Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
welp. I'm going to venture because I'm not botting I missed it.

oh well. next couple months maybe.

I am watching a discord with bots, but that only took me to the link. I did open a new window in order to ensure I was logged into BB so when the bar actually turned yellow all my data was there. Not sure. I am not sure if there are anymore, but can try to get another.

Anyone else nervous as hell about their GPU crapping out on them right now? I had a slight flicker in my screen last night for about a minute. I thought for sure something bad was about to happen. XD
Yes. I already had to replace a GTX 970 in the house right before the run on 16-series cards happened. It had started artifacting in some situations and crashing to a black screen on others. Worked on drivers and determined it was the card. Was able to easily snag a 1660 for fairly cheap at MC with the idea of getting a 30-series card sometime this year.

In my system, my GTX 980 is still ok, and I did some maintenance on it back in September. But I am extremely nervous about this all to the point I am looking at how much various cards are scalping for on Facebook, craigslist, eBay...not even necessarily current gen in case it does crap out. At this point my old emergency card is just that...old.

At this point, months after launch, the idea that chip leaders cannot meet demand if just very distressing and ridiculous. You mean to tell me in 4 months they couldn't figure out COVID workarounds? What's really going on? Oh there's the miners too. Do they realize there are literally NO cards at all to buy. Current gen or otherwise. And it's been like that for weeks now.

Last edited:
Well, I just had a great phone call. Some miner called asking if I wanted to buy 20 EVGA Gold power supplies off them... because they had to buy combos to get the cards.

Geeeeeeeee..... I wonder where they've been botting cards that has a combo requirement you can't return? I don't need the damn power supplies. I need the video cards they have to do business. I HAVE power supplies.

Newegg should ban their account.

Well, I just had a great phone call. Some miner called asking if I wanted to buy 20 EVGA Gold power supplies off them... because they had to buy combos to get the cards.

Geeeeeeeee..... I wonder where they've been botting cards that has a combo requirement you can't return? I don't need the damn power supplies. I need the video cards they have to do business. I HAVE power supplies.

Ironically, I'm going to need a new PSU if I ever get a card. XD

I'll grind out my 1060 for as long as I can, but this thing craps out I'm done for. Go back to r/c or something. The shortage. Fighting the bots and miners. Price increases. This is pretty stupid.

Some miner just has your phone number???

Ironically, I'm going to need a new PSU if I ever get a card. XD

I'll grind out my 1060 for as long as I can, but this thing craps out I'm done for. Go back to r/c or something. The shortage. Fighting the bots and miners. Price increases. This is pretty stupid.
Just have to fight through the bots - you can get cards.

Offer them bottom dollar on those PSU's :LOL:

Just have to fight through the bots - you can get cards.
The effort is not worth it. It's time consuming as hell. And if you are not on your pc 24/7, there really is no chance. I'd rather be outside or at the gym and wait until my step up comes through. Instead of hawking the internet 24/7 for a video card. Just not worth the time or effort.

Even standard GPUs are out of stock. Unbelievable. This is a huge plot to raise the prices, like the old minning times.

Even standard GPUs are out of stock. Unbelievable. This is a huge plot to raise the prices, like the old minning times.
Welcome back to 2018.
Don't worry, if history repeats itself, you'll see this:
1. In 18 months hashrates will go down as well as profitability and Greedy Miners will flood the market with their "lightly used for occasional gaming" cards.
2. Desperate gamers will stop buying at online stores when they see USED mining cards priced just under the original MSRP, then,
3. Due to lower demand of cards from online stores priced way the Hell over MSRP, availability will flourish, but yeah at 50% over MSRP.
4. 6 months after you installed , New cards released with double the performance at less than last MSRP.
BONUS ROUND!: ***China releases new virus into the world!***
5. repeat steps 1-4.

Best Buy's massive drop this AM was impressive. Sorry for those that didn't benefit from it - 3080's went fast but the 3090's and 3070's (all mostly FE's) stayed available for 30-40 minutes depending on your location as you have to pick them up in person. AMD CPU's also dropped in waves. Managed to grab a 5900 in the second or third wave as well as a 3090. To BB's credit they had a long check-out process which I think was effective against the bot's.

Well done BB in trying to fend off the scalpers. Also good job in holding the ASP's / selling prices. They didn't gouge.

