Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I have just been lucky, but I was able to score myself 1 RTX 3080, and 2 RTX 3070's for my kids first Gaming PC builds. All at my local Microcenter, and no waiting in line at 4am or anything stupid. Just going there in the morning by lunchtime.

Now, let me tell you, this took a lot of time, I had to be persistent, was going to my Microcenter like 3 or 4 days a week for a good month or more. I got lucky with my 3080, they had a 2080 Ti in the display case for sale, was like $750 or so, I thought dang, I don't really want this card, but I'll maybe take it, then I asked hey do you guys happen to have a 3080 here? Guy said let me check the warehouse, they had one left, so I bought it.

Similair with the 3070's just going there almost every day around lunchtime, asking if they got any of the new cards in, and those seemed a bit easier to get, seemed when they got deliveries, the 3070's shipped to them in larger quantities, than the 3080. They'd get 30 or 40 RTX 3070's and like 5 RTX 3080's, you just had to be there at the right time, when they still had some there, the sales guy told me, come before noon, they sell out of hot cards by 11:00am most the time.

My point, if your looking for a card right now tonight, yeah you probably won't find one, but if you have a Microcenter nearby, and just go there every other day, for a couple weeks, you will absolutly get your card. This is for the nVidia 3000 line.

The AMD 6800 line seems like vaporware, my MC barely gets those in, and when they do, sold out in minutes. I have never seen those in the store once yet.
You are lucky. From what employees tell me there is a line every morning before opening at my MC.

The most upsetting thing right now, is the crazy cost for old cards. A 2070 for $500+ NO THANKS. Even old 2060's selling for $400, that's nuts. And you can't even find those anymore in stock, most of those sold out too.

Or the AMD 5700XT still selling for $425, sorry but that's an old card, and when compared to what's been released in that price range, like a RTX 3070 for $499, you'd be a fool to buy the 5700XT. But it's so hard to find a 3070 FE right now, super rare, so the 5700XT is sometimes the only card available.

I keep reading about industry insiders saying come March / April, they expect PC parts and supply to return to normal, and stock plenty.
Yea prices on old GPUs are insane. The only GPUs my local MC has is 1 open box 2080ti for $1000 that has been there for over a month now. I had to take a double take seeing two old AMD 7750 for $180 and $220 lol. Everything else left are cheap low end garbage cards.

Everything from the 1660 super, to the 5900xt, to the 2070 super, 3070, 3080, 3090....

All gone.

Any that are showing a few in stock are 3rd party stores selling 40% to 100% over MSRP.

2060 cards are going for $500... ?!?

So, there's not enough of ANYTHING for ANYONE now? It's just, "Sorry everyone, covid year and all, no holiday inventory of anything... see you next year."

Wow.

Panic buying people were told to hunker down and they did in front of the PC. Ebay is where all the cardz are =)

I can't buy a card. I'm locked in with evgas step up program. It's kind of a good thing too, I'm not in any rush to upgrade my 2070 super and also it's going to be done at one point I just have to be patient. Rather save money now instead of spending money with the holidays around. At the rate their step up is going though. I won't get my card until July or August. The queue there is moving slow as heck.

On the upside, I sold my old GTX 1080 for $340. About half of what I paid for it, over 3 and a half years ago. Originally was going to sell my 1080 Ti and keep the 1080 in my secondary gaming rig. But I was shocked to see that people were paying a similar price for the 1080's and the 1080 Ti's on Ebay. My 1080 Ti has a Morpheus 2 with Noctua fans on it and I wasn't looking forward to selling it, but now it makes much more sense to sell my 1080 and keep the Ti.

I'm very happy with my 3090 Ultra FTW3 from EVGA. I was very close to paying $100-$200 over MSRP for a scalped card, but thankfully I figured out that my time was about to come up in the EVGA queue a day before I was able to purchase one.

Same here in the UK. Used 5700xts and 1080 tis are going for $500/£400. In 25+ years of following PC and gaming hardware I've never seen anything like this.

