Even worth it upgrading to windows 7 from vista 64bit ultimate?

nullzero

Gawd
Its getting ridiculous with the new round of OS releases from Microsoft. I bought Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate about a year and half ago, thinking it would be the standard for the next 5 years. Now Windows 7 comes out and it looks like Microsoft wants to stop support for Vista eventually. I feel like I got burned and sold on Vista because of the DX-10 claims :rolleyes: . My question is it really worth it to upgrade from Vista 64bit to Windows 7? Or should I opt out and give the finger to Microsoft and keep Vista and eventually merge into Linux.

Do you get mad at every company who release a new product 2 years after their last.... Intel, AMD, Apple? Get over it, you should be happy they are trying to stay with the times... Should we all still be on Windows 3.11?

Do you get mad at every company who release a new product 2 years after their last.... Intel, AMD, Apple? Get over it, you should be happy they are trying to stay with the times... Should we all still be on Windows 3.11?

^ this

Maybe I am over reacting, I felt this latest release was just pushed out to make more money (instead of focusing on fixing problems and enhancing vista). I used Windows XP for over 6 years with no problems. OS is not like a CPU, the software can evolve and update to the current environment. I don't like the new path that Microsoft is taking with their products and that is why I considered to opt out on the next generation.

I upgraded, worth every non existent penny. In fact, I even sold my Vista license :)

Maybe I am over reacting, I felt this latest release was just pushed out to make more money (instead of focusing on fixing problems and enhancing vista). I used Windows XP for over 6 years with no problems. OS is not like a CPU, the software can evolve and update to the current environment. I don't like the new path that Microsoft is taking with there products and that is why I considered to opt out on the next generation.

really, cause every other os puts out updates frequently... Look at Linux (sure it's "free") Apple, IBM, etc... OS's usually don't last 7-8 years being the latest from a company. This is the world.

Oh.. and it appears you are a gamer, with the DX10 reference... so I don't really think Linux is an option for you. There is no reason you can't continue to use Vista if it works for you. You CAN use it for the next 6 years if you want.

really, cause every other os puts out updates frequently... Look at Linux (sure it's "free") Apple, IBM, etc... OS's usually don't last 7-8 years being the latest from a company. This is the world.

A lot of people can't afford to shell out +$200 dollars every 2 years on a new OS. I do not blame Microsoft. Supporting a OS with free updates is not as good of a business plan as pushing out a new OS every 2 years and discontinuing updates soon after.

Vista 64 is fine, I've been running it for a bit over a year and a half as well. That said, when win7 is released I'll be moving to it immediately. I've actually not used Vista64 since before the public win 7 7000 beta was released, and I'm a gamer.

A lot of people can't afford to shell out +$200 dollars every 2 years on a new OS. I do not blame Microsoft. Supporting a OS with free updates is not as good of a business plan as pushing out a new OS every 2 years and discontinuing updates soon after.

Just like people can't buy new cars every year... they still make them.

Um

I'm a little miffed, too, at spending that kind of cash for Ultimate not that long ago and then getting kicked to the curb.

I love progress but I hate getting stiffed and I definately feel like I'm getting the stiff one on this deal. People who bought XP Professional got 7-8 years out of the money they spent.

Just like people can't buy new cars every year... they still make them.

I am not mad for the fact they coming out with new products. Its more of the concern of being forced into a upgrade or discontinuing support soon after. An example is the DX-10 hype forced a lot of gamers into purchasing vista.

As for the gamer comment; I like to game but not as much as I use to when I was younger. I use linux on my secondary machine and it works out great. I am sure after using wine and doing some work arounds, I could get some games working.

Um

I'm a little miffed, too, at spending that kind of cash for Ultimate not that long ago and then getting kicked to the curb.

I love progress but I hate getting stiffed and I definately feel like I'm getting the stiff one on this deal. People who bought XP Professional got 7-8 years out of the money they spent.

I'd write you congressman... :rolleyes:

I bought Vista also and have no problem... Just like I bought Leopard and will buy Snow Leopard when it comes out if I know it will add useful features.

lol... Everyone complained about how bad Vista was, now people are complaining about how MS came out with a new OS so soon to try to correct the problems. Apple comes out with new OS's more frequently than MS, and each linux distro pumps out new versions monthly it seems.
Personally I'm happy with the new OS, and I will gladly pay for it when its released for retail.

I am not mad for the fact they coming out with new products. Its more of the concern of being forced into a upgrade or discontinuing support soon after. An example is the DX-10 hype forced a lot of gamers into purchasing vista.

As for the gamer comment; I like to game but not as much as I use to when I was younger. I use linux on my secondary machine and it works out great. I am sure after using wine and doing some work arounds, I could get some games working.

I'm not sure anyone felt forced to buy Vista... I didn't... I purchased it because I wanted to check it out and use the latest version of the OS... I still us XP on a few machines and at work we use it on all of our machines.