Best Buy's massive drop this AM was impressive. Sorry for those that didn't benefit from it - 3080's went fast but the 3090's and 3070's (all mostly FE's) stayed available for 30-40 minutes depending on your location as you have to pick them up in person. AMD CPU's also dropped in waves. Managed to grab a 5900 in the second or third wave as well as a 3090. To BB's credit they had a long check-out process which I think was effective against the bot's.

Well done BB in trying to fend off the scalpers. Also good job in holding the ASP's / selling prices. They didn't gouge.
Yeah saw 3060 Ti and 3090 and was impressed that they were both listed for MSRP. FE models.

Honestly am looking for a 3080 so just sat this one out, but looked like they had it together today.

I'm still shocked I was able to score a 3080 FE this morning at MSRP, especially after the news about the tariff price hikes came out. The long checkout process made me nervous I was going to miss out on it but I got the order in and man was it a relief.

As someone who’s a little cash strapped, selling my 2080 super is starting to look like a better decision by the day.

i will just keep practicing guitar and watching disney plus on ps4. at least i get to wait on intel to catch up. i prefer them anyways, we got burned on an amd k2 way back when. not to mention to pair a new nvidia card with an amd cpu seems sacrilegious. ya im older and now more grumpier. xD
I’d love to be using my PS4 but it flat out died out of the blue one month after the warranty expired. Not giving Sony money until later on in the PS5 lifecycle, and I can’t give money to AMD/Nvidia because of lack of ability to purchase.

Sigh. I’ll keep playing with my 1069 3GB. It’s not THAT bad as long as I keep things at 1080p (at least it gets me 60-90fps!).

I’d love to be using my PS4 but it flat out died out of the blue one month after the warranty expired. Not giving Sony money until later on in the PS5 lifecycle, and I can’t give money to AMD/Nvidia because of lack of ability to purchase.

Sigh. I’ll keep playing with my 1069 3GB. It’s not THAT bad as long as I keep things at 1080p (at least it gets me 60-90fps!).
sounds better than my old i5 750 w/ bfg gtx 260 but i bet my crucial ballistix tracer blue led memory shines brighter when scrolling large pdf files. rofl!

Well something to keep in mind is that the most common card on the Steam hardware survey is the 1060. The next is the 1050Ti. Those two account for about 17% of all systems. Even among gamers, middle of the road and older is common. Well nearly all developers will take that in to account. They aren't going to release a game that is so intense it doesn't run well on what almost a fifth of the gaming crowd uses. It'll continue to play games well for some time to come.

While having new and high end parts is fun, 99.9% of games are going to work well on the stuff that is common. Only occasionally does a dev go a bit crazy and make something that demands the latest tech.

At this point, months after launch, the idea that chip leaders cannot meet demand if just very distressing and ridiculous. You mean to tell me in 4 months they couldn't figure out COVID workarounds? What's really going on? Oh there's the miners too. Do they realize there are literally NO cards at all to buy. Current gen or otherwise. And it's been like that for weeks now.
I admit I have started to think this as well. The current world situation has been going on since March. Considering the months long process to manufacture and ship these things, I could see lack of availability September through December. But at this point? There is no way manufacturers and shippers haven’t figured out ways to work more around obstacles, despite new constraints. I teach at a big state university and I can tell you that while spring was a sh*tshow, fall was hard but we figured most processes out, and on this 2021 spring semester that just started we got things on lock until normality returns with the vaccine. If a bunch of academics can figure it out, you’re telling me that some of the best engineers in the world can’t? (I don’t mean YOU you,but a rhetorical you).

Yeah, I’m not buying it anymore. COVID isn’t a magical explanation for everything. Crypto is a factor, but not enough to dry up virtually all demand. Enough to raise prices and make things hard to buy? Sure. To completely disintegrate availability? No way. Why are such few cards shipping to stores in the first place? Nvidia’s recent earnings I read about pointed to a bunch of sold gpus. Where are the products to buy? They can’t all be snatched by miners, and considering the enthusiasts we hear from here, it ain’t - majority of gamers either. And if it were the case, where are the consumer protection laws? Because scalping is far from respecting capitalistic demand and offer.

Last edited:
I admit I have started to think this as well. The current world situation has been going on since March. Considering the months long process to manufacture and ship these things, I could see lack of availability September through November. But at this point? There is no way manufacturers and shippers haven’t figured out ways to work more efficiently, despite constraints. I teach at a big state university and spring was a sh*tshow, fall was hard but we figured most processes out, this 2021 spring semester just started and we got this thing locked until normality returns with the vaccine. If a bunch of academics can figure it out, you’re telling me that some of the best engineers in the world can’t?

