EVE: Online...

Just a random MMO question folks. I'm curious how difficult it is for a newbie to start up with EVE: Online now? I've read many things since its launch and it seems like a pretty fun game. Are people pretty helpful and willing to help new players out? Or has it turned into a greed fest like WoW (no offense - just IMO). I guess I'm curious if it's worth playing at this point. Are the graphics dated? I enjoyed X3 a lot and do like Scifi type games.

Thanks! :D

It's the most massive and indepth MMORPG ever. It offers a VERY good tutorial for beginners. You'll start out in a "noob" corp with 1000's of other players willing to help you. I've been playing Eve since beta and the community is the most mature you'll find in any MMORPG. The depth of the games is truly astounding. The only people who would disagree are those who haven't played it or quit after a very short amount of time.

The graphics are beautiful and run great even old machines. Worth it? Absolutely. I've got nearly 4 years in this game and I won't stop playing until the server goes offline. Which will be a LONG time from now.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

The graphics are good... and going to get better. Come November/December, the client will be upgraded to the Trinity Engine for Revelations III. If you have a Shader Model 3.0 card, you will get better graphics. If you have Vista and a DX10 card, you'll get even better graphics.

We have an official [H]ard Corp in the game. You can message me (MorbidPenguin) or join the Hard-Recruiting channel to talk to one of our recruiters. We're based in Amarr space (Tew) and have some 0.0 systems. We do everything - mining, industry, pew pew, you name it.

If you join and decide to stick around, let us know and we'll join up! If you need anything, just evemail me in-game and I'll help you out. I'm on everyday.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

The graphics are good... and going to get better. Come November/December, the client will be upgraded to the Trinity Engine for Revelations III. If you have a Shader Model 3.0 card, you will get better graphics. If you have Vista and a DX10 card, you'll get even better graphics.

We have an official [H]ard Corp in the game. You can message me (MorbidPenguin) or join the Hard-Recruiting channel to talk to one of our recruiters. We're based in Amarr space (Tew) and have some 0.0 systems. We do everything - mining, industry, pew pew, you name it.

If you join and decide to stick around, let us know and we'll join up! If you need anything, just evemail me in-game and I'll help you out. I'm on everyday.

Hmm, didn't know there was an [H] corp. I currently have a 68mil SP toon in Triumvirate. We kill....well everything. Really fun alliance.

graphics are dated, but still look really good. This winter a new expansion(free), is updating the graphics. I run two accounts at once on eve. Its good stuff.

I just started 2 months ago and I'm absolutely hooked. It's pretty much the only game I play now (and I came from the competitive fps side).

Wow! I certainly didn't expect this type of response. Looks like I'll be downloading the 14-day free trial tonight!

Thanks guys! :D

Just stick with it. It's pretty overwhelming at first (at least it was for me) but after you play for a little while you really start to see the depth this game has to offer. It's incredibly fun.

I've been playing Eve since beta and the community is the most mature you'll find in any MMORPG.

And yet somewhat sadly the most vocal and apparent part of that community is probably one of the most immature I've ever had the displeasure of coming into contact with, mind you seeing as how I've been avoiding the forums for a good few months now that may have changed.

Ok so I've been checking out the EVE home page and it certainly seems very overwhelming! Is there a particular race/skill one should choose starting out or does this not make too much of a difference? I'm assuming starting out as a miner/trader would be the best a approach for a new player.

And are there pirates? I remember reading a PC gamer years ago, which said there are player pirates out there that can steal your cargo and blow you up! Scary!

...and reading more I see that players can have massive ships called Titans, which have hangers and the like. Can those hangers be used by other players to dock in, repair etc...?

Race doesn't matter a whole lot... any race can train any skill.

People like Caldari (I don't know why). For PvP (pew-pew, fighting other people) you'll want probably Minmatar or Gallente.

As I said, you can always crosstrain, so your attributes are more important.

People like to put Charisma the lowest, since that is only involved in leadership and Corporation skills.

If you want a science/Industry character, you'll want high Int and Mem. If you want a pew-pew character, you'll want high Perception and Int/Willpower. You can also train learning skills to enhance your attributes after birth.

REMEMBER: Skills train ALL THE TIME. Even when you log off. Always remember to train something... if you're going to be gone for a while, set a long skill. Otherwise, it's just wasted time. You'll want to download and check out EVEMON to help with skilltraining and making plans.

Yes, there are pirates and other assholes out there. In highsec (0.5-1.0) they can't hurt you, unless you steal from their jetcan or wreck (don't touch anything that is gold). Sometimes they'll steal from your can, wait for you to take it back, and then blow you up. Rule is: If it's gold, don't touch it. If they steal from your can, let it go and do something else.

In lowsec (0.1-0.4) they can kill you, but they'll take a security hit. Best to stay out of there for now, unless you want to yarrrrr.

In 0.0, it's a free-for-all. You can shoot anybody anytime, they can shoot you anytime. No rules.

Hmm, didn't know there was an [H] corp. I currently have a 68mil SP toon in Triumvirate. We kill....well everything. Really fun alliance.

