Eve Online - After 7 years, can't find a reason to log on

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I've been playing Eve Online since beta. Got a very old toon with 120mil+ SP and a ton of nice alts. But I just can't get interested in the game anymore. PVP has become either a blob fest, or you need to have a remote rep alt or two. I've been in some of the biggest alliances/corps in the game, but still can't get excited again. I'm currently in The Orphanage, thinking some wars would be fun. I was wrong.

It consists of is a bunch of guys sitting on stations or gates with 4 sensor boosters or a remote sensor booster alt. It's pretty much just everyone shoot the target, or if it's small, see who can pop it first. There's a guy who lives next to Eve's servers who has a RSB alt and multiple on-board sensor boosters on his Loki. The guy has zero lag and like 5000 scan res, and can lock and kill stuff before most of our clients can even process the data.

I've tried going to other places than Jita, like Amarr or Rens. But targets don't undock, and if they do they usually have multiple alts remote repping them. So you can't even get a good fight unless you bring your own RR, and then it usually ends in a draw.

In the recent 0.0 alliances I've been in, it's either sit in station or rat, with occasional PVP blobs that take hours. Or mandatory POS ops or camping, which also takes hours. I remember Eve being fun, but can't seem to find it anymore. Plus I hate the mandatory ops. I was in a recent 0.0 alliance where you had to set your alarm and wake up in the middle of the night to do ops, or they'd look at kicking you.

When did Eve stop being about having fun? Even in the empire alliance, you get bitched at if you don't immediately get on TS as soon as you log on. I literally logged in just to change a skill, and a douche, who doesn't work and plays Eve 16 hours a day, eve mailed me and said get on TS or we'll kick you. I'd been online for less than 2 minutes, lol. I remember roaming around in small gangs having fun and getting kills, but now people are either in a POS, in a station, or they blob you.

Same thing with 0.0 gate camps. I used to run around 0.0 and find pipe systems where I'd setup small warp disruptors. I'd throw them up behind gates to suck targets in, and I'd get some good kills for a while, then I'd move. I tried this the other night, and within a couple minutes 30 guys jumped in. Killed the bubbles and camped me for hours. For one guy!! So pretty much if you don't have a blob, don't apply. And blobs suck, so it's a vicious circle.

I really want to love the game, as I did for years, but it's just lost the fun factor for me. And solo PVP is dead. These days, they either hide at a POS, or dock in a station. And if you actually find someone who doesn't run, then you know he's got backup waiting to jump you.

The only thing I haven't tried is straight up Piracy. I hate to ruin my sec status, as it is hell trying to get it back up, but I might just give it a try.

So what are you current Eve players doing for fun? Are there any good corps/alliances left? I'm up for any tips. If I can't get interested soon, I'm gonna let all my accounts lapse. :(

It consists of is a bunch of guys sitting on stations or gates with 4 sensor boosters or a remote sensor booster alt.
Sensor boosting Scorpion FTW!

When did Eve stop being about having fun?
The Dominion sov changes did it for me though I held on for some time after that.

If I can't get interested soon, I'm gonna let all my accounts lapse. :(
I sold most of my toons for ISK and bought GTCs which I am then selling for RL cash.for $10 each locally. It's a no-risk way to cash in on your assets and I will probably do it with my last toon that's worth anything as well.

You tried ninja-ing noob missions? I found it pretty much exciting... sitting in a salvager and ramping up the speed towards a mission wreck and looting it before the other player (usually in a badly fitted cruiser or battleship).

"Ooh! Looky here, a mission item in the wreck!" and spin around the other player for awhile at min range top speed. "Can I has your ISK?" and other taunts.

Of course, the scanning and warping into other players' missions were boring... but when you get a hit, I found it extremely fun.

That's easier said than done though..

Well it depends on how much effort you want to put in, but like I said, it's pretty easy to convert all your assets to ISK, then buy PLEX with the ISK, and then sell the PLEX locally for $10 a pop. Between craigslist, and some fliers around town (I just happen to live in a college town which makes that a bit easier), I am able to steadily sell the PLEX off.

I meet with the buyers in person at a coffee shop that has wifi, cash changes hands and I log in to give them the PLEX in game via contract. The upside to meeting in person is also that buyers tend to buy more than one at a time because the meet isn't really worth doing for just $10.

