Even A Three Year Old Can Use Windows 8

Read what i wrote again, you completely misread it.

No, I think he deliberately ignored it. Due to the sheer volume of heatlesssun's posting on Win8 I decided to type his name into a search and quickly learned that if it's new and from Microsoft, he's been out there on the internet for years now pimping it and doing his best to counter any opinions that differ with his. I also learned that he's the top poster here in the last week with 176 posts at the time I checked.

IMO, this isn't opinion we are getting, it's an agenda. :rolleyes:

No, I think he deliberately ignored it. Due to the sheer volume of heatlesssun's posting on Win8 I decided to type his name into a search and quickly learned that if it's new and from Microsoft, he's been out there on the internet for years now pimping it and doing his best to counter any opinions that differ with his. I also learned that he's the top poster here in the last week with 176 posts at the time I checked.

IMO, this isn't opinion we are getting, it's an agenda. :rolleyes:

If I missed something that he said then just point it out.

If you're so familiar with my posting history you should know I've said many times that I make a living with Microsoft tools and technology. I have a lot of this stuff and so I talk about it. Hell I was just posting in the thread about the new Windows 8 driver for the Touch Mouse and I was the only one who posted in the thread that even had the mouse running with the new drivers under Windows 8. To point fingers at me because I actually use stuff I'm talking about is just ridiculous hypocritical nonsense.

I seriously hope they add a toggle to Windows 8 to change to the oldschool UI at some point, if for no other reason than to shut the fannyflustered stuck-in-their-way old men the fuck up. Seriously, every thread even remotely related to Windows 8 has had the same rectum-ravaged crybabies whining about the same shit since it was released. In the interest of not getting banned, I don't want to say you guys are retarded but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

I'm 24. I've been using Windows since I was 5. That's 19 years of Windows usage. It took me around 10 minutes of playing around with Windows 8 RC to figure out everything worked pretty much as it has in past iterations (with the exception of Metro). If there is anything I would bitch and moan about, it's the fact that the functionality for shutting down my computer takes a few more clicks than it did before but you know what? It's not that big of a fucking deal.

If you're so familiar with my posting history you should know I've said many times that I make a living with Microsoft tools and technology. I have a lot of this stuff and so I talk about it. Hell I was just posting in the thread about the new Windows 8 driver for the Touch Mouse and I was the only one who posted in the thread that even had the mouse running with the new drivers under Windows 8. To point fingers at me because I actually use stuff I'm talking about is just ridiculous hypocritical nonsense.

So it means that you like it. +1
Trying to convince everybody that its the best thing next to sliced bread. -1

People are going to like it, hate it, use it, not use it, etc. They try it, and dont like it, who gives a flying you know what really. rofl

Another thought. It's pretty funny that people are calling the W8 UI dumbed down. News flash: GUIs are inherently dumbed down, especially the Windows UI or did you guys forget about the fact that every version of Windows since XP has been cutesy colorful Fisher Price crap with big retard-friendly buttons? If you were interested in a non-dumbed-down PC experience, you'd be using something like Unix with no GUI at all.

Here's what I got out of my first hour of use. I really am giving it an honest run. :(

me! said:
- Shutdown is buried.

- No split screen windows for Modern UI (50% left/right, Win+left/right arrow). It's that forced 80/20 crap.

- Not multi-monitor friendly. I don't know anybody personally that uses less than two screens. I use 3 at home and 4 at work. My nearest friend uses two and all of my other friends back in my home town use 2+ as well. My wife even uses two, and has asked for a 3rd but her desk is not big enough. So basically that hot corner stuff is fucking shit.

- If you open a browser in Modern UI, it does not carry over to the desktop. So it's harder to work between the Desktop and Modern UI.

- Double distance to close an app, click at top, drag to bottom. Instead of click X or double click the top left context menu button. Alt+F4 still works luckily.

