Eurogamer gave FarCry 3 10/10

Yes, but the suppressed .50 cal is so much more fun to fire; at least to me it is. BWOOSH! Brain matter. :D

I thought so too, until I went unsuppressed and didn't realize I had my surround up .. holy crap. Now that is bone-jarring fun :)

I thought so too, until I went unsuppressed and didn't realize I had my surround up .. holy crap. Now that is bone-jarring fun :)

man i can't wait to get back on the island with my new sound setup.

I was so engrossed in the sound that my measly onboard and $50 headphones were putting out that i had to upgrade and put the game on pause.

So soon!!

Beat the game. Watched other ending on Youtube. Onto my next game on my list. :)

Game was overall good, but I kind of wish I didn't pay full price for it.

Think I'm about halfway through right now, and so far I'd give it a solid 9. Definitely one of the best single-player games I've played in the last few years.

To add a little 'spice' to the game, run through the outposts as fast as you can dropping landmines as you go. Another trick is to get into an outpost or base, climb up on the roof of a building and dropped landmines or grenades. Freakin' hilarious seeing them try to dodge a grenade and run into a landmine. :D

Having gotten a bit deeper in, I wish you could replay outposts, which would make more sense if enemies tried to retake them.

This game would be awesome with some sort of light resource management system on top. Sort of RISK style passing soliders between outposts to protect them from being taken (or not care if that's your style).

Having gotten a bit deeper in, I wish you could replay outposts, which would make more sense if enemies tried to retake them.

This game would be awesome with some sort of light resource management system on top. Sort of RISK style passing soliders between outposts to protect them from being taken (or not care if that's your style).

this was one of my complaints. They took the complaints of FC2 and did the extreme opposite. They needed a middle ground. Even random driving or walking patrols that kept coming every so often would have been fine.

I'm thinking they will release DLC that enables something like this.. It's been quite a popular request on the Ubisoft forums.

Finally made it to the end and got all the achievements except for the co-op ones. I enjoyed the game overall, especially since it had extremely effective sniping weapons (which is my game preference). However, as others have noted the Boss battles all seemed somewhat anticlimactic since they didn't rely on your actual character skills. Also, I only came up at 90% since I got tired of doing the Wanted, Path of the Hunter, Supply Runs, and Trials of the Rakyat (although I might come back and get them later). However, it did become a little repetitive after a while and I maxed out my character on the skill tree early on the second island so I had little need to do anything for experience since experience become pointless at that point. Hopefully they come out with some decent DLC soon.

Some of my notable stats:
55 hours played
274 Km traveled on foot
1433 enemies killed
523 sniper rifle kills
384 headshot kills
16141 bullets fired
90459 money acquired
284 animals killed
218 syringes used
91 syringes crafted

The good parts of the game:
- diversity (way too many things to do so I skipped many of the contest type items since I didn't need them and they didn't appeal to me)
- environment (the jungle was very nice to look at)
- decent skill tree although the unlock strategy was weird and you ran out of skills too soon

The Bad
- The relic hunt became annoying after awhile and several of the relics were very difficult to obtain (120 of them was just too many)
- The enemy AI made sniping most bases too easy once you got the high power rifle and scope (the animal cages made taking some bases ridiculously easy)
- the main character and his friends were pretty annoying at times

The Ugly
- Boss fights were just scripted button pushing exercises and didn't really depend on your actual character skill or abilities
- The plot was pretty cartoonish most of the time and a little creepy on several occasions
- money becomes pointless after a while since you gain all the weapons from the radio tower liberation

I look forward to Far Cry 4 though and hope they can fix some of these items :cool:

I think Far Cry 2 was underrated by most sources. For me it had what was great about Far Cry (realistic gun combat in a relatively open setting) without what was bad (suddenly turning into a mutant shooter in the last 1/3).