I sell about 4-5 per week, with the occasional spike of selling 10 at a time. Still have a couple hundred to go but time is on my side, especially once CCP will start to accept PLEX for more in-game stuff. Certainly beats letting the account expire and getting nothing back.

I really love the gameplay atmosphere in the EvE universe; it's unmoderated lawlessness and open feel reminds me of Ultima Online. Unfortunately, the game is fundamentally flawed in the combat and controls departments. (My opinion anyway)

Also, I heavily disprove of any game where you need multiple subscribed alt accounts in order to be successful in some portion of the game. Especially when it turns into the "arms race" that you describe, where you need to get multiple alts to fight their multiple alts, or lose. Games should never be about how much money you've dedicated to them. Hearing that EvE has turned into that makes me pretty sad, actually.

To OP:
From what you've described, it's just time for you to find a new game. What with the way the skills in that game work, and the barrier to entry for new players getting larger and larger all the time, I don't think it's possible for EvE to ever feel like it used to back in it's first years ever again (Barring fundamental mechanical changes). It's always tough to let go of an MMO you spent years of time in building a character; but better to drop it now then spend another year or two languishing around, having no fun, and wasting time in it out of habit.

I've seriously tried to play EVE online about 5 or 6 times. I just couldn't get past the very boring nature of its day to day game play , I use to think doing daily's in WoW was horrible but little did I know .. until recently it took months to learn skills (which never made sense to me).

The positive parts of EVE are its massive PVP battles and espionage (which there have been some seriously bad ass articles about that).

Right now I'm in seriously into Rift and will be into SW:OR whenever it arrives. I don't think EVE is a bad game and I know why its had serious staying power I just don't really find it for me.

I've tried trials of this game several times and it sounds so awesome but playing it is such a son of a bitch. It's so complicated and difficult for me to pick up. I would love to be a pirate and I like the sound of the 'Wild West' kind of feel but damnit, can't CCP make it easier to play?

I've tried trials of this game several times and it sounds so awesome but playing it is such a son of a bitch. It's so complicated and difficult for me to pick up. I would love to be a pirate and I like the sound of the 'Wild West' kind of feel but damnit, can't CCP make it easier to play?

It is easier. That's why the vets are pissed. They've already dumbed it down enough.

In the recent 0.0 alliances I've been in, it's either sit in station or rat, with occasional PVP blobs that take hours. Or mandatory POS ops or camping, which also takes hours. I remember Eve being fun, but can't seem to find it anymore. Plus I hate the mandatory ops. I was in a recent 0.0 alliance where you had to set your alarm and wake up in the middle of the night to do ops, or they'd look at kicking you.

When did Eve stop being about having fun? Even in the empire alliance, you get bitched at if you don't immediately get on TS as soon as you log on. I literally logged in just to change a skill, and a douche, who doesn't work and plays Eve 16 hours a day, eve mailed me and said get on TS or we'll kick you. I'd been online for less than 2 minutes, lol. I remember roaming around in small gangs having fun and getting kills, but now people are either in a POS, in a station, or they blob you.

Fair warning....I'm a Goon.

Seriously though....

One of the things I like about being in Goonwaffe (aka reformed Goonswarm) is nothing is mandatory. If you log in, you can go spend all day ratting in Venal while fighting is going on in Fountain and no one will bitch at you. There are different squads available yo join. If you just want to rat/plex all day, you join Theta. If you want to do covert hotdrops, you join Top Goon. If you spend a good amount of time discussing the finer points of pot, you join Sigma.

No ops are mandatory. No ops are Red Pen Ops. No being yelled at for not being on TS.

Yet at the same time we are taking over Fountain and making IT enter failurecascade mode. We get full reimbursements for all fleet ships.

Goons are son of a bitches who have no problem scamming, harrasing (in game), shitting up local (and TS) and being overall smug bastards. But it gives a reason to log in.

Originally Posted by Sherman901 View Post
It is easier. That's why the vets are pissed. They've already dumbed it down enough.

The problem with people wanting the game to be easier is you want your hand held. I was a long time everquest player before Eve. EQ introduced a newbie zone where you literally had your hand held while you were in there. Since you have levels, you stick to content which applies to your level. As you level up, you face harder content which is blocked to lower level players.

Not so with Eve.

