CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
CPU Alias Yorkfield
CPU Stepping E0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz
CPUID Revision 0001067Ah
CPU VID 1.1000 V

CPU Speed:

CPU Clock 2000.0 MHz (original: 3000 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 6x
CPU FSB 333.3 MHz (original: 333 MHz)
Memory Bus 666.7 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 2:1

stress test it with prime and you will see it shoot up to its normal speed its just a built in feature to reduce power consumption when the cpu isn't being used its perfectly normal no need to worry about it you can disable it in the bios

If you want to overclock shouldn't you disable those options?

If you want to overclock shouldn't you disable those options?
No.
generally yes because it affects your oc a bit
No, it doesn't. Speedstep has absolutely no effect on anything unless the PC is idle. I'm running a Q9550 overclocked to 3.8GHz with Speedstep and C1E enabled, and I can tell you for sure that they are not limiting my overclock at all (I have tested with them enabled and disabled).

I agree, EIST has no effect on your end result OC. However, when finding a stable OC, its easier to disable EIST. After a stable OC is found, you can re-enable it.

No, it doesn't. Speedstep has absolutely no effect on anything unless the PC is idle. I'm running a Q9550 overclocked to 3.8GHz with Speedstep and C1E enabled, and I can tell you for sure that they are not limiting my overclock at all (I have tested with them enabled and disabled).

To add to what Zero said... Some boards will disable speedstep if OC'ing. If the CPU voltage is set higher than stock, manually, then speedstep might not work properly (won't lower the voltage properly), so some boards disable it. The earlier gigabyte P965/P35 boards did this, but not sure if any newer boards do.

why would you want your CPU to be constantly under load?

I don't believe people are doing this to keep their CPU under constant load (is the Windows "System Idle Process" actually considered a load?), but rather there is a feeling amoung many that disabling the energy saving features will increase their OC. Not sure if this is true or not, as I've read a number of threads where is didn't make any difference as Zero82z noted directly above. But I do know it is a pretty widely held belief.

Some boards will disable speedstep if OC'ing. If the CPU voltage is set higher than stock, manually, then speedstep might not work properly (won't lower the voltage properly), so some boards disable it. The earlier gigabyte P965/P35 boards did this, but not sure if any newer boards do.

Some boards may have disabled it when overclocking, but Speedstep hasn't ever proved detrimental to overclocking. I've never seen anyone who's been able to increase their overclock just by disabling EIST and C1E.

I don't believe people are doing this to keep their CPU under constant load (is the Windows "System Idle Process" actually considered a load?), but rather there is a feeling amoung many that disabling the energy saving features will increase their OC. Not sure if this is true or not, as I've read a number of threads where is didn't make any difference as Zero82z noted directly above. But I do know it is a pretty widely held belief.

Why it's a widely held belief is beyond me, maybe we can get some official [H]ardness in here to put an end t this rumor;)

Some boards may have disabled it when overclocking, but Speedstep hasn't ever proved detrimental to overclocking. I've never seen anyone who's been able to increase their overclock just by disabling EIST and C1E.

I was agreeing with you and simply adding to your info. ;)

Back