Eurogamer gave FarCry 3 10/10

NV GPUs Install 310.70 WHQL (has even improved performance in HDAO in the game versus 310.64 Beta)

Nevertheless with an NVIDIA you want to be using HBAO or SSAO, not HDAO - thats an AMD optimized mode.

Last edited:
This should be the official trailer for this fucking game!!! I doubt I would've bought this game, but after watching this vid I actually can't wait to redeem my free key...downloading now.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to digging into it more after watching that. I'm pretty early in.

its fun, played a hour or so tonight. I would play more, but work tomorrow. but but i think i can get another hour in. ;-)

graphics are nice.
running 1080p on ultra. game looks sharp.

Started playing the game roughly since 6 hours ago and I am barely scratching the surface. I spent most of my time upgrading my pouches and stuff, for the most part I am done/almost finished upgrading them. Just the mere hunting aspect(which I have spent most of my time doing) and the exploring is more than worth than what I have payed to play the game. The game could have been released as an island simulator and I would have been impressed. It's not though, but for what it is, it does it fantastically.

The game doesn't innovate the open world FPS genre, it doesn't really introduce anything new or groundbreaking. Instead, it redefines, in more detail what it's predecessor's were supposed to be, which is good enough. Although I don't feel FarCry 3 is raising the bar, it's more like a stop-gap that alludes to what will come in the future. It doesn't cease to amaze me when I am driving a jeep and at the corner of my screen, some National Geographic shit is going on, where a deer is running away from a tiger and then gets pounced on after the chase. What more is the developer managed to capture the very essence of this action in what I consider in a pretty damn impressive fashion. As the tiger pounces on the deer, it deals the deathblow but as it does, it's momentum causes it to roll on the ground before it goes back in to seal the deal - the whole ordeal looks as if it were from an episode of big cat week. After that, i'm on a small 2 person island collecting a relic and decide, fuck it I am gonna go swimming with fucking manta-rays!

So yeah, I guess I do like this game and believe it does live up to the hype.

Someone explain how to switch weapons? CAn you not use a knife as your main weapon instead of just for takedowns/melee?

When i press a number and hold it all of the other selections hav ea lock icon on them, am I just not far enough to use more then one weapon?

Just the mere hunting aspect(which I have spent most of my time doing) and the exploring is more than worth than what I have payed to play the game.

Agreed. As I believe someone mentioned previously in this thread, turn off music and when hunting animals try not to rely on the wallhack aka Hunter's Instinct to see where the animals are (at least until you get tired of looking). Just try to locate them with the positional audio, lurking around with the bow in the bushes. Quite a few times I've been jumped from behind by some beast because I became too fixated by tracking his buddy in front of me, and raised the hairs on the back of my neck to say the least, real WTF moments. Watch your six. Creeping around in a dark cave with just the flashlight and hearing a bear breathing can also give you the willies.

Some people say the hunting or the taking over of bases is repetitive, but I haven't found that and I've done the base takeover thing 30-40 times by now. So many ways to approach is what keeps it fresh for me. And I think I've only done 3 missions after about 16 hours of playing over the last few days. Its all about sipping not gulping the wine. If I had one gripe its that the radio towers aren't guarded with extra bads on or around them. Nothing that the FC3 map editor can't fix though once I'm done with the SP campaign. Looking forward to what the community comes up with as well.

When i press a number and hold it all of the other selections hav ea lock icon on them, am I just not far enough to use more then one weapon?

Correct. You'll need to upgrade your weapon holster/sling to get more weapon slots. Kinda one of the things to do first.

Last edited:
I guess I should start doing more of the main story...getting bored of running around capturing outposts and doing radio towers. I have like 8 unused skill points because I have to "do more missions" to unlock them. So none of it really feels like it's worth doing at the moment.

Something for the thread crappers and glass-half-full'ers

iPnrfk0tRI7Ba.gif

Last edited:
lol I love how the wildlife is so random and it attacks both other wildlife + other humans.

I am still early on, just cleared that first camp you have to before you go visit the "doctor" so I'm just exploring around, taking my time tom get there. I decide I'm going to go toward the nearest radio tower and do it first before going there. ON my way there I do a 4 wheeler race which was kind of neat (and easy money). Then after that as I'm going down the road toward the radio tower I first drive headfirst into a jeep of pirates, litearlly a head on collision with them and I get stopped in my tracks. So I quickly scramble off the atv and unload my gun into them both. Then as I'm looting the bodies I hear a vehicle coming down the road, thinking it could be more I duck off the side behind some brush and sure enough it's more pirates. They stop and get out of their jeep and look at the bodies, then stand there with their backs toward me so I do a quick takedown on one and turn and melee the other right after.

Neat I thought, then behind me I hear this guy start screaming and I turn around to see a friendly npc who's running down the road toward me as more pirates are chasing and shooting at him. I pop off some shots to try and help him then suddenly out of the jungle a pack of rapid dogs come up and kill the pirates and I'm like "yay." Then I suddenly stop hearing the guy that was screaming and look over to see him laying face down as more rapid dogs have came from the other side of the road and then they proceed to jump on my face and I run screaming like a girly man into the jungle but I didn't quite make it :(.

Not even that far in and already having a huge blast with the game.

If you wanna have some fun open up the map editor (in one of the app data folders), make a circled fenced off area, drop in a bunch of enemy ai and wild animals and create a perch to sit up and watch the mayhem.

you dont have to play it that way and Iam not exactly sure how you would make a high speed sequence like that with unique animations and multiple inputs,

personally the most fun approach I have found is LMG, Launchers, Mollys and flamers make as much noise as possible start a war and watch everything burn, its my own personal goal to see as much mayhem created as humanly possible.

