Even with Streaming Video, a Third of Americans Still Buy and Rent

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix hasn’t obsoleted the video store just yet. One-third of Americans still buy and rent videos, in addition to using streaming services like Netflix and YouTube, NPD Group found in its annual Entertainment Trends in America report. The research firm surveyed more than 7,000 members of its US online panel about their entertainment consumption during August 2017.

Overall, 54% of people surveyed said they still buy or rent video, but it’s not all DVDs and Blu-rays. Physical sales have plummeted compared to digital, data from the Digital Entertainment Group shows. Still, the US is still the world’s largest market for DVDs and Blu-rays, which explains why local video stores linger there, about a dozen Blockbuster Video stores are hanging on, and Netflix still has about 3.5 million customers who pay to rent DVDs by mail.

I don't even own a dvd player. Heck, I ripped all my dvd years ago and this build I didn't even install a dvd reader in my computer. Most laptops have not had dvd readers for years now.

You can pry my Blu Ray collection from my cold dead hands. I'll admit 4k streaming is starting to look good especially with HDR, but the downsides of dynamic quality change and data caps and internet outages make it second best only. Considering a 4k Blu Ray player now so I can finally get the real potential of my TV.

I've finally started building a physical movie collection this year. For right now though, it's 4K only unless I want a blu-ray and I'm extremely confident it won't see a 4K re-release. The difference between physical media and streaming is night and day. It blows my mind how much money people will spend on a nice TV, and then only watch streaming video on it.

I've finally started building a physical movie collection this year. For right now though, it's 4K only unless I want a blu-ray and I'm extremely confident it won't see a 4K re-release. The difference between physical media and streaming is night and day. It blows my mind how much money people will spend on a nice TV, and then only watch streaming video on it.
Surprisingly, if you have good equipment, Blu-ray looks really good with proper upconvert. Only select movies will be repurchased for 4k in my collection.

Why I buy physical:

Because I want the ability to play it anytime I want, not anytime those in charge of streaming allow me. That isn't to say I don't stream, I have a netflix and amazon prime sub. However some things don't come to those services very fast or even ever. Also I'm in the middle of building a home and the place where I am having to live while doing this process has shiternet. I'm lucky to stream a 15 minute youtube video without interruption, much less constant streaming with 4 people in the house.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Why I buy physical:

Because I want the ability to play it anytime I want, not anytime those in charge of streaming allow me. That isn't to say I don't stream, I have a netflix and amazon prime sub. However some things don't come to those services very fast or even ever. Also I'm in the middle of building a home and the place where I am having to live while doing this process has shiternet. I'm lucky to stream a 15 minute youtube video without interruption, much less constant streaming with 4 people in the house.

I will never bug another Blu Ray after this shit started:

http://www.playmybluray.com/1/

I came across one disc with this on it and I’m done with physical.

Surprisingly, if you have good equipment, Blu-ray looks really good with proper upconvert. Only select movies will be repurchased for 4k in my collection.

I agree that there are some really good Blu-Ray transfers that look great upscaled, but to me the defining difference is HDR. In most of the movies I've watched lately, I've appreciated that more than the 4k resolution. Some of them are jaw-droppingly good.

I buy all my blu-rays and rip them to my sever full quality. With having a 138inch 2.35:1 screen , 4k projector and 7.1.4 audio. Nothing streaming can touch the picture and sound that a disk brings. Picture is starting to get there, but for some reason every one seams to skimp on the audio. WIth Atmos and DTS:X , 3d audio. Streaming services are going to need to step it up. I know i'm in like the 5% of people that have dedicated rooms. But even then most like Netflix only stream in 5.1 crappy compressed. Heck last night me and my family sat down and watched White Christmas that was shot in 1954 on film. When I say that movie is sharp on blu-ray , man it's sharp. I have bought a few 4k's but only the ones with a true 4k DI as most are just up converts from a 2k DI. Which makes no sense when the movie was shot in 5k and 6k most of the time. Damn movie companies being cheap.

I'm not into streaming or having a company hold my stuff for me. I like having the DVD and playing it whether connected online or not. Companies having all your DVD's as digital DL's is a form of control ... over YOU. I know, many don't see it that way but it remains the truth none the less (possession is 9/10th the Law - why do you think MicroSoft only lets you 'borrow' their software? Control folks ...)

After net nuetrality goes away and blocking, throttling, data caps, and outright demands for payment to access specific websites becomes the new normal, physical media is going to play a larger role in how people watch movies and older tv again.

I have a pretty large blu-ray collection (around 280+ movies per plex), and I just started switching over to 4K. That said, I have no intentions of re-buying everything in 4K since most of it is just crappy upscaled copies of blu-ray material. Some are worth re-purchasing in 4K like the Batman Trilogy, Interstellar, and even the recent re-release of The Fifth Element which was originally shot in 4K.

I watch all of the new releases from the Redbox and I'll continue doing that for as long as they exist. And I have Netflix, but most of it is D list junk. The Netflix created content barely warrants the monthly fee (Stranger Things barely strange). There's also a DVDXpress box in the Albertsons market that sometimes has new releases earlier.

Last edited:
What is this?

