Even Windows 8 early adopters prefer Windows 7 by two to one

I'm not one of them. Metro works fine, I got a start menu, it's lighter, faster and has reworked long outdated parts of the OS finally, i'm good.

I have a few annoyances with Windows 8. But, my annoyances with Windows 7 were just as valid (and some still are). I'd rather go with 8 than stick with 7.

I imagine that many of the people who hate it do so because of the radical change to it. People by nature are weary of new things. I felt the same way about Windows XP and stuck to the classic theme for a week or so before I said: "Fuck it, let's try this thing the way it was intended and we'll see how it goes." I never went back to the classic mode again.

I imagine that many of the people who hate it do so because of the radical change to it. People by nature are weary of new things. I felt the same way about Windows XP and stuck to the classic theme for a week or so before I said: "Fuck it, let's try this thing the way it was intended and we'll see how it goes." I never went back to the classic mode again.

It looks different, but it acts different, too. I was on desktop then changed to my email then it went to Metro... Now, I have to click start, desktop just to see my task bar which has my other applications on it.... And blinking task bar icons when they get updated is helpful... Those are two of my complaints. Not major, not a deal breaker and easy to work around, but still annoyances. I really like the new looks. And, it works great on a phone or tablet. Just with a massive multitasking environment like on a desktop, it's not the most efficient way after using Windows 7 and earlier.

i've been using it since launch (msdn) and you gotta feel sorry for this 7 Joes, win8 is a far cry from that horrendous ridiculous idiotic monkey-coded crap of a OS that made me even go back to linux, its another world, its windows 14 compared to 7, like back to XP days, fast and efficient, with an overall elegant layout, sure they changed the start menu, so fucking what? at least its not like the whole OS offend you by screaming "immah retard" throughout the whole OS like 7 did..

I'm going to post here what I posted in a different thread on the exact same article.

You should read into it further:

Their list of weaknesses in Windows 8 started with price: 35% followed by system requirements: 26%; incompatibility 25%; Windows freezes 20%; and only then does the interface show up with 18%.. A close reading of the forum's messages find that their members really do feel that Windows 8 will be over-priced and they're finding lots of hardware driver and software incompatibility problems.

Less than 1 in 5 really dislike the UI. The Windows 8 haters are all proclaiming that the UI is what is going to make Windows 8 fail. 1 in 5 don't like it, and these are the early adopters that care about such things. The general public just takes whatever is given to them as long as it works for them, so the impact of the UI on Windows 8 sales is most likely much less. Equating Linux to Windows here doesn't really work, as only power users really use Linux.

Edit: Looking further into it, it is very misleading. Clicking on one of the links takes me to another article, which showed only 26% of the poll's respondents actually used Windows 8.

Basically, if only 26% of the respondents actually used Windows 8, and 25% responded they preferred Windows 8, that actually seems favorable for Windows 8, doesn't it? Haters are saying that the vast majority of people that use Windows 8 is going to hate it, that clearly does not seem to be the case.

Here are the complete survey results.

Here's a link to the survey form. You can see how its laid out.

Sensationalist article taking results out of context.

Thing is, I don't mind the price. Especially if you upgrade early. $40. Can't beat that. System requirements? Really? That's an issue? Wow. Hard to please some people. Incompatibility. With what? DOS programs? It runs everything Win7 runs. Seriously, not an issue. Freezes? Never happened on me. And I've really been trying to crash the thing. Never froze once. And I've even really screwed with the registry, too. Interface? Ok, a little. Not enough to say it's a weakness, though. I prefer Windows 8. I really like Windows 7, though. But, 8 is a step up.

I'm going to post here what I posted in a different thread on the exact same article.

Sensationalist article taking results out of context.

maybe.. the thing is that i really dont care, if people wants to use 7 forever, so be it, i really dont give a damn, for me it was three years of hell having to use that shit (i skipped vista), even if i ended up only using it for games, it created in me disgust of microsoft as a whole because of it, but.. well, now D4rkn3ss is happy with computer, again. ;)

maybe.. the thing is that i really dont care, if people wants to use 7 forever, so be it, i really dont give a damn, for me it was three years of hell having to use that shit (i skipped vista), even if i ended up only using it for games, it created in me disgust of microsoft as a whole because of it, but.. well, now D4rkn3ss is happy with computer, again. ;)

Well, I was posting in response to someone bring up Linux along with the article, it doesn't mean anything here since it's out of context ;)

Once you figure out how to navigate around Windows 8, you realize it's just like Windows 7 but with the Start menu having a totally dedicated area to itself.