Eve is a sandbox. CCP created a place to play, but has left it to players to determine the pvp related content. Yes, there are NPCs to shoot, but unlike WOW, thats not the point of eve. Unlike WOW or EQ, you don't turn on auto attack and wait for the mob to die. You have to actually think about what your doing.

Finally, in Wow or EQ, what can a 2 week old player do to a 7 year old player in PVP?

Nothing.

What can they do in Eve? They tackle the 7 year player and keep him from running away. One of the earliest Titan (largest ship in eve) kills was due to a 3 month old player decloaking him.

One of the main problem with Eve in terms of new player and even older players is that NOTHING in eve happens quickly, there is always something that needs to be done first. Its why there are so many people with alts for boring stuff like hauling and checking prices etc.

No ops are mandatory. No ops are Red Pen Ops. No being yelled at for not being on TS.
The downside is that once you are on TS (or even just reading the chat) you feel like you got hotdropped into the deepest pits of the SA forums. No thanks, too old for that, although curiously enough a large number of grown men behave like 3 year olds in your alliance.

Yet at the same time we are taking over Fountain and making IT enter failurecascade mode.
That's the only thing I am still following. There's no love lost between me and goons but seeing the demise of BLAST does feel good since Kytheria (or whatever her name is) is so inept at leadership that it is nothing short of a miracle to see how BLAST got there in the first place and was able to hang on for so long.

That's the only thing I am still following. There's no love lost between me and goons but seeing the demise of BLAST does feel good since Kytheria (or whatever her name is) is so inept at leadership that it is nothing short of a miracle to see how BLAST got there in the first place and was able to hang on for so long.

Bashing BLAST yet they still holding ground... against large mob of children (goons.) Not a hard task. Bring equal numbers of pilot and they'll crush you.

"Size does matter" Bullshit!

I tried EVE once, but after about an hour or struggling with 'What the fuck I'm supposed to do and how?" I had to uninstall it. I'm sorry, but I don't know how anyone can play this "MS Excel in space" crap.

I got a character to about 65mil SP, was in a top 0.0 alliance, and ultimately felt the same way the OP feels. I ended up quitting about a year ago. Sometimes I miss some aspects of Eve, but then I remember how boring everything else was.

Nothing beats destroying enemy POS's for 2 hours hoping to provoke a fight, only to have everybody on both sides lag out as soon as the opposition arrives. Then when the local server comes back online, you discover that a second group of enemies are down the pipe waiting for you to try to escape. Such was the case on more occasions than I care to remember.

Bashing BLAST yet they still holding ground... against large mob of children (goons.) Not a hard task. Bring equal numbers of pilot and they'll crush you.

Well, I think one reason why BLAST is still around is that they don't actually hold any space that's worth anything. The moon goo systems BLAST never had to begin with and the systems it has left are probably more trouble to take than they are worth especially since BLAST seems to be falling apart anyway.

I am not bashing BLAST per se, as in the average pilot, I am bashing the leadership. For example, they for a long time mandated the prices at which items could be sold at the BLAST stations. So for example 10-15% over Jita was acceptable but anything above that was demonized and in fact punished.

When people, or corps, went to supply the local market some people (mind you, those are the people who make 1.85 mil from a single rat kill) were whining that something that costs 80 isk in Jita would cost 280 isk in PXF, or 100k in Jita and 1.5 mil at PXF.

So it was mandated that you could not mark up your goods more than 15% above Jita. The result was that one corp left the alliance over it and the station markets were deprived of pretty much all essential goods. Shit like that, just on larger scale was going on all the time and it's not the fault of the average pilot but a failure in effective leadership.

I'm seriously thinking about finding a good pirate corp. I've never done full out pirating, and I might as well try it before my accounts lapse.

I'm seriously thinking about finding a good pirate corp. I've never done full out pirating, and I might as well try it before my accounts lapse.
The biggest problem with pirate corps today is the same that plagues the game as a whole, good fights are hard to find. I can recommend The Tuskers though you need to show 5 solo kils of which 3 need to be above your ship class to even be eligible to apply.

There will be a lot of times when there are no targets, or you are outblobbed, or camped in, or all this other stuff that happens everywhere else.

