EU Will Start Using AI Lie Detectors at Border Crossing Points

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Computers could already catch lies back in 2012. But machine learning has come a long way since then, and now, the EU wants to use "AI" lie detector technology at border crossing points. The system developed by iBorderCtrl uses an virtual border guard to ask travelers questions, and AI to assess their responses.

Questions include, "What's in your suitcase?" and "If you open the suitcase and show me what is inside, will it confirm that your answers were true?" according to New Scientist. The system reportedly records travelers' faces using AI to analyze 38 micro-gestures, scoring each response. The virtual agent is reportedly customized according to the traveler’s gender, ethnicity, and language. For travelers who pass the test, they will receive a QR code that lets them through the border. If they don't, the virtual agent will reportedly get more serious, and the traveler will be handed off to a human agent who will asses their report. But, according to the New Scientist, this pilot program won't, in its current state, prevent anyone’s ability to cross the border.

Issue with AI systems is they are still run by data. Thus the people who do really bad shit can always beat them. So we can feel good by turning away the "small fries" and then go "why o why" when something truly terrible happens.

Great, more money to some electronics device scamming firm no doubt.

"Pardon me, but do the two of you have anything you'd like to declare?"

"Dave's not here..."

cheech-and-chong-at-the-border.jpg

Will these be set up on the beaches for all the doctors and engineers coming in on raft?
This.
I'm actually shocked the EU remembered that borders are a thing.
I shouldn't be shocked though, it's a way to spend money while pretending to do something.
I think criminals in the EU just have to claim to be a refugee and they'll be fed, clothed, housed, and provided a stipend as well as hookers and blow.

This.
I'm actually shocked the EU remembered that borders are a thing.
I shouldn't be shocked though, it's a way to spend money while pretending to do something.
I think criminals in the EU just have to claim to be a refugee and they'll be fed, clothed, housed, and provided a stipend as well as hookers and blow.

One does not want to be mistaken for a refugee in the EU if one can help it - you would risk being deported to such "safe" countries as Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

One does not want to be mistaken for a refugee in the EU if one can help it - you would risk being deported to such "safe" countries as Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.
The particular comment you're replying to was meant as a joke. I thought it would have been obvious, especially considering the hookers and blow remark.

So wait, if you tell the detector that you have a bomb in your suitcase and it sees you're lying, you can make a joke?

I mean my last trip to Berlin I just walked around staring and flipping off CC cameras the entire time. I may or may not have been drunk off my ass.

1984 is already happening.
At least it's not like at the US border where they have the permission to confiscate and search your personal storage medias at will.

At least it's not like at the US border where they have the permission to confiscate and search your personal storage medias at will.
In all my international travel I’ve never had that happen. I know it does— but I’ve often wondered what the basis is for the decision. I get extra security screenings (or used to) all the time. Traveling with a Mohawk in my 20s led to pretty regular searches at TSA. I was flying to Mexico and Europe around 4-6 times a year with electronics and never got stopped.

The lie detector is going to be used for people who come into the country illegally and ask for asylum. It's basically a way to screen for potential terrorists or people who intend to migrate and have a free pass using the asylum card. EU is spending a billion a year paying the upkeeping of young men who claim they need asylum but still go on vacations to their home country.

The lie detector is going to be used for people who come into the country illegally and ask for asylum. It's basically a way to screen for potential terrorists or people who intend to migrate and have a free pass using the asylum card. EU is spending a billion a year paying the upkeeping of young men who claim they need asylum but still go on vacations to their home country.
There's a great chance that we'll be reading stories about how they figured out a way to *trick* the AI a few months after this is implemented.
The success rate of this product isn't great to start with. As far as I can tell, it hasn't even been tested on a large sample size of individuals. It will be tested in the field they say.

Also, from the article, there is no claim that this is being used to screen 'asylum seekers' or will be used as such in the future. This kind of tech faces rather large obstacles when dealing with people of different races as we've seen in the past.
And..
There are no plans to prevent people from crossing the border if they fail the initial AI screening.
So instead of training border security to do their jobs better, the EU will quite possibly make many reliant on this tech to decide which individuals need only a cursory screening or a more thorough check.

Bad idea. All the way around it's a bad idea.
Tech is not always the solution to a problem.
I'd rather see border security trained well and paid well.

Back