- Deleting an icon from the UI (unpin) is right click then go to the bottom of the screen to delete. Instead of the delete right within a few inches. This adds up over time, not the end of the world though.

- When you do a full listing of Apps in the Modern UI, you can't drag and drop the icons to move them. You need to go the following folder in on the desktop to modify that stuff. Which is retarded...
C:\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\

- When in an explorer window, you can hit Alt to bring up the context menu to get to the folder options. They moved it to "View > Options" in that Office style bar. That's not to bad, took about 10 seconds to find. But why trash the contenxt menus by hitting alt?

- Modern UI search does not search files the same way your start menu on the old desktop search did.

Biggest complaint is no start menu, but that's because all of the other stuff above broken in the "Modern UI." This would not be a big problem, if the Modern UI was not busted to hell for people who "really use their system." :)

If you have MS approved fixes/tweaks to fix those issues, I'm extremely open to them please! I would like to think they put some actual effort into this thing. :(

yujhY.jpg

So it means that you like it. +1
Trying to convince everybody that its the best thing next to sliced bread. -1

People are going to like it, hate it, use it, not use it, etc. They try it, and dont like it, who gives a flying you know what really. rofl

I'm not trying to convince anyone to like Windows 8, but there's a metric ton of ridiculous nonsense posted about Windows 8 that's either random spoutings of people that haven't tried something or don't understand how things work.

How can people that go on and on about how much it sucks really understand it well? If I thought it sucked this much I know I wouldn't use it. Everything being harder to do, three times more clicks, big ugly blocks, etc. really, how can these people know anything about Windows 8 before throwing it of the damned window if it sucks that much?

Just having the stuff doesn't make you an authority on it, nor does it make you right if you think someone disagrees with your opinion about it. Opinions are one thing but dismissing the opinions of others while using the uninformed opinions of some to broad-brush everyone who has an opinion that is counter to yours is downright irritating to see as it happens constantly. I know you have stated that you make your living using Microsoft products. So do many other people, myself included, which should indicate to you that your opinion isn't any more valid than ours.

If I thought it sucked this much I know I wouldn't use it.

Yes you would. IMO, if Microsoft put a USB cable on a turd you would be in here telling us how easy it is to use and how much it improves your productivity.

Just having the stuff doesn't make you an authority on it, nor does it make you right if you think someone disagrees with your opinion about it.

Right, I spent hours setting all this this up not to spend MANY more hours learning it. The WHOLE point of Windows 8 is to use hardware and input methods that few Windows users have even seen. One can form an opinion, but half-assed opinions based on a few hours using the same old hardware simply don't represent enough effort to have a lot of meaning.

Opinions are one thing but dismissing the opinions of others while using the uninformed opinions of some to broad-brush everyone who has an opinion that is counter to yours is downright irritating to see as it happens constantly. I know you have stated that you make your living using Microsoft products. So do many other people, myself included, which should indicate to you that your opinion isn't any more valid than ours.

Playtime is over, Windows 8 launches in 3 days. Opinions are fine but what do people know about the product? Is all you got (I don't mean you personally) "Windows 8 sucks!" Can you actually talk factually about the product, help people efficiently and effectively with questions or just bitch about it?

And you took the bait. :)

Well with the way some of you guys go on and on about how Windows 8 is such a Playschool OS it wouldn't surprise me if some around here actually believe that nonsense and don't realize that it can multitask like Windows 7, even on a tablet.

There's a whole lot of nonsense people around here are spreading and its creating a hell of a lot of FUD about the true nature of Windows 8. So much time is spent on blasting the new UI that nothing else is mentioned much.

There's a whole lot of nonsense people around here are spreading and its creating a hell of a lot of FUD about the true nature of Windows 8. So much time is spent on blasting the new UI that nothing else is mentioned much.

I did post a list of my first hour notes a few posts back... It outlines pretty big faults, I haven't even continued adding the rest of the stuff to that list. It continues to baffle me how this made it to launch.

