Euclideon Holographic Technology is Back in Arcade Tables

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Back in 2011, we interviewed Bruce Dell, the CEO of the then controversial company Euclideon. 5 years later, we interviewed them again as the company was showing off their "holographic room" technology. Now, it seems that technology has made the jump to a smaller form factor, as Euclideon has just unveiled a set of commercial holographic arcade tables. New Atlas just posted an in-depth interview with Bruce Dell.

The company recently uploaded a video of the new tech, which you can see here.

The floor you stand on, or put your seat on, is a vibrating soundboard that lets you feel the reverberations from actions and events in the game, which amplifies the experience nicely. And the whole thing, as it'll be sold to arcades, sits in a dark, curtained-off booth with video screens on the sides telling people how to play the games. It'll integrate with the card-based payment systems at most arcades, and while Euclideon only has around a dozen games right now, it built those in just six months, and is gushing out new titles at a furious rate.

He seemed way too proud to say that they'll translate the games to arabic... Arabic!? why. hologram games market is likely not with arabic speakers.

Is this something I’ll see at my yearly trip to Dave N Busters?

He seemed way too proud to say that they'll translate the games to arabic... Arabic!? why. hologram games market is likely not with arabic speakers.

He said they're opening a center in Oman, which is an Arabic speaking country, in the Middle East.

Well this certainly looks a lot cooler than Sega's Time Traveler and Holloseum, but they need to get some good gameplay if they want it to have staying power. I'm assuming they don't have good gameplay, because most of the video was of the dude while he was talking; if they had a great game, they would have been showing that for a lot more of the time. Depending on their staff size, pumping out a game a month isn't unreasonable; these games are obviously not going to be super deep and full of level design and art, but that's not really necessary -- they really should be exploring the space, figuring out which genres fit and releasing anything that's fun enough; once you find something that really works, you can circle back and build a more detailed game on that.

YES!!!!! I can finally play Hungry Hungry Hippos in full 3D on a table... ...wait...

Seriously though, it could be fun. What would be cool is some Combat (like Atari Combat) style games where you can control tanks or planes, and fight other players in 3D space. I'd play something like that.

Q-Bert, Congo Bongo, Crystal Castles, or other isometric arcade games could be cool too.

Or maybe some kind of simplistic RTS, but your own base is on one table while the opposing team is on another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perspective based 3D imaging is nothing new.
LCD glasses being used for stereoscopic imaging, again, is nothing new.
It can do up to 8 people? By shutting off vision while others see the their own perspectives? Welcome to an increasingly transparent image.

This guy is really hamming up old tech as new.

Because that preceded the statement "We'll be opening up <a store> in Oman" so yeah, question why Oman instead of downtown Philly or something, but translating to Arabic is hardly odd if you're opening up a store in a largely Arabic speaking/reading/writing part of the world.

Is this something I’ll see at my yearly trip to Dave N Busters?

prob not for a good while. there setting up shop in over in alcaidaville first. prob because its the only place with people that have enough money, and are dumb enough, to pay the exorbitant prices they want to play a holagraphic version of hungry hungry hippo...

prob not for a good while. there setting up shop in over in alcaidaville first. prob because its the only place with people that have enough money, and are dumb enough, to pay the exorbitant prices they want to play a holagraphic version of hungry hungry hippo...
I’d probably pay. Well in this case the company would pay since they sponsor the trip.

are you saying you may have a chance to try it out??? :)
More and more business is being done in the ME.

We sent some guys to Saudi Arabia recently. So it’s definirely a possibility.

Really just depends on where this thing is being rolled out. I’m intrigued though.

When is Star Wars chess coming out?
I really don't have much interest in this tech. I see it as a gimmick. Might be neat the first few times, but then nothing. Anyone remember the original Microsoft Surface? It was basically a large touch screen (used camera). There were a few interesting demos available, but the market was always niche (think they cost about $5k).

I hope something comes of this. Something like this if picked up and evolved would give arcades a reason to exist again.

I get we all want something exciting, but remember that our Playstation 4s and xbox's all started with pong.

the reason to go to arcades was because you couldn't get a comprable experience at home. And until now the only weighs they've been able to survive is with a gimmick attached. Arcade game play has drastically regressed.

I don't claim to know the history of this company and whether or not they're a bunch of charlatans, but if they found a way to do 3D gaming, true holographic 3D gaming, then I think we may see a rise in arcades once again that we haven't seen since then early 90s.

Back