Eve Online, What do I do now?

Exce

Limp Gawd
I'm on the 21 day trial, I have tried the trial in the past but didnt get past the tutorials. This time I made it through a basic understanding of the mechanics but I'm at a loss of what there is left for me to do. I joined a really good corp but the problem is that my character was going to be industrial, I liked the idea of making things and selling them. However, after doing a few days of countless hours mining with the corp I QUICKLY realized that this isnt a game, its work and not fun at all to sit in front of an asteroid for no particular gain.

The corp divides the cash gained from the ore and I have made a substantial amount of money, but it doesn't excite me because I see no purpose to buy a bigger mining barge just to make more money to...well buy another mining ship. Basically, whats the point? Theres no fun in that route.

So I have tried to start towards a fighter character but even then I don't know what I'm supposed to do, my corp isnt attacking anyone at the moment and I'm not ready for that portion of the game anyways, so what should I do? Missions? The missions, if im not mistaken are pretty bland, you float around in the same space, shooting the same ships with no real challenge except this time there are 15 pirates instead of 10.

Keep in mind these are newbie missions and I havent ventured far from that but I dont know what to do in this game right now, it seems like fun but I cant find the fun! Where is it?!

Lulz :p Anyone who claims that the game mechanics alone of EVE are "fun" is lying to himself. The true fun comes from interaction with people. My suggestion: find a different corp that does PvP (and not the poor excuse for PvP that is empire wars). Look into join Red Vs Blue, Eve University, or trying faction warfare. Those provide many opportunities for young players to fight.

Also, as a side note, the who point of the grind is to make losses hurt and expensive stuff mean something. Sucks, but it's an important part of the game.

is there any MMO where the game mechanic itself is fun? can't think of one atm

This is pretty much sums up my experience of playing the trial too. I like the idea but it just didn't seem exciting enough.

Basically, whats the point?
Where is [the fun]?!
The game, as life in general, is what you make it.
There's really no sense in me telling you where the fun in EVE is, for a number of reasons. One is that my perception of what's fun is different from yours, but more importantly if you can no find fun in it yourself, then EVE just isn't for you.

EVE is a great game with truly limitless possibilities, but this sandbox approach requires the player to think ahead, identify, and seize opportunities. This type of game play isn't for everyone and short of joining Red vs. Blue or to a lesser degree faction warfare everything you do in EVE is for the long term (as in months to years).

For many players in EVE the fun comes from Player vs. Player combat and everything else they do is just to finance their PvP. However, if you ask yourself "What's the point?", then the game just isn't for you. That's neither good or bad, it just is, that's what the trial is for after all.

The above sums it up nicely. Mining CAN be very boring. It really is actually. I'd recommend trying some missions. It will help you learn the basic concepts of combat. It will also help you train for some combat ships, because you'll want combat ships eventually. Theres more to combat than at first glance. Things like resist and tanks and tracking speed are very tricky concepts for beginners, but missions are a great place to learn about all this.

Theres a LOT to do in EVE, if what you're doing now isn't working out, try something else.

Once you're nice and comfortable with the PVE aspect of the game -- Mining and Missions -- you'll want to try some PVP. Bear in mind, when you lose your ship in PVP, its gone. Go buy a new one. Mining and Missions MAKE money, while PVP COSTS money. Short of being a pirate and ransoming other people for their ships, you won't make money doing it.

The first ship you should train for in PVP, in my opinion, is an Interceptor. They are very small, fast, cheap ships who have 1 important job. Warp Jamming. You target an enemy and prevent him from warping away. Then your friends kill him. I had a lot of fun doing that, YMMV.

In short, I recommend trying missions. Level 1 and 2 missions won't make much money and are pretty easy, but once you get to level 3 and then 4, you'll start having some challenge and making decent cash. I can make 25-50 million from a decent level 4 mission.

If you want someone to talk to in-game, feel free to look me up. I'm there as 'Tyymm'.

I have no problem grinding, as long as there is something to grind for. I will work my butt off for an end result, my problem was seeing the end result. Is there a method of solo PVPing at a young stage? I dont want to jump corps just yet because I do like mine as they are friendly and helpful. The interceptor would be a poor choice it seems because its made for team play. What method would be best to test out solo PVP? (yes i know its an MMO but i want to just test the waters without the hassle of a corp for now). I dont care if I lose a ship right now as I have some money to replace them.

solo pvp is rare, even those that do usually have an alt to RR, sensor boost, scout, tank etc. yea grinding sucks but generally people try to balance it out. cause in eve pvp, you're gonna lose ships and you're gonna need a way to replenish those lost iskies.

on a side note I recently came back and is in FW atm, wtf is up with all the gay ass Dramiel, is there no solution to them?

