Even Windows 8 early adopters prefer Windows 7 by two to one

Cool. I knew about the sad face, but I couldn't replicate it. Guess I need to try harder!

Fisher Price OS with 500 little colored squares all over the place is an elegant layout?
File manager with that asinine ribbon is efficient?
please be trolling

The ribbon has been proven over many years of research to be easier and more efficient than the menu strip. You simply cannot argue that.

I really don't mind the start screen either (just wish they would of kept 'Start' on the desktop emulator/mode, but the ribbon is horrendous. I understand that some people like it, but I prefered the 'neat and tidy' look of the old menu system.

The ribbon looks like the old menu took at shart all over the top of every window.

I'm a minimalist though. Less is more.

Ugh...when you minimize the ribbon explorer is actually MORE minimal in W8 than in W7.

How?! I've been trying to get that, but it's hard to crash. There used to be a registry entry you could enable that would force a crash, but I think it's been removed.

Try pulling out a RAM module while opening a large file in Photoshop. That ought to do it. :D

I would never go back to Win 7. Just using it on an older pc it feels so outdated. I never thought I'd get used to the new visual style in Win 8 but I have! And it does feel faster. Even little things like the Win 7 task manager now seem so primitive.

Cons -
- I despise Explorer just as much as I did before. I've always used an alternate file manager
- I haven't found many useful Metro apps, hopefully that'll change.
- Start screen is fine, but it's no more productive than the old menu.

I also plan to buy a Surface RT if its affordable.

The ribbon has been proven over many years of research to be easier and more efficient than the menu strip. You simply cannot argue that.

Ugh...when you minimize the ribbon explorer is actually MORE minimal in W8 than in W7.

Its easy to argue since not everybody likes it, wants to use it, or easier for everybody.

well... it's a subjective thing, there's no right or wrong IMHO. Some people like it, others hate it. I, and many many others, just don't agree that it's any easier to use or any more efficient than the menu bar. (unless you're talking about touch based navigation... which it was clearly designed for to some degree)

And un-minimized it still looks like the menu took a dump across the top of my screen. It reminds me of that old picture of an Internet Explorer window with 300 toolbars installed. It's just ugly and feels cluttered IMO

No it hasn't. That was for the Office ribbon which has about 10x more options than explorer. The day MS puts a ribbon in Visual Studio (which in some ways is their most important product since all devs use it) is the day we can say the ribbon has arrived.

If the ribbon was so clearly superior then every single product would have its menu replaced.

No it hasn't. That was for the Office ribbon which has about 10x more options than explorer. The day MS puts a ribbon in Visual Studio (which in some ways is their most important product since all devs use it) is the day we can say the ribbon has arrived.

If the ribbon was so clearly superior then every single product would have its menu replaced.

Could be the number of high usage options, I would venture a guess that the average Visual Studio user uses far more options than an explorer user, so a ribbon may not be as useful. Along with other factors, like visual studio users are less likely to need help discovering or remembering options. Just because something doesn't work in one situation, doesn't mean it doesn't work in others..

I would never go back to Win 7. Just using it on an older pc it feels so outdated. I never thought I'd get used to the new visual style in Win 8 but I have! And it does feel faster. Even little things like the Win 7 task manager now seem so primitive.

Cons -
- I despise Explorer just as much as I did before. I've always used an alternate file manager
- I haven't found many useful Metro apps, hopefully that'll change.
- Start screen is fine, but it's no more productive than the old menu.

I also plan to buy a Surface RT if its affordable.

What alternate file manager do you like with win 8?

yea in office 2007 the ribbon was hated by beta testers but sales said but its an enhancement and will boost sales.
IF its so great why are there 4+ companies charging $49+ to get rid of it and convert back to the old menus?
2012 is supposed to give you the option.
There is the key option....MS never believes in options for its customers.
They are F the customer give me money we deserve it.
And bringing out new os every year will make it for them???
I guess when you sit on your ass for so long they want to nickel and dime people to death.

2012 is supposed to give you the option

God I hope so. I'll be putting in an IT request ASAP to get it upgraded at work.

The ONLY people I can see finding Ribbon useful are people that had no idea how to use Office/etc in the first place. I really hope they do the same with windows 8 and other future windows software. I don't even care if it defaults to Ribbon, just give us the option to go back if we want. (sort of like MS did with Control Panel... give power users the option to see the classic layout and general users the stacked categories)

The ONLY people I can see finding Ribbon useful are people that had no idea how to use Office/etc in the first place.

Shit. Guess I'm a damn newbie with this I guess. I really like the ribbon. Took a while to get used to it, and I can't say I didn't hate it when it was first released, but it is a step up from the standard menu system once you become proficient with it. If you just try something for 15 minutes and cry about it instead of learning it (which is what you do in this industry - love it or hate it, you need to learn it), you'll find it irritating and for the stupid people.