Having finished my first run through FC3, I've started another run through 2. I'm finding it an interesting contrast, FC2 is so much more down-beat and bleak. The respawning is still as awful as it ever was, and I miss the stealth options of 3, but there's just something about it that sucks me in. And I love the HUD, or more importantly the lack of it. The buddy system is interesting but, like the factions and missions, sadly underdeveloped and shallow.
But most importantly at least you don't play a pathetic emo college brat. Oh, and no fucking QTEs.

But most importantly at least you don't play a pathetic emo college brat. Oh, and no fucking QTEs.

Emo college brat?

You're basically transformed into an unstopable murder-king by like the 3rd story mission. Your character simply cannot get enough of killing the fuck out of dudes, he loves every fucking second of it. Lighting an entire village of bad dudes on fire with a flamethrower (and literally screaming in joy while doing it), daring escapes (again screaming in excitement), fighting crocodiles with a machete after they latch on to your arm and pull you under water... that moment near the beginning where you're all freaked out that you just stabbed a guy is hilariously short lived.

Tearing bullets out of own body? What a joke.
Digging glass shards out of arm? Meh.
Setting your entire fucking arm back into place because it was snapped clean in half while jumping down a dirt road on a 5 degree incline? EASY.

Like an hour into the game and you've pretty much decided that making people dead is the most fun thing ever. Also you need to repair your boat to get off an island littered with... boats. Your apparent badassery is so stupidly broken that it manages to make the story dumber than it already was.

I think Far Cry 2 was underrated by most sources. For me it had what was great about Far Cry (realistic gun combat in a relatively open setting) without what was bad (suddenly turning into a mutant shooter in the last 1/3).

That happened in like... the 3rd level. Then it just gets more and more ridiculous with some lulls in between until you're fighting dudes that take 50 shots to kill and can rocket snipe you from 1km away.

Emo college brat?

You're basically transformed into an unstopable murder-king by like the 3rd story mission. Your character simply cannot get enough of killing the fuck out of dudes, he loves every fucking second of it. Lighting an entire village of bad dudes on fire with a flamethrower (and literally screaming in joy while doing it), daring escapes (again screaming in excitement), fighting crocodiles with a machete after they latch on to your arm and pull you under water... that moment near the beginning where you're all freaked out that you just stabbed a guy is hilariously short lived.

Tearing bullets out of own body? What a joke.
Digging glass shards out of arm? Meh.
Setting your entire fucking arm back into place because it was snapped clean in half while jumping down a dirt road on a 5 degree incline? EASY.

Like an hour into the game and you've pretty much decided that making people dead is the most fun thing ever. Also you need to repair your boat to get off an island littered with... boats. Your apparent badassery is so stupidly broken that it manages to make the story dumber than it already was.

The vast majority of shooters have pretty ridiculous character abilities but yes, this one was a little on the extreme side ... all shooters have a tendency to devalue life to a pretty low level (it is just the nature of the genre) ... even with all the silliness though I still found it a fun game ... shooters are by their nature all about killing and this one gave you plenty in that category ;)

far cry 1 did some interesting things. it did not have spawning enemies (except for one section) so that was a major change. The "healing" mechanics were actually demonstrated for FC2 but they were cut out of the game at some point. in FC3 probably the biggest waste was the crafting syringes. I did not bother with much aside from the healing.

Wasn't FC1 much more linear and not open world at all? (Kinda like Crysis 1, lots of options but still straight forward).

I feel FC3 just gets very boring after the main quest.

far cry 1 did some interesting things. it did not have spawning enemies (except for one section) so that was a major change. The "healing" mechanics were actually demonstrated for FC2 but they were cut out of the game at some point. in FC3 probably the biggest waste was the crafting syringes. I did not bother with much aside from the healing.