I'm still assuming they did their market research and this is what people think they want. Because the better action plan that you'd normally think would be to improve the Win7 core and made the UI optional with this particular version forced on tablets as the core. Everybody wins?

Right, I spent hours setting all this this up not to spend MANY more hours learning it. The WHOLE point of Windows 8 is to use hardware and input methods that few Windows users have even seen. One can form an opinion, but half-assed opinions based on a few hours using the same old hardware simply don't represent enough effort to have a lot of meaning.

I spend plenty of time setting up and testing hardware and guess what? My opinion is still no better than that of another who is equally knowledgeable. You don't need to buy a damned touch mouse to know that it's impractical for desktop use. You then counter that argument with the fact that you have something like three mice connected to one of your computers and I'm here thinking 'Who in the fuck runs three mice?!' Regarding the "WHOLE point" of Win8, it's to put the Metro Store front and center in an effort to monetize the desktop and funnel money and control to Microsoft. The touch input methods are a sideshow that attempts to turn a desktop into a tablet for the amusement of fools by making them think that it will make Win8 an even better experience for them.

Playtime is over, Windows 8 launches in 3 days. Opinions are fine but what do people know about the product? Is all you got (I don't mean you personally) "Windows 8 sucks!" Can you actually talk factually about the product, help people efficiently and effectively with questions or just bitch about it?

I talk factually, deal with and assist customers with their computer problems every workday without letting my opinions get in the way of it, it's my business and how I make my living. I do my bitching here.

You're not a customer. :D

I can't wait for tech support calls. Imagine walking them through certain tasks.

You're now gonna tell them put your mouse on the top left corner of the screen and leave it there for 2-3, seconds and something will magically appear on the side.

This is going to be a blast! Most of the people on this forum are COMPUTER LITERATE. Meaning they can figure shit out easily enough. Supporting end users is going to be a pain in the ball sack if you deploy this on any sort of large scale. Also make sure you disable the fancy flip and fold around bullshit overkill UI when you remote into it. Because that won't be wasteful.

It's pretty, it's fast, it's not practical.

I did post a list of my first hour notes a few posts back... It outlines pretty big faults, I haven't even continued adding the rest of the stuff to that list. It continues to baffle me how this made it to launch.

I scanned through this thread and the only thing I saw you say about Windows 8 is how the UI was watered down, whatever that means exactly.

I'm still assuming they did their market research and this is what people think they want. Because the better action plan that you'd normally think would be to improve the Win7 core and made the UI optional with this particular version forced on tablets as the core. Everybody wins?

A switch would have appeased some people but it would have destroyed confidence in Metro app development. Incremental improvements to the desktop don't mean much in a market that saturated with desktops, a market that Microsoft dominates and is more danger from tablets than it is competition in the desktop space. It needs a mobile ecosystem FAR more than appeasing desktop folks that are often blowing things out proportion.

Watered down UI? Perhaps, whatever that means specifically. However all the same programs run. You now have apps for touch devices and they can run on desktops with keyboards and mice. You now have hybrid tablet/laptop/desktop devices that can run that desktop software on tablets though that's not new.

Watered down with all of the same capabilities to run the same programs and a whole new generation of lightweight apps. The Playschool argument isn't that strong in that reality.

Try doing that in Metro...

Not you can't do the 50/50 split with Metro apps. But here's the thing, you CAN do this on a Windows RT device. People are forgetting that every Windows RT device comes with Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, five of the most use desktop apps on the planet. I bet it would be astonishing just how much of people time on a Windows desktop is spent in just those five applications. Windows 8/RT devices are not just tablets or desktops, they are both simultaneously. I really don't think people really understand what that means.

Not you can't do the 50/50 split with Metro apps. But here's the thing, you CAN do this on a Windows RT device. People are forgetting that every Windows RT device comes with Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote, five of the most use desktop apps on the planet. I bet it would be astonishing just how much of people time on a Windows desktop is spent in just those five applications. Windows 8/RT devices are not just tablets or desktops, they are both simultaneously. I really don't think people really understand what that means.

