Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intels been rumoring to have competitive GPUs just around the corner for what... a decade? They’ve got nothing but hot air in the GPU space.

Don't cry all.. you can still get a GT 710
You could even upgrade to a 1030!!! :D

1609949394358.png

Unreal... i don't recall, but were RX 570 (8gb varieties) sub $200 .. maybe even lower when released.. sub-$179 or possibly lower..

These just went up $20 from yesterday

1609955034678.png

Never seen a mining rig(?) configured this way, several PC mainboards underneath? How hot is it in that room...
When I had about 60 cards mining in a small room in the basement the floor of the room above it got so hot that my wife asked me if it was going to start a fire. When I worked in that room on a new project, I kid you not, I had to strip down to my underwear and had sweat literally dripping down my body and off my face. Our house AC had no chance of cooling that in the summer. I had the cards power limited to 70% with MSI afterburner. The HVAC system was immediately next to my mining equipment and open to the same air. To keep everything operating I set the HVAC fan to turn on every 30 minutes for 30 minutes. That helped spread the heat through the house.
In the winter, I left a window open in the basement to help offset the heat unless it dropped below freezing.

SO yeah - those 3080's are putting off a crap ton of heat. Figure 200 watts per card undervolted. That's like 80 little 250 watt spaceheaters.

Last edited:
Let's be honest here, they do not need to give a damn either. If you want to game on a PC with decent graphics, you are going to buy one of thier cards (assuming you can find one) whether you like them or not. Otherwise; you will end up on a console; which guess what, still uses GPUs....

It sucks; but that is the state of things. I was pissed as hell it took me 4 months to get a card, but guess what, I still bought one because I love high end gaming.
Gaming is a hobby and most people have multiple hobbies that they can spend the money on and then if their pc gets outdated they stop buying newer games which lowers their interest in gaming even more and they slowly transition into focusing mostly on the other hobby.

I'm not speaking in a hypothetical sense either, I know a couple people that have basically stopped spending money on pc games and hardware and are instead spending the money that they would have on racing drones for one and fishing gear and guns for the other. Both of them got tired of high prices and poor availability of GPUs during the height of the crypto nonsense and still haven't upgraded anything since then.

Gaming is a hobby and most people have multiple hobbies that they can spend the money on and then if their pc gets outdated they stop buying newer games which lowers their interest in gaming even more and they slowly transition into focusing mostly on the other hobby.

I'm not speaking in a hypothetical sense either, I know a couple people that have basically stopped spending money on pc games and hardware and are instead spending the money that they would have on racing drones for one and fishing gear and guns for the other. Both of them got tired of high prices and poor availability of GPUs during the height of the crypto nonsense and still haven't upgraded anything since then.
I had to lean more toward PC after ammo prices spiked... haha. :LOL:

I can relate 100%. Well not now but has happened to me a couple times in the past.

Any drops expected tomorrow at Micro Center?
Will be in the area of one in the afternoon

Unreal... i don't recall, but were RX 570 (8gb varieties) sub $200 .. maybe even lower when released.. sub-$179 or possibly lower..

These just went up $20 from yesterday

View attachment 316455
I bought a Power Color Red Dragon RX 570 8Gb with two free AAA games on Black Friday for $149 in 2018 .. still have the card and games .

Also have two more 4Gb RX 570 's

I admit I have started to think this as well. The current world situation has been going on since March. Considering the months long process to manufacture and ship these things, I could see lack of availability September through December. But at this point? There is no way manufacturers and shippers haven’t figured out ways to work more around obstacles, despite new constraints. I teach at a big state university and I can tell you that while spring was a sh*tshow, fall was hard but we figured most processes out, and on this 2021 spring semester that just started we got things on lock until normality returns with the vaccine. If a bunch of academics can figure it out, you’re telling me that some of the best engineers in the world can’t? (I don’t mean YOU you,but a rhetorical you).

Yeah, I’m not buying it anymore. COVID isn’t a magical explanation for everything. Crypto is a factor, but not enough to dry up virtually all demand. Enough to raise prices and make things hard to buy? Sure. To completely disintegrate availability? No way. Why are such few cards shipping to stores in the first place? Nvidia’s recent earnings I read about pointed to a bunch of sold gpus. Where are the products to buy? They can’t all be snatched by miners, and considering the enthusiasts we hear from here, it ain’t - majority of gamers either. And if it were the case, where are the consumer protection laws? Because scalping is far from respecting capitalistic demand and offer.
So what's the answer? Or even a way to find out the truth? Congressional investigation? Just kidding. Maybe it is the scalpers, who are now making a pile of money selling to the miners?

