Eurogamer gave FarCry 3 10/10

The only 10/10 game I can think of is the first Half Life. I'm seriously struggling to think of others. Even CS, take any version, I don't think I could give a 10/10, and I played that freaking game for over 10 years. EDIT: Maybe Warcraft2/Starcraft 1?

I don't think I could give any game more than a 9.5/10 or 9.8/10. Maybe Unreal Tournament or Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake perhaps. It's hard to say. I can usually nitpick about one or two things that could have been done better in most games. The games I mentioned are probably the hardest I can think of to pick apart. And that's basically going back to how I viewed them when they came out and not by today's standards.

... And... your point? This whole rating/perfection elitism thing is blown way out of proportion. I have rated a plethora amount of games a 10, ranging from Zelda Ocarina Of Time, all the way though modern day hits like Arkham City a perfect score. You gonna call the electronic police and have me arrested? lol

C'mon, give me a break. How many times do i gotta say this, there will never be a perfect fucking game out there. It's up to YOU. KEYWORD = YOU. It's up to you to decide for yourself whether the game merits the score that it deserves. I could very well be a Far Cry elitist[right this exact moment], and dispute every single opinion and rating you may have given FC1 & 2, but where will that leave you? That's right, absolutely nowhere.

A rating of a 10/10 for me means a game that is a must play - if you enjoy the genre. I've seen FPS players try Skyrim and hate it. Not enough action. Same with the other way around. I've played some 10's (given by reviewers) that I've hated. But, I've played some 5's that I've loved. Reviewers have bias towards certain genres by nature, even if they try not to. Read multiple reviews, read what others are saying about a game. You'll find someone that is similar to you and find a relevant review.

But, in this case, with a lot of really solid reviews from a lot of different sources - it looks like it's going to be a great game. I'm certainly going to try it out. May not be a 10 to me, but it should rank fairly high.

One thing i would prefer in games like far cry 3 is random sporadic spawning of mobs so that you never know what to meet where and when. And then drop that story crap. Make it more like an fps roguelike sort of thing. Should improve replayability massively and would be easier to produce?

One thing i would prefer in games like far cry 3 is random sporadic spawning of mobs so that you never know what to meet where and when. And then drop that story crap. Make it more like an fps roguelike sort of thing. Should improve replayability massively and would be easier to produce?

I like the story crap :p ... maybe they need to have something like the Star Craft and original HoMM models ... Story based campaign ... multiplayer maps ... non-story single player maps (or in the case of an open world shooter a true sandbox area) ... that way they can please all three crowds :cool:

Maybe they can dumb it down so hard, that when you do a mission, text appears in some obscure font in the top right corner telling you what to do next, then you do it. No voices, nothing. You do that for about 8 hours, the game ends, and uninstalls itself.

That'd be nice. Oh, also a lot of bugs. Like people popping in and out, vegetation flying away, etc.

I like the story crap :p ... maybe they need to have something like the Star Craft and original HoMM models ... Story based campaign ... multiplayer maps ... non-story single player maps (or in the case of an open world shooter a true sandbox area) ... that way they can please all three crowds :cool:

Ofcourse you do. Cant you just go watch a b movie for your corny mainstream nonsense? Im being sincere. Ressources they spend on dialogues, acting and what have you are ressources not spent on gameplay.

Ofcourse you do. Cant you just go watch a b movie for your corny mainstream nonsense? Im being sincere. Ressources they spend on dialogues, acting and what have you are ressources not spent on gameplay.

There are enough mindless run 'n gun shooters out there already. Some of us do prefer a game that has an immersive quality and requires a little more thinking than pulling a trigger.

There are enough mindless run 'n gun shooters out there already. Some of us do prefer a game that has an immersive quality and requires a little more thinking than pulling a trigger.

Huh? Ok that was not what i was getting at. But i guess those scripted story events do bring some change to the pace on some level. Im not a fan of it though. The downside is once you been through it once its going to be drastically less enjoyable second time around. Youve already seen it. I think AAA games these days seem to be produced like interactive movies rather than actual games, only meant to be played once, maybe a few times. There are plenty of good books and movies that will tell a story much better than any game. I prefer games with replayability. Maybe its just me but i can imagine games much more fun than what were being fed these days

Even if Far Cry 3 genuinely turns out to be good, I still won't buy it until it's deeply discounted to even out paying full price for FC2. Yes, I'm still bitter.

