Evernote v. Keep

Spidey329

[H]F Junkie
Anyone familiar with Google Keep? I originally used G Notebook (discontinued) and ported to Evernote. But recently I keep hitting the 60mb upload limit late in the month. I don't think their service is worth $60/yr, when I barely use my low free amount.

Enter Google Keep. Been playing with this, love the interface and speed. But is it me or is there no way to clip from browser? That seems like a really important feature to leave out. In Android, you can do it by hitting the share button. Desktop PC doesn't have that button.

TLDR;
Is there an unofficial extension to clip with Google Keep?

Define: "clip"
not everyone knows WTF you're talking about there.

Easy there, no need to be rude.

I assumed most that would know what Evernote/Keep is, would be familiar with the features of these types of applications. Evernote / OneNote have what's a "web clipper" browser extension. You can click a button and automatically create a new note from your browser - it can be a screen cap (with markup), selection, entire webpage, just a note, bookmark, and so fourth. It makes doing research saves a lot easier as the workflow is a matter of highlighting, clicking "clip", and adding tags.

Keep on the other hand appears to just be based on a copy/paste approach. You have to manually do everything you want to save. The Android app on the other hand allows you to do it directly from the browser.

Easy there, no need to be rude.

If you call that rude than get off the internet now, that was just about as polite as can be. You can't just use obscure terms and expect everyone to know what you're talking about.

How about OneNote? It's free and has the features your looking for.

i use keep mostly for reminders and to do list.. and it syncs with all my devices effectively !!

Every time I open OneNote, I never want to use it again. It seems ridiculously complicated and feels as if it's forcing me to carefully categorize everything into its own page, section, and notebook. I'm using it now and the fucking thing won't even sync properly on Android.

So what I think would be ideal is if Google Keep came out with an extension for Chrome that would instantly clip entire web pages. Pocket for Android also seems good, except it does a fucking shit job of saving pages.

Try onenote, G keep is far from mature at least for now. I like google services but I switched back from keep to evernote two months ago.

Every time I open OneNote, I never want to use it again. It seems ridiculously complicated and feels as if it's forcing me to carefully categorize everything into its own page, section, and notebook. I'm using it now and the fucking thing won't even sync properly on Android.

What are you hoping to use it for? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering what your expectations were going in. Once you have your organization method figured out (which is a personal decision), it's a cakewalk to stay organized. If you think about OneNote as a digital notebook you'll start to click with how they have it organized. You can also customize just about everything including how the menus are laid out, etc (if you want to). For example, this is what my Surface Pro 3 default layout looks like, and I think you'll agree its pretty simple:

example1_zpsf8jvyxjd.png

Just a few of my favorite pens at the top and a bunch of empty paper, just the way I like it :) If I want to I can expand out the menus to reorganize pages, change notebooks, etc. But otherwise I keep it simple.

Also I agree, the Android version of OneNote is crap for anything other than viewing content.

Last edited:
I use Evernote every day and love it. I've never tried Google Keep.

Being able to email directly into your Evernote account is freaking awesome!

I've started using Onenote at work myself. It's ridiculously easy to take screen shots of changes I make on the phone system, servers etc etc, and it's easy to tag and such.

Android OneNote is crap, not really well supported at all. Has most features unavailable to it as well. Desktop version much more versatile.

Back