EU Wants to Scrap Seasonal Time Changes

It's hilarious how the fucked up state of Arizona is the only one with half a brain to stop acknowledging DST

Yeah. Then you get a job that’s tied to customers so your working hours change anyways because of DST. I can’t win! Lol

DST might have made sense (kind of) way back when, but most of the inhabited earth is now 24/7, so it does NOT save any power at all, certainly does not save daylight LOL.

Back when ? Most countries observe DST only since '70s or '80s.

Now we know where MS got the idea to reinstall their OS twice/year. Leave time alone and leave Windows alone. All these changes every six months are ridiculous. Pick one and stay with it.

Well wonder of wonders, the EU finally seeks to do something which doesn't have me wishing for the nuking of Brussels.

+100

Shocked that I actually agree with something the EU wants to do. Probably means this has no chance of passing :p

I actually like changing the clocks.

The best part is getting to listen to all the toddlers cry because their nap schedule shifted ever so slightly.

Just move it back 30 minutes and keep it that time all year around. Therefore both sides get half of what they want.

You know, with our modern world consisting of digital technologies, it would be very possible to recenter the time very day.

If you ever had to manage a wide variety of devices with different operating systems you wouldn't even joke about that, let alone half way seriously suggest it.

BS changes to time screw up all kinds of stuff on a routine basis - it costs hundreds of millions annually. How DST is still thing simply boggles my mind.

It's not that DLS needs to die. Standard time needs to die and DLS needs to be all year. I much prefer more sun in the evening.

Come to Alaska during the months of May to July. It is a gold mine if you want sunlight in the evening. ;)

If you ever had to manage a wide variety of devices with different operating systems you wouldn't even joke about that, let alone half way seriously suggest it.

BS changes to time screw up all kinds of stuff on a routine basis - it costs hundreds of millions annually. How DST is still thing simply boggles my mind.

Agreed. I was kind of thinking of doing the linux approach. Keep everything running UTC under the hood, and translate it to something user friendly as part of the user interface.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
You know, with our modern world consisting of digital technologies, it would be very possible to recenter the time very day.

Find the midpoint between sunrise and sundown, make that noon. Adjust a few minutes every day. Have it be dynamic.

The midpoint between sunrise and sunset is noon. Moves around the earth every 24 hours, right?

Not sure what you mean?

I'd be cool with keeping the US on summer time all year so there can be some evening sun in the winter.

I get up at 6am and leave work at 5pm or after, doesn't really matter because by the time I can drive home it will be dark anyhow, so I vote just sync with standard time so it doesn't mess up my system on my telescope for making astrophotos. My friend always complained and said he wanted the extra hour of daylight so he could do things at home after work, but I once pointed out that it was already dark almost an hour before we leave so he gained nothing or lost nothing lol. If you live in the more northern states it matters even less unless you get off work before 4pm.

I get up at 6am and leave work at 5pm or after, doesn't really matter because by the time I can drive home it will be dark anyhow, so I vote just sync with standard time so it doesn't mess up my system on my telescope for making astrophotos.
I teach multiple astronomy labs at night, the later the time before the sun goes down, the worse off it is for my students, if it didn't get to nautical twilight until 9-9:30pm then I wouldn't ever go out (class ends at 10)

I have read that China uses one time zone.
That's true, and it's pretty damn stupid. China should span 4 or 5 different time zones but they all use Beijing time, which is fine...if you live near Beijing.
It's problematic for those in the west of China like Xinjiang. Some locals keep their watches set to the actual time instead of Beijing time...but they can be, and are sometimes arrested for it.
I wish I was making this up.
https://www.businessinsider.com/uig...differently-beijing-human-rights-watch-2018-9

For anyone interested in learning more about the douchebaggery that goes on..
https://www.ft.com/content/ac0ffb2e-8b36-11e8-b18d-0181731a0340
There is much more to it.

Last edited:
And then you have to check the difference and adjust all your clocks manually every day to make them show the correct time...
Rubbish!

EU finally proved the old adage "you can't be wrong all the time" right. Good job, took you long enough to get one right EU.
Yes, one right and one wrong. Getting rid of the time change is good, having each nation individually decide what time zone to use is bad.

I also want the clock changing to stop and "summer time" all year around. The "winter time" may be the normal time if you look at earths rotation but It sucks for us factory workers here up north. ...
I can only agree. To me it doesn't matter if sunrise is 9 a.m. or 10 a.m. but sunset matters in the afternoon.
As it is now you have to set the clock back just when it would help the most to not do it.
In the afternoon you get overnight from "sun about to go down" to "late dusk".
In the mornings the week before going to wintertime the sun is very low above the horizon, causing annoying (and potentially dangerous) glare while going to work. And just as that problem is gone by the sun not reaching high enough you set the clock back an hour and get the same problem for another week...

Well, which one is it? The day starts at noon with GMT, while it starts at midnight with UTC :cool:.

A GMT day hasn't started at noon for a veeeery long time. The reason back then was that astronomers were able to have an entire night captured in one day's entry.

They don't change the calendar date in the UK at noon for example... but at midnight.

And then you have to check the difference and adjust all your clocks manually every day to make them show the correct time...
Rubbish!

The old fashioned manual clock without a computer and connectivity to back it up is so quaint. Who even buys these anymore? :p

I dont care what times we use, standard, savings, hippie, Beijing, GMT, as long as it doesnt change. Pick something and stick with it.

I think in the US it is a politician's badge of honor to NEVER eliminate daylight's saving time... it's to rub it in constituents face, just how much they don't serve the general's public interests in anyway shape or form.
Know your place Joe public, know your place.

Daylight savings gets the hate of most people and should be nixed already!.

This is what has always bugged me, especially when there is a claim that it "saves energy". How, exactly, does it save energy when the time is such that you need to turn on all the lights int he morning, AND turn on all the lights as soon as you get home?
Well the problem is you're thinking about the now, with all of our modern conveniences everything from A/C, ways to keep food cold and not spoil, washing clothes and dishes without gaining any muscles, and of course all the electronic areas of entertainment, and in that sense only 9% of our total energy needs come from lighting. When you wash stuff doesn't matter, your food doesn't care the time of day to keep itself cold, your TV shows you watch matters not regardless if you watch them now or later. So in this modern world, there's really not much of an energy savings by switching times around, however the idea of DST is more of something that's kept around probably just because we tend to become curmudgeons in our old ways, the only real reason people care about them is if they have work schedules that benefit from enjoying light more at night, it's the same amount of light, and sounds like a lot of people want the summer time schedule just because they benefit due to their work schedule, I sure as hell don't benefit from it.

It exists... it's called GMT/UTC. All other times are just plus or minus GMT... :)
The problem isn't the existence of such a system, the problem is no one follows it... except those who live locally to it. I mean I can say I have "Wake time" which means all stores should be open because it's "wake time" damnit, want to close up for the day? Well you can do that when it's "Sleep time"

Back