EVE Online

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
Also, running lvl 4 missions with a Minmatar ship is pretty masochistic.

Really? I've yet to find anything that beats my Vargur for L4s. Selectable damage types helps a lot. Before I did Vargur, I flew a Mach. For like 2 years. I know those aren't starter ships, but they're Minnie (well, 1/2 minnie in case of mach).

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
Really? I've yet to find anything that beats my Vargur for L4s. Selectable damage types helps a lot. Before I did Vargur, I flew a Mach. For like 2 years. I know those aren't starter ships, but they're Minnie (well, 1/2 minnie in case of mach).

cough golem cough.. but the golem is way more boring than the vargur. other than the 2 you mentioned and the golem there's not really much else.. cheaper route is probably the scorp navy issue, Raven navy issue, rattlesnake, or domi.. ishtar use to be the go to ship til it got it's final nerf hammer that should of happened originally if CCP had just listened to the players the first time.. RIP my awesome L4 AFK ishtar, you won't be missed.

I actually came here looking for Eve advice and there being a thread here is kinda funny and awesome at the same time.

So 4 years ago when I quit Eve after playing from early 2004 to 2011 I had 7 accounts. I was so fed up with the game eating my life and pissed at the game updates that were basically destroying everything I liked doing in the game that I took measures to prevent my return. I sold all my characters of value and gave all my assets and isk away to friends which at the time was around 250 billion not counting the BPO's and assets lol.

Fast forward to 2 days ago and I activate one of my accounts and create a new character to look around and see whats new. Well now I am staying for a while (although I swear I am just going to be a casual player this time.) Here is my dilemma though. Which race do I start out as? I am going to be stuck with that races ships until I get my core skills down and able to run lvl 4 missions or equiv. for money.

My first instinct was just go Caldari. I had several 100mil+ sp Caldari characters and am pretty familiar with the legacy ship fits and uses for both pvp and pve. But I also kinda have the itch to try something new. I had a Minmatar alt on that account that had ~1mil sp that was used for cargo transport and a cyno. I just paid the $20 to start training on a second character for a month and have him going too until I make up my mind. Of course after the fact it hits me that it takes much much longer to train a Minmatar up to the same job as any other race because of the nature of their ships. Also, running lvl 4 missions with a Minmatar ship is pretty masochistic.

So honestly I have a month to decide. Should I stick with what I know or try something new?

try something new, thats one of the best parts about Eve is that there is always something new and different to do. honestly i've never done the same thing for more than 6-7 months before finding something else to do, sometimes i go back to old stuff i did sometimes i don't. also there is nothing locking you to a specific race, your characters race is just a role playing thing and has no baring on forcing you to play a game within that race. i mean hell i have an amarr character alt that can't even fly amarr ships, and i have a gallente alt that has 0 combat drone skills because who needs DPS drones in a logi, lol.

Last edited:

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
A friend of mine just gave me one of his old alts. 65M sp caldari sub cap. -9.6 sec status so thats what I have been working on. Damn near back to positive. Going to train him into scanning so I can do sites, wormholes, and things of that nature. Things I never really got to do before I quit.

WTF?!?! Run a series of level 4's with a well skilled Golem pilot ONCE. You will be embarrassed. At least that used to be the case. I don't think it's changed.

Killa|3yte

2[H]4U
A friend of mine just gave me one of his old alts. 65M sp caldari sub cap. -9.6 sec status so thats what I have been working on. Damn near back to positive. Going to train him into scanning so I can do sites, wormholes, and things of that nature. Things I never really got to do before I quit.

WTF?!?! Run a series of level 4's with a well skilled Golem pilot ONCE. You will be embarrassed. At least that used to be the case. I don't think it's changed.

