Ever bought an Open Box Mobo?

steeltoe

Limp Gawd
There is a mobo I want on our favorite vendor's site that is open box. Anyone have experience with buying an open box mobo from newegg? The site says "tested for functionality" but I just won't get any literature or extras. I would say what it is but I don't want anybody else to see it.:D

My 2 cents.
Most products can only be returned for a refund or a the same product, So why was it returned? Yes it may work to their testing, but what did the buyer do to it to want to return it? OK you get a good one great, OK you get a bad one, your the one that has to deal with the outcome you bought an Open box.
Now I am not bad mouthing "open box", but I buy retail with full warrenty because it may not fail in 15 days.

Depends on who is selling them, and what brand / model.

I've taken a gamble on several open box boards from Newegg, and 5 out of 6 times, I've received a working motherboard. In fact, the Gigabyte GA-7DXR+ board that I bought in 2002 was an open box board, and is being used in this very system that I'm currently posting from, and without a single hitch.

The one time that I got a bad board, I simply RMA'ed it back to Newegg, and got credited pretty quickly.

If it's a more shady dealer, then I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I've got 5 open boxes from the egg and 4 were fine, the other I RMAed and got a new. 3 of the 5 still had all the goodies with them.

For me it's worth the chance, there's alot people building systems that are cluelss and return stuff

Some of the OpenBox are the vendor clearing out inventory and what better place than NewEgg? I picked up a Leaadteck 6800GT "open box" but it was a full retail unit, as well as my ASUS A8N SLi- Premium. Not everything they have in OpenBox is a full retail, sometimes all you'll get is the mobo, or vid card, etc. Some of the product is also what they have gotten back as an RMA from the vendor - think about it. You buy a vid card, it's bad. You RMA it to NewEgg, they send you a new one. What do you think they do with that card? They RMA it to the vendor. If there is an issue with a particular model (there were some bad caps on the Leadtek 6800GT) then the vendor will send NewEgg back the fixed / new rev of the product. Since these came back as an RMA, NewEgg can not sell them as "new"... thus, the open box :)

There's more to it than that, I have bought from OpenBox, as have many people I know and we've all come away happy.

Depends on the mobo. If its a complex board for inexperienced users to setup I would jump on it.

When I saw the hoardes of people jumping onto the DFI bandwagon, and then started reading that they were having so many problems and returning them, I bought about 5 DFI (NF4-s939) open box boards from newegg. Never had any problems with any of them. One was missing the sound module, but newegg made good on it after I complained (loudly). None of them came with manuals or CDs, and some were missing sata cables.

last one I bought I had to return, paid shipping both ways.

i got my asus board openbox. it worked fine and every single thing thats should have been in the motherboard box was!!! i saved about $60!!!

Thanks for the replies. We'll see what this Asus a8n32 sli deluxe is made of when it gets here.:D

I did buy an open box mobo, the one i'm using right now. An Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 yup I saved 15$ on a bargain motherboard lol. I'm cheap ehehe. Bought from NCIX, work great, on april 22nd it's gonna retire tho eheh. All the parts were in the box.

I bought two open boxed boards and neither of them worked :( Never again.

I've bought lots of open box stuff from newegg and never had a problem. Motherboards, memory, video cards...all of them worked. The accessories I got varied though. I've never gotten everything that should have been in the retail box though.

I was going to get a P5B Deluxe for $120 from Newegg, but then I found out that open-box mobo's are not covered by any warranty after 14 days. It's worth it to me to have a DS3 and a 3 yr warranty than a P5B Deluxe with a 14 day return policy.

I was going to get a P5B Deluxe for $120 from Newegg, but then I found out that open-box mobo's are not covered by any warranty after 14 days. It's worth it to me to have a DS3 and a 3 yr warranty than a P5B Deluxe with a 14 day return policy.

You still have the three year warranty through Asus, I believe.

Well, first off this thing was barebones as it gets. Not even the damn i/o plate was in the box. I immediately ripped of the heatpipe system and stripped the crap thermal goop and used AS5. I plugged in the drive from my old system and it booted up no sweat. I installed the standard nvidia drivers off nvidia's site.

Asus website is fu^$ing useless trying to figure out what drivers to use there are at least 10 diff files. You would think the fools would have ONE bundle but NO.

Everything is at stock levels right now. I'll pound on it tomorrow night after work. I need to find the MS Sata and IDE drivers. I remember the nvidia drivers suck so I didn't install them. But the damn thing asks for a driver everytime I reboot.

If I gain anything on my previous O clock I'll be pleased, this board was CHEAP compared to what places are still asking for it.

You still have the three year warranty through Asus, I believe.

I don't think so...
Newegg sells them as OEM items, and Asus says they do not cover OEM items.
Plus, I asked a Newegg CSR, and they said that after 14 days Asus motherboards are not covered by any sort of warranty from them or Asus.

Back