Based on some quick googling, it looks like a copyright measure used in Fox Blu-Rays. It seems like the only people it affects are people attempting to play movies on a PC that does not have an internet connection. At which point it pops up with a message asking for an access code and sends you to that website. That code appears to be generated once daily.

I'm not sure what's it's supposed to be accomplishing, but it does seem that it only comes up in very limited circumstances that most people would never notice. At the end of the day, it's just another piece of DRM. DRM is a part of digital media these days, there's no getting around it (legally). Sure as hell won't stop me from buying movies.

Based on some quick googling, it looks like a copyright measure used in Fox Blu-Rays. It seems like the only people it affects are people attempting to play movies on a PC that does not have an internet connection. At which point it pops up with a message asking for an access code and sends you to that website. That code appears to be generated once daily.

I'm not sure what's it's supposed to be accomplishing, but it does seem that it only comes up in very limited circumstances that most people would never notice. At the end of the day, it's just another piece of DRM. DRM is a part of digital media these days, there's no getting around it (legally). Sure as hell won't stop me from buying movies.

When I ran into this, it came up on my PS4 which was connected to the internet. At which point I had to pull out my phone and get the code, then type it in. Felt overly aggressive for a paid Blu Ray, and if I was offline for whatever reason, I wouldn’t have been able to watch. If www.playmybluray.com gets turned off, users are just fucked with movies they can’t play? That’s bullshit and a bad move for physical media.

When I ran into this, it came up on my PS4 which was connected to the internet. At which point I had to pull out my phone and get the code, then type it in. Felt overly aggressive for a paid Blu Ray, and if I was offline for whatever, I wouldn’t have been able to watch. And if www.playmybluray.com gets turned off, users are just fucked with movies they can’t play. Allegedly it’s to prevent pre-release Blu Rays from being played and copied.

That is odd. I couldn't find any reports of it happening anywhere other than a PC, and the message that displays even says put it in a Blu Ray player or game console and you won't get the message. Do you have BD-Live disabled?

That is odd. I couldn't find any reports of it happening anywhere other than a PC, and the message that displays even says put it in a Blu Ray player or game console and you won't get the message. Do you have BD-Live disabled?

My PS4 is the only thing in my house that can play a Blu Ray, so it was definitely that. It’s possible I was using a work laptop or something at the time. I do believe I have BD Live disabled on my PS4 so I don’t have to watched new streaming trailers when I pop in movies, I’ll check next time I use my PS4.

Why not, all they release is remakes of old movies, may as well be on old media as well.

Dealing with buffering and having to depend on the internet just to watch a decent movie can be VERY frustrating. I lose my internet connection when using the microwave! lol
4K physical disc cannot be beat!

Streaming quality is rubbish, its a no brainer.
4K streaming quality is often worse than a 1080p disc.
And 1080p streaming is simply crap.
You only have to buy a disc once, you dont need to sign up to a money leeching low quality service.
You get a guarantee of quality, can play the disc any time you like and can loan it.
Oh and streaming audio quality/channel mix is a waste of a good sound system.

I cant imagine watching any of David Attenboroughs documentaries on streaming video, what a waste of quality video.

Last edited:
Streaming quality is rubbish, its a no brainer.
4K streaming quality is often worse than a 1080p disc.
And 1080p streaming is simply crap.
You only have to buy a disc once, you dont need to sign up to a money leeching low quality service.
You get a guarantee of quality, can play the disc any time you like and can loan it.

I cant imagine watching any of David Attenboroughs documentaries on streaming video, what a waste of quality video.

I would love to see Netflix an others offer better stream quality as a feature. The 1080P streams can look like crap and I have plenty of bandwidth to spare.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Do 1/3 of Americans even have a fast enough internet connection to stream? Seems like the numbers might be off here.

Netflix needs a "premium" service to rent newer movies, I don't know why they haven't figured it out yet. I'm on a disc + stream plan, but lately it seems the movies are at the Redbox ($2 a night for BR) months before Netflix.

I recent bought my mom $100 worth of VUDU creds so she can watch newer movies at home. Her DVD player broke and she has no Redbox anywhere near her. $6 a movie streamed vs $2 rented isn't a great deal, but what do you do if you can't rent physical anywhere, reverse argument true if you don't have good internet. Her internet is barely adequate for HD streaming, but it does work.

It took forever to get her off of VHS, she kept buying movies at swap meets/garage sales etc. It took a house disaster and flooding that ruined all her 100's of VHS tapes to break that habit. She's old and her vision isn't great, she can't tell the difference between VHS and BR anyway.

Convenience and price are the only benefits to streaming. Lower quality, less selection, less or no bonus features, dependent on fast internet, potential to lose access at any time. And these factors are amplified in Canada.

I'm a cinephile of sorts, and I have a large list of movies I want to see, mostly classic and niche titles of the kind often available ONLY from physical distributors such as Criterion (whose streaming service is not available in Canada, no surprise), Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, Warner Archive, and Disney Movie Club. Between Netflix, Redbox, Microsoft Films & TV, YouTube rentals (which I've had technical problems with), and even my local independent movie rental store, only a fraction of the stuff on my list is easily/cheaply obtainable. Heck, a few of them are still only available on VHS!