Most of the syringes weren't necessary but I did use the invulnerability one a few times and the one shot kill one was also useful ... the water breathing one and the animal repelling ones had certain situations where they had tactical uses ... I actually found crafting the healing syringe less useful than buying them since I kept maxing out my money and needed things to spend it on :)

Once you leveled up a bit, setting your broken thumb (that you got from killing sharks with your bare hands) heals like 80% of your health in about 2 seconds. I pretty much ignored plants 98% of the game.

Wasn't FC1 much more linear and not open world at all? (Kinda like Crysis 1, lots of options but still straight forward).

I feel FC3 just gets very boring after the main quest.

Yup, it was pretty much just like Crysis from what I remember. You could goof around like a dipshit, but there was no getting around doing your objective.

I especially like dying in a fire, then re-spawning still on fire lol. Still working on those rocks...

farcry3_d3d112013-01-0123-38-59-63.jpg

Has anyone turned off DoF by setting postfx to false in the xml file in documents\my games?

I ask because i get a weird blur while driving. Are there any other ways or removing DoF?

Has anyone turned off DoF by setting postfx to false in the xml file in documents\my games?

I ask because i get a weird blur while driving. Are there any other ways or removing DoF?

That's the motion blur. You should be able to turn it off in the xml file.

i'll wait. i hope someone figure a way to do a "realism" mod because lately these games are all coming with "pussy mode" "mangina" enabled, i mean, jesus, wheres the fucking GORE for fucks sake!?! BLOOD goddammit!! :D :D :D

ok, just reinstalled it, it says v1.4 now huh, well, let me see.. better scopes, no HUD... unlock all weapons is so cheaty hmmm.. hey wtf is that 12 gauge suppressor thing? thats retarded, hey attachments for the AK? now that is cool!

ok, fuck it, i'm not playing it again. call me when they add a whole new island DLC or some shit like that.

I don't get the feeling it'll compare to the ton of mods available on Nexus for games like Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Me either, but I don't think it needs to. Most people were super happy with the majority of the game...it was mainly after getting to the second island or finishing the game that people started voicing their complaints. Things like enemies being easy prey and the game world feeling lonely and unchallenging after outposts were captured, etc. I don't think the game needs the level of mod support displayed by titles like Oblivion (although that would admittedly be cool). I think it could use some fan-made tweaks that address the complaints that most people have...things that if fixed would turn a B game into an A game if you know what I mean.

Minor tweaks might be fine for a play through or two,and if we were talking about a standard linear shooter. But FC3 aspires to be an open world shooter,but from what I'm hearing it would take much more for it to have the staying power other open world games have,STALKER and the Fallout games are pretty much permanent fixtures on my PC due to the mods that come out for them. It seems most players aren't going much past finishing FC3 before they uninstall.

i'll wait. i hope someone figure a way to do a "realism" mod because lately these games are all coming with "pussy mode" "mangina" enabled, i mean, jesus, wheres the fucking GORE for fucks sake!?! BLOOD goddammit!! :D :D :D

Because console kids. they rule gaming and game development targets now since they're the biggest buying block. Same reason you can't blow heads off bandits in BL2 anymore like you could in Borderlands. Everything's slowly getting dumbed down to the lowest Justin Bieber, Michael Bay common denominator.

Most people were super happy with the majority of the game...it was mainly after getting to the second island or finishing the game that people started voicing their complaints. Things like enemies being easy prey and the game world feeling lonely and unchallenging after outposts were captured, etc. I don't think the game needs the level of mod support displayed by titles like Oblivion (although that would admittedly be cool). I think it could use some fan-made tweaks that address the complaints that most people have...things that if fixed would turn a B game into an A game if you know what I mean.

Yep. I loved FC3 to death up until second island. There are still some fun missions on second island but somehow the interest level drained out of me and I stopped playing about 2hrs in to the second island. Part of the problem may have been that I screwed around way too long on the first island and did everything including all the optional junk, just ran around aimlessly hunting for hours sometimes etc and so that burned me out. I know I'll be back to finish the game but not sure when.

And you're right, with the correct few tweaks the game could become drastically more replayable.

