Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes... but also no. I can work with this computer for another year, sure. But I'd rather not extend my 1060 into a 5th year, and have to run games at 900p or 720p. Doable, but... eh.
Well it depends on how old your computer is. My main rig was just about the top-of-the-line 3 years ago and still pretty capable today.

I mean, I could use a little more CPU power for development, but otherwise I can probably hold out for another year or two if things don't get better.

GT 1030 is out of stock nearly everywhere, so only choice si GT 710, before GT 1010 is on sale. Everything else is sold in minutes after stocks appear. No time to lose on this. Already lost too much time to get a chance for my parents to have the vaccines.

I haven't be interested in a new console since the PS2.
Well it depends on how old your computer is.
I totally get that, and I certainly remain a PC user first. For a mid-tier computer from a couple year ago, though the consoles' value proposition is certainly there:

My PC
6 Zen 1 cores
1060 3GB
16GB RAM
2TB SSD - both NVME and SATA

PS5
8 Zen 2 cores
~3060 equivalent
16GB RAM
1TB SSD NVME

Updating my CPU and GPU to equal a PS5 would cost me ~ 600 at MSRP. The whole PS5 on its own is already cheaper. I'm still not too interested, but the value is certainly there for the next 12 months, as usual in the 1st year of a new console generation. After that, PC will handily take over once again.

That said, I'm not considering consoles, I'm waiting for a 3060 or 6700; but I do understand why many would drift toward consoles for the next 12-24 months.

the consoles' value proposition is certainly there:

Yeah, except for the part where you then have to build a new games library. That should immediately kill any potential value for anyone that has more than a handful of PC games that they play on a regular basis. "Upgrading" to a console only makes sense if it's your first foray into games and you have no established foothold in the PC environment.

Yeah, except for the part where you then have to build a new games library.
Looks at Steam profile...

1611189667063.png

OK, good point :)

Yeah, except for the part where you then have to build a new games library. That should immediately kill any potential value for anyone that has more than a handful of PC games that they play on a regular basis. "Upgrading" to a console only makes sense if it's your first foray into games and you have no established foothold in the PC environment.
And that's assuming that all the games you played on PC are even available on console, too. Entire genres like RTSs, flight sims and MMORPGs are slim pickings at best, and even for more mainstream stuff like FPSs, you sure as hell aren't gonna find something like ArmA 3 or Escape from Tarkov on console.

Multiplats also tend to be far better on PC... unless the developer really screwed up the port and/or withheld content for a console version. That last point tends to be VR stuff that most gaming PCs could handle easily, but is limited to PSVR because of Sony funding, which is downright frustrating as a Valve Index owner.

Then there's just the matter of exclusive games in general. Killer apps sell consoles - Sony and Nintendo know this all too well. Microsoft unexpectedly relented by making their "exclusives" shared across Xbox and Windows in recent years.

I don't need a card anymore (yay!), but I still check the site for fun sometimes... my store seems to luck out 2~3 times a week with drops. Usually only a day or 2 goes by before I see 30 series GPUs again.

1611235819913.png

GT 1030 is out of stock nearly everywhere, so only choice si GT 710, before GT 1010 is on sale. Everything else is sold in minutes after stocks appear. No time to lose on this. Already lost too much time to get a chance for my parents to have the vaccines.

how about a 1050ti?

1611237417443.png

All my hobbies are like this.

No projectiles or powders for reloading.

The r/c market is wishy washy.

PC market has zero GPUs.

Apparently PS5s are impossible to get.

Sucks.

those 7750's at MC are so expensive because they're digital signage cards with an unusual number of miniDisplayPort connectors. They've been that price since long before the Great GPU Shortage.

I don't need a card anymore (yay!), but I still check the site for fun sometimes... my store seems to luck out 2~3 times a week with drops. Usually only a day or 2 goes by before I see 30 series GPUs again.