My main flies max skilled Vargur and Golem. On paper, the Golem seems better, however, in practice, I found that the Vargur excelled by a wide margin. The main problem is the 8s weapon cycle time vs 3s weapon cycle time. For any frigates or those volleys that do 95% of the job, that difference drives up your times considerably. I spent a really long time skilling into my Golem just so I could do comparisons between the two. I'd be happy to exchange fits and compare notes if you'd like :)

Meester

n00b
Well Goons are trying to tear themselves apart atm.
It involves a crowd funded book.

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
I could never get over the mechanics. Why do so many space ship games completely shit on actual space mechanics and opt for shitty underwater mechanics.

Meester

n00b
I could never get over the mechanics. Why do so many space ship games completely shit on actual space mechanics and opt for shitty underwater mechanics.

I like the mechanics myself and really they are a requirement for a space mmo where you can have a thousand people in a battle, otherwise it would not be possible.

Eve is more like a strategy game instead of hurr durr space combat, it could be said that space combat could actually be like this with automated turrets that you set on a target and fire.

Now I helped fund Star Citizen but they are two different games with one more set on the macro [eve] and the other more set on the micro [star citizen]. Maybe eve will change in the future as you can fly a ship with the arrow buttons and there's an upcoming first person camera, but it will be a long time until we see ballistic projectiles because it just is not feasible for eves scope and magnitude.

Meester

n00b
A more important post - off-grid links are getting extinguished fairly soon, like next year Jan/Feb soon, replaced by maybe an aoe effect as confirmed by fozzie.

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
Eve is more like a strategy game instead of hurr durr space combat, it could be said that space combat could actually be like this with automated turrets that you set on a target and fire.

This is how I feel for sure. The thought of dogfighting in space with manually aimed weapons is downright ancient. Eve's systems seem more appropriate for an actual space engagement. Combat effectiveness is more controlled by range, speed, weapon tracking abilities, and target signature compared to a human's ability to point the shiny end of a blaster towards an enemy.

Might as well just stick a bow and arrow on the ships in Star Citizen and send them into combat with those. Then use horses in the boarding parties too, so people can move around inside the enemy ships faster...

Last edited:

DWolvin

2[H]4U
As excited as I am for Star Citizen, you are probably correct in thinking that it's a fantasy version of space combat. I think the science fiction series with the human evolved (Protectors?) that really got into how strange and difficult fighting across vast distances with lightspeed weapons...

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
I like the mechanics myself and really they are a requirement for a space mmo where you can have a thousand people in a battle, otherwise it would not be possible.

How is it a requirement that a space MMO ignores actual space physics and goes with the underwater physics? Just seems to me the reason they do it is that its much easier.

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
How is it a requirement that a space MMO ignores actual space physics and goes with the underwater physics? Just seems to me the reason they do it is that its much easier.

The warp drive systems cause drag on the immediate space around the ship, it almost makes sense :p

Meester

n00b

Not sure about easier but simpler and less demanding on peoples machines otherwise the lagfests that can occur in many hundreds of player battles will seem like a picnic if you begin to equate actual space physics into eve. Eve is all on one server with thousands of characters on at the same time, if you didn't have something simpler, eve would not be the social galaxy that it is currently as everything would probably grind to a halt. It would be non-starter.

Eve has non-instanced missions, hundred of different mods and configurations for a hundred ships, the ability to build space empires. Something has got to give somewhere, and I think CCP have made a good compromise so that we can do everything else that makes eve special. Ask why yourself why Star Citizen cannot achieve hundreds of players in the same place and why it is often instanced. 100 million can not change what we currently can or cannot do, only what can happen in the future.
Also off-grid links!

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure about easier but simpler and less demanding on peoples machines otherwise the lagfests that can occur in many hundreds of player battles will seem like a picnic if you begin to equate actual space physics into eve. Eve is all on one server with thousands of characters on at the same time, if you didn't have something simpler, eve would not be the social galaxy that it is currently as everything would probably grind to a halt. It would be non-starter.

