Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My willingness to give a fuck is OOS at this point.
I'm with you there... I can't even find a b550 motherboard that's under £130 now in the UK (and I'm sure as hell not paying that much for a mid-range motherboard chipset). The effort-to-reward ratio of me even thinking about checking if stuff is in stock is exhausted. I've got other things to do.

Behold.png

$150 for a 570 is pretty nice. Not the best card these days, but probably okay for a low-spec rig.
Yea they are $200+ at MC when I was there Monday. They only had 2 in stock. I brought 2 from their last year for $150 each lol.

It figures that this is when my power supply* decided to go out and take my graphics card with it(unless it was vice versa but that seems unlikely), possibly the top PCIe slot too but I need to double check that. Power supplies and motherboards aren't cheap or plentiful right now but they can at least be found.

I was already planning to pick up a 6800xt ASAP but now I'm stuck on an ancient 6950 that's limited to 1080p 60Hz without a mini DP cable. I was really looking forward to getting a good card but it's tempting to settle for a 5700xt that I can actually get though I might just pick up something cheap to hold me over, either way this 6950 isn't going to cut it for long.

*I knew the focus plus gold line wasn't Seasonic's best but I didn't expect it to go like that.

Finally lucked out and was able to score an Aorus Elite X570 and a 3600 from a local store. Kind of settled for the 3600 as it seems like at this point it’s a take what you can get situation even though I really wanted a 5600.
I'm happy with the 3600 system I put together a couple of months ago; when the 5600s are easier to get I'll put one in there, but for now it's good enough.

Kind of settled...

Settled, huh? Not even a 3600X?
Or even a 3800X? Gotta admit that 6 cores in 2021 is pretty darn... primitive.
It'll technically work, sure, but will you be happy? Will you feel ~enthusiastic~?

Because that's what this forum is all about. Hardware enthusiasm.
Don't settle for what you can get. Instead ..... BE ENTHUSIASTIC!

Finally lucked out and was able to score an Aorus Elite X570 and a 3600 from a local store. Kind of settled for the 3600 as it seems like at this point it’s a take what you can get situation even though I really wanted a 5600.
Just replaced a 3600 with 5600x and dont notice anything. Sure theres some fps bump by a few percent, but unless your playing competetive csgo ect, its a wash imo. You got a damn fine setup, dont be misled by a few percentage points costing twice as much.

Settled, huh? Not even a 3600X?
Or even a 3800X? Gotta admit that 6 cores in 2021 is pretty darn... primitive.
It'll technically work, sure, but will you be happy? Will you feel ~enthusiastic~?

Because that's what this forum is all about. Hardware enthusiasm.
Don't settle for what you can get. Instead ..... BE ENTHUSIASTIC!
Actually it’s a 3600X.... WOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

I guess it's good that I want an update to nvenc, rtx Voice, ram capacity, and driver's that aren't nerfed when I run a Jupyter notebook.

Not that this thread is technically meant for this, but that headline is also why crypto (as it stands now) will never be adopted by most governments, it's too variable, which causes chaos for currency and maintaining inflation levels and currency value.

In the LONG run, I could see governments moving to a crypto type of currency, that THEY control and "mine", but this stuff on the side will never be as mainstream as people hope and is likely an extremely poor investment for the average individual at this point in its life.
Nope. Using the US for example, the govt has zero control over currency. Thanks Bretton Woods Convention, and Thanks for eliminating the gold standard you crook ass Nixon. So now the fed reserve a private non federal bank, doesnt have to have anything backing its fiat. It just prints out of thin air. A total sham flim flam valueless currency.

So govts dont need crypto mining. They just create money from nothing. And always will.

Lmao it looks like you might have to buy a prebuilt system to get a card nowadays...
This is actually the only way to get a new gpu. It's fucking terrifying. If this becomes the norm, mid spec decent performant rigs are going to start flooding the market minus the gpu.

If stock doesnt stabalize till 2h '21 i might just skip this gen and continue 1440p 144hz.

To think you used to be able to sli 2 nvidia flagships for under 800$. Now u cant even buy their cut down chip at that price.

This is actually the only way to get a new gpu. It's fucking terrifying. If this becomes the norm, mid spec decent performant rigs are going to start flooding the market minus the gpu.

If stock doesnt stabalize till 2h '21 i might just skip this gen and continue 1440p 144hz.

To think you used to be able to sli 2 nvidia flagships for under 800$. Now u cant even buy their cut down chip at that price.
The sad thing is if you part the rig out/can sell it locally it's probably cheaper to do that then pay the tax for the high end cards...... How many people are seriously paying 25% or more over msrp on cards that probably have no warranty?

What is the msrp on 3090/80 /6080xt?

How many people are seriously paying 25% or more over msrp on cards that probably have no warranty?

That's a big problem with buying a new card from a third-party. Even if they are selling it at a reasonable price, most vendors won't honor the warranty without a receipt.

I think the worst thing is that by the time anyone normal can get these cards, they'll already be old.

Kind of ruins getting the latest card at launch and having something to talk about.

Don't worry...once employers see their efficiency dropping since everyone is working remote...there will be layoffs and we'll be well on our way to a recession.

Right now, everything is staying afloat due to consumer debit (we're in the 2007 stage of the 2008-2009 recession). That'll all come to a head soon :)
My employer is seeing efficiency holding steady or even climbing with remote work. So much so they’re selling real estate and planning to move a lot of the folks to remote work long term. it really depends on the industry and the ethics of your employees

I'm not trying to come off as unsympathetic... I understand the frustration on the buying side, believe me, but I think the frustration around this while scenario many find themselves in is misguided.

Understand the forces behind the scarcity.

