Every desirable video card model is now OOS tonight. Unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I've looked at pricing on the older cards and it reminds me when the mining boom was consuming everything in sight. Yet there is no significant mining craze at this time. . .
https://linustechtips.com/topic/127...orth-of-geforce-rtx-30-gpus-to-crypto-miners/

For the quarter in review, NVIDIA sold at least $175 million worth of new generation GPUs to ethereum miners, helping the outperformance. The analyst had guided sales to miners to come in at $150 million for the quarter".
Steves noted that the upcoming network upgrade of the Ethereum blockchain, also known as Ethereum 2.0, which is scheduled to take place sometime in December, demands that miners switch over to more efficient mining hardware. NVIDIA's new Ampere GPU chips are thought to meet that need".

I love how that RX 570 listing has a LIMIT per customer. The 4GB version.

I still had use cases for the RX 570 8GB at $120 a year ago. Photoshop machines and multi monitor systems where there was a need for a lot of video outputs and a bunch of video RAM without needing a really expensive power supply. Now though? At those prices?

I have a 2070 Super that was just replaced by a 3080. I wasn't going to sell it, but I might want to reconsider now lol.

I came to this sub forum specifically to see what was up with the video card prices I’m seeing online. GTX 1660’s on Newegg for $300-600?? Weren’t they $300 when they first came out a couple years ago?!?

I came to this sub forum specifically to see what was up with the video card prices I’m seeing online. GTX 1660’s on Newegg for $300-600?? Weren’t they $300 when they first came out a couple years ago?!?
Shortages and Christmas and Covid.

There were still 1660 Supers just mid last week in the 230-250 range. The last few disappeared Friday. That was it.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to be doing custom builds with for a while. Hopefully the restock dates from Amazon are indicating that more are actually on the way. It's one thing when I can't do the high end builds people want... it's another when I can't do ANY builds people want.

Incidentally, even my go-to CPU, the 3200G is hard to get in any quantity.

Looking for a video card for my bro in law and it's a struggle out there, haha. Thinking he's going to be running around with the Intel onboard for a bit...

Don't worry...once employers see their efficiency dropping since everyone is working remote...there will be layoffs and we'll be well on our way to a recession.

Right now, everything is staying afloat due to consumer debit (we're in the 2007 stage of the 2008-2009 recession). That'll all come to a head soon :)

Yep, I've looked at pricing on the older cards and it reminds me when the mining boom was consuming everything in sight. Yet there is no significant mining craze at this time. . .

I was able to buy cards during the mining craze. It wasn't as easy as normal, but with careful timing and diligently checking at Microcenter or online, I could find what I was looking for. From where I'm sitting this current card drought is even worse.

There were still 1660 Supers just mid last week in the 230-250 range. The last few disappeared Friday. That was it.

I'm really not sure what I'm going to be doing custom builds with for a while. Hopefully the restock dates from Amazon are indicating that more are actually on the way. It's one thing when I can't do the high end builds people want... it's another when I can't do ANY builds people want.

Incidentally, even my go-to CPU, the 3200G is hard to get in any quantity.
I picked up a 1660 Super brand new for only $200 flat near launch for my secondary computer. Great card for that price, not current out of stock prices though.

This whole situation was predictable this season with all the next-gen games coming out, and how many people skipped upgrading GPU's the past couple of years.

I was able to buy cards during the mining craze. It wasn't as easy as normal, but with careful timing and diligently checking at Microcenter or online, I could find what I was looking for. From where I'm sitting this current card drought is even worse.

Also seems to be GPU's + any good AMD cpu and motherboard

Also seems to be GPU's + any good AMD cpu and motherboard

I think the CPU's are a different deal. I think those are being bought by bots primarily for scaling purposes. I don't think there are very many of them in the channel. I say that because AMD's behavior with reviewers changes depending on how many of them they have and what the yields look like. Plus, these are available like the 3000 series were after launch to some extent. You just have to move very quick.

I bought a MSI 1050ti Gaming X for a Christmas present, have learned not to wait so got it, but still was surprised when they sold out later on.

My local microcenter has no AMD cpus available between $100 & $420. And no 5x series. Your options are a $100 apu, and the next cheapest is 3900xt @ $430 Unbelievable.
1606759511482.png

The second closest one is in the same situation!
1606759578803.png

I have two older GTX 770's laying around with no home.. at this rate I could probably get decent money for them... LOL.