Very glad I got my 3080 already and didn't sell my laptop.

Tempted to selll my 1080ti and have consoles tie me over in mean time, the only way 3080 becomes a bearable cost is if I sell my 1080ti for silly money.

You are lucky. From what employees tell me there is a line every morning before opening at my MC.

Yea prices on old GPUs are insane. The only GPUs my local MC has is 1 open box 2080ti for $1000 that has been there for over a month now. I had to take a double take seeing two old AMD 7750 for $180 and $220 lol. Everything else left are cheap low end garbage cards.

It makes me wonder what I could get for my R9 280X at this point, given the stupid prices people are paying for really old cards.

It makes me wonder what I could get for my R9 280X at this point, given the stupid prices people are paying for really old cards.
I quit gaming earlier this year and wondering the same for my RTX 2060. It's going for almost double what I paid new for it.

I was shocked when I looked at Micro Center site this morning. The had one 2060 that immediately sold after they opened and all they have now are RX 550's or GT 710's or equivalent.

Hope to god I don't have a card go out. I had a 970 in the house go out last month and had to grab a 1660 to replace it for now. Now if anything else goes out, guess we're hosed.

I was shocked when I looked at Micro Center site this morning. The had one 2060 that immediately sold after they opened and all they have now are RX 550's or GT 710's or equivalent.

Hope to god I don't have a card go out. I had a 970 in the house go out last month and had to grab a 1660 to replace it for now. Now if anything else goes out, guess we're hosed.
I feel you. If my 2080Ti goes out I'd have to have a funeral for it.

I pretty well always have a spare now, but I’m also the kind of guy who runs his systems for so long between upgrade cycles that there is little residual value remaining. My last system lasted me 6 years before I finally did a complete overhaul, and the only reason I did that is because the i5 4670K I was running became a visible bottleneck. Alas, if my 1070Ti dies I can at least slap my old R9 280X and play some older titles to scratch that itch when it comes.

I pretty well always have a spare now, but I’m also the kind of guy who runs his systems for so long between upgrade cycles that there is little residual value remaining. My last system lasted me 6 years before I finally did a complete overhaul, and the only reason I did that is because the i5 4670K I was running became a visible bottleneck. Alas, if my 1070Ti dies I can at least slap my old R9 280X and play some older titles to scratch that itch when it comes.
I just rummaged through my storage room this past weekend to make sure I still had my GTX 770 that I purchased refurbished from, that's right, Microcenter for $90 in 2016. I would hate to install it, but I'll slam it in if needed and limp along for a few months if I have to. Good lessoned learned I guess to always have a back up card.

Quit gaming during the pandemic? The trend has been the opposite lol, what did you replace it with hobby-wise?
I quit right before the pandemic in March. Health issues led me to stop playing games for about a week and in that time I noticed I was spending more time with my family which was great and made the decision to stop gaming completely. So my new hobbies are the gym to get back in shape plus lots of Netflix and chilling with the wife ;)

I quit right before the pandemic in March. Health issues led me to stop playing games for about a week and in that time I noticed I was spending more time with my family which was great and made the decision to stop gaming completely. So my new hobbies are the gym to get back in shape plus lots of Netflix and chilling with the wife ;)

That last one beats gaming anytime. ;)

That last one beats gaming anytime. ;)
Ain't gonna lie, it not only saved our marriage but also improved it remarkably. You rarely hear about marriages getting better these days. Wife and I discussed writing a book about it.

Back on subject for the thread I have a crazy tin foil hat conspiracy theory that Google is buying all up all the graphic cards to force gamers to play on their Stadia game streaming service. <- feel free to ignore, lol

Ain't gonna lie, it not only saved our marriage but also improved it remarkably. You rarely hear about marriages getting better these days. Wife and I discussed writing a book about it.

