EU Wants to Scrap Seasonal Time Changes

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Right now, Europeans have to move their clocks an hour forward in March and an hour back in October as part of a widely maligned energy saving scheme. But the European Union wants to change that. The EU Commission says that member countries will have the option of staying on Winter or Summer time in October 2019. Maybe other countries will come to their senses and follow suit soon. Thanks to modi123 for the tip.

"Newer studies confirm that the energy savings are nowadays marginal," Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic said. "We are clearly heading toward smart cities, smart buildings and smart solutions which will bring much more savings than changes of the clock."

Last edited:
Get rid of all floating time changes!!! To hell with energy saving shifts, and to hell with DST!! Also to hell with Benjamin Franklin and anyone else who came up with this idea while I'm at it! Also to hell with the mechanical glass armonica!

I feel better now. :D

Massachusetts has been talking about this for some time.

The consensus seems to be that it would make a ton of sense, but we can only do it if neighboring states do as well.

I'd be all for it. I find daylight savings to be an annoyance.

why not just set the time in the middle and get it over with.. wouldn't that make the most sense?

why not just set the time in the middle and get it over with.. wouldn't that make the most sense?

You know, with our modern world consisting of digital technologies, it would be very possible to recenter the time very day.

Find the midpoint between sunrise and sundown, make that noon. Adjust a few minutes every day. Have it be dynamic.

Province of Saskatchewan in Canada does not have DST. In Alberta there was a bill to get rid of DST last year but it was voted down 46 to 6 unfortunately. I have a strong dislike for DST because I work a lot with IP Cameras and they have the worst support for DST and it's not standard across the board so it's a pain.

Sometimes I think things would be easier if we just all used UTC, but I think that's too big a change for people to accept. And you'd trade one set of problems for another. DST could go though... I really don't see how it makes the world a better place.

DST might have made sense (kind of) way back when, but most of the inhabited earth is now 24/7, so it does NOT save any power at all, certainly does not save daylight LOL.

also, while we might be able to trick our external clocks (the ones we look at) our bodies as well as virtually all animals and plant life go by the ACTUAL time, it does not care if we skip ahead or fall behind, its a stupid practise, and should have died out many decades ago.

so it will be "dark" at 6am during the winter, and bright around the same time during summer, who bloody cares, it is still 6am ^.^

time zones maybe make a difference in some aspects, but DST is horrid and stupid and likely ends up costing much much more than it ever actually saved, especially from them power companies who really do not give a flying fk either way, machines and people all start up the same time every day, every year, have for many generations, so what did DST actually "save" LMFAO

If you are a "Farmer" you know what time you need to be up, and what time you need to go in, the clock on the wall going back or forward means sweet fuck all, so, set it to one time and be done with it, much simpler and likely power companies and business can compensate either way, you start at 6am, you start at 6am, no matter the "time" of the year...

You know, with our modern world consisting of digital technologies, it would be very possible to recenter the time very day.

Find the midpoint between sunrise and sundown, make that noon. Adjust a few minutes every day. Have it be dynamic.
But that differs from a precise measurement every time you travel east or west. Thus the invention of Standard Time, and the development of Time Zones. However, I do believe that there should be a standardized, non-seasonal time set that would be roughly the same "high noon" year round.

I can get behind everyone just using UTC. I would love to see the chaos normies would incite initially if the world went this way.
I'd be cool with keeping the US on summer time all year so there can be some evening sun i nthe winter.
Standard time all the way. I hate having the sun go down at an unreasonable hour during the summer. It's a real pain in the ass when you live close to the Tropic of Cancer, trying to go to sleep around 21:00 and the sun has just started setting.

I can get behind everyone just using UTC. I would love to see the chaos normies would incite initially if the world went this way.

Standard time all the way. I hate having the sun go down at an unreasonable hour during the summer. It's a real pain in the ass when you live close to the Tropic of Cancer, trying to go to sleep around 21:00 and the sun has just started setting.

Blackout curtains?

EU coming to their senses and ditching DST

and then Japan goes crazy and wants to implement DST... for 2020 Olympics...

It's stunning how effective the WWW I munition manufacturers lobby still is today. DST was created to save some money for their factories. Farmers, not so much.

Well thats a first, I agree with those commie bastards in the EU about something. DST is stupid, just make it stop.

EU has already surpassed us. First banning loot crates and now the removal of daylight savings.

Silly thing is, people got up early, guess what they still turned the lights on, it didn't save anything. Oh it got dark earlier, they turned the lights on. Its a bunch of nonsense. I don't see where it could have ever saved any energy.
Anymore, many businesses are 24 hour operations with light sensors to turn the lights on and off and guess what, they don't have a day light savings switch.
Besides it not being beneficial why they just didn't say government services will be opened from 8-5 during these months and 9-6 during these months is beyond me, instead they forced clock changes on people.

Maybe in a few decades we'll have a universal global time. That would be nice.

EU finally proved the old adage "you can't be wrong all the time" right. Good job, took you long enough to get one right EU.

Forgot the /s tag? It's really odd how some of you senior members of [H], but not the man himself, often engage in these childish provocations.

Daylight Savings Time is a joke. Messes everyone up 2 x year and does nothing for farmers.

Congress lacks the -er- [.........] to fix it.
It's for businesses who associate the additional daylight with more activity and therefore more spending. I always found that odd. the big bucks always get spent after nightfall.

I especially hate the yearly time changes. I work 12 hr shifts. If I happen to be on nights when the clock falls back an hour, I get to work 13 hours and get paid for 12 while the rest of you sods get more sleep.

But when the clock goes forward I'd work 11 hours and get paid for 12. Problem is if you work one you won't work the other with the way the schedules work.

Conclusion: my union is fucked.

Who authorized the EU to come up with a good idea? DST might have made sense when the average family had one wage earner, and dinner was at 6 and Radio/TV time was after. Now it is just a PITA and seems to cause enough deaths/accidents to justify at least a safety review.

It's not that DLS needs to die. Standard time needs to die and DLS needs to be all year. I much prefer more sun in the evening.

This I agree. I also want the clock changing to stop and "summer time" all year around. The "winter time" may be the normal time if you look at earths rotation but It sucks for us factory workers here up north. In winter its completely dark when you go to work and its completely dark when you leave work, you can see the sun next when spring arrives. If "summer time" would be the norm all year around it would be really nice because there is still some sunlight left when I go home and take my dog out for a walk.

It would probably reduce the need for taking D-vitamin pills too and cut winter depression symptons by half. :p

I really hope they change, because it means we might be able to change as well.

I honestly wish we would just stay on daylight savings, it stays lighter longer at night, which the majority of people have day jobs, so that means more daylight during the hours after work.
But, I would settle for regular time as well, but stop moving time. It just causes more problems then it fixes.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
This I agree. I also want the clock changing to stop and "summer time" all year around. The "winter time" may be the normal time if you look at earths rotation but It sucks for us factory workers here up north. In winter its completely dark when you go to work and its completely dark when you leave work, you can see the sun next when spring arrives. If "summer time" would be the norm all year around it would be really nice because there is still some sunlight left when I go home and take my dog out for a walk.

It would probably reduce the need for taking D-vitamin pills too and cut winter depression symptons by half. :p

This is what has always bugged me, especially when there is a claim that it "saves energy". How, exactly, does it save energy when the time is such that you need to turn on all the lights int he morning, AND turn on all the lights as soon as you get home? Wouldn't it save more energy if you had to turn the lights on in the morning, but had some time in the evening at home that didn't need the lights on? What about the heat? If it wasn't already full dark when you got home in the evening, you might not need to turn the heat up right away.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Back