Eve has non-instanced missions, hundred of different mods and configurations for a hundred ships, the ability to build space empires. Something has got to give somewhere, and I think CCP have made a good compromise so that we can do everything else that makes eve special. Ask why yourself why Star Citizen cannot achieve hundreds of players in the same place and why it is often instanced. 100 million can not change what we currently can or cannot do, only what can happen in the future.
Also off-grid links!

You are not making any fucking sense at all... How would having actual space mechanics be harder on the servers? You seem to be making that connection out of thin air without actually thinking about it.

Do you even understand what actual space mechanics would be vs the underwater mechanics they used? I dont think you do.

Meester

n00b
You are not making any fucking sense at all... How would having actual space mechanics be harder on the servers? You seem to be making that connection out of thin air without actually thinking about it.

Do you even understand what actual space mechanics would be vs the underwater mechanics they used? I dont think you do.

Whoa tiger, get angry at starving Ethiopians and Islamic extremism instead of someone who is trying to answer your questions, otherwise I [and others] might not bother in future. Unless you want me to sign after every post, 'made by a layman'. You could always Google, 'Why doesn't eve online have space physics'. That provides some answers like this post by someone - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=294816

Basic answer is that the servers advanced that they are can could not take it i.e it is not possible ,even space sim games cut corners atm., Physics is hard! Also eve is not meant to be a space simulator and proper physics would hurt gameplay.

Last edited:

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Whoa tiger, get angry at starving Ethiopians and Islamic extremism instead of someone who is trying to answer your questions, otherwise I [and others] might not bother in future. Unless you want me to sign after every post, 'made by a layman'. You could always Google, 'Why doesn't eve online have space physics'. That provides some answers.

Basic answer is that the servers advanced that they are can could not take it i.e it is not possible ,even space sim games cut corners atm., Physics is hard! Also eve is not meant to be a space simulator.

You just keep repeating the same incorrect crap you came up with on the spot. I give up. You clearly are not following.

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
I haven't played Eve Online in years. I ran a Corp. in the last year or so that I played where we operated in WH space. Had a tower up and managed to build a couple....carriers?? It's been so long I can't remember the classes....I believe it was a Nyx and a Charon and then I built that giant ass mining ship that would transform...can't remember class or even name of that thing, lol. Unfortunately, it was a lower class WH where we couldn't get the carriers out, lol. Eventually, another much larger corporation managed to setup shop and quickly wiped us out and that's when I said I was done. I've still got that character account laying around somewhere....if I ever picked it up again the thing was maxed out on mining and industrial skill trees and I believe was working towards dreadnaught class ships. I actually had three accounts and one of them I had maxed out in the leadership skill tree. I forgot what ship I would stick him in but I'd have him lead the fleet and get all the max bonuses skills could offer...I think....it's been a long ass time, lol.

I remember taking part in that huge protest where everyone showed up in one of the main trading hub systems and blasted a nearby shrine. Nothing like seeing hundreds of ships set to orbit the shrine and constantly blast the shit out of it, it was pretty cool...wish I still had a screenshot of that....

Edit: Went and looked at the Evelopedia....they were the Thanatos and Wyvern carriers and the Ore capital industrial ship. Had a member who was in the middle of collecting resources for the Nidhoggur when we were attacked. Keep in mind, in the end days, we were a crew of about a dozen that managed to build those ships and keep the station alive, lol. It was only 2-3 of us that would get together and take out the....the NPC race that lived in the holes...lol can't remember that either. I believe it was the salvage from that and mining that we sold off to make ends meet.

Last edited:

sirmonkey1985

I haven't played Eve Online in years. I ran a Corp. in the last year or so that I played where we operated in WH space. Had a tower up and managed to build a couple....carriers?? It's been so long I can't remember the classes....I believe it was a Nyx and a Charon and then I built that giant ass mining ship that would transform...can't remember class or even name of that thing, lol. Unfortunately, it was a lower class WH where we couldn't get the carriers out, lol. Eventually, another much larger corporation managed to setup shop and quickly wiped us out and that's when I said I was done. I've still got that character account laying around somewhere....if I ever picked it up again the thing was maxed out on mining and industrial skill trees and I believe was working towards dreadnaught class ships. I actually had three accounts and one of them I had maxed out in the leadership skill tree. I forgot what ship I would stick him in but I'd have him lead the fleet and get all the max bonuses skills could offer...I think....it's been a long ass time, lol.

