Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Supply far outstripping demand. Just remember that AMD nerfed it's RDNA 2 GPUs so those would not be attractive to miners.
Does the use of infinity cache with slower cheaper memory is really AMD intentionally nerfing RDNA 2 GPUs so they would not be attractive to miners (that would seem an odd business decision or maybe not could help your more pro product line in similar workloads) or simply the consequence of design decision that had nothing to do with it ? If memory slower bandwidth is really the reason they are not attractive I could imagine it is just cheaper than higher bandwidth solution, or it is something else ?

Last edited:
Probably $1k msrp vs the $700 of the plain 3080. I got an evga 3080 FTW3 hybrid (240mm AIO) for $779 before tax, so a great deal for that card. Paying $300+ more for vram I won't use for years seems silly when that's halfway towards a next gen card. And who knows how long before those will be available.... Maybe a Feb launch, maybe later and stock will go fast as hell on the 3080ti just like the original 3080.

If I recall it is likely to be a RTX 3090 but with less VRAM and a bit slower. In which case, at $1000 it might make sense if you really have the money and want the best 4K performance. 3090 won't make sense for gamers though is that is how things end up.

Was chatting with a previous co-worker and he is trying to piece together a build... He was about to fork over a good amount for a MSI Gaming GTX 1650.. and I noticed on newegg there "was" at the time a 1660ti that was in stock..
Well in just the short amount of time that he cancelled the order for the 1650 and added the 1660ti to his cart to check out, the damn thing went OOS..
It's ridiculous the shortage of cards.. only thing new that is available online are RX 570's and RX580's from what I see..

You are better off buying a pre-built with a decent card, and parting off the rest of the rig

I’ve got a BLT preorder for another Asus hybrid 6800XT. Just got mine from Newegg (in FS/FT forum for an air cooled trade), debating keeping the preorder to pass on to anyone here, just not sure if anyone wants the fancier cards

Trying to buy a evga 3060ti but it seems that this is next to impossible. My xfx 5600xt will just have to get me by until whenever. This totally sucks!
i'm going for a 3080, to replace a 5700xt, but I looked at the numbers that even a 3060ti puts up against a 5700xt and was pretty impressed. Nvidia the new Value alternative ? :p

Who even knows when AMD is going to have anything competitive at that price point in the market?

Also depends on which rumor is correct...

Will it be a 3080 die with more vram? Or will it be close to a 3090 die with less vram and smaller bus?

I'd jump for the latter, but the 3080 with just more vram would be a waste for $300 more.
My guess is 3090 die on a 320-bit 20GB interface.

What's dumb about this whole thing is that had they simply release the initial 3080 as a 12GB 384-bit card, I don't think they would have gotten as much of a stink. It would have been 4GB more than the 2080 and for the 1080 Ti/2080 Ti owner, it at least gained a gig instead of regressing a gig. I don't think anyone was wanting a $1k+ 3080 variant.

It's a post-apocalyptic video card world: they are scarce and difficult to come by, and barter at fair value is only possible by the exchange of other scare hardware while the dollar has lost its value.

I remember being a little uncertain when I bought those B-Stock 2080Ti FTW3 HCs for $750 each back in September for my workstation, but that turned out to be a great decision. I've had many pre-orders on RTX 3xxx go nowhere since, though I did get one 3090 in for my gaming PC so at least I got something.

It sucks because I believe COVID has a lot to do with this, and could see this continuing on for a while in 2021.

My guess is 3090 die on a 320-bit 20GB interface.

What's dumb about this whole thing is that had they simply release the initial 3080 as a 12GB 384-bit card, I don't think they would have gotten as much of a stink. It would have been 4GB more than the 2080 and for the 1080 Ti/2080 Ti owner, it at least gained a gig instead of regressing a gig. I don't think anyone was wanting a $1k+ 3080 variant.
Also if using 16gbit DDR 6, it would be virtually the same bandwidth as 320bit 19gbit DDR6x. Cheaper ram, more of it, cooler ram, less power hungry ram . . . That would have been the best deal of this generation if that was the case.

I saw more 3080ti and 3060ti clickbait this morning.
Not into being strung along.

Once Nvidia iterates rt cores all the content creators are gonna jump to the new and we will get a flood of messaging.

Yep. Supply far outstripping demand. Just remember that AMD nerfed it's RDNA 2 GPUs so those would not be attractive to miners.