So what's the answer? Or even a way to find out the truth? Congressional investigation? Just kidding. Maybe it is the scalpers, who are now making a pile of money selling to the miners?
I honestly don't know. But if this spring we start seeing "normal" availability of the new 60, 70 and 80 cards, that'll tell me that Nvidia got caught off guard with AMD's releases and they're slyly downplaying the current card production to be fully taken over by the new refreshed models, before the actual 2021 Super refresh happens.

I honestly don't know. But if this spring we start seeing "normal" availability of the new 60, 70 and 80 cards, that'll tell me that Nvidia got caught off guard with AMD's releases and they're slyly downplaying the current card production to be fully taken over by the new refreshed models, before the actual 2021 Super refresh happens.
We could be at "normal" production levels but with the crypto craze spiking back up and the backlog of demand still not extinguished it's still not enough.

We could be at "normal" production levels but with the crypto craze spiking back up and the backlog of demand still not extinguished it's still not enough.
Well of course it won't be enough. But crypto isn't the only reason why we're facing absolute dried supply. This crypto craze has given no indication of being any worse than the last one, and last time you could buy more cards, pretty regularly. Now there's just nothing to buy, most of the time. So normal production levels, if we achieve them, would give thousands of gamers a chance to buy something at close to MSRP. Sure it'll still be challenging, but crypto pressure is better than whatever has been going on for the past few months.

It might also mean that Samsung is getting better yields though I wouldn't downplay NV wanting to sell higher margin products. Just normal business from what I can tell. Every public company wants to maximize profit for stockholders.

Hate the game if you want, but the other kinds of games out there are worse.

Well of course it won't be enough. But crypto isn't the only reason why we're facing absolute dried supply. This crypto craze has given no indication of being any worse than the last one, and last time you could buy more cards, pretty regularly. Now there's just nothing to buy, most of the time. So normal production levels, if we achieve them, would give thousands of gamers a chance to buy something at close to MSRP. Sure it'll still be challenging, but crypto pressure is better than whatever has been going on for the past few months.
Well I mentioned we have not even extinguished the demand backlog yet. We need higher than normal supply was my point just to do that.

I think it's crypto.

I just looked at Amazon, Newegg, B&H, Antonline, Wal-mart, and a google search. I wanted to buy something inexpensive and low form factor for the I7 7700 based Shuttle PC upstairs for my girls to play Jurrassic World Park sim on.
There's wasn't jack - anywhere. Everything was sparse and marked, up, or not in stock all the way back to nvidia 8400GS, and 710/730 - those cards are close to a decade old at this point. Basically it looks like anything and everything that could be used to mine crypto is sold out. If it was only the newest stuff out of stock you might be able to point the finger at gamer demand - but even all the older cards are gone. What gamers are buying old cards to the point of bare shelfs at every retailer? Gamers already have old cards and you only need one card for gaming. That points to crypto buyers to me. Since Crypto mining now takes >= 4GB VRAM to mine ETH, I suspect about the only thing you'll find sticking to reasonable prices is cards with 2GB or less of VRAM - at least until the crypto swell breaks cycle again.

I find it fascinating.

Last edited:
Don't assume that America or other Western nations are the first on the list.
Instead of shipping these cards to the USA, perhaps it's cheaper and more convenient to sell them in the nearby Asian markets.

I don't think I've ever seen a graphics card market this barren before... seriously, Micro Center Marietta and Duluth are getting screwed pretty hard on stock for anything remotely desirable. It's as if people are camping there every restock night, and they have only 15 to 25 cards in stock each!

You can buy CPUs, you can buy RAM, you can buy SSDs, you can buy monitors, racing wheels, shifters and pedals, gamepads, all sorts of other stuff... but god help you if you want a GPU that isn't absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel, because your only shot at getting one is if it's part of a pre-built computer!

Sometimes I wonder if last year was a bad time to buy a Valve Index in hindsight. I'm happy to have one, but the GPUs to drive it properly are unobtanium right now!

This is a result of just in time manufacturing coupled with COVID supply chain disruptions.

Yes, AMD and Nvidia absolutely have enough money to procure enough parts to produce these gpus in necessary quantities. But, there are real business reasons why they are not doing so.