View attachment 321083
Wow definitely not the case here. They had some Strix 3080 earlier this week and that was the first 30-series I had seen listed in a few weeks. Previous was a single 3070 if I recall.

At best right now they'll throw up a 1660 Ti/Super or 5700 XT on occasion.

those 7750's at MC are so expensive because they're digital signage cards with an unusual number of miniDisplayPort connectors. They've been that price since long before the Great GPU Shortage.
And just because it’s old doesn’t mean it costs significantly less to produce.

I know right? I was like I'll get a 3080 or a 6800XT in the new year.....

So... short story. I could have gotten the ultra ftw 3080 the week after release. Decided I didn't want to spend 859 dollars on a 3080.

Spent 900 dollars on a 3080 a week ago same card...... :ROFLMAO:

I'm just posting this because it just actually made me gasp out loud:

1611413263007.png

Honestly, we're beyond demand/supply now. How selling a product at nearly %300 of its MSRP is anywhere within the realm of legality, I do not understand. And if it is, how lawmakers allow this to happen is even more unacceptable. Please don't give me the usual bullsh*t about capitalism - this is not a free market, it is a market held hostage. If a product is valued at X amount of dollars, you should be allowed a margin of profit, but certainly nothing even close to resembling %300. What'd be next, $20 simple on/off light bulbs? $30 yogurt? $50 milk? And before anyone says "those are basic necessities", they're not - sun gives you light, and you can survive without yogurt and milk. Buy f*cking potatoes - though they'll probably also cost $10 each.
/rant

View attachment 321824

Honestly, we're beyond demand/supply now. How selling a product at nearly %300 of its MSRP is anywhere within the realm of legality, I do not understand. And if it is, how lawmakers allow this to happen is even more unacceptable. Please don't give me the usual bullsh*t about capitalism - this is not a free market, it is a market held hostage. If a product is valued at X amount of dollars, you should be allowed a margin of profit, but certainly nothing even close to resembling %300. What'd be next, $20 simple on/off light bulbs? $30 yogurt? $50 milk? And before anyone says "those are basic necessities", they're not - sun gives you light, and you can survive without yogurt and milk. Buy f*cking potatoes - though they'll probably also cost $10 each.
/rant
Slava computer is an ebay account from Isreal, I would not assume they paid MSRP for it or that commanding from the USA computer part from a small Israelis "shops" (that also sell perfume) without even an website would work using USA msrp.

It does look very similar to buying from a oversea scalper on ebay.

Has for the basic necessities, I work for an extremely small company that developed a niche 3dCAD products (without special access or special money) and my 1060GT stopped working, our product is made to run for non-tech clients laptop in mind and do not require too recent of a GPU or powerful to be able to work but I could easily imagine scenarios of small dev that do for who it is quite the added cost/burden right now when video cards break down or get new employees. It is not just for gaming those GPUs, people use gaming type of card for work usage since the 90s. That said if you limit price up that would make it even harder for those people to get cards, not easier and that why it is an issue for little answer.

The more luxury the item is for someone the less ready to buy they would normally be so the people for who it matter more, the fact it is possible to buy an at high price it make it possible for them to get them (so right now it is a mix of miners, pro-user and rich gamers)

View attachment 321824

/rant
Lawmakers have no control over this. If they outlaw scalping they'll drive the market underground and you'll see even higher prices on ebay and craigslist. This is simple supply and demand. A product is valued at what people are willing to pay for it, and clearly there is way more demand than there is supply right now so people are willing to pay more than normal. In normal times this would be an outrageous price, but times aren't normal and everyone in the world is stuck at home wanting to play video games apparently.