I'm not sure anyone felt forced to buy Vista... I didn't... I purchased it because I wanted to check it out and use the latest version of the OS... I still us XP on a few machines and at work we use it on all of our machines.

I don't know maybe I am over reacting. I am going to put my money where my mouth is and skip out on this I think. I would not be surprised we see a windows 7 thread like this 1.5 years from now.

windows 95 - 98 2.5 years, 98 - 2000 2 years (with windows 98SE and ME thrown in there), 2000 - XP 1.5 years, XP - vista 6 years and now vista to win7 about 2.5 years give or take a couple months....which seems to be the odd man out on release cycles?

I don't know maybe I am over reacting. I am going to put my money where my mouth is and skip out on this I think. I would not be surprised we see a windows 7 thread like this 1.5 years from now.

As we will see many threads going... Um, Linux sucks... how do I make a .txt file?!?

Um

How are you getting kicked to the curb, how are you getting stiffed? They are still going to support Vista for quite some time. So please explain to me how on earth you are getting screwed.

Um

XP was the anomaly to Microsoft's release cycle.

I'm interested in the answer to this question too. I could care less about me blowing money on Vista Ultimate so we can drop that part of it.

Is Windows 7 a significant upgrade to Vista 64. Does it give me noticeable more speed and features? I'm a gamer so I want it to be stable. I've looked these answers up before and they seemed to be yes to all the above but it would nice to hear from more of you.

If it is a minor upgrade and not worth the hassle then also let me know.

As we will see many threads going... Um, Linux sucks... how do I make a .txt file?!?

Not me but maybe other people :rolleyes:. I have been using MEPIS and Ubuntu and find them very easy to use and straight forward. Nothing like the old school releases and distro's like debian and slackware.

I'm interested in the answer to this question too. I could care less about me blowing money on Vista Ultimate so we can drop that part of it.

Is Windows 7 a significant upgrade to Vista 64. Does it give me noticeable more speed and features? I'm a gamer so I want it to be stable. I've looked these answers up before and they seemed to be yes to all the above but it would nice to hear from more of you.

If it is a minor upgrade and not worth the hassle then also let me know.

Well, Microsoft is making it free to try, so go download the RC and give it a shot... Don't count on other people opinions.

I've now used Win7 and Vista Ultimate (briefly), but it wasn't 64-bit. I... don't see a lot of difference. 7 has a new taskbar, I haven't done XP mode yet but...

Couldn't you try it and "downgrade" if it doesn't suit you? You bought 64-bit so it should be good to go reinstalling by booting from its DVD(s), right?

How are you getting kicked to the curb, how are you getting stiffed? They are still going to support Vista for quite some time. So please explain to me how on earth you are getting screwed.

Vista will have been out nearly three years when 7 goes gold. Microsoft was very clear almost as soon as Vista was released that the next version of Windows would be released in the more conventional three year period versus five so 7 coming out this year just isn't a suprise.

Vista will have been out nearly three years when 7 goes gold. Microsoft was very clear almost as soon as Vista was released that the next version of Windows would be released in the more conventional three year period versus five so 7 coming out this year just isn't a suprise.

Yeah, I know. I think you either misunderstood me or misquoted me. I'm asking the guy who posted earlier how he is getting screwed for having bought Vista.

Um

Good thing you didn't get XP-64. You would have really been pissed off.

I'm still using Win XP-64, and it works just fine right now, and now dual booting with Win7.
I'll probably go full Windows 7 next year, once whatever bugs are left in it get taken care of. I skipped on Vista when it first came out, and glad I did. Give Windows 7 a try, it's actually pretty good. I'm also running 7 (not the RC yet, that will be after I install it on my desktop tonight) on my HP-6715b laptop in VirtualBox, runs nice on it also.

Hell I may try it out on my old athlon xp 2200 rig also. I like it that much.

jeez

Do you people work for Microsoft? I'm guessing thats entirely possible.

I guess it's good for the economy to see so many people who don't give a shit about money. Or about getting the value they thought they were getting. I mean hell, most people would say that we deserve a refund on Vista to begin with. I think most of those people never used Vista. But nonetheless.

You Microsoft employees (or people who must be getting this stuff free somehow) must not understand how much we real people pay for this stuff. They shouldn't be releasing Windows 7 and say now pay me another $400 to upgrade to this cause it's better than the fuckup we named Vista, they should fix fucking Vista not ask me for more money.

jeez

I guess it's good for the economy to see so many people who don't give a shit about money. Or about getting the value they thought they were getting. I mean hell, most people would say that we deserve a refund on Vista to begin with. I think most of those people never used Vista. But nonetheless.

You Microsoft employees (or people who must be getting this stuff free somehow) must not understand how much we real people pay for this stuff. They shouldn't be releasing Windows 7 and say now pay me another $400 to upgrade to this cause it's better than the fuckup we named Vista, they should fix fucking Vista not ask me for more money.