If I didn't kill people and take their shit every day I wouldn't play at all.

So as Thuleman says, it's hard to say what you'll enjoy. For me, the small scale PVP is where it's at. There are plenty of corps that will take you in if you think that's your thing.

For now, try missions as stated. When you get a better grasp on the mechanics you can give PVP a shot.

Is there a method of solo PVPing at a young stage? I dont want to jump corps just yet because I do like mine as they are friendly and helpful. The interceptor would be a poor choice it seems because its made for team play. What method would be best to test out solo PVP? (yes i know its an MMO but i want to just test the waters without the hassle of a corp for now). I dont care if I lose a ship right now as I have some money to replace them.
Actually, a properly fitted and well pilot Interceptor can solo PVP quite well. I can link dozens of Interceptors solo kills to show you. But yes the Interceptor is geared towards fleet battles and such.

A T1 Rifter or Incursus are good starting ships for solo PVP. Then again, your choice of targets might be limited to hitting miners or poorly fitted/piloted T1 Cruisers.

A decent primer on what to do for solo PVP could be found here (Scroll down to or search for the " Missions Suck! What else can I do while I wait?" section:
https://wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php?title=Joining_Goonfleet

on a side note I recently came back and is in FW atm, wtf is up with all the gay ass Dramiel, is there no solution to them?

Like with any ship in Eve Online, a Dramiel can be killed. Just kind of hard to do so. But here are the ways I've seen Dramiels die:

- Stupidity on the part of the Dramaiel pilot. i.e Decloaking way too soon at a gate camp to gate crash
- Bad luck. i.e Detting decloaked at a gate camp way too soon to gate crash
- Using a force Recon ship like the Curse, Arazu, or Falcon along with two or more Inteceptors or tackle
- A Sniper HAC fleet
- Dramiel pilot warping into the middle of a giant fleet full of insta-lock ships and tackle.
- Specially fitted Zealot HAC with fast locking Interceptors
- Apparently a very well fitted Hurricane BC can solo kill a Dramiel:
http://www.lf-eve.com/lfakb/index.php?a=kill_detail&kll_id=32317

Last edited:
I have no problem grinding, as long as there is something to grind for. I will work my butt off for an end result, my problem was seeing the end result. Is there a method of solo PVPing at a young stage? I dont want to jump corps just yet because I do like mine as they are friendly and helpful. The interceptor would be a poor choice it seems because its made for team play. What method would be best to test out solo PVP? (yes i know its an MMO but i want to just test the waters without the hassle of a corp for now). I dont care if I lose a ship right now as I have some money to replace them.

If you like mining, aim for getting a Hulk. If you don't already, download EVEMON -- its a great tool for finding out what skills you need to fly which ships. In fact, EVEMON will probably help you learn almost everything you need to know about the game early on. It even has recommended ship setups, and which skills are required for the modules on the ships.

A hulk will take a month or 2 worth of training and saving $$ to fly, and another month or two to fly really well.

On the way, you'll want to get a Retriever. They're cheaper and easier to fly than a Hulk, but of course they aren't as good. But you'll need to train all the pre-reqs for a retriever before you get a hulk, so you might as well get a retriever to use while you wait for the hulk skills to finish.

If mining is the way you want to go, google for 'Complete Miners Guide' and you'll find a VERY comprehensive guide to all things mining.

So basically, you need to set goals for yourself. What do you want to do in the game? Do you want to mine a lot? If so, your goal is the Hulk. Setup a skill plan in EVEMON and then start training for it. While training, mine with whatever ship you currently have, and save up for the hulk. The ship alone will cost 200 million, and the subsequent mods will cost at least another 50 million.

Faction warfare, (or so I hear) is a good way to PVP without going out into nullsec (0.0). I've never done it, so someone else here will need to speak to that.

in Amarr FW atm, seems to lack organization at US timezone, not sure about euro time zone. freaking 20 man minmatar gank squad roaming around at the same time every night.

in Amarr FW atm, seems to lack organization at US timezone, not sure about euro time zone. freaking 20 man minmatar gank squad roaming around at the same time every night.

If you are in the 24th then there's no organization period. This is really no different from other factions. If you want to be organized then you will need to join an actual FW corp and not just the militia.

If you are in the 24th then there's no organization period. This is really no different from other factions. If you want to be organized then you will need to join an actual FW corp and not just the militia.

I am in a corp, thing is we're a smaller corp so there is nothing we can do when Bahamut comes rolling in with his 20 man baiting/gank squad every nite.

I am in a corp, thing is we're a smaller corp so there is nothing we can do when Bahamut comes rolling in with his 20 man baiting/gank squad every nite.

What is this gank squad composed of? Like what shiptypes, etc?
How many members of your corp can you get into battle on average?

Back