Back on subject for the thread I have a crazy tin foil hat conspiracy theory that Google is buying all up all the graphic cards to force gamers to play on their Stadia game streaming service. <- feel free to ignore, lol
A healthy balance is always good. PC gaming is one of my main hobbies and she knows it. I love building them, pushing them and then using them to game. But the weekends are dedicated to whatever she wants to do and I spend a few evenings a week as well with her. She works on a lot of art, so sometimes she is like "Eh, just go video game." haha.

Also on the subject, yeah, if my 2080Ti were to die, I'd be lost right now. I could fall back on 1080's in SLI, but then I lose my RT and DLSS. Not to mention, I game at 4K now. At the time I had 2 1080's, it was 1440p.

We both game which is the nice thing.

I game at 1440p now which means my 980 sucks for anything new. I haven't played any modern games really since upgrading to this monitor.

a 280X is old enough to be less affected by all this; probably worth about $80 give or take a bit. Those $200 HD7750 cards at MC are weird low-profile cards with a ton of miniDP outputs for workstations and signage and not really general-purpose.

From what I can see, anything prior to GeForce 10 or Radeon 400 is still worth about $100 max, with the exception of 980Ti and Fury X which are still only going for ~$150.

Last edited:
Stadia is actually alright. I had the founders pack, but I sold the controller since I wasn't using it too much. That said, it was almost there (some compression and lag, but hopefully they can improve this).

I think if you have a high end PC, it's not the greatest experience. But, if you have a really old PC and can't find parts for a new one, maybe give it a try. It probably works better than you think.

You can play in your browser with an Xbox controller, no Chromecast or expensive gamepad needed. https://stadia.google.com/home

Just replaced a 3600 with 5600x and don't notice anything. Sure theres some fps bump by a few percent, but unless your playing competitive csgo ect, its a wash imo. You got a damn fine setup, dont be misled by a few percentage points costing twice as much.
I just want to amend this and say that Forza Horizon 4 is getting like 20-30% more fps now at 1440p with the 5600x vs. the 3600 non x I have. For some reason this is one of those games, like csgo that gets a serious boost from the new architecture. I'm running 1440p with the setting essentially maxed out and getting a near constant 144fps to match my refresh rate. Previously with identical settings I'd cruise around 110-115 fps in busy sections with empty areas getting close to the 144fps max. This is a legitimate, significant boost that I was not expecting, having seen so many games with limited gains. Again, figure out what games you play 90% of the time and spend your money there.

I almost feel like I don't need a new videocard in this system anymore, getting some more legs out of this powerplay table maxed out 5700xt but alas, other games aren't as bolstered by the Ryzen 3 architecture.

Regardless, I bought the 3600 for a reason, based on the massive uptick in performance it had over a sandy bridge in this particular box. The end game was always to slot in a 5950x but I just couldn't find one available, and the 3600 was only meant as a stopgap. For a stopgap, honestly it was a showstopper. You're in good hands with AMD cpus these days, I still have yet to pass verdict on the rx 6800xt yet, but only time will tell. Honestly whatever I find in stock first I'll jump on, either a 3080, or 6800xt. If I can find a 6900xt tomorrow at launch, then god wills it, and I must abide with his decision.

If I find my golden 5950x, I'll put the 3600 and 5600x up in the forum at cost. Happy fragging.

Stadia is actually alright. I had the founders pack, but I sold the controller since I wasn't using it too much. That said, it was almost there (some compression and lag, but hopefully they can improve this).
Not having a GPU right now, at seeing we can try it for free with a computer, maybe I will give it a try.

Do you know when you buy a game for stadia if you own the right to install later locally or it is usually stadia only ?

So I am in an interesting position regarding video cards. I just got an eVGA GeForce 3080 XC3 Ultra video card from eVGA's online store. Those who weren't in the know from the past I purchased an eVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming card in early October with hopes to use the Step-Up Program to get a 3080. I think what made me get the 3080 XC3 Ultra over what I could've got in the Step-Up is that I didn't expect the email from eVGA to arrive until later next year. Also, I had the money to afford the full price of the 3080 from eVGA. So now I've got an RTX 2070 Super that kind of feels like a lame duck. Reason is my older system (a fully tricked out Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake based machine with a GTX 1080 in it) and now the 2070 Super and what query on my mind is...do I sell the 2070 Super and this complete i7 6700K system separately or change out the 1080 in the i7 6700K system for the RTX 2070 Super, get a higher price for that and then try to find anyone to take a lone GTX 1080? What do you all think? Write back with your thoughts and advice and until next time I am out!

