Ever had a video game song make you emotional?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
This song did especially considering the context if you ever played Chrono Cross:

+Points for Chrono Cross.

When Otherworld started playing during the Jecht final battle I was like "whoa."

Also, my friend and I left the Playstation on all night once in high school with this repeating while we were under the influence. It was something else.

'Here's to you' from Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes...really fits the game and the overall themes...

personally i have a stronger emotional response to
Diebuster march aim for the top

Last edited:
Music on it's own? Sort of. In the sense that it brings back memories of when I first heard the song and my reactions to it tied to the game, then yes. Entirely on it's own, devoid of the context of the scene, no. I hear Melodies of Life and my mind instantly goes back to the Alexander scene in FF9 and the entire sequence around that when the some play. When I hear Eyes on Me I can vividly picture the Ragnarok in FF8 and that scene with Squall and Rinoa in floating in the ship. One-Winged Angel is different in that it brings up various scenes from FF7. The flashback with Jenovah, the death of Arieth, her funeral, their first meeting, the final one-on-one fight between Cloud and Sephiroth, and various other scenes. The Halo theme always bring me back to the opening of Halo 1, from the title screen through to Master Chief awakening. Snake Eater from MGS3 always ties me to climbing that long ladder. Various other songs do the same, but without the context of the game there wouldn't be an emotional tie to the songs.

Love that song. Every song in the game really.

Do you mean all blubbering like a little bitch? Nope.

There has been some great music made for games though.

The TES5 Skyrim sound track is great, especially outside of the battle music snippets. A lot of the Mass Effect music really gives a "fuck yeah" kind of vibe. Dragon Age: Inquisition also has a great sound track. Firewatch (great if its on sale) also gets honorable mention.

Final Fantasy 3 (6) opera house.

The remake FMV is pretty good on the PS version.

This one always brought out the feels when playing Oblivion.

Looks like people are even lifting thread titles from one site to another these days.

When I saw the thread title I figured it had to be a thread started by our resident Brony. Everything makes you emotional Azureth. You are a grown ass man who hates men, puts women and feminist ideals on a pedestal, cries at chick flicks and watches My Little Pony in restaurants without headphones. You are either the most successful forum troll we've ever known or you need serious psychological help.

A lot of the songs from the DOOM (2016) soundtrack make me emotional, as in laugh maniacally.

This song gets me pumped. Makes me want to go out and rip random peoples' arms off and bash their skulls in.

The build up of the menu song makes me all giddy. Someone hand me a shotgun, already!

Flesh & Metal. Because it's a remix of the Doom 3 theme, and the Doom 3 makes me think if NIИ and Tool had a baby.

And finally, Mick Gordon's version of Suspense E1M5 because this song always gave me chills. Very sinister and disturbing. The hair on my arms stood up when I heard it play in Argent Facility (Destroyed).

I still love the old Final Fantasy theme. So many emotional moments (in random cartoony 2D games no less) have reinforced that.

The final battle theme from the NES Ninja Gaiden always felt ultra compelling, especially considering what you had to pull off to even get that far.

I think gaming music can help show a variety of emotions.

For example, the Noki Bay theme from Super Mario Sunshine makes me feel relaxed..

When adrenaline is rushing through me, the Action! music from Return to Castle Wolfenstein comes to my mind.

If I'm really angry, the Central Park music from Last Ninja 2 on the C64 will be in my head. There's actually a remixed version of it that sounds great, though since that song was made on a PAL C64, I saved an MP3 of the remix and then increased the pitch by about 4% to get it to sound right to my ears.

These are the best ones I can think of at the moment.

Back