I remember taking part in that huge protest where everyone showed up in one of the main trading hub systems and blasted a nearby shrine. Nothing like seeing hundreds of ships set to orbit the shrine and constantly blast the shit out of it, it was pretty cool...wish I still had a screenshot of that....

Edit: Went and looked at the Evelopedia....they were the Thanatos and Wyvern carriers and the Ore capital industrial ship. Had a member who was in the middle of collecting resources for the Nidhoggur when we were attacked. Keep in mind, in the end days, we were a crew of about a dozen that managed to build those ships and keep the station alive, lol. It was only 2-3 of us that would get together and take out the....the NPC race that lived in the holes...lol can't remember that either. I believe it was the salvage from that and mining that we sold off to make ends meet.

if it was a in a WH it was a thanatos and a chimera, supers couldn't be built in WH's and very few regions in nullsec would ever let you build a super in their space.

the event you're talking about was during the whole AURA micro transaction protest in Jita.

eve has gotten a lot more complex and interesting since those times though. nullsec is now the new lowsec and a lot of the major alliances during those times have fallen apart or have moved into lowsec because they can't figure out how small gang works and are getting shit on by the smaller more organized corps/alliances in null with the new sov mechanics.

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
nullsec is now the new lowsec and a lot of the major alliances during those times have fallen apart or have moved into lowsec because they can't figure out how small gang works and are getting shit on by the smaller more organized corps/alliances in null with the new sov mechanics.

Interesting.
I definitely thought that the sov mechanics made things worse over time till I finally quit a (couple) year/s ago. Perhaps it's time to look into it again if the game mechanics favor small gangs now. A high SP character can easily be obtained for cash via PLEX, or I can just jump into the Rifter as noob and put a point on things...

Worth doing?

sirmonkey1985

No no its the other way round! That's my impression atm anyway.

maybe if you're fail heap goons.. go spend some time in scalding pass/wicked creek.. it's a thunderdome down here and fun as hell. :p

Blind Man

Limp Gawd
EVE is more fun to read about then to play.

This is the problem. I probably haven't played actively since 2010, yet I still love this game more than anything and read every line of the patch notes. But when I login, I sit in the station and do nothing :(

Meester

n00b
But when I login, I sit in the station and do nothing :(

So do something? But a suggestion, right now there are Operation Frostline beacon's springing up in all systems [wormholes too] rare drops include plexes and stuff like that.
So you chase as many of those as you can atm and they are not hard. What harder is finding one that isn't being done by someone but I still managed about 8-9 yesterday with one decent drop.

sirmonkey1985

This is the problem. I probably haven't played actively since 2010, yet I still love this game more than anything and read every line of the patch notes. But when I login, I sit in the station and do nothing :(

eve's only as fun as you make it.. finding a good corp/alliance to play with goes a long way to having fun in eve.

jgreath

n00b
eve's only as fun as you make it.. finding a good corp/alliance to play with goes a long way to having fun in eve.

THIS! I have played off and on since 2007, but always solo. I always got bored after 1-2 months and cancelled my subscription. In early 2015, I subbed again to try out the new stuff, had my first pvp experience (did not go well for me), joined a corp in null, and found out what is actually fun in the game.

