Ever heard of ANYTHING like this EVER?

demografik

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay so I dare anyone to try to find something weirder than this.

When my computer gets too cold (around 25c in-case temp), my CPU usage shoots up to 100%. Before I realized it was due to the computer being too cold, the only way I could fix it was a hard shut down. This almost always resulted in a corrupted hard drive, I would either have to reinstall any software I realized was no longer working, even repair or reinstall Windows.

Now that I've figured out what causes the problem, I can fix it instantly by turning all my case (2 80mm in and 1 80mm out) fans down with the controller and/or turning on the heater. But still, does this make any sense at all?

Maybe Cool 'n' Quiet is enabled and so when your PC gets cold it runs it at a faster frequency and it's actually not stable at this frequency and so causes errors which lead to your hard drive corrupting.

If you have an option in your bios to enable Cool 'n' Quiet, try disabling it and see if the problem still occurs.

demografik said:
Now that I've figured out what causes the problem, I can fix it instantly by turning all my case (2 80mm in and 1 80mm out) fans down with the controller and/or turning on the heater. But still, does this make any sense at all?

By far the weirdest problem ive heard of, cold bug doesnt normally affect cpu's above 0c, from what ive seen. My AMD idles around 22c most of the time and has no problems.

CnQ isn't on. What's a cold bug? I'm not into phase-change and whatnot so I don't know what you guys are talking about. Would a cold bug lead to the corruption I'm seeing as well?

normally a cold bug effects a cpu at like -20c to -70c... not at 25c.... basically, something in the cpu can't handle the cold, and freaks out. usually the symptom is decreasing maximum htt speeds until 200mhz isn't stable anymore.
i blame the bios. got the newest one?

take your processor out and apply some thermal paste then place it back in, this might make a difference i dont know? but its worth a shot

demografik said:
I'm using OCWorkshop's Beta2 bios. Why would a bios cause this kinda stuff?

Who knows? It's a beta.

But it sounds like Eclipse it the nail right on the head, I'm impressed.

that is definitly the bios you want if you want to oc on the asrock

newer bios's seem to become unstable above 270. I had great luck with the beta 2 on that board. beta 3 and 4 are ok but only got to 274htt. Beta 2 did somewhere in the 300's

I'm having problems with my CPU...

demografik said:
I'm using OCWorkshop's Beta2 bios.

And I'm using a non-standard BIOS! And a beta at that! :rolleyes:

demografik said:
Why would a bios cause this kinda stuff?

Hello?

Go download the most current 'official' BIOS and troubleshoot it without it being OC'd to see if you have an actual problem with the hardware itself. Then let us know if your problem mysteriously disappears...

Back