyone, covid year and all, no holiday inventory of anything... see you next year."

Wow.

Start playing factorio or wow. By the time you're done cards will be in stock.

Just snagged a second 6800XT - another Asus LC Strix. Will be likely listing it in the FS/FT forum for what I paid plus shipping, or my older 5700XT Red Devil. Discord servers and fast fingers.

Newegg has been showing the Powercolor Red Dragon 6800xt in stock for at least the last 10 minutes but it's over $1100(from newegg) and not even the Red Devil model. I'm desperate but not that desperate.

Edit: And now it's out of stock again, lol.

Newegg has been showing the Powercolor Red Dragon 6800xt in stock for at least the last 10 minutes but it's over $1100(from newegg) and not even the Red Devil model. I'm desperate but not that desperate.

Edit: And now it's out of stock again, lol.
Tariffs are killing things - and general price increases. It's nuts right now.

And boards are getting hard to find again (motherboards) - spent 3 days looking for an x299 board.

Tariffs are killing things - and general price increases. It's nuts right now.

And boards are getting hard to find again (motherboards) - spent 3 days looking for an x299 board.
Yeah I realize that and if it was one of the other models I would have likely bit even though they're all ridiculous right now but that's one of the least desirable models and it's more expensive than the recently inflated price on the ROG Strix LC model.

The main reason I commented was that I was surprised it was showing in stock for so long, it's the first 6800xt I've seen in stock for more than a few seconds.

Yeah I realize that and if it was one of the other models I would have likely bit even though they're all ridiculous right now but that's one of the least desirable models and it's more expensive than the recently inflated price on the ROG Strix LC model.

The main reason I commented was that I was surprised it was showing in stock for so long, it's the first 6800xt I've seen in stock for more than a few seconds.
I sat staring at the LC I bought today for about 5 minutes - which was weird. But it was also on newegg business.

ATR_Stonks. Gotten a 3080, 2x 6800XT, and had a 5950 sitting in the cart (just couldn't justify it).
Been on there and Stock Drops and the second something goes up you click and its gone. I don't see the point anymore. Been clicking so many 3080 Strix links when they go up and nothing.

Been on there and Stock Drops and the second something goes up you click and its gone. I don't see the point anymore. Been clicking so many 3080 Strix links when they go up and nothing.
Stop being picky. You have to take what you get. If you want a particular card, buy from eBay and pay the scalper price. Strix is hard to get. Gigabyte is easier, so are several of the others.

Stop being picky. You have to take what you get. If you want a particular card, buy from eBay and pay the scalper price. Strix is hard to get. Gigabyte is easier, so are several of the others.
Watercool system, so do need to be somewhat picky as I need something that has available waterblocks.

Last edited:
Newegg just dropped a few 3070, 80, and 90's. No luck again
probably fake drops. i feel like they are all doing it so we will cave and buy last year's hardware. all couped up and buying every last piece of tech. plandemic is not sounding so conspiracy like anymore...

Watercool system, so do need to be somewhat picky as I need something that has available waterblocks.
Trick is - get ANY 3080, and trade for the one you want. I got the Gigabyte vision, traded for an XC3 which has blocks. Problem solved. Once you get one, you're good to go - lots of folks on here don't care about a specific brand and will gladly trade to help out another member.
No. Bullshit.
Never pay a scalper. That is part of the problem we’re in. Nobody pays scalpers = there will be no more scalping.
I can't fix that. All I can do is tell you how to get cards right now; fixing the world is beyond my control. As much as I hate scalpers, they're a fact of life right now, and that's a much grayer question in some ways than we like to admit.

Getting cards is annoying right now, but possible. Getting a ~specific card~ however, well... good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back