I'd sell my 1080's, but I have them in my media PC at this time so I need at least one of them!

My local microcenter has no AMD cpus available between $100 & $420. And no 5x series. Your options are a $100 apu, and the next cheapest is 3900xt @ $430 Unbelievable.
View attachment 304375
View attachment 304376
With the speed at which things are moving, its very likely they aren't updating in-store stock online/don't have a chance to do it, as stuff sells so quickly. I would call your local stores about stock. or just drop by when you can.

Despite the fact that we have been in pandemic mode for months and online shopping is the standard: companies have not fully streamlined and adjusted their workflow for their websites.

Reactions: Dan
like this
Dang, if this keeps up, it's going to start making sense to actually repair and sell dead graphics cards.

I almost bought a lot of like 30 dead cards on Ebay the other day. If working ones stay this scarce for very long, then it's going to become actually worthwhile for purposes other than forum/Youtube cred.

If anyone in Denver is looking for a Ryzen 5800x, Microcenter says they have "25+" in-stock right now, FYI. Still no GPUs though aside from a single model of 5600XT and a bunch of low-end cards.

Dang, if this keeps up, it's going to start making sense to actually repair and sell dead graphics cards.

I almost bought a lot of like 30 dead cards on Ebay the other day. If working ones stay this scarce for very long, then it's going to become actually worthwhile for purposes other than forum/Youtube cred.
Buy dead cards, throw them in the oven, sell. Profit :D

View attachment 304375
View attachment 304376
Literally this is where you go (if you need a system right now). Hey I'm going to buy an intel cpu. Why, cause I could find one. :LOL:

You can sometimes beat the bots/scalpers at their own game, if you keep a script running. I did exactly that to score two PS5 consoles - one for an Xmas gift, one to swap for a 30 series card.

Desperate times, desperate measures!

Since its winter wonder what a 470 be worth its in a box :p. Best space heater I've ever had for a graphics card

Ive got a 5600xt and a 3070

I had to camp out in front of Microcenter to get the 3070. Still new in box. Holding out for a 6800xt or 6900xt

Was able to purchase a 5700xt at MSRP last night at the Egg for a family member. I know, I know......new GPUs coming out. BUT...winter break only comes around once a year so being able to use it on vacation days is important.

MC in Dallas seems to have the 5800x in stuck but that's the one no one wants.
Have to see how the 3060TI goes from EVGA tomorrow.

1606835878016.png

Assuming this is semi-related to mining picking up steam again... I see BTC is approaching nearly $20,000 again..

1606836124246.png

Assuming this is semi-related to mining picking up steam again... I see BTC is approaching nearly $20,000 again..

View attachment 304644
Not that this thread is technically meant for this, but that headline is also why crypto (as it stands now) will never be adopted by most governments, it's too variable, which causes chaos for currency and maintaining inflation levels and currency value.

In the LONG run, I could see governments moving to a crypto type of currency, that THEY control and "mine", but this stuff on the side will never be as mainstream as people hope and is likely an extremely poor investment for the average individual at this point in its life.

Not that this thread is technically meant for this, but that headline is also why crypto (as it stands now) will never be adopted by most governments, it's too variable, which causes chaos for currency and maintaining inflation levels and currency value.

In the LONG run, I could see governments moving to a crypto type of currency, that THEY control and "mine", but this stuff on the side will never be as mainstream as people hope and is likely an extremely poor investment for the average individual at this point in its life.
It's cheaper/easier for governments of the world to just hack/steal currency, rather than mine it.

Finally, no modern world government would touch BTC with a ten-foot pole outside of covert ops that use it to funnel money to different things. Most governments are dependent on having an inflationary fiscal policy. They'd never tie themselves done to a fixed currency.

Last edited:
It's cheaper/easier for governments of the world to just hack/steal currency, rather than mine it.
This, humans investing giant effort to extract gold to put it in coin/basement was already an costly, inefficient and probably stupid endeavor, to replace it by energy hungry extremely polluting digital mining instead would be quite strange.

Specially with how good modern monetary system evolved into.

I'm tempted to sell my 2080Ti.
Looking at how much the same card sells, I could make €100 (bought it used for €600).

got 3090s into cart and to checkout four times today. If you’re looking for one of those, let me know and I’ll actually complete the purchase next tine

Finally lucked out and was able to score an Aorus Elite X570 and a 3600 from a local store. Kind of settled for the 3600 as it seems like at this point it’s a take what you can get situation even though I really wanted a 5600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back