Companies do not purposely keep excess inventory on hand (including parts manufacturers). There are many benefits from turning your inventory quickly and often as opposed to sitting on inventory "just in case," even in the best of times. When COVID first hit, most companies (including the one I work for) were faced with massive uncertainty. Some of our planning sessions ended with people credibly believing that we would have mass unemployment, no government aid (due to the divided congress at the time), and a huge market and economic crash. If that happened, the LAST thing we wanted to do was be stuck holding expensive luxury electronics inventory that consumers couldn't afford to buy but we still had to pay for. We approached this year extremely cautiously from an inventory standpoint. I am assuming Nvidia and AMD did as well, since practically every single other company in electronics did. Additionally, parts manufacturers reduced their forecasts.

How it actually played out - like the fed keeping interest rates low, the stimulus, and the markets doing ok were nice but not guaranteed - this kept consumer spending up to a degree that exceeded our expectations. So with a smaller than expected drop in demand for luxury electronics, consumer demand outstripped our forecast inventory (and parts in a normal, non-COVID world are typically 12-20 weeks out). Then on top of that, supply chain disruptions then led to longer than expected lead times, which started a snowball of pent up demand -> companies placing increased parts orders -> longer lead time -> panic buying parts -> longer lead time.

I can't get parts for my products fast enough from suppliers I have agreements with. I can't just go drop cash and buy them in Shenzen on the grey market because that's not how companies work - you leverage terms (net 30 or 60) and leverage the incredible negotiated discounts you get with your long term suppliers. AMD and Nvidia are no different, but in a way they are even more locked into existing suppliers due to the increased negotiating leverage they have. With the volume of parts they order, they have contracts in place with their suppliers for insane discounts. Just because you "can" find parts from other distributors, they are not going to procure them at a 300x price markup to get unprofitable GPUs into your hands. They are going to stick with buying from the suppliers they have volume discounts and terms with, because that is what they built their business model around them.

And if their suppliers can't supply parts fast enough to meet demand, that's just fine with AMD and Nvidia - it's way more profitable to be out of stock than it is to purchase components from alternate suppliers at a markup that wipes out your margins.

Things will be back to normal eventually. But the way that electronics manufacturing works in a just-in-time global economy is that it takes months and months to catch up.

Well, time to rig up some quadocto SLI with gtx1030😎💣💥
Well I ran out of slots to put graphics cards in except for TR system which I just got working again. Not too keen on using that system for mining. I thought I lost out in not selling my older cards, now they are turning into gold dust.

Don't assume that America or other Western nations are the first on the list.
Instead of shipping these cards to the USA, perhaps it's cheaper and more convenient to sell them in the nearby Asian markets.
OK, then it would be time to find a web store in Hong Kong ,Tokyo ,Singapore , or Seoul, if the site has content in English.

Funny think about all cards being OOS.. it's forced me to stop being lazy and optimize my current setup. Probably saved me some $$$ if I can fend off the upgradeitis.

I cranked up my CPU, memory and 1080ti OC's and did more adjustments to visual settings in games like BF5.

I can probably easily hold off for some time now unless there is a new game release that I cannot play at decent settings. This "old" SLI setup still has some teeth.

I game at 1440p and my 2070s is doing the job no problem. I am literally just waiting on evga to send me my step up email. That's pretty much it. The amount of effort to nab a 3 series gpu is totally not worth the board. Like no thanks to that shit.

^^ Running 7680x1440 forces me to have enough GPU horsepower to play at decent settings. I'm not moving over to 4k for some time unless prices drop substantially. I'm also in line for EVGA... I've stopped shopping. If I do not get a notice from them before their April placeholder prices evaporate I'll just sit it out and see what the new Ti's or superdooper cards do to the market.

Funny think about all cards being OOS.. it's forced me to stop being lazy and optimize my current setup. Probably saved me some $$$ if I can fend off the upgradeitis.

I cranked up my CPU, memory and 1080ti OC's and did more adjustments to visual settings in games like BF5.

I can probably easily hold off for some time now unless there is a new game release that I cannot play at decent settings. This "old" SLI setup still has some teeth.
Stretching the legs on your 1080ti by an O/C is not an 85% FPS improvement like moving to a 3080.

I have 80 hours in cyberpunk. The first 30-40 hours were with a 1080ti optimized as much as I could make it with a mixture of medium and high settings at 3440x1440 at 30-40FPS.

I got a 3080 and cranked everything to max including RTX and get 60FPS. No amount of optimization on the 1080ti was going to make Cyberpunk as enjoyable as the 3080. That being said Cyberpunk is the only game I’ve played were 1080ti was insufficient. So moral of the story — don’t play it unless you want to reignite the fire to upgrade hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back