View attachment 313790
That is the biggest waste if I ever seen one. That could be rendering cgi for the next mandalorian season. And to anyone putting any faith in crytocurrency you better
watch yourself. I see shotty, poorly designed server rooms being run by inexperienced administrators. If this currency is so amazing why are all the mining facilities, even the massive ones, so poorly designed? They would be run in server designed rooms with raised floors and all asic machines, not gaming graphics cards.... o_O

That is the biggest waste if I ever seen one. That could be rendering cgi for the next mandalorian season. And to anyone putting any faith in crytocurrency you better
watch yourself. I see shotty, poorly designed server rooms being run by inexperienced administrators. If this currency is so amazing why are all the mining facilities, even the massive ones, so poorly designed? They would be run in server designed rooms with raised floors and all asic machines, not gaming graphics cards.... o_O
Because the servers themselves don't matter. Highly-distributed systems like that don't care if a node dies, or rack dies, or even a whole country worth dies. That's the point. All that stuff you mentioned? Overhead. And cost. And overhead. They don't need it or want it (not saying I like crypto, but I do understand the architecture). There is no central bitcoin repository - it's the blockchain itself, and EVERY node has a copy of that.

Because the servers themselves don't matter. Highly-distributed systems like that don't care if a node dies, or rack dies, or even a whole country worth dies. That's the point. All that stuff you mentioned? Overhead. And cost. And overhead. They don't need it or want it (not saying I like crypto, but I do understand the architecture). There is no central bitcoin repository - it's the blockchain itself, and EVERY node has a copy of that.
Then why are the huge massive shotty ones running the show? Sounds central designed or at least going to end up that way.

Then why are the huge massive shotty ones running the show? Sounds central designed or at least going to end up that way.
Because those are piles of independent nodes - not big servers. That is probably several systems with each GPU hooked up via a riser cable to a x1 PCIE slot.

Motherboards in question:
https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-H110-Mining-Motherboard-Cryptocurrency/dp/B073BX57M1

Bitcoin (or anything designed on a blockchain) ~cannot~ be centrally controlled; that's the whole point. As long as 51% of all nodes are not owned by one person/place/thing, there's no central control. And if anyone starts getting close to that, add more nodes on the other side. Absolutely nothing of note happens if you lose a mining node (or 20, or 500, or 1000). There are a LOT of BTC nodes out there right now, each contains a full set of all transactions (ish, simplifying a bit here - all previous transactions, and a set of new transactions they're verifying), and they're all working at finding a tiny hash to store the next set with - that's why you "mine" - to find that next hash.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lol... whats funny is, if you look at the code, it says 25+ in stock; but I think another part of the code is overwriting what is actually displayed on the page for some reason... maybe they really did get a drop and are trying to limit a rush? Anyone seen this before with MC?

<h2><span class="ProductLink_628738" data-name="GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Triple-Fan 24GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card" data-id="628738" data-price="1799.99" data-brand="EVGA" data-position="5" data-list="Add Ons" data-category="Video Cards">EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Triple-Fan 24GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card</span></h2>
<p><span class="inventoryCnt">25+ in stock</span>

----------------------
EDIT:
Worst video card release of all time... about to say F it all and wait till 4xxx series.

MC was supposed to be open 11-6 today... now it says...

STORE HOURS
Temporarily closed for deep cleaning.

Last edited:
Well if it's anything like how utterly packed my local MC has been lately, that is probably a good thing.
Agreed. I went there a week or two ago to pick up some ink, store was ridiculously packed. Also why MC is silly right now, making people show up or wait in line vs. just reserving a card online and waiting for their turn to pick it up in person.

My local MC says they have 25+ 3090 FTW3 Ultra's instock.... click on the link it then says "Limited Availability". WTF, is it worth the drive or not MC? Stop yanking my chain...
If you call them, a friendly rep will usually give you the skinny. At this point I believe people are still lining up on the days they typically receive stock and most is accounted for before the store opens. I don't have a microcenter near me so I'm SOL and have contemplated the 3+ hour drive to one out of state. Only issue is that lining up at 3 am doesn't give you a card if they don't receive one that day.

Soon won't Nvidia do ti to shift to people will want a 3080ti bc it's = to a 3090 and we can restart this whole searching for oos items fresh?

Soon won't Nvidia do ti to shift to people will want a 3080ti bc it's = to a 3090 and we can restart this whole searching for oos items fresh?

Some of us would argue that what they plan to release as the "3080 Ti" is what the 3080 SHOULD have been released as to begin with. I wonder how many people are going to ditch their 3080's for the Ti variant, though. It seems a lot of folks in that space (that is, those paying outrageous money for scalped cards) have more $$$ than sense.

To mvmiller12's response I think because I am playing at 1440p Ultra on all my PC games I'll keep my RTX 3080 10GB card. I mean, what's 10 more GB of memory and a few more CUDA, Tensor and RT cores going to do for people running at 1440p Ultra? For 4K I can see the benefits of 10 extra GB of memory and a few more CUDA/Tensor/RT cores. 1440p Ultra however? Not so much. Out!