I rarely even use the Start screen. I have my Start screen customized with the apps I use and some more commonly-used programs pinned to the task bar. It's really like I'm using Windows 7 except with the awesome ability to span wallpaper AND span the task bar across monitors. heh

- Customize the Start screen by right-clicking shortcuts and selecting to remove the junk you don't want to see. Can also pin stuff and arrange it in groups.
- In the Start screen, press the space bar and click "All apps" to see everything else installed.
- In the Desktop, move your mouse to the top corned and down the edge of your screen to bring up another toolbar.

Basically, you need to accept that the Start screen is a full-screen Start menu. Until more apps use the new interface style you're going to be using the Desktop like you were in Windows 7.

Once you figure out how to navigate around Windows 8, you realize it's just like Windows 7 but with the Start menu having a totally dedicated area to itself.

I rarely even use the Start screen. I have my Start screen customized with the apps I use and some more commonly-used programs pinned to the task bar. It's really like I'm using Windows 7 except with the awesome ability to span wallpaper AND span the task bar across monitors. heh

- Customize the Start screen by right-clicking shortcuts and selecting to remove the junk you don't want to see. Can also pin stuff and arrange it in groups.
- In the Start screen, press the space bar and click "All apps" to see everything else installed.
- In the Desktop, move your mouse to the top corned and down the edge of your screen to bring up another toolbar.

Basically, you need to accept that the Start screen is a full-screen Start menu. Until more apps use the new interface style you're going to be using the Desktop like you were in Windows 7.

its the same thing, click on the lower left to access the menu, the only difference is the size, now its a BIG start menu and it also works with touch if youre into that kind of thing lol.

As someone else mentioned, wouldn't it be awesome if we had a small touchscreen monitor dedicated to the start menu only? Place it right in front of the mouse or keyboard, all applications at the touch of your fingertips.

i've been using it since launch (msdn) and you gotta feel sorry for this 7 Joes, win8 is a far cry from that horrendous ridiculous idiotic monkey-coded crap of a OS that made me even go back to linux, its another world, its windows 14 compared to 7, like back to XP days, fast and efficient, with an overall elegant layout, sure they changed the start menu, so fucking what? at least its not like the whole OS offend you by screaming "immah retard" throughout the whole OS like 7 did..

I don't get this thinking. We have all this graphics power, why does the whole OS have to look like a web page from 1995?

I don't get this thinking. We have all this graphics power, why does the whole OS have to look like a web page from 1995?

metro should be just another windows option to activate or deactivate but it isnt, and is quite fast to get used to. the thing is that is not just that, the whole OS is more efficient, fast and clean, is elegant.

Fisher Price OS with 500 little colored squares all over the place is an elegant layout?
File manager with that asinine ribbon is efficient?
please be trolling

Fisher Price OS with 500 little colored squares all over the place is an elegant layout?
please be trolling

go use 7 forever then, why should i care? ;)

please be trolling

It's more elegant to have 500 pictures of little things around your house and office, in the OS? Yea, looks more elegant to me this way, I'm really appreciative of the less-visual complexity UI. It's all a matter of opinion though, so seems weird to argue about. Either way, somebody's not going to be happy, not sure how you aim to fix that. Don't see how the ribbon is asinine either, seems perfectly acceptable to me, and if you don't like it you can collapse it.

please be trolling

I see one guy here that's doing the trolling.
And it's not D4rkn3ss...

But the difference for me with Win 8 is the fact that I may have hated changes to the OS, As like going from win 3.11 to Win 95, I did it and eventually I got to like it.

With Win 8, I installed it, used it for a few days, and got rid of it and went back to Win 7. I simply didn't see anything useful with win 8 to even make the effort to stay with it.