Supply and demand... ECON 101. Demand is CLEARLY outstripping the supply (bending it over if you will). As we can clearly see, the demand for these graphics cards in INSANE. We're all locked down and confined darn near to our homes and workplaces since ~March (if you are lucky you can go to work), unable to go out and about, and live our lives, spend our money at local bars/establishments, and as a result, the consumer gaming market has EXPLODED.

These cards are priced "competitively" relative to Turing to boot, and you know what, honestly, what DID those who are baffled right now expect? Yeah, you're going to have to fight to get your product RIGHT NOW. Crazy high demand leads to scalping, this is nothing new. The PS3 saw the same thing what, 8+ years ago? Easy to find other examples, plenty of them out there.

IMO, the only critique you might be able to make is these manufactures released sales of these products to early, before "sufficient stock" could be built up to meet a known sky high demand. I think we'd be waiting another 6+ months minimum before what could be considered as sufficient would have been available. Should these companies have waited around not selling a product that was technically available, albeit in a limited quantity? Something something business are in business to make money.

I don't think the insanely high demand was unknown either, and marketing hyped the ever-loving you know what out of these cards, so what are you left with.... See my second paragraph.

Any of you tried to buy furniture lately? A sectional (couch) in my personal experience from about 1 month ago. I walked into a furniture store on Main Street in my hometown and said "hey, that is a nice sectional, I'll take it". The lady kindly explained to me that I might get MY version of said sectional around May-June of 2021. This was in mid October... I said no thanks and continue to use my current couch to this day.

The only ones I truly feel for right now are those with cards that died unexpectedly who are going without right now.

I will also say, there is no such thing as a buyers AND sellers market simultaneously. I was a GPU seller recently, the market was kind to me, and I got LUCKY in finding my 3080 from a member on here. Now I'm trying to pick something up for the GF around the ~2070 level, and I'm on the opposite side of the fence now, facing paying the same premium I sold for, and fighting amongst everyone for a 3060Ti or the likes. It sucks, but I understand and accept why I am having to do what I have to to get one of these cards.

The market is ultimately fair, and will correct itself in the long term.

Last edited:
I just made the mistake of taking a couple minutes to decide which 5600xt of the two in stock at NE and now they're both gone, jeez. Certainly bad timing but there's nothing I can do about that.

At least my motherboard appears to be fine after more testing today.

5700x's seem to be available on the egg here and there. Yes yes yes, the 3060ti is a better card for the same money. But having a card for a build due for the holidays is more important.

With the speed at which things are moving, its very likely they aren't updating in-store stock online/don't have a chance to do it, as stuff sells so quickly. I would call your local stores about stock. or just drop by when you can.

Despite the fact that we have been in pandemic mode for months and online shopping is the standard: companies have not fully streamlined and adjusted their workflow for their websites
This is the facts. They aren't touching GPU stocks online and the AMD stuff is. I spent days hunting for a 5600x and finally got one when I was randomly passing the stores. it was DOA and the manager i spoke with said that i just need to show up to see if theres stock. After drive #4 they finally had one. all 3 other drives there were 10+ in stock and sold out. the time i found one there was 0 in stock online but had 3 in store.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I was able to score myself 1 RTX 3080, and 2 RTX 3070's for my kids first Gaming PC builds. All at my local Microcenter, and no waiting in line at 4am or anything stupid. Just going there in the morning by lunchtime.

Now, let me tell you, this took a lot of time, I had to be persistent, was going to my Microcenter like 3 or 4 days a week for a good month or more. I got lucky with my 3080, they had a 2080 Ti in the display case for sale, was like $750 or so, I thought dang, I don't really want this card, but I'll maybe take it, then I asked hey do you guys happen to have a 3080 here? Guy said let me check the warehouse, they had one left, so I bought it.

Similair with the 3070's just going there almost every day around lunchtime, asking if they got any of the new cards in, and those seemed a bit easier to get, seemed when they got deliveries, the 3070's shipped to them in larger quantities, than the 3080. They'd get 30 or 40 RTX 3070's and like 5 RTX 3080's, you just had to be there at the right time, when they still had some there, the sales guy told me, come before noon, they sell out of hot cards by 11:00am most the time.

My point, if your looking for a card right now tonight, yeah you probably won't find one, but if you have a Microcenter nearby, and just go there every other day, for a couple weeks, you will absolutly get your card. This is for the nVidia 3000 line.

The AMD 6800 line seems like vaporware, my MC barely gets those in, and when they do, sold out in minutes. I have never seen those in the store once yet.

The most upsetting thing right now, is the crazy cost for old cards. A 2070 for $500+ NO THANKS. Even old 2060's selling for $400, that's nuts. And you can't even find those anymore in stock, most of those sold out too.

Or the AMD 5700XT still selling for $425, sorry but that's an old card, and when compared to what's been released in that price range, like a RTX 3070 for $499, you'd be a fool to buy the 5700XT. But it's so hard to find a 3070 FE right now, super rare, so the 5700XT is sometimes the only card available.

I keep reading about industry insiders saying come March / April, they expect PC parts and supply to return to normal, and stock plenty.

While availability of hardware is certainly a drag right now, one silver lining is that if you still have your old system, as I'd imagine most of us here do, now is a great time to pick up some new games and play those. Games on Steam never go out of stock.

I'm presently waiting on parts for my project car that for some reason "shipped" a week ago, but haven't moved at all, and today feels like a pretty good day to actually play some of the games I keep all these computers around for.

That because digital items are unlimited.

My closest Microcenter is 1006 miles away. So it's great they are getting stock and the way they do things is clearly helping where they are, but... :)
Right? There isn't a box store within 200 miles of me that employs anyone that even knows what a GPU is. XD

Right? There isn't a box store within 200 miles of me that employs anyone that even knows what a GPU is. XD
Stop living in flyover country?

all seriousness - this is the disadvantage of rural living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back