I’m hopeful the 3060 / 6700 releases in a few days will finally give us a flood of availability. These chips are much easier to manufacture after all, fingers crossed there’s a bunch of cards incoming for people to be able to buy them.

I’m hopeful the 3060 / 6700 releases in a few days will finally give us a flood of availability. These chips are much easier to manufacture after all, fingers crossed there’s a bunch of cards incoming for people to be able to buy them.
I'd like to see a 20gb 1070ti announced.

🤣🤣
Is today April 1st?

🤣🤣
Is today April 1st?
GA106 is likely about half a GA102, so it'll be a lot easier to manufacture. I'm not saying there'll be a card supply explosion, but at least many more people should be able to buy a $300 card compared to the higher tier availability - or lack thereof.

GA106 is likely about half a GA102, so it'll be a lot easier to manufacture. I'm not saying there'll be a card supply explosion, but at least many more people should be able to buy a $300 card compared to the higher tier availability - or lack thereof.
This, even if a flood of product happen relative to the other model, considering that demand at that price point could easily be 3-4 time bigger (but maybe less fast/aggressive into getting them that said), i.e. it should still be again rapidly out of stock and hard to find.

This, even if a flood of product happen relative to the other model, considering that demand at that price point could easily be 3-4 time bigger (but maybe less fast/aggressive into getting them that said), i.e. it should still be again rapidly out of stock and hard to find.
Right. Stock that will also be replenished faster than higher up models. More numbers = more chances of getting a GPU.

so is it not easy to convert bitcoin back to cash? or does it yield a higher conversion to buy tech with bit coin to scalp for cash? is this why it is making it impossible to buy components and consoles on top of it being during a pandemic?

So does anyone actually think these cards are going to be in stock? Really peeps. This shit is going to be no stock until middle of next year. Guarantee it. Feb and March? OOS. IMO pretty much until a ways out.

Dude, vendors are gouging now too and the cards not even in stock. I was looking at the Asus 3090 with EK waterblock at ShopBLT. It was listed as orderable at 1800 and change. I look at it later in the day and they jacked it to over 2000. /smh

I go looking again tonight... no 1660 super cards. I mean... what the actual hell? WHO is sucking up every 1660 card? There was not even a hint of 1660's suddenly having a run on them until the weekend of black friday when every video card currently being made disappeared. I understood to some extent the 2060, 2070, 2080 lineup getting completely axed because they don't make economic sense against the 3000 series but what the hell put such a load on the lower end if miners aren't doing it? We are only just now talking about maybe getting 3050 announcements at Computex and that's still a rumor. There are mountains of used cards like 1070s and 1080s getting sold back into that $250 price range so what is causing this? Has Nvidia already halted production of every last previous gen card just to clear stock and make way for the 3050 and 3060 cards that aren't even luanched yet? Knowing full well that they'll just get insta slammed the moment they launch?

If that's the case, this whole thing is now moving into yet another new level of being out of hand. It was mildly disturbing when the whole stack disappeared for a couple weeks before Christmas. But we're into the new year and Newegg is still mostly blank except for scalpers.

And it gets even better. The problems extend into integrated graphics. You CAN get Intel CPUs at the moment with IGP... but Intel's IGP simply sucks. Everyone knows it. I prefer building with a lower performing CPU with better graphics because it produces a more well rounded machine for daily use. But the 3200G is also AWOL. You can only find one or two a week if you are super lucky. And the 3400G which has the best IGP of any CPU out there... you either can't get at all, or it's going for $200 which is absurd for it's performance level. It was expensive at $150, but it filled a niche where you wanted decent graphics but didn't want to put a $50-75 video card in.

Either way, you can't really get those either now.

If the product is related to decent graphics in any way, it's OOS.

I'd rather be building AMD, but the reality is I'm building almost exclusively Intel systems because I can't GET ANYTHING ELSE. Even graphics cards. So the one remaining option for actual quantity of anything is Intel with IGP. That doesn't exactly fill many of my customer's needs right now. And there's no sign of it getting better.

Anyone else nervous as hell about their GPU crapping out on them right now? I had a slight flicker in my screen last night for about a minute. I thought for sure something bad was about to happen. XD

Yeah, PC is dead. Might as well get a console... on no... you can't do that either.
i will just keep practicing guitar and watching disney plus on ps4. at least i get to wait on intel to catch up. i prefer them anyways, we got burned on an amd k2 way back when. not to mention to pair a new nvidia card with an amd cpu seems sacrilegious. ya im older and now more grumpier. xD

This item is not in your cart yet.

Due to high demand, we're having everyone go through one more step before it can be added.

Please try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back