Vista runs great as is, sp2 is coming out soon and M$ (and software developers) will be supporting it regularly for years to come. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade. :rolleyes:

jeez

So don't upgrade then? Nobody is holding a gun to your head and saying our future programs will not support Vista. Hell, Microsoft will still be putting out security fixes for quite some time. Same concept with Win95 to Win98.

If you guys want to be obtuse. Fine. I know... that you know... what I'm talking about.

People that bought Vista........especially Vista Ultimate got screwed. Can you guess when was the last time I saw an Ultimate Extra? Do you know how many times I've had to open up my case to take our 2GB of ram so I can re-install the fucking operating system. Then wait for 9 hours while Vista original upgrades itself to SP1 so it can act halfway decent.

It is a travesty. I can't believe that some of you condone this.

Um

Wow. Not sure how to comment on that one. KEEP USING IT. Ya MS really stiffed you on it that's why they'll still be supporting it and releasing patches for it. I feel stiffed by Chevy cuz they released a newer Cobalt model with more HP :rolleyes:

Its getting ridiculous with the new round of OS releases from Microsoft. I bought Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate about a year and half ago, thinking it would be the standard for the next 5 years. Now Windows 7 comes out and it looks like Microsoft wants to stop support for Vista eventually. I feel like I got burned and sold on Vista because of the DX-10 claims :rolleyes: . My question is it really worth it to upgrade from Vista 64bit to Windows 7? Or should I opt out and give the finger to Microsoft and keep Vista and eventually merge into Linux.

Round of rreleases? As far as I know, Vista has been the only OS released since 2001. Windows 7 isn't out yet. What you're seeing all the fuss over is a PRE-release EVALUATION-only operating system.

If you though Vista would be the standard for the next 5 years a year after Vista's release, then you weren't paying attention. Win7 (aka Vienna, aka Backcomb) was known about and planned for late-2009/ early-2010 release before Vista hit the shelves.

Now, as far as your question is concerned. Look at the feature Win7 is offering vs your current OS. If there's something you want that you can't get on Vista, go with Win7. If you decide to stick with Vista, then so be it. It'll be supported for a long while after Win7 makes it on the shelves. Hell, even XP is supported until 2012. They've not going to kill Vista supported before XP.

If you guys want to be obtuse. Fine. I know... that you know... what I'm talking about.

People that bought Vista........especially Vista Ultimate got screwed. Can you guess when was the last time I saw an Ultimate Extra? Do you know how many times I've had to open up my case to take our 2GB of ram so I can re-install the fucking operating system. Then wait for 9 hours while Vista original upgrades itself to SP1 so it can act halfway decent.

Why do you take the RAM out? I've installed Vista 32 and 64 bit with 4 gigs of RAM. 9 hrs to update? Really? I install SP1 and all the latest patches within 1 -2 hrs max. SP2 will be out soon so even less time. And Ultimate is not just for the Ultimate Extra's, it's combining businness OS with Home OS. And it's not like you needed to purchase Ultimate.

Wow. Not sure how to comment on that one. KEEP USING IT. Ya MS really stiffed you on it that's why they'll still be supporting it and releasing patches for it. I feel stiffed by Chevy cuz they released a newer Cobalt model with more HP :rolleyes:

Yea.

Hey show me the nearest Microsoft dealer where I can get some service for this Edsel I'm driving.

Get real. Thats the stupidest argument I've every seen comparing an OS to buying a car.

Why do you take the RAM out? I've installed Vista 32 and 64 bit with 4 gigs of RAM. 9 hrs to update? Really? I install SP1 and all the latest patches within 1 -2 hrs max. SP2 will be out soon so even less time. And Ultimate is not just for the Ultimate Extra's, it's combining businness OS with Home OS. And it's not like you needed to purchase Ultimate.

When I had 680i......VIsta would not install with 4GB of ram installed. It's a known issue. Vista Update on the original release would sometimes sit there for hours saying it was downloading and installing. Literally hours.

If you don't have a Vista SP1 install, or at least have the network install burned to a disc somewhere, then you seriously fail.

Also, 9 hours? If it's because you're on dial-up and you know that SP1 is a large install, why the hell didn't you get the network install to begin with so you never had to download it again? Did you bitch about XP when SP1, SP2, or SP3 came out? What are you going to do with SP2 for Vista?

When I had 680i......VIsta would not install with 4GB of ram installed. It's a known issue. Vista Update on the original release would sometimes sit there for hours saying it was downloading and installing. Literally hours.

Yes, it's a known issue that was fix LONG before SP1 was released. Again, if you KNOW that your system has a certain problem, then it's your fault for not taking advantage of the fix that solves it.

Yea.

Hey show me the nearest Microsoft dealer where I can get some service for this Edsel I'm driving.

Get real. Thats the stupidest argument I've every seen comparing an OS to buying a car.

Your analogy is worse than my comparison. Doesn't even make sense.

To answer the OP, I'd say that Windows 7 is well worth it over Vista. That's just me though, so it's kind of pointless to get subjective opinions from different people. Depends on how much you like it and how much you're willing to pay for it. Nothing much else really.

Back