So I am in an interesting position regarding video cards. I just got an eVGA GeForce 3080 XC3 Ultra video card from eVGA's online store. Those who weren't in the know from the past I purchased an eVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming card in early October with hopes to use the Step-Up Program to get a 3080. I think what made me get the 3080 XC3 Ultra over what I could've got in the Step-Up is that I didn't expect the email from eVGA to arrive until later next year. Also, I had the money to afford the full price of the 3080 from eVGA. So now I've got an RTX 2070 Super that kind of feels like a lame duck. Reason is my older system (a fully tricked out Intel Core i7 6700K Skylake based machine with a GTX 1080 in it) and now the 2070 Super and what query on my mind is...do I sell the 2070 Super and this complete i7 6700K system separately or change out the 1080 in the i7 6700K system for the RTX 2070 Super, get a higher price for that and then try to find anyone to take a lone GTX 1080? What do you all think? Write back with your thoughts and advice and until next time I am out!
Part out always goes better than selling together, at least on here. Different on Facebook or Craigslist.

Not having a GPU right now, at seeing we can try it for free with a computer, maybe I will give it a try.

Do you know when you buy a game for stadia if you own the right to install later locally or it is usually stadia only ?
You keep your license (I guess for as long as Stadia is around) but there is no local install. It's cloud only.

today's Microcenter drop in Denver:
1 (one) RTX 3070
1 (one) RTX 2060
two people are going to get lucky today :ROFLMAO:
they also have four Quadro RTX 4000 cards, for really desperate people who want to pay $1000 for an underclocked, single-slot 2070.

oh, and one open-box 1650... hope you like memory artifacts!

I wasn't thrilled about needing a replacement right now but I'm glad I got something ordered a few days ago because it seems like there's even less stock now, it's still the most I've paid for a card that I only plan to use for a month or two(whenever the new GPUs actually become available).

Other than the 6950 I'm using I've also got an old 8800gt but I don't think I have the adapters I'd need to use it with my current monitor.

today's Microcenter drop in Denver:
1 (one) RTX 3070
1 (one) RTX 2060
two people are going to get lucky today :ROFLMAO:
they also have four Quadro RTX 4000 cards, for really desperate people who want to pay $1000 for an underclocked, single-slot 2070.

oh, and one open-box 1650... hope you like memory artifacts!
My Microcenter doesn't update their site to show what it is in stock. However they did show they have 5 Asrock 6900xt today. First time in 2 months I saw them update stock on anything. They haven't even put up a page for the 6800 cards since release.

I got to Micro Center 30 minutes before they opened this morning. They had 35-40 cards...3060s, 3070s, and some 6900XTs. Big group already lined up. I ended up with an EVGA 3060 ti. The 2070S has to go.

Yep, I've looked at pricing on the older cards and it reminds me when the mining boom was consuming everything in sight. Yet there is no significant mining craze at this time. . .

We're not so loud to broadcast things this time around.

:whistle:

Reactions: noko
like this
Drool over both?
Wait until March-April for availability, then decide.

Get which ever you can find. 30X0 are easier to find than the Radeon.
Yea, I'm fine with waiting until March. No biggie. Just looking to make the bump from 1080@60 to 1440@144. Nothing fancy. Just something to replace the 1060 I'm using.

I'm running a 3600 right now, so I figured the 6000series would make a good pair.

This is what happens when you make youtube videos telling people how easy it is to build a computer.
1607617592779.png

So where are people checking in on GPUs? I've got AMD's site, NewEgg, and BestBuy. There any other places I could check in on once or twice a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back