Been using 8 for about 3 weeks now. It will be a better OS than 7 I have no doubt about that. While I don't particularly care for the visual styling it doesn't offend me. The start screen and sidebar is a minor annoyance that you get use to. For me it just doesn't flow as well as having the start menu. I've barely played with apps but they seem wonky at best currently (no way to easily exit on a few, actions not registering properly, etc.). I've had several crashes and hung threads that eat up CPU and even some bug that paged out all my active RAM once which was odd. I'm going to say 8 SP1 will be better than 7especially if the apps evolve nicely. I definitely don't see businesses eating it up and rushing to replace/update their 7 machines. I hope it works long term but for the short term I do think Microsoft is going to suffer unless the surface and their partner's tablets come out at a really good price point and the apps take off REALLY quickly.

please be trolling

The start screen looks fine.

The ribbon on explorer is a great change, faster to find and get to functions I use.

Not trolling.

I use windows classic theme on 7 anyways. Only way I will use 8 if there are large increases in performance and I can use the most basic style.

It's hard to argue with a post so eloquently written....

Windows 7 runs great! Not sure what problems you had with it, but drivers and all are awesome. Kids ran it fine also.

The start screen looks fine.

The ribbon on explorer is a great change, faster to find and get to functions I use.

Not trolling.

I really don't mind the start screen either (just wish they would of kept 'Start' on the desktop emulator/mode, but the ribbon is horrendous. I understand that some people like it, but I prefered the 'neat and tidy' look of the old menu system.

The ribbon looks like the old menu took at shart all over the top of every window.

I'm a minimalist though. Less is more.

I like windows 8. It will be nice when you can put your games and stuff on that start screen.
I won't be jumping to it from 7, but I don't see any huge problems.
I didn't really mind vista all that much in the first place. I only upgraded to 7 b/c I built a few computers and picked up a bundle license.

I love the Windows 8 Desktop changes, I don't mind the lack of chrome, I think it's much cleaner and snappier, and am not at all bothered by the ribbon. I'm just not a fan of the Metro side, at all.

I'll probably get a cheap copy from MSDN and use it. It is fine for what I do with it (play some games, maybe even a bit of a performance gain) but for serious work I'll stick to OSX. I was fine with Win7 for work but not Win8.

Windows 7 runs great! Not sure what problems you had with it, but drivers and all are awesome. Kids ran it fine also.

"drivers and all are awesome".. "Kids ran it fine also"...

im not an "average" user bro, i dont like to brag myself but heres one of my last posts, maybe will give you an idea: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039203024&postcount=19 . the truth is that im actually not interested in what the average user and fucking children thinks about it, they all fucking love windows 7 for all i care.

@Blue Falcon: yes D4rkn3ss is moody creature.

well.. other thing is that are tons of stuff to solve any of the peoples complaints here, some of you guys should learn to use google or something.. try the windows 8 section of forums.mydigitallife.info for example, im just waiting the official release date to completely disable metro and use a normal start menu, no biggie either way, for now is entertaining.

well.. other thing is that are tons of stuff to solve any of the peoples complaints here, some of you guys should learn to use google or something.. try the windows 8 section of forums.mydigitallife.info for example, im just waiting the official release date to completely disable metro and use a normal start menu, no biggie either way, for now is entertaining.

I'll give it a fair shot when it releases.

Yeah, dont like the metro, but the speed is good. I like that win 7 drivers work, like for 2008 server.
I was just able to crash windows 8 but didnt get the bsod, i got a frown face saying windows had an error and has to reboot. hehe

I was just able to crash windows 8 but didnt get the bsod, i got a frown face saying windows had an error and has to reboot. hehe

How?! I've been trying to get that, but it's hard to crash. There used to be a registry entry you could enable that would force a crash, but I think it's been removed.

How?! I've been trying to get that, but it's hard to crash. There used to be a registry entry you could enable that would force a crash, but I think it's been removed.

I clicked on my computer, network, clicked on a 15gb movie file from a shared drive.
It opened windows media, sat there, i tried to close, wouldnt close down, so i manually closed it.
I clicked on my computer and it sat there trying to find the drives and such, so I had to close that down. Thats when it went blank, and came up with the sad face. It was pretty funny though.

Back