Yeah, I’m not buying it anymore. COVID isn’t a magical explanation for everything. Crypto is a factor, but not enough to dry up virtually all demand. Enough to raise prices and make things hard to buy? Sure. To completely disintegrate availability? No way. Why are such few cards shipping to stores in the first place? Nvidia’s recent earnings I read about pointed to a bunch of sold gpus. Where are the products to buy? They can’t all be miners, and considering the enthusiasts we hear from here, it ain’t - majority of gamers either.
So the COVID part of the GPU shortage is only partially supply. There is that, don't think that supply chains aren't still affected by this, they are. We've seen that ordering larger quantities of things.

However the bigger part of the GPU shortage is demand, which is also hugely influenced by COVID. The reason is twofold, as I posted elsewhere:

1) More disposable income. COVID has been a highly unequal situation, economically. For many people it has utterly screwed them. They've lost jobs with nothing on the horizon, they are facing evection when protections end, and a host of other shit. Real, real, bad. However for those that kept their jobs it has generally translated to more disposable income. The reason is that those jobs that got lost are from things that money isn't getting spent on as much anymore. If you aren't eating out, aren't going to movies, aren't traveling, etc, etc well that's a bunch more money you have. Makes expensive consumer good more affordable, in the relative sense.

2) The biggest though is just psychological. People have a pent up energy needing to do SOMETHING to buy SOMETHING to have something new. So they want these new toys and want them bad. Something maybe they were already excited for has now become overwhelming. Demand just went through the roof.

We are seeing this with not just GPUs but all kinds of consumer electronics toys like consoles, and not just the new ones the Switch is going OOS as well, the new iPhones, monitors, etc. People are just going NUTS to buy stuff. That then also creates a positive feedback loop whereby people see stuff going out of stock, and thus fear they are missing out and decide to try and buy things even if they weren't really looking in the first place. Then of course crypto is going nuts so that makes it even harder.

There's just a lot of crazy going on right now. It will all settle eventually but it is going to be a pain for awhile.

I admit I have started to think this as well. The current world situation has been going on since March. Considering the months long process to manufacture and ship these things, I could see lack of availability September through December. But at this point? There is no way manufacturers and shippers haven’t figured out ways to work more around obstacles, despite new constraints. I teach at a big state university and I can tell you that while spring was a sh*tshow, fall was hard but we figured most processes out, and on this 2021 spring semester that just started we got things on lock until normality returns with the vaccine. If a bunch of academics can figure it out, you’re telling me that some of the best engineers in the world can’t? (I don’t mean YOU you,but a rhetorical you).

Yeah, I’m not buying it anymore. COVID isn’t a magical explanation for everything. Crypto is a factor, but not enough to dry up virtually all demand. Enough to raise prices and make things hard to buy? Sure. To completely disintegrate availability? No way. Why are such few cards shipping to stores in the first place? Nvidia’s recent earnings I read about pointed to a bunch of sold gpus. Where are the products to buy? They can’t all be snatched by miners, and considering the enthusiasts we hear from here, it ain’t - majority of gamers either. And if it were the case, where are the consumer protection laws? Because scalping is far from respecting capitalistic demand and offer.
No kidding. I mean, even if it is due to covid and rising costs... obviously demand is at an all time high, why don't AMD/nVidia just throw more money at fabs/shippers to expediate the process? Clearly they have the revenue, be it from miners or whatever. Their cards sell as soon as they come out, so why not throw all your resources into shipping and manufacturing? Is that not the logical business step? Money buys anything in this world... but it seems like everyone is dragging their feet despite the unprecedented demand

No kidding. I mean, even if it is due to covid and rising costs... obviously demand is at an all time high, why don't AMD/nVidia just throw more money at fabs/shippers to expediate the process? Clearly they have the revenue, be it from miners or whatever. Their cards sell as soon as they come out, so why not throw all your resources into shipping and manufacturing? Is that not the logical business step? Money buys anything in this world... but it seems like everyone is dragging their feet despite the unprecedented demand
Two issues there:

1) Only so much fab capacity. They aren't the only companies who want wafers from those advanced fabs and TSMC and Samsung aren't going to fuck over other customers. When the fab is at 100% capacity, that's it. Everyone just has to wait. TSMC isn't going to fuck over Apple to give AMD more wafers. It isn't like you can just build a new fab either, it takes years to build one. They already started building their next gen fabs that are nowhere near done yet. Any factory takes a long time to construct and something as complex as a cutting edge fab take a looong time and a lot of money. So for now, the capacity we have is it.