Are people still going on about the rating of the game lol

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

you dont have to play it that way and Iam not exactly sure how you would make a high speed sequence like that with unique animations and multiple inputs.

Double-takedowns are an unlockable ability. Only one input is needed for each double-takedown, I believe. If that's correct, the animations and results are all automated.

They should have us do some Matrix Algebra before we take down each enemy. I need a challenge when I game DAMN IT.

Maybe I have gotten lazy in my old age but sometimes I like a game that isn't brutally hard :D ... there definitely seems to be a segment that like complex combos or narrow tactical windows and failure to meet these requirements results in instant death :eek: ... it is too bad that the game doesn't play "hard" enough for folks at the highest difficulty but mark me down for the "Don't Hurt Me" difficulty level and I will be happy :p

I did finally get to play last night and made it through the first outpost takedown ... I didn't figure out how to enable the deluxe edition items until after I took it down though so I might endure the painful beginning tonight and restart so I can try taking it down with the silenced sniper rifle (my favorite weapon) :cool:

Maybe I have gotten lazy in my old age but sometimes I like a game that isn't brutally hard :D ... there definitely seems to be a segment that like complex combos or narrow tactical windows and failure to meet these requirements results in instant death :eek: ... it is too bad that the game doesn't play "hard" enough for folks at the highest difficulty but mark me down for the "Don't Hurt Me" difficulty level and I will be happy :p

I did finally get to play last night and made it through the first outpost takedown ... I didn't figure out how to enable the deluxe edition items until after I took it down though so I might endure the painful beginning tonight and restart so I can try taking it down with the silenced sniper rifle (my favorite weapon) :cool:

I hear you, I was just doing a little bit of trolling. Watching the videos, the gameplay looks solid, even if it is only punching 2-3 buttons.

This is a really dumb question, but where the eff are the boars? I see pigs on my map, but not boars...

Are people still going on about the rating of the game lol

It just goes to show how video game ratings are almost entirely meaningless.

I don't even really bother with sites that give numerical ratings, they are almost always inflated. Reviews that make you actually read the whole thing tend to be far more informative.

Like the Ars review from yesterday http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/12/far-cry-3-review-open-world-gameplay-heavy-heavy-emphasis-on-world/, or sites like RPS.

I won't post any spoilers, but that has got to be one of the baddest ass intros into a game that I've ever experienced.

I hear you, I was just doing a little bit of trolling. Watching the videos, the gameplay looks solid, even if it is only punching 2-3 buttons.

Oh just buy the damned thing already. ;)

I'm restraining myself from any new games until I'm done with AC3 and Hitman, both of those! Then we'll talk about the next one.

Meanwhile I'm seeing you tease a return to WoW? SMH That's just sad, man.

;)

I saw it. And laughed.

:p

Psh you're just mad you didn't play when it came out. It was THE IT game to play.

Seriously though. You've got to have read/seen things on it back in 05-06.

i
I'm restraining myself from any new games until I'm done with AC3 and Hitman, both of those! Then we'll talk about the next one.
No, if you're truly hard you'll purchase any and every game that is deemed "playable" and "exciting"...install them and play 10 minutes into each, THEN return to your favorite online MP game while swearing you'll finish all of these awesome SP games.

iNo, if you're truly hard you'll purchase any and every game that is deemed "playable" and "exciting"...install them and play 10 minutes into each, THEN return to your favorite online MP game while swearing you'll finish all of these awesome SP games.

Or this. This works too. Been there done that plenty haha.

iNo, if you're truly hard you'll purchase any and every game that is deemed "playable" and "exciting"...install them and play 10 minutes into each, THEN return to your favorite online MP game while swearing you'll finish all of these awesome SP games.

As shitty as UBI treats us they should give us an achievement and some Uplay points if we actually risk being ostrasized from the gaming community by owning and playing multiple UBI titles at the same time :p

Psh you're just mad you didn't play when it came out. It was THE IT game to play.

Seriously though. You've got to have read/seen things on it back in 05-06.

I remember some of it.

Will never happen. I'm anti-MMO.

There ya go. ;)

As shitty as UBI treats us they should give us an achievement and some Uplay points if we actually risk being ostrasized from the gaming community by owning and playing multiple UBI titles at the same time :p

On this one, though, I think the black hat is on Digital River for problems for some folks.

personally the most fun approach I have found is LMG, Launchers, Mollys and flamers make as much noise as possible start a war and watch everything burn, its my own personal goal to see as much mayhem created as humanly possible.

Yeah, I think I'm going to start doing that. I've already captured enough bases "undetected" to have access to all the skill points (as far as I can tell) so I might as well just go loud at this point. One thing that is funky is sometimes when using a silenced sniper rifle while crouching I will still be seen by an enemy that is hundreds of meters away. Whereas sometimes I can circle strafe around behind a rock 10 feet away from a guy and he'll never even know I'm there. The AI detection seems a little broken sometimes.

Also, going loud and failing to clear the guys before reinforcements arrive can become pretty challenging. Sometimes you will get several guys just spamming molotovs all around you, gets pretty intense. It's actually kind of a needed difficulty jump from just easily sniping guys from 200m away.

Get back to Dark Souls.

Played a solid two hours last night and honestly though it was about 30 mins. My fave part was spotting a poisonous snake coiled by a guard tower. I throw a couple rocks to lure the guard down to the bottom and the snake did the rest. Haha, LOVE IT!!!

Back