Even if the 10 gb 3080 is available, I'll wait

MelonSplitter

[H]ard|Gawd
I guess I just got fed up with all the hype, acting like a crackhead, chatter and scouring the net for any news related to a possible release or sighting of a 3080 only to be let down by the dreaded "out of stock" or "sold out" screen. Even if I do happen to see one in stock somewhere, I'll pass. My 2080 super will tide me over until these cards become widespread. It would be nice to get a 3080 20gb later on down the line anyway.

Yep, initially wanted to get the 3080 FE but with all the growing pains glad I was not able to get one. In addition the 10gb model would never really be what I would want, the 20gb model would be much better if they ever appear and depending upon price. As for AIB, looks like ASUS is the only one I would consider at this time except I prefer the 2 slot 3080 FE over any AIB model to prevent blocking a pcie slot. I am hoping AMD will have a viable good solution, 16gb to me would be in the sweat spot for vram, 2 slot, good performance at a good price and most importantly a card that is stable, usable and will last 3-5 years.

It would be interesting to see how much the 20 GB models go for, but people keep speculating it'll be around $1k, and for that price I'm not interested. I could just put the extra $250-300 toward a new GPU in a couple of years when >10GB VRAM might actually matter.

If I had a 2080 Super I probably wouldn't bother, but I am still on the OG 1080 so for me it would be a significant improvement. Plus I would like to get a rig built before Cyberpunk which is mostly what I care about, plus being able to run VR better on the Index.

If I don't pick up a 6900XT I may wait for a 3080Ti... you know it's coming, right? Even if neither are in the cards for me my 2080TI will last gaming 1440p until 4080's. The days of every new flagship iteration has passed me by.

It would be interesting to see how much the 20 GB models go for, but people keep speculating it'll be around $1k, and for that price I'm not interested. I could just put the extra $250-300 toward a new GPU in a couple of years when >10GB VRAM might actually matter.

If I had a 2080 Super I probably wouldn't bother, but I am still on the OG 1080 so for me it would be a significant improvement. Plus I would like to get a rig built before Cyberpunk which is mostly what I care about, plus being able to run VR better on the Index.
I would assume no less then $200 premium over the 10gb.

I would assume no less then $200 premium over the 10gb.

$899 for FE would be my exact guess and more for quality AIB cards. For example ASUS Strix 20 GB would probably easily command $1000+. Once you reach $1000, it blurs the line between the 20 GB 3080 and 3090 and IMO you'd be better off with a 3090.

Reactions: noko
like this
I'm glad Zen 3 forced me to wait in terms of buying a new GPU...I might have been one of the unlucky ones who got a gimped 3080 at launch

$899 for FE would be my exact guess and more for quality AIB cards. For example ASUS Strix 20 GB would probably easily command $1000+. Once you reach $1000, it blurs the line between the 20 GB 3080 and 3090 and IMO you'd be better off with a 3090.
I believe Nvidia said they will not be a 3080 20gb FE. They are leaving it upto AiB partners.

I believe Nvidia said they will not be a 3080 20gb FE. They are leaving it upto AiB partners.
That is not encouraging but should be some good choices by then, just the price may make those not worth it.

No, they aren't going to make enough money off of it. They already released the FE for the initial benchmarks, they don't plan to make maybe more in general would be my guess ;).

Nvidia hasn't (publicly) said anything at all. Nobody has.

The 20GB rumor started with the MLID article. The claim was that Nvidia priced the 10GB FE below their typical margin, and that they will not have a 20GB FE so that they can blame the significant increase in price on their AIB partners and continue to play the part of the hero for the price/performance offered by the $699 10GB model. The first actual acknowledgement of a 20GB model came from Gigabyte, who accidentally listed 20GB variants in a list of SKU's on their website. The second came from a leaked internal slide from Galax, showing a 20GB 3080, a 3060, and another unidentified SKU presumed to be a 3070 Ti. Thus far, this is ALL we have regarding a 20GB model. There has been no official, public acknowledgement that a 20GB 3080 exists. I would expect that to come after the 3070 launches. Probably either just before, or just after, AMD hold's it's Big Navi event.

That said, I believe the MLID rumor is probably accurate. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 20GB cards launching at $1,000, sans FE model. This will net the higher margins that everyone has come to expect, while not making Nvidia look like the bad guy for turning the "real" 3080 into a $1,000 card. It would also give a (perceived) legitimacy to the egregious price of the 3090.

I'll check back in around January and see about picking up a 3080 then.

Back