What does an RT device having this ability have to do with the fact that the problem being discussed is that you can't do this with desktop Metro?

Oh, right... the sales pitch. Gotcha.

The fact that Microsoft had to create an entire separate interface interface for what amounts to a handful of applications is telling of the flaws in Metro.

I'm sorry but Android makes a better tablet (it doesn't require an entirely separate interface paradigm for a smattering of applications) and Windows 7 and GNU/Linux make a better desktop. Why would I want to compromise by using something that excels at neither?

I spend plenty of time setting up and testing hardware and guess what? My opinion is still no better than that of another who is equally knowledgeable. You don't need to buy a damned touch mouse to know that it's impractical for desktop use.

If you've never used a touch mouse, how would you KNOW this? The new drivers for the Touch Mouse make the thing totally practical on a Windows 8 desktop. I'm not saying that it's for everyone and it doesn't work well for gaming but for a standard work desktop running a web browser, Office and other standard desktop apps there's nothing impractical about it. I'll point out again, the scrolling on this thing works very well in a lot of apps, it's much improved over even over even the prior versions of the Windows 8 driver. Not perfect, but the solid scrolling and the momentum feature, yes, it's not at impractical and I've been pretty happy with it for the last four days.

You then counter that argument with the fact that you have something like three mice connected to one of your computers and I'm here thinking 'Who in the fuck runs three mice?!'

Because each mouse is different and I wanted to get a feel for what kinds of mice work best with Windows 8. Momentum mice greatly improve Start Screen navigation. In fact that's one thing that's cool about the Touch Mouse, the combination of momentum and the semantic zoom features beat the living snot out of standard notched scroll wheel mouse. You can only find these kind of subtle details by trying things. Yes, experience and experimentation do matter more than inexperienced opinion because you can't know devil of the details without trying.

Regarding the "WHOLE point" of Win8, it's to put the Metro Store front and center in an effort to monetize the desktop and funnel money and control to Microsoft. The touch input methods are a sideshow that attempts to turn a desktop into a tablet for the amusement of fools by making them think that it will make Win8 an even better experience for them.

I think it would difficult to create a tablet without a curated app store these days. People wouldn't have much confidence in a totally open app store with who knows that kinds of apps doing whatever they want. And talk about hypocrisy, you're siting there and telling me know how wrong I am about my opinion now. I've used Windows on touch devices for a about 4 years know. I've use a Windows 8 tablet every day. Yes, I get a lot of being about to write notes, read and even edit any kind of document I want, remote into my PCs, manage files on my network, play music, watch video, even code and debug on them, especially remotely from a desktop when working with Metro apps. All from a device that's 2 lbs. that can be used in ways laptops can't.

I talk factually, deal with and assist customers with their computer problems every workday without letting my opinions get in the way of it, it's my business and how I make my living. I do my bitching here.

You're not a customer. :D

Cool, still got to use something to know it and not constantly bitch about it if you want to understand.

What does an RT device having this ability have to do with the fact that the problem being discussed is that you can't do this with desktop Metro?

Oh, right... the sales pitch. Gotcha.

So now explaining what the technical capabilities of the OS is a sales pitch? So any mention of a fact about Windows 8 is a sales pitch and endless uninformative bitching is the unbiased truth? No, Metro isn't a windowing UI and at this point supports a on the snap and full views. That's why the desktop is still there, even in Metro. Metro at this point isn't meant to replace the desktop and why it's included even in RT.

How many people would have even known that traditional desktop windowing is possible in RT, at least with the included apps? Again so much focus on ONE thing in these threads and VERY little about the full capabilities of the OS and environment in total.

The fact that Microsoft had to create an entire separate interface interface for what amounts to a handful of applications is telling of the flaws in Metro.