Quit that corp shortly after joining. Group was great, but the CEO was a tool. Found a new group about a week after leaving the first, and have been with them since. I still mainly play solo, but it's nice having that group to interact with. Been subscribed ever since and just renewed for a full year!

jgreath

n00b
Potentially off-topic, but does anyone have any hardware advice for a better EVE experience? My current PC is great, but I'd like a new monitor. Currently using a 24" 1080p @ 144hz screen, and the fast refresh actually does look great in EVE (lots of camera movements), but I've been curious about going with 4k @ 60hz just for the extra room for space-spreadsheets. Otherwise, 27" 1440p @ 144+hz would still be a nice upgrade.

Have any of our [H] EVE players played at 4k? Is the UI too tiny to read on a 27" even with the scaling options, or would a larger 4k screen be better (like one of those Wasabi Mango monitors)? I do play other games, so 4k might be doable in EVE, but might require details to be turned down to avoid melting my poor 970.

sirmonkey1985

Potentially off-topic, but does anyone have any hardware advice for a better EVE experience? My current PC is great, but I'd like a new monitor. Currently using a 24" 1080p @ 144hz screen, and the fast refresh actually does look great in EVE (lots of camera movements), but I've been curious about going with 4k @ 60hz just for the extra room for space-spreadsheets. Otherwise, 27" 1440p @ 144+hz would still be a nice upgrade.

Have any of our [H] EVE players played at 4k? Is the UI too tiny to read on a 27" even with the scaling options, or would a larger 4k screen be better (like one of those Wasabi Mango monitors)? I do play other games, so 4k might be doable in EVE, but might require details to be turned down to avoid melting my poor 970.

4k works ok in eve, most of the UI scaling issues have been fixed.. but it takes a bit to get use to having all the screen real estate though since you're moving your mouse over a much larger distance but the game looks beautiful in 4k.

Meester

n00b
So it looks like Eve Online: Citadel will have a release date of 27/4/2016

Things it will add include citadels that will one day replace outposts and pos's in their entirety, a capital rebalance along with new capital modules and new capital ships.

EVE_Online_Citadel_keyart_logob412.jpg

NewCapitalShips_Screenshotb412.jpg

horrorshow

Supreme [H]ardness
Based on my limited research, doesn't EVE boil down to "day trading in space"??

Meester

n00b
Based on my limited research, doesn't EVE boil down to "day trading in space"??

Not really, my OP should really tell you what you need to know.

Trading is a big part of eve but pvp is the main draw in all aspects of eve accompanied by various Machiavellian schemes.

Meester

n00b
So Citadel stuff and capital stuff is available on the test server, also damage controls are now passive modules

Burns out on use
lgE1slI.png
o1PbN6z.gif

Capital prop mods
H73zHcp.gif

Rorqual only drones
ad2bcf4281.png

ZMUFmSM.jpg

FHbR96C.png

8ad7c4f6be1600e9d595e8749ab1fc3a.png

RVzpUcF.png

eg6HvJ3.png

Cloaked citadel here
NzdTJ0P.png

Meester

n00b
So it looks like total war has broken out between the CFC [AKA Imperium] and various entities eager to smash
them. Test Alliance Please Ignore, Triumvirate, Pandemic Legion, NC, Mercenary Coalition and others are involved being bankrolled by an isk gambling website in the beginning and its still a significant contributor.
Blame SpaceMonkeys Alliance, The Mittani and the blue donut.

Goons have lost some battles, their allies are feeling the pressure and some have defected to the other side. 3000 man battle in M-0EEB in Tribute helped convince Circle of Two that the
grass on the other side was better and far less dangerous. The Bastion and Get Off My Lawn have been and are evacuating from Vale of the Silent.

New Rooks and Kings video describing some of it

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I wish I could make myself love this game again. I played 1000's of hours and got burned out hard years ago. I used all my ISK to buy PLEX before I left, so my toon is still training. He's around 200mil SP or so in PVP skills. I get on once a year or so and add more stuff to his skill queue.

Game is just such a time sync. You can't be in a fun alliance or corp without having all sorts of rules and participation requirements. I remember doing alarm clock OPs and shit. Waking up at 3 a.m. in the morning so we could attack a POS or something. Ah, the good old days