If they outlaw scalping they'll drive the market underground and you'll see even higher prices on ebay and craigslist.
If scalping were outlawed (and it is for certain products, so no reason to not do the same with electronics) you would never see higher prices on ebay/craiglist - if it's underground, it'd go to the dark web, not to publicly and easily accessible sites. I'd much rather products be out of stock than sold at insane prices. Many argue about the capitalist market functioning this way as a plus, I'd say when your consumers can't buy your products, that market has utterly failed. The products and manufacturing aren't the issue, the abuse of purchasing methods, where you can't even buy a product in 20 seconds is the actual issue. Prices should be dictated by the market to a point, within reason. Bots should be outlawed. The worse right now - online stores could combat this by adding steps, queues, and other ways to mitigate bot abuses, but they are choosing not to. Once this is over, I'll take their 0 interest in my consumer experience accordingly.

All my hobbies are like this.

No projectiles or powders for reloading.

The r/c market is wishy washy.

PC market has zero GPUs.

Apparently PS5s are impossible to get.

Sucks.

You forgot primers as well. I could cast if I really want my own projectiles and even make my own powder if I REALLY want to try. Can't do primers though.

PC market on just about anything right now is crazy. I did get a couple of Xbox Series X units for myself and a few PS5s now as well. Originally got the digital edition that I didn't want but gave to nephews as an Xmas gift. They loved it. Managed to snag two of the disc ones this week from the latest drop release. One from Walmart and the other from Gamestop. Still trying to score a 3080/3090 or 6800xt/6900xt for myself. I have a 5950x I already fully paid for but is on backorder from B&H photo that I am waiting on still. No idea when that is coming though. Last estimate they just sent out an email on was for July before AMD starts giving stock on 5950x chips back to retailers.

Lawmakers have no control over this. If they outlaw scalping they'll drive the market underground and you'll see even higher prices on ebay and craigslist. This is simple supply and demand. A product is valued at what people are willing to pay for it, and clearly there is way more demand than there is supply right now so people are willing to pay more than normal. In normal times this would be an outrageous price, but times aren't normal and everyone in the world is stuck at home wanting to play video games apparently.
Sure, but Nvidia and AMD have some responsibility for this situation. Maybe that means we should all buy Intel GPUs if they launch anytime soon. With this duopoly, I so hope Intel gets into this market. And I'm NOT an Intel fanboy. I'm rocking an AMD 3900X in my new build.

There is one easy way to solve scalping. Add $1000 to the price with a $1000 mail in rebate. One rebate per account. No laws needed. Scalping would end over night.

The retailers could also force you to "verify" your account with a government ID. They do this for financial services like CoinBase.

Wouldn't stop people from buying from multiple retailers but it would stop, say, 1 bot from cleaning out BestBuy in 2 seconds.

Sure, but Nvidia and AMD have some responsibility for this situation. Maybe that means we should all buy Intel GPUs if they launch anytime soon. With this duopoly, I so hope Intel gets into this market. And I'm NOT an Intel fanboy. I'm rocking an AMD 3900X in my new build.
What can they do? Do you really think they're holding back? You can be sure if they could sell more they would. It's simply demand is way too great for what the supply chain can... supply. It's happening in other segments as well.

If scalping were outlawed (and it is for certain products, so no reason to not do the same with electronics) you would never see higher prices on ebay/craiglist - if it's underground, it'd go to the dark web, not to publicly and easily accessible sites. I'd much rather products be out of stock than sold at insane prices. Many argue about the capitalist market functioning this way as a plus, I'd say when your consumers can't buy your products, that market has utterly failed. The products and manufacturing aren't the issue, the abuse of purchasing methods, where you can't even buy a product in 20 seconds is the actual issue. Prices should be dictated by the market to a point, within reason. Bots should be outlawed. The worse right now - online stores could combat this by adding steps, queues, and other ways to mitigate bot abuses, but they are choosing not to. Once this is over, I'll take their 0 interest in my consumer experience accordingly.