The OS isn't even released and you're talking about a hand full of applications? Did anyone here count the number of apps in Google's stores before the launch of Android tablets? No. Heck, even now Android is just starting to get true tablet apps instead on phone apps in number.

So now explaining what the technical capabilities of the OS is a sales pitch? So any mention of a fact about Windows 8 is a sales pitch and endless uninformative bitching is the unbiased truth? No, Metro isn't a windowing UI and at this point supports a on the snap and full views. That's why the desktop is still there, even in Metro. Metro at this point isn't meant to replace the desktop and why it's included even in RT.

How many people would have even known that traditional desktop windowing is possible in RT, at least with the included apps? Again so much focus on ONE thing in these threads and VERY little about the full capabilities of the OS and environment in total.

People keep talking about the problems with desktop Metro and you keep talking about Metro on RT as if it's the solution. You keep saying that we don't understand when it's clear that you don't understand that many of us know damned well enough to make our own minds up without you telling us that we're wrong or broad-brushing us as a bunch of chickens who are afraid of change and idiots who can't figure out how to use Win 8. Yes I have tried touch and the whole idea is stupid. Even my customers who have bought a touch mouse are meh about them afterward. A good mouse does everything well and touch just doesn't, end of story. Features aside, if it limits your capabilities then it's a waste of money.

The discussion is about the problems with Metro in Win 8 on the desktop and not RT on the tablet. We KNOW that you love Metro on RT but that isn't what is being discussed.

People keep talking about the problems with desktop Metro and you keep talking about Metro on RT as if it's the solution. You keep saying that we don't understand when it's clear that you don't understand that many of us know damned well enough to make our own minds up without you telling us that we're wrong or broad-brushing us as a bunch of chickens who are afraid of change and idiots who can't figure out how to use Win 8. Yes I have tried touch and the whole idea is stupid. Even my customers who have bought a touch mouse are meh about them afterward. A good mouse does everything well and touch just doesn't, end of story. Features aside, if it limits your capabilities then it's a waste of money.

The discussion is about the problems with Metro in Win 8 on the desktop and not RT on the tablet. We KNOW that you love Metro on RT but that isn't what is being discussed.

It's not that I love Metro, but if you use Windows on touch devices you begin to APPRECIATE Metro. Of course there are tablet and phone elements in Metro, and not all of those elements are comfortable to desktop only users. And yes things can be improved but people keep talking about all of these zillions of fundamental flaws. You said yourself you didn't know how this got out of testing. But here I am and plenty of others using Windows 8 without any issue. On all kinds of devices. It's not taking us twice and many steps to do the things we always have. We're not constantly having issues with Metro because we either like the Metro apps are associated desktop apps to the file extension types. Where are these fundamental flaws that should cause SERIOUS ISSUES FOR EVERYONE?

I can't make anyone like Windows 8 and I ain't trying. But yes, people are spreading a lot more FUD than I am marketing material. Really, if this OS is so horrific, why are people who are basing using it? It doesn't make any sense. Use something else if Windows 8 sucks so bad for you.

It's not that I love Metro, but if you use Windows on touch devices you begin to APPRECIATE Metro. Of course there are tablet and phone elements in Metro, and not all of those elements are comfortable to desktop only users. And yes things can be improved but people keep talking about all of these zillions of fundamental flaws. You said yourself you didn't know how this got out of testing. But here I am and plenty of others using Windows 8 without any issue. On all kinds of devices. It's not taking us twice and many steps to do the things we always have. We're not constantly having issues with Metro because we either like the Metro apps are associated desktop apps to the file extension types. Where are these fundamental flaws that should cause SERIOUS ISSUES FOR EVERYONE?

I can't make anyone like Windows 8 and I ain't trying. But yes, people are spreading a lot more FUD than I am marketing material. Really, if this OS is so horrific, why are people who are basing using it? It doesn't make any sense. Use something else if Windows 8 sucks so bad for you.

