Europe Asks Social Networks to Remove Terrorist Content Within an Hour

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The European Commission just published new social network guidelines that asks social networks to remove terrorist content within one hour of being reported. Considering the fact that the major social media companies are only able to review 81% of hate speech reports within 24 hours makes me wonder how they are going to meet the one hour request. I'm sure AI will factor into this, but anything that's totally automated is bound to make lots of mistakes while it's doing its job. I can't wait to see what unintentionally happens.

In the newly published guidelines, the Commission requests that terrorist content be reviewed and removed within one hour of it being reported because it "is the most harmful in the first hours of its appearance online." The Commission also asks social networks to implement better automated detection so that it doesn't have to rely on reports as much.

The first issue is what the hell is "hate speech"? In my experience, it's anyone talking truth these days. If they focus on the parts where people are being killed and tortured, I think they'd be able to respond a bit more quickly. Oh, did I just make a "hate speech" post?

Like all governments, they love making technical demands that are effectively either impossible or entirely impractical, and then fining you when you can't make magic happen.

And the fact that most of these social media companies aren't European; this is like free money for them.

The first issue is what the hell is "hate speech"? In my experience, it's anyone talking truth these days. If they focus on the parts where people are being killed and tortured, I think they'd be able to respond a bit more quickly. Oh, did I just make a "hate speech" post?

Slightly different context here. They specifically talk about "terrorist content" (which falls under their "hate speech" umbrella), e.g. Al-Qaeda propaganda and recruitment.

Ah the alternative reality right. Never ones to dirty their minds with information in general, let alone the tyranny of facts or knowledge.

Reading the article at least would be a start.

Lets just hope they're able to achieve better accuracy than the DMCA self-take down notices that some companies have managed give themselves here in the U.S.

muthafukin progress there.

literally hear no evil see no evil.

amazing.

money is better spent deporting actual terrorists.

So I assume police is going to raid the offending IP address if it originated from the european union in the same amount of time?

Naaah, they are just doing this for the fines.

Pretty much all the European Commision is good for and the only way they make their money- shakedown or burn it down!

You almost got me there, bruv. I guess rural types (it's in the heart) are the same everywhere.

Like all governments, they love making technical demands that are effectively either impossible or entirely impractical, and then fining you when you can't make magic happen.

I see their point. It's like grafitti. If it's on your property you can be held responsible for cleaning it up.

Its not the government's fault that these online services effectively created massive difficult-to-clean public spaces. When it becomes a public nuisance the companies bear the responsibility of cleaning it up.

Back