Wait this is a new engine? All the gameplay i've seen, frankly it kinda looks like ass.
Huh? Ok that was not what i was getting at. But i guess those scripted story events do bring some change to the pace on some level. Im not a fan of it though. The downside is once you been through it once its going to be drastically less enjoyable second time around. Youve already seen it. I think AAA games these days seem to be produced like interactive movies rather than actual games, only meant to be played once, maybe a few times. There are plenty of good books and movies that will tell a story much better than any game. I prefer games with replayability. Maybe its just me but i can imagine games much more fun than what were being fed these days

I know exactly what you're talking about... Assasins Creed 3 is a good example of a movie-game. TONS of story and cutscenes, very very little gameplay. And even then the gameplay is half cutscenes anyway. Or the Black Ops 2 Campaign--that also looked like a movie-game.

Last edited:

Totally of the opposite opinion. I can't stand just running around shooting random enemies for no particular reason. If that's going to be the case, why not just replay Quake? If there isn't some story or reason for what I'm doing, I don't play the game. Also, just because there is a story doesn't mean there isn't replayability - a good game with a plot/story will have even more playability if there are multiple branches to explore.

Totally of the opposite opinion. I can't stand just running around shooting random enemies for no particular reason. If that's going to be the case, why not just replay Quake? If there isn't some story or reason for what I'm doing, I don't play the game. Also, just because there is a story doesn't mean there isn't replayability - a good game with a plot/story will have even more playability if there are multiple branches to explore.

Oh, you're saying Quake sucks. More penance due.

Quake was amazing, the MP even more so. But honestly in my old age (;)), I just can't play single player games like that any more. Serious Sam is fun for all about 5 minutes, if that. Multiplayer is a whole different story.

Quake was amazing, the MP even more so. But honestly in my old age (;)), I just can't play single player games like that any more. Serious Sam is fun for all about 5 minutes, if that. Multiplayer is a whole different story.

Unfortunately, I fell into that rut with Serious Sam as well. I actually think SS3 is great, but I can't play more than 20 minutes of it at a time without co-op.

I don't mind action focused games with story in the background, but I also don't mind heavily story based games with action in the background. It all depends on application. In the end, I'd prefer great combat and a great story, but not everything can be Dark Souls.

I don't expect the story in FC3 to be particularly good, but I do expect the gameplay and sandbox to make up for that. Besides, FarCry never had a good story. It's silly/serious action movie shit, and I'm fine with that.

Seems to be quite a few people not ready to pull the trigger on an FC3 purchase. Can't say I blame ya after FC2. Sall good, I'm willing to take one for the team!

Since I'm in NZ, the game is releasing in about 20 hours. I'm surprised pre-load isn't available yet.

NZ gets it early? Steam says it's not out for another week here in the US....

It looks more promising than Far Cry 2. Still can't justify the 50 dollar price tag. Maybe it will go on sale this Christmas.

8p10n.gif

Apparently, politics and propaganda don't mix too well in the Far Cry civilization :p

Regardless, I wouldn't trust a official/mainstream/popular gaming review source, even if my life depended on it. I've been foolishly back stabbed and deceived countless number of times by these corporate penny-swinging savages.

When will people learn, it's not about the reviews, it's about doing the first hand research yourself ; as well as understanding and figuring out what criteria needs to be matched(for you) before actually taking the plunge. And then learning from second-hand mistakes if you made a terrible choice . That's how it should always be IMO, not someone who's in higher authority, who very well could actually be sucking Bill Gate's dick on the side.

... And... your point? This whole rating/perfection elitism thing is blown way out of proportion. I have rated a plethora amount of games a 10, ranging from Zelda Ocarina Of Time, all the way though modern day hits like Arkham City a perfect score. You gonna call the electronic police and have me arrested? lol

C'mon, give me a break. How many times do i gotta say this, there will never be a perfect fucking game out there. It's up to YOU. KEYWORD = YOU. It's up to you to decide for yourself whether the game merits the score that it deserves. I could very well be a Far Cry elitist[right this exact moment], and dispute every single opinion and rating you may have given FC1 & 2, but where will that leave you? That's right, absolutely nowhere.

You can have a 12 year old kid give Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days a spectacular rating, but at the end of the day, all you can do is either a) argue, b)rage quit, or c)sit the fuck down and do absolutely nothing about it.

Thank you for taking the time to justify to me why you like shit games

NZ gets it early? Steam says it's not out for another week here in the US....

Yeah, NZ apparently fits under the EU release schedule of November 29th. One of the very few instances I have seen EU getting an earlier release than NA.

I like FarCry 2. In fact, it was one of my favorite games; and I've played a LOT of games. Of course, I got it years after release and expected the absolute worst. I had very low expectations going in.

I need help. Is there a Bad Game-Lovers Anonymous program I can subscribe to?

yea i gave fc2 a good go, reached halfway and said fuck this shit

I like FarCry 2. In fact, it was one of my favorite games; and I've played a LOT of games. Of course, I got it years after release and expected the absolute worst. I had very low expectations going in.

I need help. Is there a Bad Game-Lovers Anonymous program I can subscribe to?