Have you ever thought about this logically? Everyone and their mother right now is trying to buy products from TSMC. Just about every model of graphics card has been available, but not at the price you're willing to pay. When the MSRP is set too low, it's effectively the same thing as a price control. If the price control is set too low, then you effectively have a shortage of items because there are more people willing to pay a higher price and you run out of inventory. You can certainly argue that AMD and nVdia set their MSRP prices too low (even though they're pretty high by historical comparisons), but the bottom line is that there are more people trying to buy these cards than cards are available and that drives up prices. If you want to spend $1500 for a 6900xt or $2000 for a 3090 then you should have no problem finding one. That's the market at work, and that's the true value of these cards, despite what we want. It's a shitty situation, but outlawing bots isn't really going to change it at all.

Face it. AMD, Apple, automobile manufacturers, Sony, Microsoft etc. are all competing for TSMC's fabs. In the best of times this was going to be a tight situation, but we're in the worst of times. None of this changes the capacity that TSMC has, and no one would've predicted coronavirus and its effects on supply chains. And even though everyone sees the effects its having, they all basically think it's a temporary surge in demand and thus won't plan to expand capacity to meet this surge long-term. And even if TSMC wanted to meet this demand, cutting edge fabs don't get built overnight. You can already see automobile manufacturers idling their plants due to a lack of chips because they thought demand would stay low for longer than it has. Now they're pressuring Taiwanese politicians to prioritize their chips over "luxury" items like GPUs.

Anyway, have you looked at bots recently? If you can do something as a human, you can train a bot to do the same thing. And even if a website somehow manages to find a way to thwart all bots, it's very easy and cheap to hire people from China, India, etc. to click a button for you at low wages. So if something is selling at $1000 and its market value is $1500, there's always going to be a way to scalp it and resell it for its actual value.

What we need is our own botnet. We buy up all the cards, then sell at MSRP to people on the forum with 5 year membership or 1,000 posts or whatever.

Just about every model of graphics card has been available, but not at the price you're willing to pay.
*snip*
And even though everyone sees the effects its having, they all basically think it's a temporary surge in demand and thus won't plan to expand capacity to meet this surge long-term.
*snip*
Anyway, have you looked at bots recently? If you can do something as a human, you can train a bot to do the same thing.
1) I'm willing to pay the price the manufacturer has deemed its product to cost, not a penny more. That's not an unreasonable position.
2) I'm not saying I somehow don't understand how demand/supply works, I'm not confused about the stratospheric prices. I'm saying, we shouldn't allow prices to inflate over a certain threshold, as it ceases to be a demand/supply balance and it crosses over into a speculative economy. Imagine this happened with housing: everything triples in cost, suddenly %90 of the population cannot buy or rent a roof to sleep under. How long do you think it'd take until government would take matters into its hands and regulate pricing? The price of any good is not free to skyrocket in "perceived value", capitalism or not, we have limits on many things to keep the market within some boundaries.
3) As a human, having my address and payment method stored in my account with a business, I can buy a product in a matter of seconds. Add to cart > checkout > confirm order, maybe 15 seconds total? If you can't purchase in that limited timeframe, the situation officially becomes superhuman. Realities of possible methods aside, I'm not willing to do a superhuman effort to buy a product. What's more, I'll remember all the stores who have treated me this way and act accordingly with what brands/venues my money goes to (if you didn't establish a queue system to let people buy by ordering and then fulfilling the order, a pretty simple process, my middle finger goes to your business from now on). And meanwhile, I got better things to do while I still can't buy a GPU: look, I remodeled a closet from scratch in the past 2 weeks for a grand total of $150, here's a before/after. I think I'll do another one next month, it's a much more rewarding pastime than obsessing about being or not being able to buy a GPU.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited:
Its the perfect storm. Mining boom, people with stimulus money blowing it on electronics instead of food and rent , and every major gpu and console all competing for the same 7nm fab space. Damn shame the only gpus available are gt 1030s or 710s.

Its the perfect storm. Mining boom, people with stimulus money blowing it on electronics instead of food and rent , and every major gpu and console all competing for the same 7nm fab space. Damn shame the only gpus available are gt 1030s or 710s.

Do people really choose GPU over food or rent? Damn, that's [H]ard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back