Last edited:
Minor tweaks might be fine for a play through or two,and if we were talking about a standard linear shooter. But FC3 aspires to be an open world shooter,but from what I'm hearing it would take much more for it to have the staying power other open world games have,STALKER and the Fallout games are pretty much permanent fixtures on my PC due to the mods that come out for them. It seems most players aren't going much past finishing FC3 before they uninstall.

problem is it is only open world for a small while because once you start taking out posts it loses all the open world feel and it just becomes a walk from A to B and do nothing in between. Nothing to fight or do.

I can see what you're saying, but minor tweaks would go a long way towards improving this game IMO. It's an open-world shooter, but it's not meant to be an open-world game in the same vein as Fallout or Oblivion. Take Far Cry 2...as large as that map may be, no amount of modding is going to transform it into Oblivion or Skyrim and it won't have that kind of staying power. It's just a different type of game. There aren't as many things to do and the gameplay mechanics are different (lack of depth as far as leveling up, progression, etc.). In Just Cause 2, the map is HUUUUGE and there are plenty of enemies to be found but despite that, I was ready to be done with it after 30 or 40 hours and I haven't come back to it over and over in the same way that people do with STALKER, Fallout, Oblivion, etc.

As I said, I don't think the game needs a modding scene on the scale that you're talking about...I mean it would be neat if that happened but I don't see the core game as being able to hold peoples attention span for that long. But I do think that with the addition of some mods that fix the basic common complaints, the game could have more staying power than it does now and people wouldn't be uninstalling it or putting it down as soon as they are done with it.

I doubt they'll release anything worth noting, in any form of DLC tbh. The game was stale as the sand on the beaches once you crafted most of what you need and did a few side-missions. After that all I you want to do is see the rest of the story. The animal hunting got old after about 2-3 days, and there wasn't much life on the islands outside of the animals.

Uninstalled from my PC. I'd wait for sales...if you really still like the idea of that.

That's the motion blur. You should be able to turn it off in the xml file.

Yea i tried all sorts of things in that XML file to turn off the blur, nothin worked. It only happens while using a vehicle, so i guess i'll just put up with it. It's worth having clear long-distance textures.

I'm surprised my system runs this on High settings as smoothly as it does. The fire effects are particularly fun to watch

I'm also surprised at how much I hate the characters in this game, even after reading this thread. Jason has the shittiest, I'm-still-in-high-school type of lines and his voice actor's delivery is awful. "I'm sorry you missed your shoot" Really? Who gives a fuck? Your friends are missing and your older brother is dead. Pretty sure a reasonable adult wouldn't be boo-hooing over some trivial shit like that after all the gunshots, explosions and stealthy kills that have happened by this point.

I actually want my character to have pain inflicted on him. I've jumped off the side of a cliff after a particularly stupid dialogue exchange just to find out I had to listen to it again. Fuck.

Speaking of which...let me skip through the damn scenes!!!

Just finished it and am really disappointed by the endings. Neither ending was particularly cheerful. Guess after all I went through I expected more. :(

Just finished it and am really disappointed by the endings. Neither ending was particularly cheerful. Guess after all I went through I expected more. :(

what did you expect? that at the end he'd save mankind, cure obesity, or cancer? that aliens would come out of the nowhere and give him advanced tech and he'll be immortal and rule the world? i found the end awesome, at least my first choice was. i choose the "well, since we're at it..." stuff, it caught me unaware and i found it awesome, lol, the second ending was retarded.

what did you expect? that at the end he'd save mankind, cure obesity, or cancer? that aliens would come out of the nowhere and give him advanced tech and he'll be immortal and rule the world? i found the end awesome, at least my first choice was. i choose the "well, since we're at it..." stuff, it caught me unaware and i found it awesome, lol, the second ending was retarded.

I could have had a chance to cure obesity, or cancer? Damn, I chose the wrong path then. Should have gone for that path instead. :(

Back