If there is, it is probably full of Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever fans (if there are any) :D ... there are far worse games than FC2 to like :p

Besides, although someone can judge whether THEY like a game and they can have an opinion on whether someone else will, no one can tell you that you are wrong because YOU actually like a game they don't ;)

Last edited:
At least forum users aren't influenced by advertiser dollars. A professional reviewer can get fired if he's too honest about a bad game.

Which is pretty pathetic.

BladeVenom said:
Gaming mags and most websites are industry shills. They usually will not even mention what DRM is used no matter how bad it is.

Also unfortunate, but I did notice that a couple of reviews (I think IGN and Gamespot?) mentioned the infamous always-on DRM in their ACII reviews, and they definitely didn't have good things to say about it. Also I think sites that don't do game reviews are more likely to point out and post articles about BS like crappy DRM and broken promises made by publishers.

Whoa there. I'm not comparing it to Stalker. I agree with you. I'm just saying...

If you play Far Cry 2 like Stalker, walking, running and Stalking, even taking on easily avoidable check points, it's a much more fun game. esp. if you only have a bolt-action sniper and a .45 and play the game on infamous difficulty.

If you're driving all over the place, taking the bus and using all the heavy arms and machine guns, then I can definitely see how it becomes boring and repetitive.

I knew what you meant in that it wasn't your intention to compare the game to STALKER. And I agree that sometimes the environment can be pretty intoxicating and that the game could be fun to play like you describe for a while, but there's no way I could finish the game playing that way. Between the large map (with nothing to do in between unlike GTA except admire the scenery, shoot helpless animals and start grass fires) and the slow walking speed, using the vehicles and buses is vital to not becoming bored out of your mind because it's taking 50 hours to complete the campaign.

But that's just a difference in play styles I guess, and there's no right or wrong there. Just Cause 2 is a good looking game too, but there's no way in hell I would walk and swim everywhere.

If there is, it is probably full of Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever fans (if there are any) :D ... there are far worse games than FC2 to like :p

Besides, although someone can judge whether THEY like a game and they can have an opinion on whether someone else will, no one can tell you that you are wrong because YOU actually like a game they don't ;)

Wrong. All games are shit and you're shitty for liking them.

Wrong. All games are shit and you're shitty for liking them.

And once you realize this, and that since you too are shit, you shouldn't feel bad for liking "shitty" games, you will reach gaming Nirvana. Social Nirvana, on the other hand, will be very far away.

Between the large map (with nothing to do in between unlike GTA except admire the scenery, shoot helpless animals and start grass fires) and the slow walking speed, using the vehicles and buses is vital to not becoming bored out of your mind because it's taking 50 hours to complete the campaign.

do we know this is the case? Hopefully there is shit scattered all over to explore, loot, check out in general.

Hopefully.

And once you realize this, and that since you too are shit, you shouldn't feel bad for liking "shitty" games, you will reach gaming Nirvana. Social Nirvana, on the other hand, will be very far away.

I'm not at peace with my shitty tastes, nor should you be!

do we know this is the case? Hopefully there is shit scattered all over to explore, loot, check out in general.

Hopefully.

All reviews, gameplay trailers and comments are leaning towards it being jam packed with stuff to do all over the island.

It looks more promising than Far Cry 2. Still can't justify the 50 dollar price tag. Maybe it will go on sale this Christmas.

I got it for 30% off with voucher GMG30-0S3NJ-32J92 at greenmangaming. May be an EU thing though.

TB seems to like it, but he's obsessing a bit too much perhaps on the inventory, doesn't seem like the most important thing in the game.

So many games. Please stop releasing games for a few months, I still have Dishonored, AC3, XCOM to play through.

How many games actually score 10/10 though? Thats pretty impressive.. I think the only other semi recent game that got really high likings was prolly skyrim.. although totally different type of game.

How many games actually score 10/10 though? Thats pretty impressive.. I think the only other semi recent game that got really high likings was prolly skyrim.. although totally different type of game.

I wouldn't be so sure! One previewer/reviewer likened it to Skyrim with guns lol

I'm guessing that was a pretty generalized statement though.

I miss the way PC gamer did game reviews in the 90's. It'd go up to 100 possible points, with many categories being individually reviewed, like graphics, sound, gameplay, etc

So like skyrim may have scored a 10/10 on the graphics/world portion, it would have gotten like 5/10 on dialogue/rpg elements, and thus fallen short of 100 points overall.

Cynical Brit did a nice 48 minute long playthrough and was rather beaming about the whole experiance he had with the game. I tend to follow his reviews because his opinions are pretty parallel game wise with my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvMQAkoue6w&feature=g-u

Nice watch.

I loved the part where he was wading into the river while whining about how good a shot the main character is when he was attacked by an alligator :D

Back