May also want to look for corps in Syndicate. That seems to be one of the few places where smaller corps still fight smaller corps without that it turns into a blob fest, but then again I haven't been there in like 10 months so who knows what's happening now. There used to be a corp called The Perfect Storm who were a great bunch also Dara Decorum (from memory?) cba to look this up now. Either way there may be some good fights to be had.

Well, I think one reason why BLAST is still around is that they don't actually hold any space that's worth anything. The moon goo systems BLAST never had to begin with and the systems it has left are probably more trouble to take than they are worth especially since BLAST seems to be falling apart anyway.

I am not bashing BLAST per se, as in the average pilot, I am bashing the leadership. For example, they for a long time mandated the prices at which items could be sold at the BLAST stations. So for example 10-15% over Jita was acceptable but anything above that was demonized and in fact punished.

When people, or corps, went to supply the local market some people (mind you, those are the people who make 1.85 mil from a single rat kill) were whining that something that costs 80 isk in Jita would cost 280 isk in PXF, or 100k in Jita and 1.5 mil at PXF.

So it was mandated that you could not mark up your goods more than 15% above Jita. The result was that one corp left the alliance over it and the station markets were deprived of pretty much all essential goods. Shit like that, just on larger scale was going on all the time and it's not the fault of the average pilot but a failure in effective leadership.

Morsus Mihi has a similar, but loose, rule regarding mark-ups (10-15% is fine), and most of the Northern Coalition follows suit while hanging out in Tribute and the surrounding regions. There's the occasional flare-up on MM forums about it, but in the past year or so there haven't been any major scuffles where tensions got high enough to care.

I'm pretty sure it's more about the people... good people breed good habits, jackwagons breed drama.

Morsus Mihi has a similar, but loose, rule regarding mark-ups (10-15% is fine).
I really don't get that, though in MM's case it's a bit different because of proximity to Empire and the general NAPfest that is the North (no offense, just stating it). Still, pricing mandates imho completely invalidate what EVE is all about. If I want to put a sensor booster up for 1 billion ISK then my corp/alliance has imho no business to tell me otherwise. It's up to the buyer whether or not they are willing to pay the price or go and haul the stuff themselves (risk, opportunity cost, etc.).

In Fountain you also have to consider that even at JDC5 it was two jumps out (unless you want to risk jumping from Vehan which is just asking to get your cap ship ganked), you need a cyno alt, you take all the risk of jumping caps to supply the market, and then someone gives you grief if you charge more than 15%? That's just unrealistic.

The end result really was that the ideologist won and the market was empty. Did that really serve the alliance? I don't think so. "Government" should stay out of "business". Those who were whining that stuff was too expensive had the opportunity to just go and haul their own stuff and put it up for less on the market, yet they didn't because they didn't have the ISK, time, cap skills, cynos, didn't want to take the risk, etc. etc., but they were quick to whine and bitch about those who did supply the market at prices that made sense to the seller.

Anyway, I obviously feel strongly that this type of interference with the free market is total bullshit and I for one did a good job of just using a trader alt with no corp history and no contract history to buy up Jita+15% items and relist them in place at prices I thought the market will bear. I didn't even do it for the ISK, I just did it to show how retarded even the notion of price mandates is in practice (though making ISK didn't hurt ofc).

The downside is that once you are on TS (or even just reading the chat) you feel like you got hotdropped into the deepest pits of the SA forums. No thanks, too old for that, although curiously enough a large number of grown men behave like 3 year olds in your alliance.

Thats only if you are in main fleet. If your a cap pilot then you get the adult TS channel. Its actually an incentive to get pilots into caps this way...

There are enough enterprising members in Goons that prevent serious gouging from happening.

How?

Multiple sellers. Low cost JF services (~100isk per m3). And just plan greed.

If a item is being gouged, then someone else will import some in to sell. If a player tries to corner the market, then others will import in stuff to sell and take advantage of the player trying to corner the market. Rarely will an item be sold for more then 20% jita. Rarley will a staple item be sold out completely. The common reply to the price of something being so high is being told to import it in and sell it and make a buck off it.

Originally Posted by Soyo13 View Post

You actually believe what you are writing?

http://evemaps.dotlan.net/alliance/Black_Star_Alliance

Blast hasn't been on the blunt end of the assault yet. In fact the only alliance to actually save their station once the siege began was Hun Reloaded (and their the only Fountain alliance worth a damned).

Back