2) Lag time in the supply chain. nVidia claims to have ordered more wafers. If so, we'll see the results probably next month. It takes like 3 months to fab a wafer on these modern processes. After that the chips still have to e cut, tested, packaged, sent to OEMs, put on boards, those tested, boxed, shipped, then sent off to retailers. The supply chain is long. So if they ordered more in mid September then end of January is the earliest we could realistically expect to see a supply increase, probably not even that soon.

Money does in fact NOT buy anything. Companies have contracts they cannot just get out of, and business relationships to consider, and stuff just takes time. There is no amount of money that changes the physics of how long it takes to fab a wafer.

We're seeing this in other industries too that are totally unrelated to tech / sitting at home. Unprecedented demand but businesses aren't adding additional capacity. They think it's a temporary thing and it will go away after coronavirus settles down, so they're not willing to invest in additional facilities that could go dormant after the surge ends, because if they bet wrong and build up too much additional capacity it will cost them tons of money in idle manufacturing equipment & land.

Two issues there:

When the fab is at 100% capacity, that's it. Everyone just has to wait. TSMC isn't going to fuck over Apple to give AMD more wafers.
This, to me, is the best explanation. Capacity is actually at max level, not because of GPU makers, but because of everyone else. Mainly, when other technology like phone chips is consuming such a vast amount of 7nm/8nm (Apple doesn't count so much here, as they've moved on to 5nm and only a small amount of their devices rely on 7nm or older lithography), AMD/Nvidia just can't produce anymore even if they want to. The important bit now, then, is why AMD/Nvidia don't actually respect their customers (who for the past 30 years have made them who they are now!) by forcing a queuing system so their gaming customers can actually buy the gaming products. They'll still sell out, but the product will mostly go to its intended market. Why are we in a situation where we're fighting bots to buy a product? If they want to sell to miners, which of course they do because they'll make a bunch of money, make mining variants of those cards (better chain-linking through USB 4, no video out), they know they'll sell out anyway. Additionally, it won't flood the market later on when miners sell their abused GPUs on the used market, because gamers don't need video-out-less GPUs. The current style of leaving decades-long customers high and dry is going to bite this industry in the ass.

This, to me, is the best explanation. Capacity is actually at max level, not because of GPU makers, but because of everyone else. Mainly, when other technology like phone chips is consuming such a vast amount of 7nm/8nm (Apple doesn't count so much here, as they've moved on to 5nm and only a small amount of their devices rely on 7nm or older lithography), AMD/Nvidia just can't produce anymore even if they want to. The important bit now, then, is why AMD/Nvidia don't actually respect their customers (who for the past 30 years have made them who they are now!) by forcing a queuing system so their gaming customers can actually buy the gaming products. They'll still sell out, but the product will mostly go to its intended market. Why are we in a situation where we're fighting bots to buy a product? If they want to sell to miners, which of course they do because they'll make a bunch of money, make mining variants of those cards (better chain-linking through USB 4, no video out), they know they'll sell out anyway. Additionally, it won't flood the market later on when miners sell their abused GPUs on the used market, because gamers don't need video-out-less GPUs. The current style of leaving decades-long customers high and dry is going to bite this industry in the ass.
Answer is simple, they don't give a damn about their long-term customers.

Let's be honest here, they do not need to give a damn either. If you want to game on a PC with decent graphics, you are going to buy one of thier cards (assuming you can find one) whether you like them or not. Otherwise; you will end up on a console; which guess what, still uses GPUs....

It sucks; but that is the state of things. I was pissed as hell it took me 4 months to get a card, but guess what, I still bought one because I love high end gaming.

My point is, Intel is coming. And yes, I expect little, as they're starting from the ground up. But so did Nvidia against 3Dfx, relentlessly upgrading performance at great value, and we know how that ended up. Not that Intel would reproduce that kind of meteoric rise (they're already big and greedy, not hungry for growth) but if Intel delivers great value in 2022 or 2023, and Nvidia (or even AMD) keeps angering their customers... there's going to be a lot of Intel GPU customers. I for one will drop any of them like a hot stone if someone offers me similar performance at a better value. Faithful in marriage, outrageously adulterous with hardware.

Bad recipe for the future.
Maybe. They are also the only two GPU makers relevant to gamers right now so where else is anyone going to go? Also people tend to have short attention spans these days.

"I'm going console then!" Cool. Same problems as GPU's with regard to fab capacity/manufacturing/meeting demand. Granted, does not have the crypto miner factor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back