The reason you like/appreciate Metro on a tablet is because you like tablets. Great, but that doesn't address the issue that some desktop users (like most of my customers) don't like Metro, have no need for Metro on their desktops and they are not interested in upgrading to get Metro functionality while losing what they are familiar with. I sell computer hardware and software for a living and people aren't biting on this, they just aren't. I think Microsoft is missing the mark here by trying to push people into Metro instead of guiding them via options. If Metro installation was optional then those who are interested would load it and those who are not interested wouldn't. If it's as great as you think it is then more people would naturally migrate toward it and if not then it would wither and die.

It's called consumer choice, it's a good thing. For consumers.

I sell computer hardware and software for a living and people aren't biting on this, they just aren't. I think Microsoft is missing the mark here by trying to push people into Metro instead of guiding them via options.

They also probably haven't seen a Windows 8/RT tablet, hybrid or other device so it would be hard for many to bite on something they've, not yet seen. I'm not saying that that will make the bite, but it would probably help to actually see the new hardware and software first. At least we'll soon see how this goes.

If Metro installation was optional then those who are interested would load it and those who are not interested wouldn't. If it's as great as you think it is then more people would naturally migrate toward it and if not then it would wither and die.

People are naturally resistant to change and making Metro optional says, "Hey we spent all this time and effort to develop this but if you don't like it you can turn it all off." Really, I have no idea how that would work. It would make much more sense to develop a separate tablet OS in this case. If Metro is for you Windows 7 is still an option.

It's called consumer choice, it's a good thing. For consumers.

And Windows 8 offers as more choice in hardware and software than ever. There's never been tons of choice in the Windows UI. Linux folks point this out all of the time.

The OS isn't even released and you're talking about a hand full of applications? Did anyone here count the number of apps in Google's stores before the launch of Android tablets? No. Heck, even now Android is just starting to get true tablet apps instead on phone apps in number.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, there will be no more applications in desktop mode in RT other than what comes with it.

So, there are a handful of applications that require the entire desktop paradigm because Microsoft couldn't make them work under Metro.

I don't really think that helped the cause. All it did was show how stupidly inefficient it is to perform tasks that used to be simple.

I was 3 and using a TRS-80 Model 4D. Top that 3 year old using Windows 8.

You mean you copied txt chr$ from a manual into a computer by pressing the same chr$ on the keyboard (which sags in the middle after 2years of use)?

I did that too! :D

Actually Outlook is the most used app.

The way I see it, when the average adult user spends more than 5 minutes trying to figure out win8's UI the resulting frustration will ensure that they won't touch a win8 mobile device such as a tablet with a ten foot pole. I think this will blow up in Microsoft's face.

Actually Outlook is the most used app.

That's because they want you to pay more money for that. RT is targeted at consumers specifically. Businesses need to buy more expensive tablets with more software to get what they want. :)

Is it me, or does just about everything related to the Desktop seem to be a step back? It feels like you're running a pseudo-Windows desktop program in Linux or something. Almost like they intentionally crapified it to make you want to use Metro.

Ugh, and the way Win 8 handles multiple screens is just ridiculous. Seemingly separate instances of the Desktop "program" for each screen? It just seems amateurish, especially compared to how smoothly everything works in Win 7.

And the transition from Desktop mode to Metro (on the one screen that can be running Metro, at least) is far from smooth. This whole two separate GUIs based on what you're running is pretty hokey.

press the power button.

press the reset button.

seriously, i don't get your guys' complaints about shutting down, or resetting a computer, when there's a hardware button, that tells the motherboard, to tell the OS to shut down, or reboot.

Not everybody has their shit out in the open, some people like to tuck it away (some even locked in a cabinet to make it harder to steal).

What if the power button is set to hibernate? And by the reset button, do you mean you actually press the hard reset button on your system? I've also yet to see a laptop with a hard reset button on it to begin with. Or a tablet with one for that matter.

Back