Shit. Guess I'm a damn newbie with this I guess. I really like the ribbon.

there are obviously exceptions (hell, I'm sure some techies enjoyed MS Bob as well lol), but in general, that's exactly who it was designed for.

The ONLY people I can see finding Ribbon useful are people that had no idea how to use Office/etc in the first place.

Any given day I have 20-30 applications open to do my job from simple things like notepad to fairly complex tools (Xilinx, Studio, Solid Works, etc). I don't have the time nor the desire to memorize every single feature of a tool and know where it is; it would be retarded to do so. However, having tools that easy to navigate through are worth their weight in gold. When office 10 came out...it was a breath of fresh air. Finally all the features I would need to use were easy to find and use.

My first word processor was word perfect on dos 6.x. I've gone through the evolution. While things like office 2000 were great for power users (who were mostly just monkeys who had gone through the repetition a billion times) they were completely and totally unfriendly to everyone else regardless of education or knowledge.

well.. other thing is that are tons of stuff to solve any of the peoples complaints here

You mean like sticking with 7? :cool:

I've tried using Win8 several times in a VM; doesn't last long.
Server 2012 is more appealing to me than Win8, but I'm not going to use that either.

What alternate file manager do you like with win 8?

Sorry saw this just now. I use xplorer2 (zabkat.com). Once I got used to the many shortcuts and the advantages of a dual pane file manager, its impossible to go back.

I just hate that I can't simply hit the start button on my keyboard type in system or network and go straight to network options like I could in windows 7 and vista. It now only searches programs. Theres also just this disconnect between metro and the regular UI. The transition between the two is jarring. It doesn't feel properly integrated.

I like the ribbon explored and all the desktop features they added. I like the ribbon in office 2007 as well I just don't think metro is ready for the desktop. I liked vista when it came out as well. I am open minded, windows 8 is just not consistent and disorganized.

Last edited:
I just hate that I can't simply hit the start button on my keyboard type in system or network and go straight to network options like I could in windows 7 and vista. It now only searches programs.
Annoyingly, there's a new shortcut for that, which is Win + S if I'm not mistaken.

Theres also just this disconnect between metro and the regular UI. The transition between the two is jarring. It doesn't feel properly integrated.
You aren't alone. Even Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen feels similarly.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Windows 8 is impeccable. At least I know I'm not. However, many folks do seem to think it's a train wreck and I do disagree with that.

Windows 8 is kind of an oddity because in some ways, most notably the desktop, it's simply a further evolution of the good old Windows that has been around for years, while in other ways it's the most radical rethinking of an interface since Microsoft brought out Windows 1.0.

It's new, it's different, it forces you to break some long standing habits. Yet as a tool for getting things done it still works and works well. Warts and all, I would still choose Windows 8, without hesitation, over either MacOS or Linux.

You mean like sticking with 7? :cool:

I've tried using Win8 several times in a VM; doesn't last long.
Server 2012 is more appealing to me than Win8, but I'm not going to use that either.

dont quote me bro! im done! im all fucking happy with this shit! use what you like! :D

I use Win 7 at work and at home. I will spin up a win 8 VM in virtual box to mess around, but I have no intentions of switching anytime soon.

Theres also just this disconnect between metro and the regular UI. The transition between the two is jarring. It doesn't feel properly integrated.

About my only "complaint" is this. Not bad, but it needs more refinement.

I'm trying to get used to Win 8 and I think it should go pretty quickly. Is there a way to change the mouse hotspot that triggers the charm bar? I have dual monitors so it's annoying to have to precisely move my mouse to the top right of the left (main) monitor, since it will just slide right over into my second monitor.

I've just been getting used to win+c, but I figured there might be another way.

I'm trying to get used to Win 8 and I think it should go pretty quickly. Is there a way to change the mouse hotspot that triggers the charm bar? I have dual monitors so it's annoying to have to precisely move my mouse to the top right of the left (main) monitor, since it will just slide right over into my second monitor.

I don't think there's anyway to change this but the mouse does "stick" in the corner of multiple monitor setups, it helps to slide the mouse from the top into the corner. It's not perfect but not bad when you get the hang of it. But the biggest deficiency in Metro is multiple monitor support, that's something that I hope Microsoft will try to improve as quickly as possible.

I was trying to figure out something to make the dual monitor use better with the metro hot spots, there are programs that lock the mouse to one screen until a hotkey is pressed, and I tried that option, and it worked. But what I ended up with, is just raising the second monitor in the screen resolution dialog, so that the bottom of the second monitor is about half-way to the top of the first monitor, so when I slide to the side of the monitor near the bottom half, it will not spill over to the second monitor..I don't game or span programs across two monitors, so that's probably not an option if you do, but if not then it works good.

Back