Sure wish I lived in Seattle. There's a joint there called Scarecrow Video that rents 95% of the movies on my list, including some of the VHS ones!

Last edited:
For me the appeal is with nicely designed Blu-Ray & 4k steelbooks, and cheap non-steelbooks with UV codes, that way, best of both. :) And Netflix is great too. :D

I own a lot of DVD's - I ripped these and they live on my Plex server now. Way more convenient. I haven't bought any BlueRay media yet - I've been getting my fill from streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc). However, not to say I won't buy any BlueRay discs in the future.
My PC has a BlueRay and I have a PS4 in the house that no one ever uses. I would want to rip the discs and have Plex serve them up - just way too easy and you don't have to worry about kids scratching up your discs, etc.

Unless it's in the Netflix rotation, streaming costs more. It's amazing how much bytes over a network cost.

When I ran into this, it came up on my PS4 which was connected to the internet. At which point I had to pull out my phone and get the code, then type it in. Felt overly aggressive for a paid Blu Ray, and if I was offline for whatever reason, I wouldn’t have been able to watch. If www.playmybluray.com gets turned off, users are just fucked with movies they can’t play? That’s bullshit and a bad move for physical media.

Can confirm it asked for that code on my PS4 and Xbox one.

It also asked for a code on my parents super old school stand alon BR player. The recommendation was to buy one that’s internet ready.

Happy to be a 1/3, however below is disturbing...

My PS4 is the only thing in my house that can play a Blu Ray, so it was definitely that. It’s possible I was using a work laptop or something at the time. I do believe I have BD Live disabled on my PS4 so I don’t have to watched new streaming trailers when I pop in movies, I’ll check next time I use my PS4.

Can confirm it asked for that code on my PS4 and Xbox one.

It also asked for a code on my parents super old school stand alon BR player. The recommendation was to buy one that’s internet ready.

If I buy a legal BR and put it in my legal BR device to play, I should not and will not accept a need to 'phone home' on the internet to access and play said BR. This form of DRM (once fully adopted as it will be if FOX gets away with it) will be the death of physical media for me. What if I don't have internet access or simply don't fucking give a shit to phone into the mothership to watch my purchase, fuck that.
Thank you two for giving me the heads up on the current FOX media DRM scheme, I will avoid any purchase until the seas are clear of this crap (there will be backlash as it becomes more prominent, and we'll have another argument of "it's outrageous for legally purchased vs. you have internet anyway, just be a slave and agree". You just know if Disney sees this working for FOX, they are next to implement it.
People think I'm too cynical, but I keep getting proven right. For the record though, I'm just a skeptic about everything, but I'm cynical when it comes to money and power, it has served me well for a long time.

Happy to be a 1/3, however below is disturbing...

If I buy a legal BR and put it in my legal BR device to play, I should not and will not accept a need to 'phone home' on the internet to access and play said BR. This form of DRM (once fully adopted as it will be if FOX gets away with it) will be the death of physical media for me. What if I don't have internet access or simply don't fucking give a shit to phone into the mothership to watch my purchase, fuck that.
Thank you two for giving me the heads up on the current FOX media DRM scheme, I will avoid any purchase until the seas are clear of this crap (there will be backlash as it becomes more prominent, and we'll have another argument of "it's outrageous for legally purchased vs. you have internet anyway, just be a slave and agree". You just know if Disney sees this working for FOX, they are next to implement it.
People think I'm too cynical, but I keep getting proven right. For the record though, I'm just a skeptic about everything, but I'm cynical when it comes to money and power, it has served me well for a long time.
I’ve only seen it with two discs over the last few years but I probably rent/buy less than 10 movies a year. I can’t remember what movies they were even.

So I’m not saying it was a huge problem — but it seemed odd to me.

I’ve only seen it with two discs over the last few years but I probably rent/buy less than 10 movies a year. I can’t remember what movies they were even.

So I’m not saying it was a huge problem — but it seemed odd to me.

All they need is the consumer bend over traction and it will bloom rapidly. I haven't seen it yet, thankfully. As far as avoiding purchase comment, just going to be weary of FOX discs until and if it becomes prominent, thanks.

I made the switch back to physical media about a year ago. My internet isn't fast enough to support HD streaming for two people, and I honestly don't like the idea of my content being hosted in the cloud. You just never know when any given service is going belly up like so many other cloud services/devices seem to be doing. Besides, most physical copies come with a digital copy for those situations when you're away from home but still want to watch something. I call that a win/win.

i just started buying 4k movies, but only buy stuff that has replay value for me. I don't care what the movie is, DVD is unacceptable quality in my household. Blurays are so cheap now, i ditched my dvd collection a long time ago -- sold it to some movie rental place that i assume is now out of business. The difference from dvd to bluray is much bigger to me then bluray to 4k. I have two 55" 4k tvs and a epson 5010 projector. It does bother me that the 4k HDR movies are almost unwatchable on my projector. I am not ready to upgrade that.

With a good connection I have never noticed the quality of streaming to be unacceptable. For the last few years I had switched over to digital only but with 4k I am back to buying physical.

Back