Damn.... [H]ard Corp was started about a year and a half ago by 5INISTRY. We're in the Brotherhood of Steel alliance and currently fighting alongside IAC and KOS in FAT/Querious/Catch against the big, bad BOB. :)

Original thread is here.

Just a random MMO question folks. I'm curious how difficult it is for a newbie to start up with EVE: Online now? I've read many things since its launch and it seems like a pretty fun game. Are people pretty helpful and willing to help new players out? Or has it turned into a greed fest like WoW (no offense - just IMO). I guess I'm curious if it's worth playing at this point. Are the graphics dated? I enjoyed X3 a lot and do like Scifi type games.

Thanks! :D

What's your name in-game? If you need some help, look me up. I'll even throw a little donation your way. I know how hard it can be get started up with 5000 ISK. :)

I'm really looking forward to trying EVE out again (only managed a month at release and then another one a year later) when the new engine is released soon!!

I'm going to attempt again to play it, I've tried twice but find it too overwhelming and quit early (hardly through the tutorial).

Is it possible within the 14 day trial to build a ship decent enough to PvP with? I'd really like to see what that aspect is like before shelling out any cash. I'll probably start the trial this weekend, after I've played the Crysis demo to death twice over.

If you're having trouble at the beginning, even through the tutorial, remember that it's an MMO - you're not supposed to play alone. That's what Corporations and alliances are for. You can look up the Hard Corp or another corporation like EVE University - they specialize in helping newbies with free ships, skillbooks, mining ops, and classes to learn how to do things. Pretty awesome.

Yes, it's possible to go yarring/pirating in your 2 week free trial. All you need is a frigate (Punisher for Amarr, Rifter for Minmatar, or Incursus for gallente work best) with some guns and a warp scrambler and head into lowsec. You may get lucky or you may get podded. Who knows? As you skill up, however, you'll probably win more often than not.

I started my free trial last night, and I'm liking it so far. I did the tutorial, bought a condor and some weapons, and did a few of the follow-up missions. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping people can help me with.

1. The game will freeze for a second quite frequently, mostly when flying around or in combat. My rig isn't the best, but it should easily be able to handle this game I think. I've even tried turning down the res to 1024x768 and it still happens. The graphics options seem severely limited, am I missing another setting?

2. If I do get it figured out, is there a way to make the text and interface bigger at like 1600x1200? It looks great, but I can barely read it :rolleyes:

3. I'll be looking for a corp. Can someone in the Hard Corp please give me a low-down on typical activities? (PM is fine too)

Other than that it's cool. Combat seems very clunky, and I'm not quite sure how to postion myself etc. I think that will just take time to get used to and learn.

ive been playing over a year now. the longest ive played an mmo. so it keeps me interested. it is overwhelming at first but you get used to it. just after you get the hang of it join a corp they can help you out alot ...join one established though so they can sell you or make you ships cheaper then what you get on market or contracts. oh and stay out of jita ha ha you will see what i mean :D

Been playing for a bit over a year now...up to 3 accounts now...they are so addictive...looking forward to trinity upgrade... looks to be turning out real nice.

I'm having a blast now. I'm still a complete ubernoob, dont about 4 non-tut missions.. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't feel like a second job to play.

Space Coyote,

as for the stuttering, there probably isn't much you can do. Right now the client is very CPU-intensive. When they release the next big upgrade with the new graphics, the graphics will be shifted from the CPU to the GPU and this should help immensely. Hopefully the stuttering will go away.

Hard Corp does a little bit of everything. We have a few mining ops every month (Ice for our POS, minerals for building stuff). Right now we're doing mining ops to build capital ships. We also have a lot of mission runners and we're going to try to do level 4 and 5 missions as a group.

We also do PVP, since we own space in 0.0 and are currently fighting against the big, bad BOB.

Oh yeah... and stay the hell out of Jita.

Before I forget... why the hell does everyone make a Caldari character? Why is everyone attracted to them even before they start the game? I don't get it... :p

Thanks for the info Dr.
as for the stuttering, there probably isn't much you can do. Right now the client is very CPU-intensive.

So even a dual-core running at 3.1GHz can't keep up? Wow!

Hard Corp does a little bit of everything.

Sounds good. I found the corp online last night, it said where the HQ was. Should I just head out that way and apply at the offices?

... why the hell does everyone make a Caldari character?

Several people in that gargantuan Eve thread (26 pages, yes I read it all) said the Caldari A...something was best because it had the lowest charisma. So I followed that advice, but I do kind of hate the way my guy looks. Not enough customization options for the face/hair IMO.

because caldari is less skill intensive you can be in a raven and doing lvl3 missions in a short period of time. missiles always hit remember. i have 5.5 million in gunnery and i still dont get good hits every time i shoot at something. caldari are the king of mission running and the raven and caldari navy raven do it best. caldari are not a drone race either like gallente so no need to go crazy with drone skills unless you want to get to a carrier quickly. thats just a few points ive covered problably i few more i could mention.

I picked Caldari because they seem the most closely related to what I want my character to be.

Back